PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo DS

JusDaMan
Wed, 06-23-2004, 11:08 PM
http://www.nintendo.com/newsarticle?articleid=7bcea104-5b95-469a-badd-92bc08bcad8c&page=other
http://www.nintendo.com/e3_2004/ds/index.jsp

Yoooo this nintendo DS is gonna be mad aite! its going back to the basic G&W LCD type format screen. dual screen. its mad tight!

It has the graphics slightly better than N-64

Its gonna pwn PSP(graphics slightly less than ps2), ngage QD (atleast u can slide chip in , Zodiac (true old school games)

shadowmantis
Thu, 06-24-2004, 12:22 AM
you type funny

Assertn
Thu, 06-24-2004, 03:52 AM
you coulda just used the "Nintendo at E3" topic for that

shadowmantis
Thu, 06-24-2004, 05:26 AM
yeah but making new threads is mad tight i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

PSJ
Thu, 06-24-2004, 09:02 AM
this thing is going to cost a fortune.

shadowmantis
Thu, 06-24-2004, 09:07 AM
in the beginning t might, but as soon as we see psp come to market, it's gonna drop. just like gamecube dropped from 299 to 99 euros.

JusDaMan
Thu, 06-24-2004, 10:57 AM
Lol my bad! o forgot there waas a nintendo e3... AIte u can lock this forum up.

But Psp Is too overated. Nintendo has always been a portable electronics company. thats y they cant do crap about gamecube. but sony, this is the 2nd time they ever launched a portable system (pocketstation, and playstation pocket). Samthing with Sega. if they stuck with the home machines and not use handheld they wouldnt have gone bankrupt.

Assertn
Thu, 06-24-2004, 12:48 PM
actually i think most people are looking forward to the DS more than the PSP.....
no matter how biased you may be, you cant argue that nintendo dominates the portable market

although i do know of one or two people who seem to prefer the PSP....

Swallow Your Soul
Thu, 06-24-2004, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by: Pervert-Sennin Jiraiya
this thing is going to cost a fortune.

I heard it was gonna be miles less than the PSP...possibly less than £100 GBP, wheras the PSP will be very expensive.

PSJ
Thu, 06-24-2004, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by: shadowmantis
in the beginning t might, but as soon as we see psp come to market, it's gonna drop. just like gamecube dropped from 299 to 99 euros.

lol 299 euros is a crazy price, was anybody buying that?

shadowmantis
Thu, 06-24-2004, 05:34 PM
i did i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

PSJ
Thu, 06-24-2004, 05:59 PM
wow thats crazy i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif im to poor to buy things like that i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

KameronFrye
Thu, 11-25-2004, 04:49 PM
Once my overtime check comes in, I'm going to pick one up. We got two displays at the store to show off the wireless networking bit, we were going to put them 50ish ft apart from each other. While setting it up, we found out that we couldn't. So now we have a second one, sitting in the store, collecting dust. If I'm lucky, I'll get that one.

What does PSP offer for head-to-head gaming? I don't hold a lot of stock out for it, simply because Nintendo == innovation. Playstation == marketing. Odd nugget that most of you didn't know: Playstation was originally developed as a Nintendo accessory. Nintendo scrapped it after the Sega CD bombed, which was why their stance on not needing games on CDs came about. They didn't see the viability in it, so they cancelled the project after completion. Sony took the system, made it into a stand-alone product, and released the Playstation onto the world. If Nintendo had just bought the bullet, Sony wouldn't have ridden the cloud of success off of Nintendo. Look at the controller for the Playstation (sans Dual Analog), the layout is the exact same as a SNES controller, only with two additional shoulder buttons and some minor cosmetic changes.

Since Nintendo basically made Playstation for Sony, this is why I think they will fail as a developer on the PSP. Sure, it has some neat stuff for it, but Sony is gonna get the bite like Sega got on the Saturn on this one. The DS has sold out of every store locally, we ran through about 60 of them since Sunday. The pricepoint of $149.99 helps it, along with the fact it's GBA compatible. Sony has nothing to be backwards compatible with, so that'll stifle it's catalogue of games for launch. Also, look at the PS2... it had excellent first year sales, and the second year saw hot titles for PS2 (FFX, GT3, MGS2) coming out with the launch of Xbox/Cube. But by the third year, the steam for hot, must-have gaming came up short in comparison, especially in the department of online gaming via Xbox. If Sony has no way of quality multiplayer gaming other than sharing a screen, I doubt I'll be getting one. Graphics are nice, but I don't play games simply because they're pretty; I play games because they're fun.

Lefty
Thu, 11-25-2004, 06:00 PM
Hey MGS3 came out for PS2 and the PSP won't be out till like april-may ish for a US release so the launch cataloge will be huge in comparsion to the DS which has like five games. Granted the PSP will be like 250 (USD). We just need to wait and see. Granted the ds touch screen is really cool and inovative, like one of their launch games actually uses it. Both systems are going to be hot. It's a matter of staying power each one has that will determine the victor.

Deblas
Thu, 11-25-2004, 09:29 PM
Id prefer the PSP cause of the features it has but i have to say that the DS blowed me away when i saw it. the thing is that they have their goods and bads so its very tough for people to decide

Lefty
Thu, 11-25-2004, 09:41 PM
Thats why I'll get both, DS now and the PSP later and just cover both sides. I hate it when people become elitists with systems. If has games you like then play them and enjoy them. Don't debate why one is worse than the other. Nintendo is finally getting more adult games in it's line ups which is nice. But they have a long way to catch up to sony.

Deblas
Thu, 11-25-2004, 09:46 PM
looks like you got a lot of money to spend huh Lefty i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

Assertn
Thu, 11-25-2004, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by: Lefty
Nintendo is finally getting more adult games in it's line ups which is nice. But they have a long way to catch up to sony.

i cant imagine what you mean when you say "a long way to catch up" unless you mean maximizing their knowledge in the field of polygon jiggling

Lefty
Fri, 11-26-2004, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by: Deblas
looks like you got a lot of money to spend huh Lefty

It's not that I have a lot of money it's just that time of year. Christmas.The PSP release is around my birthday so I'll have enough cash to spare.

@ Assertn: What I mean is catch up in the sense of RPG's. I know nintendo has redident evil 0, 4 and FF Crystal Chronicals but they don't have anything else that has caught my eye. Their graphics are good beter than sony in a lot of respect. They don't have enough good games IMOP that support it, and I emphasise OPINION.

Deblas
Fri, 11-26-2004, 05:06 PM
yea you have a point Lefty but Nintendo its definetly catching up. There's a new rpg game for nintendo but i forgot the name. Im more of a firts person pt of view so theres a lot of games that i like in gamecube like Metroid Prime and theyre changing from more of cartoonish games to more real, violent games. Like Metroid Prime i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

Lefty
Fri, 11-26-2004, 06:06 PM
But with that they'll still have the child stigma for a long time and sony has been trying there best at makeing a dent in the hand held market and the PSP might do it. The spects are crazy, granted the batery life is a little lousy the DS isn't much better. But back to the more adult subject. Nintendo will lose it's children label but at a loss. Cuz parents are seeing all the violent games for nintendo and will stop (cuz they're stupid, and ignorant) buying the games and even the systems. Sony has always been a more adult sytem so parents just don't give a shit anymore. Nintendo will take years to earn that kinda of not caring from the parent front.

Deblas
Fri, 11-26-2004, 06:26 PM
Nah, althought Nintendo is making more mature games now they will still make games for younger gamers like every other system out there so i dont doubt that the parents are still gonna buy. And besides Nintendo has the ultimate child icon. Mario

Assertn
Fri, 11-26-2004, 08:01 PM
just cause the DS is aiming for a more mature audience doesnt mean all of nintendo's systems will
the kiddies can still have their GBAs

animefreak
Sat, 11-27-2004, 02:01 AM
Every Console's had a kiddies games. Let's see now, Playstation had Sypro, Sega-Sonic, Nintendo-Mario. Just so parent's can get their kid something to played.

Munsu
Sat, 11-27-2004, 02:23 AM
animefreak... have you ever played... Parappa the Rapper? is that a kiddie game?

Deblas
Sat, 11-27-2004, 05:19 PM
thats not a kiddie game. thats a shitty game

animefreak
Sat, 11-27-2004, 05:59 PM
no, i don't play kiddie games. I think i played Parappa the Rapper before for ps1(demo version). I think is dumb, you have to do it quick otherwise you failed.

Assertn
Sat, 11-27-2004, 06:18 PM
so your reason for it being dumb was because you arent coordinated enough to keep up with the pace? wow, that kiddie game sure showed you

Jman
Sat, 11-27-2004, 06:48 PM
^^you got your ass kicked by a 'kiddie game'...how sad

KameronFrye
Sat, 11-27-2004, 07:31 PM
Honestly, some "kiddie" games aren't so bad. Super Monkey Ball, for instance, may be the single most fun game I've played on GCN. I'd import the third in the series if it takes longer than 3 months between JP/US release. Billy Hatcher was pretty fun, along with the newer Sonic games and Zelda/Mario as well. If a game is fun, I don't care what age it's made for. Blood + decapitation + cussing doesn't always = fun. I couldn't stand Manhunt, personally. I want fun.

The PSP, as of current, is not presenting me with anything I have to own. The fact that it is also a portable movie viewer does me nothing, as I have an RCA Lyra. It'll be out around my b'day as well, but I'm working towards a camera for digital filming, so heh. If Sony flukes and sends us two (which is unlikely, since every store I've been at has gotten Sony display systems weeks after the system is released(, I'll take a free one. Otherwise, I'll probably pass on it.

Deblas
Sat, 11-27-2004, 07:40 PM
Were not saying that we don't like kiddie games. I just didn't like Parappa hte Rapper. animefreak is just saying those things because he couldn't beat the game

animefreak
Sun, 11-28-2004, 11:43 AM
how can i beat the game? it's just a demo version. I'm not really a kiddie game hater or anything, i just can't stand my little brother's playing that same old game hours and hours. There's a game that i enjoyed called mario Kart, fun game's for all ages.

Deblas
Sun, 11-28-2004, 12:15 PM
yea i enjoyed mario kart alot too

Swallow Your Soul
Sun, 11-28-2004, 01:36 PM
I need to read a bit about the DS - I've got a mate who's going to Las Vegas for new year (rich fucker) so he'll be able to get stuff at American (ie reduced) prices...

Deblas
Sun, 11-28-2004, 01:38 PM
where are you from Swallow Your Soul?

Swallow Your Soul
Sun, 11-28-2004, 01:40 PM
England - apparently with the $ conversion its meant to be cheaper...at least so I'm told...

Assertn
Sun, 11-28-2004, 01:44 PM
i heard the euro isnt doing so well these days

Deblas
Sun, 11-28-2004, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by: Swallow Your Soul
England - apparently with the $ conversion its meant to be cheaper...at least so I'm told...

Really? here is like 150 dollars (im not american i live in their common wealth so its the same price) so how much do you say it costs in England?

Swallow Your Soul
Sun, 11-28-2004, 02:18 PM
^ from cex.co.uk - "Those expecting a pocket money price for the Nintendo DS may be a little disappointed this morning, as trade paper MCV report that Nintendo are planning to sell the handheld for £129.99 when it's officially released here next year. In the U.S., the DS will retail for $150, although that figure will be before sales tax is added."

£129.99 (GBP - the pound sign doesn't appear on these forums) roughly = $246 according to the xe currency convertor - the american price works out at around £80 GBP...plus they pay tax on everything apparently so a bit more would be added to that I think...

Assertn we don't have the euro in Britain - we refused to join the other European countries who adopted it...

Just saw some movies of it off gamespot and I've got to say this looks well good...

Deblas
Sun, 11-28-2004, 03:44 PM
whoa, that sucks. and the psp will cost a lot more than the DS

Swallow Your Soul
Sun, 11-28-2004, 05:21 PM
Yeah, just as well my mates going to America...I wasn't gonna get either but I'm liking the idea of the DS, especially if they bring out an FPS deathmatch thing (that doesn't have auto target or anything like that) - none of my mates play online FPS games...Mario Kart is looking pretty good as well...hopefully there'll be a decent 3D RPG at some point as well...

Deblas
Sun, 11-28-2004, 06:26 PM
wow you're friend going to america. thats gonna be one hell of a long flight i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

Assertn
Sun, 11-28-2004, 06:29 PM
Yeah, just as well my mates going to America...I wasn't gonna get either but I'm liking the idea of the DS, especially if they bring out an FPS deathmatch thing (that doesn't have auto target or anything like that) - none of my mates play online FPS games...Mario Kart is looking pretty good as well...hopefully there'll be a decent 3D RPG at some point as well...

if you're referring to metroid prime 2, i suggest you actually play it first
even though you can lock on to another player, the game is obviously built around this in such a way that it still involves alot of skill and strategy. Just dont think of it as an FPS

Deblas
Sun, 11-28-2004, 06:35 PM
The metroid prime for ds has a targeting system?I didn't see any targeting when i played it in the shop

Assertn
Sun, 11-28-2004, 09:37 PM
im talking about metroid 2 for gamecube

Deblas
Sun, 11-28-2004, 10:00 PM
ohh. ok. well anyway the metroid games are indeed very challenging even with the targeting system. In my opinion if the game didnt have a targeting system it would be extremely hard to beat it. i mean the game is hard enough with the targeting system

KameronFrye
Sun, 11-28-2004, 10:07 PM
From what I understand, the nintendo systems are all universally compatible. The portables don't require any kind of internal swapping, or my GBA doesn't. I don't think that the eletronics to one would be any different either, except the actual charger would be a different size for the plug. Everything else should be the same, though.

The shit they're talking about doing on the DS is unreal, though. There's an espionage game in the works where the bottom screen changes about 3249723968237 times in the game, from doing stuff like typing #s in a keypad to open a door to typical map stuff and weapons changes and such. They're going crazy with it on a lot of games, though... I'd be interested in seeing a Monkey Ball done on it, bet that'd be bad ass.

JusDaMan
Sun, 11-28-2004, 11:09 PM
I would rather DS have bluetooth technology or something of that sort. then that would be hot...
Nintendo DS the new wave in School cheating.
And just be like... "Yo wats the answer for question 1" then the whole room be like "A" wif out no1 knoing. unless the teacher is a game freak too which is using DS as source of something too

KameronFrye
Mon, 11-29-2004, 01:04 AM
Most schools don't allow devices like PDAs/phones/electronics of the sort to be in the open in the first place, much less during a test. I remember getting in trouble with shit like that back in school almost 10 years ago.

Assertn
Mon, 11-29-2004, 02:58 AM
btw, i was informed by a roommate that while the DS does play gba and gameboy games, the multiplayer modes for them dont work
it wasnt nintendo's intention to completely phase out their GBAs, so dont be selling your GBAs just yet

Nara Shikamaru VI
Mon, 11-29-2004, 10:31 AM
if there are extra cash lying around i might get myself DS. not really sold with the whole play movie thing on PSP. i mean who in hell wanna watch a movie in such a small screen. plus there are adult games for nintendo system now a days. like GTA in GBA, and not to forgot games like Killer 7 and RE games on GC. plus there are heaps of awesome titles on nintendo compare to Xbox. current GC addict. PAPER MARIO 2 :3

SK
Mon, 11-29-2004, 06:43 PM
at first i was thinking, wow ds is going to be hot, now...well its not worth it for me. it seems nintendo just has the same games recycled on their portables for the last 10 yrs, not many of the big developers are doing anything for the ds and nintendo cant make all the games for their system. the double screen had big possibilities but it looks like its just a gimmick. the chatting was a great idea, but for only 30 yards, seems stupid. my friend brought his in to class today, and my hands felt a little cramped. the psp will probably destroy the ds, nintendo should just stop releasing consoles in the us unless theyre going to have a system that can compete with sony.

Deblas
Mon, 11-29-2004, 10:04 PM
umm, -Sharingan-Kakashi-. Nintendo has dominated the handheld for more than 20 years so i think nintendo is not that shitty if you ask me

animefreak
Mon, 11-29-2004, 10:24 PM
i think the psp is way better, the graphic is like ps2, and the Nintendo DS is like N64. If you're a type that wanted good graphic take the psp.

Assertn
Mon, 11-29-2004, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by: animefreak
i think the psp is way better, the graphic is like ps2, and the Nintendo DS is like N64. If you're a type that wanted good graphic take the psp.

ok get out of here you noob

Deblas
Mon, 11-29-2004, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by: AssertnFailure

ok get out of here you noob

Here we go again. people not playing good games because of the graphics

Nara Shikamaru VI
Tue, 11-30-2004, 12:47 AM
ummm...no PSP is not running on PS2 graphic. i read somewhere it's in between PS graphic sort of like PS 1.5 if u will.

and althought games on nintendo feel recycle its just the theme that is recycle. gameplay are always evolving.

Lefty
Tue, 11-30-2004, 01:11 AM
The system spects are at about 8/10ths of what the PS2 runs at the graphics are about bad first gen PS2 graphics. The system is perty powerful for what is.so don't bash it.

Raven
Tue, 11-30-2004, 01:23 AM
Let's just say they're both powerful systems with huge capabilities. The graphics of each system will depend on the games that are developed, and how much polish is put in by the developers.

Lefty
Tue, 11-30-2004, 01:51 AM
Yeah your right. First through third gen is hit and miss with graphics so we'll have to wait like a year for them catch up to the system. But these two system should play off of each other push the other be better. It's a new age of hand held.

Nara Shikamaru VI
Tue, 11-30-2004, 07:35 AM
frankly i welcome PSP although i wont pledge my support to it. at least there is a challenge for Nintendo handheld department. this will bump up Nintendo quality because now they finally have a worthy opponent. bring it on Sony. bring it on

JusDaMan
Tue, 11-30-2004, 03:49 PM
and u kno with these 2 giants comming out... Zodiac will have no room in the gaming industry lol... and please dont talk about ngage qd it's just not goood

Swallow Your Soul
Tue, 11-30-2004, 09:01 PM
if you're referring to metroid prime 2, i suggest you actually play it first
even though you can lock on to another player, the game is obviously built around this in such a way that it still involves alot of skill and strategy. Just dont think of it as an FPS

I meant the DS one - I got Metroid 1 2nd hand to see what its like. Yeah I've got a mate who was telling me its not an actual FPS, and from what little I've played thats pretty clear...I guess I'll see from the demo if the multiplayer is any good on it...

In terms of backwards compatibility the DS will only play GBA games on 1 player - no gameboy/gameboy colour games. Which is a pain in the arse cos I play the old version of Tetris more than half of my GBA games - I was gonna sell the GBA but now I might just get shut of some of the games that are snes/megadrive remakes...

Originally posted by: Deblas
wow you're friend going to america. thats gonna be one hell of a long flight

Yep - probably about 12 hours - but he's pretty rich so he's almost used to it now...last new years he went to Japan and Hong Kong for 3 weeks! (spent most of the time in Japan, went to Hong Kong for a week or so as well). I think this is his 3rd time to America, and he went to Canada to go skiing as well!

Deblas
Tue, 11-30-2004, 09:14 PM
woa. rich boy. what does his parents do?

Swallow Your Soul
Tue, 11-30-2004, 10:39 PM
Not sure, but its his dad who's pretty rich so he basically goes abroad with him every now and again...its just his dad seems to have cool taste in holidays.

On the DS - is it sold out in America? I'm tempted to try and import it, or is that too risky? I'd like one to play over xmas rather than having to wait till after the new year...by which time uni'll have started again...might try yesasia if they get some japanese models in stock or something (they're out of stock at the moment).

Also, I'm not too familiar with PDA style stuff - is the touch screen liable to scratch with the stylus or the thumb pad?

Assertn
Tue, 11-30-2004, 10:56 PM
i dunno, but im trying out an online deal that should get me a free DS (much like the way the iPod deal worked, except without the pyramid scheme part)

KameronFrye
Wed, 12-01-2004, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by: -Sharingan-Kakashi-
at first i was thinking, wow ds is going to be hot, now...well its not worth it for me. it seems nintendo just has the same games recycled on their portables for the last 10 yrs, not many of the big developers are doing anything for the ds and nintendo cant make all the games for their system. the double screen had big possibilities but it looks like its just a gimmick. the chatting was a great idea, but for only 30 yards, seems stupid. my friend brought his in to class today, and my hands felt a little cramped. the psp will probably destroy the ds, nintendo should just stop releasing consoles in the us unless theyre going to have a system that can compete with sony.

Again, citing Deblas as he is correct, Nintendo is the only game maker to dominate the portables market for over 20 years now. Lynx, Turbo Duo, and many others had neat things to them, and ultimately they all failed. Sony's success in the gaming market came from a really bad call on Nintendo, having scrapped their add-on system to the SNES and Sony selling it with minimal tweaks to the general public. A better example is to look at the PS2 in comparison to other systems. Since Sony jumped the gun on the system race, they're biting the bullet now in terms of cutting-edge gaming. I've seen the gaming footage for Killzone, and I find it far from the Halo-killer our Sony rep claims it to be. Compare their online gaming to that of Microsofts, which boasts new content downloads, voice chat for all games, scoreboards, and cross-game matchmaking; all of this easily leaves Sony in the dust. I also call you out to cite innovation: Sure, Sony has the Eyetoy. I own one, I think it's neat. How many other people do? There are stores actually still sitting on launch Eyetoys. Nintendo created a system that can use a seperate, handheld system to unlock hidden features, be used as a controller extension, and give deeper gameplay options to games supported by the GBA link feature. But Sony has a camera.

You can cite the quantity of games as a pro for the system, but I see it as a con. Sure, there's easily as many PS2 games as there are Xbox and Gamecube games combined, but how many are actually worth owning? Did you buy that game where you flew around a house as a mosquito? What about Fantavision? Or any of those games from the developers that went from making $10 PSone games to making $20 PS2 games? This isn't to say that Xbox/GCN don't have their fair share of shitty games, but they certainly have a much better track record with quality exclusive gaming. Some of their better exclusive games can take 2-3 sequels before they have what people want in the game, but by that time people have moved on to a new series. I own and enjoy some MGS3, as well as some Ratchet and Clank along with the very small handful of exclusive titles; but then stack the quality of those up to Xbox with: Mech Assault, Crimson Skies, Ninja Gaiden, Halo 1 or 2, Project Gotham, Midtown Madness 3, Star Wars: KOTOR, Steel Battalion... and GCN with Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Star Fox, Custom Robo, Paper Mario, Pikmin, Smash Brothers, F-Zero... I can name more games for both of those that I own/won't trade than I can for PS2. I just don't have confidence in Sony. Sure, they have the power to buy some really good gadgets, but they can't develop a game nor a system of their own accord worth a shit.

Lefty
Wed, 12-01-2004, 01:55 AM
You do bring up a good point in the fact that sony jumped the gun on the PS2, but now nintendo forcing it's game deveolpers to jump the gun to atain that coveted launch game status. This will Kill some of the clout the DS was hopeing for the graphics seem lower than what sony is boasting. Granted the touch screen is a cool gimick it just give the game developers more to fuck up or forget about and not utilize porperly. The PSP does have it's problems as well like low battery life and formate specific games that can't be hacked very easliy and seem to region locked(with no mode chip in sight). I have a feeling Nintendo is going to have a competition whenn it comes to sony hand held wise. Platform wise everyone learded thair lesson about jumping the gun adn not having enough parts in stock and all that shit. So now it comes down to who has the better games.

Deblas
Wed, 12-01-2004, 10:17 PM
yea its really hard. psp will problably put ff games in it and ds has mario and metroid. so its a pretty tough decision

Assertn
Thu, 12-02-2004, 10:20 AM
innovation > repetition

how many FF games do you guys need, anyway?

chambers
Thu, 12-02-2004, 10:39 AM

but really i was convinced that the PSP woudl be miles better than the DS now im not so sure. i know ill be buying a DS when metroid comes out. unless they launch with a psp and a FF game (wich aint gonna happen)

Swallow Your Soul
Thu, 12-02-2004, 03:02 PM
innovation > repetition

As many as possible (not including stuff like X-2 which sucked and XI which I can't play)...though its kinda the same for me with games like Mario Kart.

I wouldn't get the PSP even if it had FF games on it though...I think I saw on gamespot there is gonna be an action/rpg Final Fantasy VII thing (a prequel I think it was), but I dunno if thats the same one that got released on mobile phones or whatever...Before Crisis or something I think it was called...

animefreak
Thu, 12-02-2004, 03:33 PM
innovation > repetition

more and alots more.........can't got enough.

animefreak
Thu, 12-02-2004, 03:35 PM
can the final fantasy 11 played offline?

JusDaMan
Thu, 12-02-2004, 03:57 PM
^ No double posting ^

Dont talk bad about FF games! most of them were good! and also it kept squaresoft from going bankrupt i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif (for a while atleast)

Assertn
Thu, 12-02-2004, 04:03 PM

innovation > repetition

As many as possible (not including stuff like X-2 which sucked and XI which I can't play)...though its kinda the same for me with games like Mario Kart.

I wouldn't get the PSP even if it had FF games on it though...I think I saw on gamespot there is gonna be an action/rpg Final Fantasy VII thing (a prequel I think it was), but I dunno if thats the same one that got released on mobile phones or whatever...Before Crisis or something I think it was called...

hey, with mario kart every release is drastically different than the prior one (with the exception of the gba version anyway)

SK
Thu, 12-02-2004, 04:41 PM
"Again, citing Deblas as he is correct, Nintendo is the only game maker to dominate the portables market for over 20 years now."

ok i said the games nintendo makes are recycled, i didnt say they havent dominated or whatever else you fanboys said. i said 10 years, because i got my first gameboy about 10 years ago, and seeing the same games for ds and sp is stupid, lets see a little innovation, who wants to play donkey kong country again in the same graphics on sp, or super mario 64 again on the ds?
nintendo needs to understand the audience that made them in america is older, and they need to cater to them not the kids they used to be. adults will buy more games than little kids. and now in america sony has already set the bar as the top in the gaming market, more people will buy the sony console than a nintendo console. feels bad to say but lets face it, one more garbage console and nintendo wont bother releasing systems in us.

Assertn
Thu, 12-02-2004, 04:44 PM
if by recycled.....you mean totally unique

although it sounds like you're talking about the few games for gba that are ports of older games
in which case, then dont buy them! they arent meant for you, they are meant for people who either never grew up to those games in the past, or sold them long ago when they upgraded their consoles, or maybe just want a portable alternative. It's not like rereleasing those games will set back production of newer games much, since its just a revamp of an already existant engine.

and btw, your precious FF series does the same thing i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

Deblas
Fri, 12-03-2004, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by: -Sharingan-Kakashi-
"Again, citing Deblas as he is correct, Nintendo is the only game maker to dominate the portables market for over 20 years now."

ok i said the games nintendo makes are recycled, i didnt say they havent dominated or whatever else you fanboys said. i said 10 years, because i got my first gameboy about 10 years ago, and seeing the same games for ds and sp is stupid, lets see a little innovation, who wants to play donkey kong country again in the same graphics on sp, or super mario 64 again on the ds?
nintendo needs to understand the audience that made them in america is older, and they need to cater to them not the kids they used to be. adults will buy more games than little kids. and now in america sony has already set the bar as the top in the gaming market, more people will buy the sony console than a nintendo console. feels bad to say but lets face it, one more garbage console and nintendo wont bother releasing systems in us.

jajaja youre right about that. in every new hand held that nintendo takes out has a Donkey Kong 2 game or other old games. i do think that nintendo has changed a little making games for more mature audiences

animefreak
Mon, 12-06-2004, 08:46 PM
The reason why Donkey Kong still exist today, it's because is a popular game. I think gameboy is like a replacement for Super Nintendo console. We had play Donkey Kong for Super Nintendo before, and here is it again but only in smaller size.

Assertn
Mon, 12-06-2004, 08:49 PM
The reason why Donkey Kong still exist today, it's because is a popular game.

wow, thats an amazing discovery you got there

animefreak
Mon, 12-06-2004, 08:59 PM

The reason why Donkey Kong still exist today, it's because is a popular game.

wow, thats an amazing discovery you got there

What's that suppose to mean?

KrayZ33
Sat, 05-03-2008, 08:54 AM
translate it with: "no shit,sherlock!"

btw I never understood whats so good about those small things... I always get a headdache if I play with a gameboy or PSP.

sangai
Sun, 05-04-2008, 09:01 PM
well, two things i love about the DS...sometimes its nice to give youa break from the PC, and i have a special card for my DS that lets me put downloaded roms on it so i never pay for a rom again *yes i realize its illegal, but i still do own some of the games.

and the PSP is great cause if its modded i can put all the old school nes,snes,genesis,superfamcom, arcade games on it , use it as a micro dvd player and a few other GREAT purposes, small stereo, radio, internet browser.

Assertn
Mon, 05-05-2008, 03:15 AM
well, two things i love about the DS...sometimes its nice to give youa break from the PC, and i have a special card for my DS that lets me put downloaded roms on it so i never pay for a rom again *yes i realize its illegal, but i still do own some of the games.

and the PSP is great cause if its modded i can put all the old school nes,snes,genesis,superfamcom, arcade games on it , use it as a micro dvd player and a few other GREAT purposes, small stereo, radio, internet browser.
wow, thats an amazing discovery you got there. (sorry, had to)

Nah but really though...my favorite thing about DS is playing wifi mario kart with 5 of my friends in the same room. Aside from that, it's great to have whenever I go traveling, and I usually pick up a new game before I fly out.

Zachiru-Hirosaki
Mon, 05-05-2008, 06:02 AM
Hirokazu Hamamura make us glad
Hirokazu Hamamura, the head of gigantic Japanese gaming mag Famitsu's parent company, made a prediction that Nintendo will unveil the next-generation DS at E3 2008 this summer. Normally we wouldn't think anything of some businessman making predictions, but if anyone knows what's going on with Nintendo, it's Famitsu (the gaming industry and gaming press are really tight over there). Kotaku says it took two years between the transition from DS to DS Lite, so a summer DS Lite to DS EXTREME transition might be possible. Our prediction is that they'll do away with the GBA port altogether, saving space and hardware costs.
us.gizmodo.com

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z64/Crazerdash/thumb463x_giz-wants-ds-open.jpg

i cant wait for th DS Extreme its a rumor but i hope that the rumor is true.
DS with Next Gen graphics, but nintendo will deserve a lot of money if the DS Extreme comes out.
Hirokazu Hamamura please make us glad!
Damn i also must buy the Famitsu!!

BioAlien
Mon, 05-05-2008, 06:38 AM
DS.. Extreme?
Just by the name, you can tell it's fake.
No way in hell Nintendo is ever going to call one of their product "extreme".
And that picture is obviously photo shopped. Badly at that.(Where the fuck are the speakers? On the back?)
Upgrading to "next gen graphic", means profit lost for Nintendo, because new games won't work on older DS. So if something like that ever comes out, it won't be called "DS", just like how DS isn't called Gameboy.

We don't need a new DS redesign, even Reggie said there won't be one coming out.

Zachiru-Hirosaki
Mon, 05-05-2008, 08:17 AM
Dude its a rumor may be they will change the name.
Anf it could be a prototype
And a Rumor can be true and lets hope its true.
And which gamer dont want to have a DS with awesome graphics?

There is also a rumor that its called the TS with Triple Screens.
And that is bullshit.

BioAlien
Mon, 05-05-2008, 08:59 AM
I'm ready to bet anything that this "rumour" of yours, is fake.

(Lol, triple screen :rolleyes: )

The DS is doing just fine right now, it doesn't need a new design, maybe a battery that last longer, but there's no need for a design change.

Though a new handheld is possible considering the end of the DS's life cycle is coming to an end next year. (5 or so years, with the GBA it was only 3 years, so it's alway a possibility)

But I doubt that Nintendo will just release an "upgraded" DS handheld. There's no innovation in that, that would be doing the exact same thing Microsoft/Sony have been doing with their home consoles.(Well, Sony did change a little something, their controller, adding Sixaxis to it... :rolleyes: But let's not talk about that.) Though it's possible...

(The 2 screens from the DS may need to stay if Nintendo want backward compatibility, unless they pull a stunt like making the upper screen removable(With DS Slot 1 in it). And leave it as an Add On for those who actually want backward compatibility so the price of the handheld itself won't be too high)

Zachiru-Hirosaki
Mon, 05-05-2008, 09:34 AM
I'm ready to bet anything that this "rumour" of yours, is fake.

Actually thats not my rumor, thats a rumor of a Japnese game magazine called Famitsu.
And i aggree there is no need for a new design.
But i think every gamer wants a DS with awesome graphics i expect that there will come a new DS but not that the design is changed but the specifications. That there is possibility to play the DS with high performence.

Sandldan
Mon, 05-05-2008, 03:42 PM
really doubt they would release a new version with better performance, would simply cause too much unnecessary confusion. And going by sales it does not look like it would need anything like a redesign

Assertn
Mon, 05-05-2008, 06:55 PM
triple screens would be........terrible

Zachiru-Hirosaki
Tue, 05-06-2008, 07:13 AM
indeed. Triple Screens is just ugly

darkshadow
Tue, 05-06-2008, 08:06 AM
Ok that picture and the name are complete and utter bullshit, BUT a next-gen DS isn't that farfetched since the DS isn't a gameboy, but a different brand.

The gba was released in 2001 with the last gameboy, the micro, in 2005.
the DS was released in 2004, with the lite revision in 2006, which means that if the DS"Advance" is announced at E3 '08, we could excpect a summer 2009 release, which isn't unreasonble since the ds will be around for 5 years by then.
And really aside from the wii and ds, graphical upgrades where the only "innovations" nintendo made to their consoles.

And just for a timeline reference:
gameboy - 1989
gameboy pocket - 1996
gameboy light - 1997
gameboy color - 1998
gameboy advance - 2001
gameboy advance sp - 2003
Nintendo DS - 2004
gameboy micro - 2005
Nintendo DS Lite - 2006

as you can see aside from the original to pocket, every (major) release was no longer then 3 years from the last one, and by 2009 the NDS will have gone 5 years without a successor, so i deem the possibility of an announcement by E3 '08 entirely possible.

sangai
Tue, 05-06-2008, 02:38 PM
i doubt it, NDS is one of nintendos top selling items, they typically don't upgrade until they're sales have declined dramatically, which they havn't seen happen yet, id give it another 2 years before we even hear about a newer nintendo hand held . TBH they gonna have to do something to somewhat compete with the PSP..

Animeniax
Tue, 05-06-2008, 02:41 PM
I imagine they'll introduce the Wii concept into a handheld, so you can get a workout or at least some physical interaction in the game. Too cumbersome maybe?

sangai
Tue, 05-06-2008, 04:31 PM
unfortunatly as much as i love nintendo and i always will buy there products, the wii is a gimmeck, although demand is high and supply is low at least here in arizona its pretty hard to come by a wii still. but eventually the ps3 and the 360 will over take nintendo in the gamer aspect nintendo is goin for the crowd that xbox and ps3 doesn't really target.

in the end i own all 3 and i play the wii most simply well cause of zelda and brawl..

Zachiru-Hirosaki
Wed, 05-07-2008, 05:33 AM
i doubt it, NDS is one of nintendos top selling items, they typically don't upgrade until they're sales have declined dramatically, which they havn't seen happen yet

So that means that they must start to develope an new DS. Before the sales have declined.

Assertn
Wed, 05-07-2008, 12:52 PM
unfortunatly as much as i love nintendo and i always will buy there products, the wii is a gimmeck
Sorry to break it to you, but the xbox360 and PS3 are also gimmicks....
What other point is there to own them instead of their previous generations besides HD support and prettier graphics?

There's a certain appeal to the relative innocence of the hand-held market, in that graphics do not yet make the game there.

Animeniax
Wed, 05-07-2008, 01:33 PM
I don't think the Wii is a gimmick any more than any other entertainment system. It could be considered that if you are a purist console gamer, but others will see it as a clever way to attract more of an audience than your typical avid gamers who will buy a system regardless just because it is "next-gen" and has cooler graphics and new games. If they could add that sort of appeal to a handheld, it would sell well among non-gamers as well as gamers, making it even more of a success. A major concern would be maintaining portability.

David75
Wed, 05-07-2008, 01:37 PM
I never played nintendo games and consoles much, never owned one. In fact I'm not the game type of guy, I have a PS2 with at least 3 cms of dust on it, It was a gift, I played for a week or so and got tired of it.

But from what I see from friends, people who use different kind of consoles, it seems that nintendos are more user friendly. Just play and enjoy.
To me the gameboy and then DS line is exactly that: choose game, poweron, play.
You don't have to go to BBSes for hours, you don't need to know anything technical.
Games do not offer your gazillions colors or FPS... but some of them are very funny and entertaining... yes, sometimes console maker tend to forget that very last point.

And I find it clever of nintendo to target older audience and women, because the potential market is both richer and greater. If they can go there, they should be kings of the hill for long enough before others think of ways to follow them.