PDA

View Full Version : Codecs

Cyan
Wed, 06-23-2004, 12:02 PM
I'm doing a Clean install with XP Pro, I had previously installed a bunch of codecs (I ain't never touching the Kazaa lite codec pack again) which eventually made all media go wierd - such as I couldn't play Music CD's unless I burned it to my Hard Drive (no, the sound wasn't muted)

Anyway, I'd like to know how I can go about installing a minimalistic codec pack consisting of .mkv and the ffdshow package.

I'm unsure of which is the correct version to install first, I know an .mkv pack comes with ffdshow, but I don't know which version (if its out of date) anyway, I'm a mega Anime Fan, so I need to play all that stuff.

(.ogm .ogg... etc... etc...) - does the .mkv deal with these as well? or do I need ogg vorbis etc...

Thanks for your help i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

Darkflare
Wed, 06-23-2004, 01:01 PM
usually i just install things seperately. divx, xvid, ffdshow, ogg and thats it. if i happen to run across another format i dont have installed, i will search for that codec and that codec only, i do not enjoy those packs. they are mean to me

badgats
Sun, 06-27-2004, 03:24 AM
i just go to www.doom9.org easy i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

tensai
Sun, 06-27-2004, 04:31 AM
does anyone know a codec that enables you to play files that arent finished dl
im dling some stuff and i want to preview to check if i like them because they are taking so long to finish
any help would be nice

Pyron
Sun, 06-27-2004, 04:30 PM
they have some good stuff at www.divx-digest.com then look in the software section

0Azure0
Thu, 07-01-2004, 07:15 AM
VLC player can start unfinished files.
U can find it here:

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

and btw... its always best to install ONLY those codecs u need to watch the fiels u got, any codecs who doesnt belong will interface with the other ones.

Pyron
Fri, 07-02-2004, 04:05 AM
another good player is the core media player. just search it and you'll find it...its pretty good and plays those .ogg files and more without downloading the codeces i believe