PDA

View Full Version : Might be a stupid question

Board of Command
Tue, 06-29-2004, 03:05 PM
Ok, I've watched every episode up to date, and I still don't know what a genius is. I might have missed a translation or something. Oro is a genius, along with some others. So what exactly is a "genius" in Naruto?

Mut
Tue, 06-29-2004, 03:09 PM
someone who is smarter and more talented than others. itachi is a genius.

tensai
Tue, 06-29-2004, 03:10 PM
most geniuses are those that have the advanced bloodlines, some like shikamara are smart so they are considered geniuses
there isnt really a category or specific type, they just through in the word genius to show how great that person is i think
well, jiraiya called naruto a genius for creating sexy not jutsu

stos289
Tue, 06-29-2004, 03:12 PM
A genius (in Naruto) is someone who has very high natural abilities in all three forms of being a ninja: ninjustu, genjustu, and taijustu. For example, Neji is considered a genius because of his advanced bloodline techniques and high natural abilities (that is why he was the top rookie in his class). Sasuke is considered a genius also because of his Sharingan and his natural ability. However, a genius is not always strongest as Rock Lee proves that with his work solely on taijustu, he became a master at it and as Naruto proves it with his inability to perform low level techniques but containing a great inner strenght (Kyuubi) and hard work. I hope that cleared that up for you.

Board of Command
Tue, 06-29-2004, 03:23 PM
Thank you. My biggest question answered.

Oh and btw, how do I set a custom avatar on this forum? Everytime I try uploading it gives an error about invalid file...

Mut
Tue, 06-29-2004, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by: BOARD_of_command
Thank you. My biggest question answered.

Oh and btw, how do I set a custom avatar on this forum? Everytime I try uploading it gives an error about invalid file...

http://avatars.gotwoot.net

it can only be .jpg or .png i think.

also, i think you can do it in you profile section.

Assertn
Tue, 06-29-2004, 04:39 PM
make sure to set your avatar to "default" before trying to upload it

PSJ
Tue, 06-29-2004, 04:53 PM
most of the people called genius isnt advanced bloodline persons. and if they are they were concidered geniuses before they were able to use their AB(the uchiha brothers)

Goingin
Tue, 06-29-2004, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by: stos289
A genius (in Naruto) is someone who has very high natural abilities in all three forms of being a ninja: ninjustu, genjustu, and taijustu. For example, Neji is considered a genius because of his advanced bloodline techniques and high natural abilities (that is why he was the top rookie in his class). Sasuke is considered a genius also because of his Sharingan and his natural ability. However, a genius is not always strongest as Rock Lee proves that with his work solely on taijustu, he became a master at it and as Naruto proves it with his inability to perform low level techniques but containing a great inner strenght (Kyuubi) and hard work. I hope that cleared that up for you.

Srry for saying but ur making an ass out of urself by saying opposite things

First u say "A genius (in Naruto) is someone who has very high natural abilities in all three forms of being a ninja: ninjustu, genjustu, and taijustu."

Then ur completely saying the opposite with "However, a genius is not always strongest as Rock Lee proves that with his work solely on taijustu,.."

The last line i got from ur post however is the right one
A genius in Naruto is someone who rises above others on one specific point of life
Like Rock Lee is a genius of hard work, always training to match and become stronger than others, even with only the Taijutsu, while other laugh at him for not able to perform nin- and genjutsu

Board of Command
Tue, 06-29-2004, 05:53 PM
Edit again: finally got it working i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

wirm
Tue, 06-29-2004, 09:26 PM
I think that it is also implied in the anime that a genius has a good intuitive grasp of whatever they are a genius as. That means that he or she learns very quickly and/or have higher potential, as opposed to those who are stuck at a lower level and improve less quickly.

Assertn
Tue, 06-29-2004, 09:52 PM
a genius is someone with natural talent. The art of flipping out and killing things come naturally to them

Masakari
Tue, 06-29-2004, 10:22 PM
Goingin... I don't think you fully understood his post. He referred to Sasuke and Neji as geniuses with high natural talent, while Naruto and Rock Lee did not have high natural talent, but they were still strong because of their other qualities. He wasn't calling Rock lee and Naruto a genius.

Though the genius theme is kind of played out now, because the loser (Naruto) has risen past the rest of the genin, the genius were people like Haku Neji and Sasuke. The drop-outs were Naruto and Rock Lee. Naruto and Rock Lee had a poor upbringing and not much obvious talent, and they had to train very hard to get where they are (though Naruto wouldn't have gone very far without the nine-tail's help).

kupalmaru
Tue, 06-29-2004, 11:02 PM
If your memory is erased, you practically don't know any jutso. If you learn the new jutso fast and use it at a high level, your a genius.

I think being genius has nothing to do with bloodline. They are called genius, because of the way they use their bloodline.

I think if your good at something, but it is natural to you, your not a genius.

If Naruto and Lee are genius they don't need to work hard to the max. They would be able to find a way to cut there work load but produce the same outcome as if Lee's doing a 150 push up. I think that is being a genius.

ShinobiNeko
Wed, 06-30-2004, 12:09 AM
well if you wanted to get technical, dictionary would say that a genius is: 1) usually great intelligence, skill or artistic ability 2) a person who is unusually intelligent or artistic, or who has a very high level of skill, especially in one area.
going by the dictionary, then you can see why someone like shikamaru or itachi would be called a genius,

Foomanchew24
Wed, 06-30-2004, 12:28 AM
I think naruto is a genius at stepping in dog poop, and he seems to come by it naturally. Not sure how that will help him in life but he sure is good at it.

Board of Command
Wed, 06-30-2004, 08:42 AM
I avoided the dictionary definition because I thought it means something different in Japan.

Goingin
Wed, 06-30-2004, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by: Masakari
Goingin... I don't think you fully understood his post. He referred to Sasuke and Neji as geniuses with high natural talent, while Naruto and Rock Lee did not have high natural talent, but they were still strong because of their other qualities. He wasn't calling Rock lee and Naruto a genius.

He did, and i quote: "However, a genius is not always strongest as Rock Lee proves that with his work solely on taijustu,.."
In this sentence he is saying Rock Lee is a genius because it can't be implied any other way (there are stronger people than Rock Lee)

Also, what he said with "A genius (in Naruto) is someone who has very high natural abilities in all three forms of being a ninja: ninjustu, genjustu, and taijustu." isn't correct either.
U can outmaster someone on one jutsu and still be a genius

In my opinion someone with a bloodline limit isn't really a genius on that ground, cause it gives you a special ability at birth and u didn't do anything for it.
I'm not saying someone with a bloodline limit can't be a genius, they can, like Neji, who has accomplished getting better than members of the head family by training a lot and mastering jutsu's by himself

Assertn
Wed, 06-30-2004, 01:26 PM
i think you guys are looking into this too much.......

the idea of genius vs hard worker means things come easily for geniuses, while hard workers need to "work hard" to achieve similiar results.....

same applies to real life, where you have geniuses who can just sit down, take a test, and pass it.......while there are other people who have to spend all night studying before the test to get the same grade.

All it boils down to, is how much effort it takes to become a great ninja

Death BOO Z
Wed, 06-30-2004, 01:35 PM
Naruto isn't the best place to search for the jap meaning of the term 'genius', to fully understand the concept, you need to look at other places...

first, the word it self "TENSAI", which means heaven something (possiblt wielder\master), the two translations to it are either genius or prodigy, it'll come in handy.

now, let's look over some geniuses at other animes, for example: Fuji from prince of tennis, Mikagami from flame of Recca and Soujiro from rurouni kenshin. the thing they all shared was the amazing ability to overshadow anyone else and accend over all excpetations, and even while they weren't the best in the respctive animes, they had natrual abilities much higher than the main charecter.

Fuji from prince of tennis was able to go head to head with Tezuka, and even the computer guy (Ino? Inu? something like that) couldn't read and dechipher him, as shown in the game against Mizuki (from 5-0 to 5-7, without allowing one ball to fall in).
Mikagami was prasied by Kage houshi to be above Recca, not becuase of his strentgh, but becuase of his mindset, he beat the stick guy and the the tree dude with amazing ease.
Soujiro got to be as strong as the hitokiri, and even faster than him, at his prime, he was second (maybe even better than) only Shishio, and all that without one thought of anger or malice, and in the tender age of his teens.

in the Naruto anime, you can catagorize the geniuses into three groups.
A: Itachi, Kakashi, Orochimaru, Neji, Sasuke and maybe the 4th.
B:Shikamaru.
C:Lee, Naruto, Gai, Jiraya, Tsunade.

the first group is composed of true geniuses, people who'se skills at being ninjas were obvisouly above others and came in almost natrually.
the second group is a person of the english meanning of genius, a person with high intellgence.
the third group aren't geniuses, they are people who worked hard to achieve thier goals, and even though some of them were talented, it didn't show enough.

when people say 'genius' they mostly mean the first group, A.K.A the prodigies, in my opinion, the word prodigy fitts in much better.

stos289
Wed, 06-30-2004, 01:57 PM
Originally Posted by: Goingin

Srry for saying but ur making an ass out of urself by saying opposite things. First u say "A genius (in Naruto) is someone who has very high natural abilities in all three forms of being a ninja: ninjustu, genjustu, and taijustu."

Then ur completely saying the opposite with "However, a genius is not always strongest as Rock Lee proves that with his work solely on taijustu,.."

The last line i got from ur post however is the right one. A genius in Naruto is someone who rises above others on one specific point of life
Like Rock Lee is a genius of hard work, always training to match and become stronger than others, even with only the Taijutsu, while other laugh at him for not able to perform nin- and genjutsu.

Sorry about that. I didn't know that this would become so controversial. Your right, I contradicted myself by saying that Rock Lee was considered a genius. I was just trying to think up of something off the top of my head. If I could fix my statement, this is what I meant. I meant that you don't have to be a genius, to be a strong person. Rock Lee did not have any kind of natural talent but with is hard-work in taijustu, he achieved a "genius" (and I used that solely as an adjective, I don't consider Rock Lee as a genius) like status in that field. Also this is my description of a "genius." Everyone else is intitled to there own interpretation of the word "genius." Again, I'm sorry for making an ass of myself and I promise I'll try to be more aware next time. Hope that cleared that up.

chambers
Wed, 06-30-2004, 02:01 PM
gai called rock lee a hard work genius did he not? this would seem to suggest gai was infact a genius but rather than having an natural ability to use a certain technique he is pre disposed to hard work. seems realistic to me, especially as real geniuses in life are the hardworking ones.

Assertn
Wed, 06-30-2004, 05:37 PM
i dont think the line kakashi said about lee being a genius was meant to be taken seriously

its probably just a way of demonstrating how surprised he was for a genin to be able to unlock gates......geez

Board of Command
Wed, 06-30-2004, 07:06 PM
I'd agree on that. It was just a way to say how hard Lee works.