PDA

View Full Version : Okay, forgive my extreme noobery

jaredwilde
Sun, 06-27-2004, 11:50 PM
Okay, so my friend got me hooked on Naruto. He said he downloaded all his Episodes from here, so I figured I'd start watching/downloading them myself, rather than going over to his house all the time. I have DivX and Windows Media, but whenever I download an episode and try and watch it, it gives me an error message, saying "Failed to open file. Please check that it is a valid AVi or MPEG-4 file". Is there some kind of codec or something I need to download to watch these. For general info, I'm on episode 61

Either just respond here, e-mail at jd_rowe@hotmail.com or IM me AIM BigJD2004

Locke
Mon, 06-28-2004, 01:02 AM
www.k-litecodecpack.com

Get any of thier codec packs. That should do it. If you want to be lazy, just get www.videolan.net 's player.

complich8
Mon, 06-28-2004, 03:19 AM
I would say just get ffdshow ( http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/ffdshow/ffdshow-20030523.exe?download ) and watch in a sane media player of your choice.

Videolan works as a "sane media player" by the way i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif. I prefer media player classic though.

I don't recommend codec packs....

I'm thinking that invalid avi or mpeg4 file is probably not a codec issue though. I presume you're getting it from bittorrent? Make sure that the file or batch is done downloading before you try to play it, since bittorrent gets data in a random order, you might end up with the episode size all allocated out but it may not be data that a player can make sense of. If in doubt, point the torrent at it again and see what it says, and I'll bet dollars to donuts that that's your problem.