PDA

View Full Version : Which do you think is better?

MisterBigs
Mon, 06-28-2004, 08:51 AM
Probably the only problem I have with AA is the way they translate the words Ninjutsu and the other jutsu words. I would prefer to read the Japanese words.

What do you think?

Rek
Mon, 06-28-2004, 09:05 AM
I agree, I like reading stuff like Ero-Sennin, over perverted hermit. It seems to me kinda like they are changing it.. almost as bad as if they changed their names to appease american audiences...

Mut
Mon, 06-28-2004, 12:13 PM
japanese is cooler than english.

Darkflare
Mon, 06-28-2004, 12:23 PM
names changed? like Lee Lock? I also think the japanese is cooler but i am sure there are people who see it the other way and would prefer the translation

Assertn
Mon, 06-28-2004, 01:01 PM
i prefer "Ninjutsu", "Taijutsu", and "Genjutsu", because the similiar naming helps to emphasize that they are linked together.

What bothers me the most though is when they call Taijutsu "Hand to hand combat".......especailly when the character in the show references it alot...because then the sentence gets all long-winded, and it doesnt sound like he's actually talking about a technique, but rather just random punching.

Stoopider
Mon, 06-28-2004, 02:01 PM
Naruto = "CherryBlossom, CherryBlossom!!"

Sakura = "Yes, whirly fishcake?"

kaigan
Mon, 06-28-2004, 03:15 PM
yea, the japanese word would be more fitting. it just sounds better and go with the flow.

Mae
Mon, 06-28-2004, 05:02 PM
Actually, I like it best when they have both the name of the jutsu AND it's translation underneath.

Mon, 06-28-2004, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by: Mae
Actually, I like it best when they have both the name of the jutsu AND it's translation underneath.

agreed. but english comes first for a subbing group...

the main audience is naruto newbies/intermediate... we diehard fans are just surpluses

gamervick
Mon, 06-28-2004, 11:10 PM
i like it better when they keep it in its japanese form

Eurasian
Mon, 06-28-2004, 11:36 PM
romaji is better to me. Yeah, they could put the translation for it on top or something to clarify it for ppl who don't understand.

MisterBigs
Tue, 06-29-2004, 12:01 AM
I definitely prefer the Japanese words for jutsus and I also prefer to read ero sanin. I think there are a lot of words that should be translated; I downloaded an episode from another group that had way too many Japanese words in it with notes on top. For example Nindo for me is a coin toss. Of course we dont want Itachi to be translated to weasel or if they dare Orochimaru to Snake-amaru, but things like ninja technique just does not flow IHMO.

010577, I dont think thats the point of view of AA. Any fan of Naruto would have started with a resent episode and then ran to start form the beginning. By episode 30 a real fan would already know the Japanese for many of these words anyway.

DarthEnderX
Tue, 06-29-2004, 04:49 AM

I concur. I like it when the word is left in the sentence at the bottom, and the translation is noted at the top of the screen. Alot of places might only do that the first time the word appears, I like it every time.

r3n
Tue, 06-29-2004, 06:29 AM
ShinOtaku subs have the japanese words for certain things, like they use ero-sennin, taijutsu etc, with a translation somewhere else on the page

Pyron
Tue, 06-29-2004, 07:33 AM
jap is better for the most part

Board of Command
Tue, 06-29-2004, 09:23 AM
Japanese in sentence with corresponding translation on top.

woofcat
Tue, 06-29-2004, 09:33 AM
I perfer is when they use the Japanese word in the main sub at the bottom and when they come to a word that no one know put it at the top, buy no one know i mean dont put Ero-Sennin as perverted hermit at the top every time Naruto says it.

Rek
Tue, 06-29-2004, 11:12 AM
I got an IDEA! why not just have the entire subtitle in Japanese!!!?!? that'd be really cool..

I'm kidding.. but as it was said before, the groups really are just appeasing to the unlearned masses... but you'd think after 80 episodes, fans would kinda understand that taijutsu means hand to hand combat

FearTheMullet
Tue, 06-29-2004, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by: Konoha Rek
I got an IDEA! why not just have the entire subtitle in Japanese!!!?!? that'd be really cool..

I'm kidding.. but as it was said before, the groups really are just appeasing to the unlearned masses... but you'd think after 80 episodes, fans would kinda understand that taijutsu means hand to hand combat

Hand to hand? I thought for the longest time tie jutsu and sometihng to do with laces...i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

ShinobiNeko
Wed, 06-30-2004, 12:23 AM
i prefer as ninjutsu, genjutsu, taijutsu...for me, just seems better, same goes for ero-sennin instead of perverted hermit. I think some sound better as they are, and i also agree that they don't need the translation of something like ero-sennin every time it's said, you get it after the 1st-2nd one.

kuro
Thu, 07-01-2004, 06:36 PM
i prefer the japanese words over english translations myself but AA is doing a great job and any positive changes will just be icing on the cake. however i wish that comercial retailers of manga and anime like tokyopop and viz would learn from there example cause if i hear one more person say "Art of the Doppelganger" at B&N im gonna pull an assassanation jutsu of my own...