PDA

View Full Version : play station pocket??

noodles126
Sat, 06-26-2004, 02:05 AM
i think that is what its called... i heard it was like a ps but mini sized and portable.. i mayb wrong any one else hurd about this?

hopeknight
Sat, 06-26-2004, 02:38 AM
I think you are refering to the PSP or Playstation Portable. It's sony's new system. It's a handheld that uses UMD discs instead of DVDs. I think it will be out within the next year.

Uzumaki Naruto
Sat, 06-26-2004, 04:18 PM
at first i though you gusy were refering to the pocket station that came out for the ps a few years back but now that i know what it is , do u know how much it will cost

SamuraiOdin
Sat, 06-26-2004, 04:46 PM
Recently one of the more popular gaming magazines (I think it was EGM) did a comparison between Nintendo's Dual Screen (Nintendo DS, though that's just the code name for it now, not what it will be when it goes on the market) and the PSP. They highlighted some of the games that will be available and such, as well as system specs and possible prices. Neither portable system has a definate price yet, but EGM is saying that the Nintendo DS will be around $150 US, and the PSP will be around $300 initally. Some people will take a look at the PSP price and instantly turned off. However, the PSP is also being built to play movies, in the new UMD format, play music, and other such activities not to mention the graphics being of a much higher quality. Also, while the Nintendo DS has a touch-screen in the lower half as a possible controller, it lacks an analog controller, which the PSP has. Over all the magazine said that it looks like the PSP will win out in the overall battle, but it really was too early to tell.

JusDaMan
Sat, 06-26-2004, 05:32 PM
Sony Won't win in the portable battles... Nintendo will always dominate the portable products no matter what... They have been doing portable ever since G&W(game and watch). but Wat has sony done in the portable stuff? This is their 2nd release of a portable...(the US didnt even try to promote pocketstation). Sony will be doing what sega did... sega was a good company... but they went in to new territory.... Game gear screwed them over... Nokia n gage screw nokia over...

FLASH I AM OUT!

Uchiha Barles
Sat, 06-26-2004, 07:26 PM
You're logic is a little flawed. Sony, to my knowledge, didn't have much experience in the gaming industry when they came out with the playstation. The vast majority of third party developers began making games for the playstation, often exclusively. Even when the N64 came out, Nintendo failed to regain a significant portion portion of third party developers, and the playstation stilled ruled as gaming king. They may be able to pull that off in the handheld area as well. I sure hope not.

I hope that nintendo will win, and the fact that it has two screens should be what makes it possible. It is their intention that the two screens will revolutionize game play. Since it's nintendo, I have confidence in their ability to make it happen. However, the psp is loaded with more features like movie playing, and has superior hardware. It should all boil down to whether people are more into gameplay or features and flash.

NM
Sat, 06-26-2004, 07:28 PM
If you check out Gamespot, almost all the N-Gage games they review all apparently suck, lol. JusdaMan is right, Nintendo rocks in the portable products with their Gameboy Advance. I mean, they've done so much stuff to that small little game system. You can connect it to your Gamecube and use the Gameboy game to help you out in the Gamecube game, play your Gameboy game on the tv, and now you can watch videos on the GBA. But im curious to see what Sony's gonna do.

Knives122
Sat, 06-26-2004, 08:53 PM
the only thing im buying the PSP for is to put music on it thats about it

oceen246
Sat, 06-26-2004, 11:59 PM
I agree with Uchiha Barles, when the playstation first came out, everybody thought sony was going to fail, because the 2 leaders in the game industry were sega and nintendo. But now look at them, you can't even use them as references anymore, the 2 leaders now are Sony and Microsoft. Sony is well known to success where others have failed. I know whenever word is coming out about the PSP being in stores, I will definitively buy it.

Assertn
Sun, 06-27-2004, 02:36 AM
Originally posted by: oceen246
I agree with Uchiha Barles, when the playstation first came out, everybody thought sony was going to fail, because the 2 leaders in the game industry were sega and nintendo. But now look at them, you can't even use them as references anymore, the 2 leaders now are Sony and Microsoft. Sony is well known to success where others have failed. I know whenever word is coming out about the PSP being in stores, I will definitively buy it.

are you.....implying that nintendo will fail?

badgats
Sun, 06-27-2004, 03:25 AM
who really wants to buy a new console to play old PS games i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif i mean the PS games where good but u wont catch me playing ridge racer on a bus i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif

Swallow Your Soul
Sun, 06-27-2004, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by: Uchiha Barles
It should all boil down to whether people are more into gameplay or features and flash.

May God have mercy on us all i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif.

Most people I know usually lean towards the latter i/expressions/rolleye.gif

oceen246
Sun, 06-27-2004, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by: AssertnFailure

are you.....implying that nintendo will fail?

No I'm not, nintendo is big comptetion, biggest ever. I don't know what will happen, but I know Sony won't be left behind, because they already proved me that, as I was part of the people who said Sony was going to fail with the playstation, and when they first started to make computers, and they completly shut me up.

Legendary Nin
Sun, 06-27-2004, 08:04 PM
Famitsuof Japan talked to all the big Japanese developers,in the end the Nintendo DS came out on top.Here's the article for reference.

http://gameboy.ign.com/articles/523/523718p1.html

woofcat
Tue, 06-29-2004, 09:53 AM
I am a very large fan of nintendo. I still have a NES and a SNES and a Normal Gameboy and a GBC and a GBA. I will not get a N64 or a Gamecube. I belive Nintendo should go back to side scrollers. The sidescrollers is what they made and what made them. If nintendo released all there classic Mario games, all the supernintento hits. (Mega man X, Sim city, etc) on there new system and made new 2D sidescrollers of Mario. Then it would win my purchase. As of what i have seen of is psp i think it will be great. I have not looked at weither or not you can hook the memorycard to your computer. If you can i think it would be great if they made it almost a Portable media player. if it was capable of playing .AVI and .WMV then i would rush out to buy the PSP the day it comes out. A draw back on the PSP is some people have perdicted the systems cost at around $400-500USD. Nintendos products have always been priced fairly. I will just have to wait to see the winner.

tensai
Tue, 06-29-2004, 10:35 AM
you call yourself a large fan but you dont own n64 or GC? im wondering if you actually tried the new games for the two systems and believe that they are better than sidescrollers
oh well
PSP looks interesting, dont know if ill buy it when it releases but maybe when its price drops
PSP is using new technology and power, whereas DS is going for innovation with decent graphics between that of n64 and GC.
price is going to be a big factor in seeing whose the winner (look at how much the GC sold when it dropped down to 100), but then again PS2 was 300 when it cane out and hella people bought it (maybe because it was the first new powerful system out (instead of the dreamcast))

Assertn
Tue, 06-29-2004, 10:41 AM
if nintendo went back to sidescrollers.......then they would go out of business

if you dont keep up with the times, then you arent gonna get very far. Even if alot of people say the games for the NES and SNES were awesome, it doesnt mean that alot of people are gonna buy full blown console games that are of comparable style these days.

I hope you know, the PSP probably wont have alot of side scroller games

shadowmantis
Tue, 06-29-2004, 01:51 PM
pocket playstation was only released in japan, i think. final fantasy 8 had a mini game for it. it sucked.

SamuraiOdin
Wed, 06-30-2004, 12:15 PM
Shadowmantis, that isn't the same thing. It was a different portable system that Sony just kinda tossed into the market without much prep work. The PSP, however, is expected to be able to compete, and possibly even beat, Nintendo's hand-held systems.

hopeknight
Wed, 06-30-2004, 03:02 PM

Microsoft??? Japan is the major video game market and the Xbox sells squat there. Microsofts sales are mostly only in America, whereas Nintendo has very large sales worldwide.

I'm sorry but the 2 major consoles right now are Nintendo and Sony, Xbox has a long way to go in my opinion to recieve the same recognition.

It's a shame Sega flopped, I grew up with a Sega. I'm glad they are still doing third-party games for the other systems at least, otherwise we wouldn't get some really freat games.

I would buy the PSP if I ever really had a use for a portable game system. I don't play enough games to need that.

The Gameboy DS is currently featuring releases of N64 games on a portable system (like Mario 64 and Mario Kart 64), I would like to see some original material for the system in the near future.

shadowmantis
Wed, 06-30-2004, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by: SamuraiOdin
Shadowmantis, that isn't the same thing. It was a different portable system that Sony just kinda tossed into the market without much prep work. The PSP, however, is expected to be able to compete, and possibly even beat, Nintendo's hand-held systems.

yeah but he asked about playstation pocket, not psp i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

Assertn
Wed, 06-30-2004, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by: SamuraiOdin

thats a big "possibly" you got there

shadowmantis
Wed, 06-30-2004, 07:43 PM
eh, i think PSP is technically better than DS. i'm a nintendo fanboy, too.

SamuraiOdin
Wed, 06-30-2004, 09:41 PM
thats a big "possibly" you got there

Yea, it is. But really, until the systems are released, it is all just speculation. If I base my opinion on EGM's information, then someone comes up with another source that says the opposite. Who is to say what source is correct... it is really too early to tell. Hence the PSP might possibly beat the DS, and the DS might possibly beat the PSP.

Assertn
Thu, 07-01-2004, 01:34 AM
Originally posted by: shadowmantis
eh, i think PSP is technically better than DS. i'm a nintendo fanboy, too.

graphics is just one small fraction of the worth of a game/system
hardly the deciding factor on what is better

s0ulz x r3frain
Thu, 07-01-2004, 02:21 AM
Originally posted by: badgats
who really wants to buy a new console to play old PS games i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif i mean the PS games where good but u wont catch me playing ridge racer on a bus i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif

i hope ur not referring to the psp... in my opinion, and many of my friends, the psp will dominate nintendo's new DS. simply because of the various features it will have such as movies, music, and even wireless network. the only reason the gb series is dominating right now is that its practically the only handheld game console out there. N-gage who? they didnt do enough advertising and promotions to become popular and sega was way out of it because of the lack of good games. nintendo's GB series rose up and took power because there was no competition in the first place. but just you wait and see when sony comes in [just like when playstation came in vs. n64] and it will surely dominate. in my opinion i dont see whats so great about 2 screens compared to the multi functions of the psp. and to add on to it the psp will have fairly the same graphic engine as the ps2

tensai
Thu, 07-01-2004, 02:40 AM
i think the ds two screens is really innovative, which is what nintendo is going for, what psp has is technology that everyone else probably already has elsewhere bunched into one little thing (but i still like it btw) there are many portable devices out there already, and another ones coming out?
i'd say the dvd movie thing is cool, but its kinda small to fully enjoy it, but it also has to be in the little type of cd thingy that the psp uses
the ds also has wireless connection too (i think) - okay i should stop talking about the ds and get back to the topic
the psp's graphics are pretty good, but what AssertnFailure said was true too
the system looks cool, and i think its power ranks close to the PS2's if im not mistaken
in the end we'll just see what happens between the DS and the PSP

Assertn
Thu, 07-01-2004, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by: s0ulz x r3frain

Originally posted by: badgats

i hope ur not referring to the psp... in my opinion, and many of my friends, the psp will dominate nintendo's new DS. simply because of the various features it will have such as movies, music, and even wireless network. the only reason the gb series is dominating right now is that its practically the only handheld game console out there. N-gage who? they didnt do enough advertising and promotions to become popular and sega was way out of it because of the lack of good games. nintendo's GB series rose up and took power because there was no competition in the first place. but just you wait and see when sony comes in [just like when playstation came in vs. n64] and it will surely dominate. in my opinion i dont see whats so great about 2 screens compared to the multi functions of the psp. and to add on to it the psp will have fairly the same graphic engine as the ps2

the DS has a wireless network that supports like, 16 people....so whup de do

i already have an mp3 player, and who the hell would want to look at a puny screen just to watch movies? not to mention the movies will have to be specially formatted to ONLY work on the PSP....not only would you spend extra money just to buy the special movie disk, but i'm sure a significant reason for PSP's high price is to support watching movies....just as it was for the PS2

what a waste

shadowmantis
Thu, 07-01-2004, 06:22 PM
hey, if DS is gonna be as low-price as they say, i already know what i'm buying.

graphically, PSP seems to be way better. but nothing will ever beat nintendo games, gameplay/replay value wise. especially on handheld systems.

metroid prime is one of my favorite new gen games, i was freaked out to see it on DS. and mario 64.. well.. that's a legend.

turn based metal gear? ha!

hopeknight
Thu, 07-01-2004, 10:50 PM
Well we could all sit here and debate features all week, but what it comes down to in the end is; which system has the games you want to play? I don't care much about the nitty gritty spec details, the reason why I bought Sony systems instead of Nintendo is because Sony had the majority of the RPGs (my favorite genre).

So I think the deciding factor for most people will be which games will come out for the PSP and DS when they come out.

Assertn
Fri, 07-02-2004, 01:17 AM
well yeah, rpgs no question

sony seems to be the best for gamers who like 1 player games i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

s0ulz x r3frain
Fri, 07-02-2004, 01:26 AM
but isnt the games the one that brought up to the playstion to being bigger than n64? i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

or ps2 over gc?

hopeknight
Fri, 07-02-2004, 01:56 AM
Yeah Nintendo does tend to be better for 4 player games and such (Mario Kart rules). However their new idea of having people need GBA's to play certain multiplayer games like FF Chronicles is just wrong. Now in order to play the four player game, you need a Gamecube AND three GBA's, talk about a scam to get money. I lost some respect for Nintendo for doing that.

Assertn
Fri, 07-02-2004, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by: hopeknight
Yeah Nintendo does tend to be better for 4 player games and such (Mario Kart rules). However their new idea of having people need GBA's to play certain multiplayer games like FF Chronicles is just wrong. Now in order to play the four player game, you need a Gamecube AND three GBA's, talk about a scam to get money. I lost some respect for Nintendo for doing that.

exactly.....and 8 player mario kart is a very beautiful sight as well........oh man 8 player battle mode is soo nuts......

I know what you're getting at with the need for gbas and link cables to experience some of the more interesting 4 player games out there.....but the way i see it, is that they took an innovative concept like combining hand held to console, and then made a few games that prospered from it. If it didnt need the gbas, then there would be no point to even coming up with the linkability in the first place. So if you have it, then you can play it, if you dont....then there's many other 4 player games to choose from.

It's better than them not releasing chronicles or 4 swords at all, isnt it?

and, s0ulz x r3frain, i dont waste my time arguing with people who rely on their herd mentality to get their point across i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

chambers
Fri, 07-02-2004, 02:49 PM
ive gone off nintendo nowdays, there quality has just dropped so much i cant believe it. take games on the nes such as the mario bros series and punchout and other well known games, all of them are classics, same goes for the snes an there updates new franchises. however the 64 stoped making new games and just updates them but at least games like f-zero and mario were improved upon. now on the GC i havent been in pressed with a single update game so far except for res evil wich nintendo didnt even do

shadowmantis
Fri, 07-02-2004, 02:54 PM
do you own a gamecube?

have you played windwaker? if not 'improved', it's definately a new view on zelda. starfox? not different? man, gamecube mutated classic games, and made them better. metroid prime, anyone? dude, i have ps2 and gc, and i can say that - hands down - gamecube has the best games. but that's personal opinion. saying they don't change and improve is pure blasphemy i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

chambers
Fri, 07-02-2004, 03:04 PM
i have all three, and i can provide pics if you dont believe me. i think hands down its xbox>ps2>GC. i really think that the only games worth owning on GC are viewtiful joe an res evil series. metroid to me was a huge let down, and yes i do own it. wind waker isnt improved its the same game but without hyrule field, wich was one of the best parts of the other zelda. mario kart is an abomination, and starfox would never EVER have lived up to my expectations because 64 was my fave 64 game. but as it stands its a piss poor cash in game, it wasnt even designed with starfox in mind originally it was just so poor they tacked it on to boost sales. mario was one of my biggest video gaming let down moments EVER and i think a lot of other people feel the same way, its not bad, but it aint mario. wave race was shoddy. 1080 was a conversion of a game that looked amazing but was actually little fun to play, compared to other snowboard games.

and for your infomation i own all of nintendos consoles released in my country. i think the snes is the 2nd best console ever and i LOVE my gba to death. but they have lost the plot with all this connectivity bullshit and non original games.

shadowmantis
Fri, 07-02-2004, 03:29 PM
opinions

chambers
Fri, 07-02-2004, 03:56 PM
yes but most of them are true for example track design in GC fzero<<<<<<<<<<<<X
wave race 64>>>>>>>>>>gc 64
star fox on GC=afterthough, poorly planned an designed
shine<<<<<<<<<64
64 zeldas>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>wind waker

Assertn
Fri, 07-02-2004, 04:48 PM
opinions

btw, dont compare the gc star fox to the n64 starfox, because the gc one wasnt supposed to be a star fox game when it was first being created. wait for the 2nd starfox gcn game, and then compare THAT

Uchiha Barles
Fri, 07-02-2004, 05:52 PM
Well we could all sit here and debate features all week, but what it comes down to in the end is; which system has the games you want to play? I don't care much about the nitty gritty spec details, the reason why I bought Sony systems instead of Nintendo is because Sony had the majority of the RPGs (my favorite genre).

So I think the deciding factor for most people will be which games will come out for the PSP and DS when they come out.

I think a lot of companies are going to want to play around with the DS's 2 screens, so a lot of games should be coming to nintendo, including rpgs (I think of more than a couple of ways to use the dual screen in an rpg). From the things I've read, this was nintendo's intent.

I also agree that, despite the fact that nintendo doesn't have many games compared to sony, they still have the best games. I can only hope that this leap brings good things to nintendo.

chambers
Fri, 07-02-2004, 07:49 PM
AF i will compare them because they have the same name, if you read my post you will see i know that starfox was supposed to be the 64's dinosaur planet. also whats the point in arguing saying that the GC is better than the ps2 when anyone who posts otherwise you just post opinions?

SamuraiOdin
Fri, 07-02-2004, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by: Uchiha Barles

I think a lot of companies are going to want to play around with the DS's 2 screens, so a lot of games should be coming to nintendo, including rpgs (I think of more than a couple of ways to use the dual screen in an rpg). From the things I've read, this was nintendo's intent.

I also agree that, despite the fact that nintendo doesn't have many games compared to sony, they still have the best games. I can only hope that this leap brings good things to nintendo.

I dunno about the RPG thing using the dual screens... Now some people might disagree with my next statement, which would make my argument invalid, but here goes anyway. It is my belief that the king of RPG making companies is Squaresoft (or Square-Enix, or whatever the hell they are called now). In the EGM article, however, one of their main guys that works on the FFs stated that he couldn't think of a very good reason to use the second screen on the DS. Now then, this doesn't mean that an FF on the DS wouldn't be awesome, as it is possible to use only one of the screens, and leave the other blank, as Nintendo has stated is a valid option. However, if you think about it, the FF guy is right. What use would a second screen be to an RPG? And by RPG, I mean true RPGS, such as Final Fantasy, Suikoden, ect., not games that pretend to be RPGs, such as Zelda (no offense to Zelda fans, but those games should be under a different genre heading). You might be able to use the second screen for a status window, but that really isn't needed, as you could always just pull up a status window on the main screen. There may be something I'm over looking though... And maybe there is some huge way to improve RPGs by using a second screen, but I can't think of one. Now I know this makes me sound very anti-DS, but I'm not... I'm planning on getting both systems, if finances allow it, so I look forward to games on both.

s0ulz x r3frain
Sat, 07-03-2004, 02:47 AM

exactly.....and 8 player mario kart is a very beautiful sight as well........oh man 8 player battle mode is soo nuts......

I know what you're getting at with the need for gbas and link cables to experience some of the more interesting 4 player games out there.....but the way i see it, is that they took an innovative concept like combining hand held to console, and then made a few games that prospered from it. If it didnt need the gbas, then there would be no point to even coming up with the linkability in the first place. So if you have it, then you can play it, if you dont....then there's many other 4 player games to choose from.

It's better than them not releasing chronicles or 4 swords at all, isnt it?

and, s0ulz x r3frain, i dont waste my time arguing with people who rely on their herd mentality to get their point across i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

and what do u mean by herd mentality? i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif