PDA

View Full Version : Handball through out the world.

PSJ
Mon, 06-28-2004, 07:24 PM
well the title probably says the most, i just want to know if anyone of you guys plays or have came across handball. for example is it played much in north america? or asia?

im going to a cup tomorrow and we are facing a canadian team from quebec. so i thought id check to see if you guys knew anything here.

as for my own country, sweden we have had something of a golden age of handball for the last 15 years taking medals in almost every euro and world cup. i think we only missed medals 2 or 3 times the last 15 years which is quite good in my opinion.

Mut
Mon, 06-28-2004, 07:27 PM
uhh... i live in so cal and handball at my area was hitting a ball (red rubbery ball) against a wall and stuff. is that the same thing you're talking about.

PSJ
Mon, 06-28-2004, 07:29 PM
not at all, im talking about a real sport where the teams are made up by seven players 1 goal keeper and 6 field players(or whatever you call it) the whole team is playing both offense and defense and have diffrent roles(exept the goal keeper of course, who only gaurds the goal i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif). its a great game very fast and many goals, not as much as basket but still quite fast.

joker-kun
Mon, 06-28-2004, 08:01 PM
Is it the thing where you can only take 3 steps and then pass, and you need to have 3 passes before you can shoot? [if it is, here thats called "European Handball, Im Canadian]

JusDaMan
Mon, 06-28-2004, 09:40 PM
in ny We play Hand ball... we use a wall. 2-4 players (singles or double) then we play. there's short and long(serves) and there are stuff called killers, out. even though it's not a known sport it is quite popular in our neighborhoods

Assertn
Tue, 06-29-2004, 03:12 AM
i cant say that im familiar with such a sport

PSJ
Tue, 06-29-2004, 05:59 AM
Originally posted by: joker-kun
Is it the thing where you can only take 3 steps and then pass, and you need to have 3 passes before you can shoot? [if it is, here thats called "European Handball, Im Canadian]

yea thats more like it, but you dont need 3 passes to score. and you can bounce the ball and run instead of just taking 3 steps and then pass.

r3n
Tue, 06-29-2004, 06:24 AM
i live in the UK, its not popular here at all, i think its only girls that play it sometimes

Stoopider
Tue, 06-29-2004, 07:32 AM
Yup. Mostly girls play during sports. Either than that.. zit. It's not popular here. Soccer's the world's sport i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

PSJ
Tue, 06-29-2004, 07:41 AM
:/ i guess its mostly played in europe with the exeption of the UK

Swallow Your Soul
Tue, 06-29-2004, 09:28 AM
Yeah I think thats the way it is...I've seen little clips of it on TV when they show novelty sports (thats not to say handball is a novelty sport...it just is to us in the UK) etc.

I hear its absolutely huge in Germany, I guess if it was televised over here it could be one of the few sports I actually like to watch besides football (and tennis when its Wimbledon and very very VERY occasionally snooker).

Assertn
Tue, 06-29-2004, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by: Pervert-Sennin Jiraiya

yea thats more like it, but you dont need 3 passes to score. and you can bounce the ball and run instead of just taking 3 steps and then pass.

sounds......like basketball to me

Goingin
Tue, 06-29-2004, 11:07 AM
Here in Holland u don't see much handball, actually, i myself dont even like the sport... but hey, that's just me i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

Even hockey (not the ice version) is more popular than handball here i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif (don't like that either)

Gods_Son
Tue, 06-29-2004, 12:38 PM
I think people are getting handball confused with dodgeball, but both aren't taken seriously where I live anyways (New Jersey).

Darkflare
Tue, 06-29-2004, 12:43 PM
no, not dodgeball. i think i know the handball you are talking about. its like you have to goals, dunno the size but ill just say they are like hockey goals and you pass the ball, or dribble it around and such then try to throw the ball into the goal. is that it? if it is, that game is only played in gym class here

Swallow Your Soul
Tue, 06-29-2004, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by: AssertnFailure

Originally posted by: Pervert-Sennin Jiraiya

sounds......like basketball to me

Yeah it does a bit, except the scoring (at least when I saw it on TV) is more like football (soccer).

Aeon
Tue, 06-29-2004, 01:55 PM
It must not be popular here in Philly, I've never heard of it before till now.

PSJ
Tue, 06-29-2004, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by: Darkflare
no, not dodgeball. i think i know the handball you are talking about. its like you have to goals, dunno the size but ill just say they are like hockey goals and you pass the ball, or dribble it around and such then try to throw the ball into the goal. is that it? if it is, that game is only played in gym class here

hehe yea something like that. its really much more complex. the real thing is anyway. if i were a gym teacher i wouldnt let my students play it since it requires a certain knowledge about the sport.

you guys run around all over the court and just throws the ball to the nearest open player? if you do thats not really how you do it...

Xollence
Tue, 06-29-2004, 02:55 PM
We call it "red ass" over here because you get pegged in the ass if you lose.

Darkflare
Tue, 06-29-2004, 03:39 PM
i think redass is yet another game you are thinking about xoll. is that where you throw a ball at a wall and yo have to catch it, but if it hits you and touches the ground you have to run to the wall before someone throws the ball at the wall?

PSJ
Tue, 06-29-2004, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by: Xollence
We call it "red ass" over here because you get pegged in the ass if you lose.

lol sounds hmm, not fun. i dont think we are talking about the same game.