PDA

View Full Version : Voice of Naruto

japanaman
Tue, 06-22-2004, 11:46 PM
Just thought i would add a fun question...

Say a Naruto movie or show was made in or brought to america. Who do you guys think would be the voice of Naruto? or Sasuke? or Sakura?

or say they made a real-life movie of Naruto. Assuming the the actor did not have to be japanese, who would play Naruto? or anyone else?

Mut
Tue, 06-22-2004, 11:47 PM
no american voice fits an anime character.

japanaman
Tue, 06-22-2004, 11:51 PM
i realize that, but what american actor do u think most identifies with Naruto?

bitwar
Wed, 06-23-2004, 12:37 AM
I can't see Naruto working in live-action, especially if it's made in the US. No way. As far as a voice actor for a dub. . . Hmm. . . I really haven't seen any American voice actor able to do a character like Naruto. Sasuke and Sakura, you could probably shove on anyone. Rock Lee, I'd say get the guy who did Vash the Stampede's English voice (the former Power Ranger). But after watching almost 90 episodes of a series in Japanese, it's hard to imagine English voices to go with the characters. . .

NomoZ
Wed, 06-23-2004, 01:14 AM
I bet if it does come out here they'll probably use the voice of Ash from pokemon...god i hope that day never comes

NokturnalAndy
Wed, 06-23-2004, 03:14 AM
Ohh god I can see it now

Sasuke would be played by Brock's voice
Sakura would be played by Mindys or whatever the red head's name is
and Naruto would be played by Ash

Fifemoo
Wed, 06-23-2004, 05:19 AM
What's this "No american voice fits an anime character" business? Spike from Cowboy Bebop was fantastic, i thoguht it fit him really well. Altho i watched the english version first thx adult swim so maybe just partial to it...

But in staying on topic i can't think of any voice to fit naruto. I think the person who does the japanese version of naruto does such a fantastic job that there's no way anything else would be tolerable. I'd miss the datteboyo thing too much.

PSJ
Wed, 06-23-2004, 07:08 AM
this is a repeat thread close it please.

Board of Command
Wed, 06-23-2004, 01:38 PM
Voice actor for Gohan for Naruto.
Voice actor for Trunks for Sasuke.

SamuraiOdin
Wed, 06-23-2004, 05:53 PM
A guy that I think would play a decent Naruto (please note the decent, as I don't think the emotion would translate as well into dubs) would be Richard Cox. As for some of the previous work that he has done, take a look at Inuyasha (an ok series), in which he does the voice of Inuyasha. Also, if you look at the later seasons of Ranma 1/2 (an AWESOME series) he does the voice of Ranma, and does a pretty good job of it too.

Knives122
Wed, 06-23-2004, 06:31 PM
do you really want to here Richard Cox go around saying Sakura-Chan in a high squeaky voice, NO dont soil the guy who plays the American Inuyasha like that

kupalmaru
Wed, 06-23-2004, 06:46 PM
A lot of people who do cartoon voices in America have the ability to produce different voices.

I knew a guy who's doing a dubbing for a local tv can produce at least 20 voices.

This dubbing people can easily mimic Naruto's voices, so you don't need to worry about Naruto's voice being to lame.

================================================== ==============
My best pic is the guy who dubbed the voice of Ashitaka in Mononoke

Board of Command
Wed, 06-23-2004, 07:30 PM
Princess Mononoke is the greatest anime of all time.

Medion
Thu, 06-24-2004, 02:19 PM
That's the problem with american dubs. Using 20+ y/o guys to dub kids/teens is WRONG. 99% of the time the voices sounds unnatural and the acting feels forced. The recommended approach is have woman dub young characters, what *is* the case with Naruto himself.

Mut
Thu, 06-24-2004, 02:22 PM
i can't stand the american dubs. they sound jacked up, especially cowboy bebop. wow, so horrible.

Assertn
Thu, 06-24-2004, 04:28 PM
interesting you would say that Mut@t@, most people tend to say that cowboy bebop has one of the most tolerable dubs ever

Lenas
Thu, 06-24-2004, 05:16 PM
Cowboy Bebop is easily one of the best dubs I've ever heard. I actually perfer the english voices to the japanese voices. I watched the last episode in japanese, and Faye's voice shows almost no emotion when she stops Spike in the Bebop hallway.

I had to turn it off and put english back on.

XwingRob
Thu, 06-24-2004, 05:37 PM
Thanks.
Anyways I think all anime should just be subbed.

PSJ
Thu, 06-24-2004, 05:47 PM
anime should be watched in japanese with subtitles no dubbing it just ruins it.

Mut
Thu, 06-24-2004, 06:12 PM
my god... i can't believe i'm hearing such things lenas and assertn...
>=(

Gods_Son
Thu, 06-24-2004, 06:17 PM
The Japanese is better, but Cowboy Bebop definately has better English dubbing than most shows. Naruto would probably be hard, because they have so many characters, and not enough good voice actors.

ragnarokex
Fri, 06-25-2004, 12:52 AM
i think izzy from digimon hahahhaa i can imagine it now

ShinobiNeko
Fri, 06-25-2004, 01:32 AM
-_- I doubt any dub would fit Naruto, or most of the other character for that matter. If it's not a crappy match for the character, then the acting/emotion sucks, but usually it's both. v_v

meroko01
Fri, 06-25-2004, 05:04 PM
Say a Naruto movie or show was made in or brought to america. Who do you guys think would be the voice of Naruto? or Sasuke? or Sakura?

dunno if its just me .. but i think all english dubbed animes sounds alike...they just try to change their voices from time to time but its still obvious .. i dont even think they consider what the character looks like or whatever they just dub it ..>.> and naruto has so many characters .. i bet they would use the same seiyuu for like 5 or more characters gah .. its annoying..

anime should be watched in japanese with subtitles no dubbing it just ruins it.

so true ..

AngryGumball
Fri, 06-25-2004, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by: SamuraiOdin
A guy that I think would play a decent Naruto (please note the decent, as I don't think the emotion would translate as well into dubs) would be Richard Cox. As for some of the previous work that he has done, take a look at Inuyasha (an ok series), in which he does the voice of Inuyasha. Also, if you look at the later seasons of Ranma 1/2 (an AWESOME series) he does the voice of Ranma, and does a pretty good job of it too.

This is my problem with american voice acting, Once a voice has done a major character and I identify that voice with that major character I do not want to hear them use that voice on a differenct character in another series. Examples....

I watched Cowboy Bebop first and identified Spikes voice as Spikes Voice. I then saw some of Ruironi Kenshin and heard Spike's voice in that and it felt weird.
I really like Inuyasha and I identify Inuyasha's voice as Inuyashas. I've heard Richard Cox's voice now in Zoids Fuzors which felt out of place. I've seen Richard Cox name in credits for other anime yet i never redily idenfied his voice so I was ok, but I saw myself trying to figure out who he was instead of just watching the anime. So I suck for that.

Conclusion, if its the same voice used in another anime series thats completely wrong. If the voice changes and not redily identified as hey that is Spike from Bebop what is he donig in this anime well that is just completely wrong and lacks pretty much all credibility imo.

This is my first ever post on the boards been lurking for the past month or two. i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif Welcome me i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

samsonlonghair
Fri, 06-25-2004, 09:06 PM
This isn't too complicated. If anyone has any more likely candidates feel free to correct me.
Naruto-M.J. Mallow
Sasuke-Derek Stephen Prince
Jiraiya-Beau Billings
Sakura-Wendee Lee
Kakashi-David Lucas/Steve Blum

I can't think of any others at the moment, but if I do I'll post them.

kupalmaru
Fri, 06-25-2004, 10:06 PM
I know that this is thread is about who will fit the voice of the the character, but I been reading in the other thread and people are complaining how some of the subber are wrong or does not make any sense.

Even if the dubber has a great voice, I think people are not going to like it once they heard what Naruto are saying. The dubbers need to change the words in order to fit the mouth of the character. It will be imposible for the dubbers to say the words that we see on the sub(like the episode sub by Anbu/Aone).

With people complaining about how some of the sub are not right wait and see when they do an english dub of Naruto.

AngryGumball
Fri, 06-25-2004, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by: samsonlonghair
Jiraiya-Beau Billings
Sakura-Wendee Lee.

Urg two more voices you see everywhere, Urg Urg, they may have good voices but for the love of all, Its the same voices for the sobbing of my dying creativity!

Heh, They should come into the voice acting interview.
Voice Casting Director "Thank you for coming in today." "Please tell us what you have worked on before"

Voice Actor "Well I worked in Cowboy Bebop, that was fantastic fun! i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif"

Voice Casting Director "Ok, thank you for coming in, we are looking for unique voice actors who are good but have not been plastered over every single American anime that has been made"

Voice Actor "but you see I'm looking for a job! I need the money and the work I cannot do anything else"

Voice Casting Director "You see we've had complaints that while the Japanese create very good anime, the problem is people are tired of hearing the same voices everywhere."

Voice Actor "but I'm a good voice actor"

Voice Casting DIrector "There is neither here nor there, Americans are tired of hearing the same flipping voices on every new Japanese animation that ever comes over to America. Especially when they are paying $19.99 to $29.99 for fricking 3 stupid episodes! Now get the heck out of here before we call security!"

*Views are soley that of the disgruntled purchaser of american dubbed anime and hearing the same voices on everything with no uniqueness* i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

badgats
Sun, 06-27-2004, 04:37 AM
i guess i could do his voice i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

Luchio
Sun, 06-27-2004, 01:16 PM
This is a problem that happens not only with translated manga, but also in the movie industry. When the next Hollywood blockbuster gets out, it gets translated in french, in spanish, etc, because it is shown world-wide... The voice-overs are sometimes horrible, I laugh everytime I hear the french voice of Eddy Murphy in Beverlly Hills Cops, his voice is so squeaky and awful.

The bottomline is: The original product is almost always better than the dubbed version. The best they can do is to be on par with it. You don't want to know what is the worst they can do.

Dookz
Mon, 06-28-2004, 06:50 AM
Sean Connery would do Naruto.
Antonio Banderas would do Sasuke.
Eddie Murphy would do Jiraiya.

Eurasian
Mon, 06-28-2004, 11:34 PM
Anime should never be dubbed. i cry when i hear inuyasha in english!!!

ShinobiNeko
Wed, 06-30-2004, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by: Dookz
Sean Connery would do Naruto.
Antonio Banderas would do Sasuke.
Eddie Murphy would do Jiraiya.

that one would be quite weird i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

kaigan
Wed, 06-30-2004, 01:40 AM
i'll bet the people that are dubbing Gundam Seed will also do Naruto.

Kumiriko
Wed, 06-30-2004, 01:42 AM
It be Nice if Voice Sythasis was to the lvl that they could just recrate the Japanes voice actors voice in English for resonable nuf cost. Even thought that would put out North american Voice actors. *sigh*

AngryGumball
Wed, 06-30-2004, 03:54 AM
Originally posted by: kaigan
i'll bet the people that are dubbing Gundam Seed will also do Naruto.

SO far I'm kinda ok with the voices of Gundam Seed, but its been what 3 days since I've heard it so my mind could be fuzy already.

I like Mew Le Flaga's voice.
Actually hmm..the women's voices are kinda off the two officers voice I mean baigiereel and the captains voice, something i can't place finger on weird.

I like Fley's voice thou, good emotion in her outbursts.
Lackus Klein's voice is wrong pitch too,

guess when do I think of it I can recall their voices and feel something off.
but its not gamebreaking voice-dubbing that totally ruins it for me.

Masakari
Wed, 06-30-2004, 12:26 PM
Give the american dubbers some credit, sheesh. Of course if you see the sub first you'll think the dub totally blows. But really, I think subs suck too. I don't like having to focus on reading what the characters are saying, because I can't focus on watching the anime. Sometimes I even backtrack a couple times because I don't have time to completely read what they said. I just hate when people get all ignorant and defensive about subs and say dubs completely suck.
I have to disagree saying that the original product is always better. All of you are biased towards subs because its' the first thing you see (most of the time) so of course you're partial towards it. When I was younger I never had a problem with dubs they showed on TV, until I was exposed to fan subs years later. Most of the time people just dislike the voices they pick, because you heard a voice for tht character already and they registered as that characters voice which you didn't want to see changed (Oh no that guy should have more of a darker cooler voice like the japanese version!) or (No that character should be higher and whinier like the japanese version!)
I'm not saying dubs don't totally blow sometimes, but think about things besides the sub when you watch them. Take into consideration voice actors aren't as in demand here as they are in Japan, so there are just not as many of them here, so you hear some voices over and over again (which you would in Japan too, it's not like one person does one voice and that guy never does a voice again, it just happens more here) Also take into consideration that if they picked new people for the sake of uniqueness, there would be a lot of bad voice actors (which everyone would likewise complain about). It's like movies, pick the guy that's in a billion movies and is a star with experience and won't suck it up, or some new guy just to be unique, with odds pointing that he will suck it up. You hardly see people complain about that, so what's so different about voice actors?

Jman
Wed, 06-30-2004, 04:16 PM
naturally they'd make a mess of things with the voices especially with naruto adding his emphasis on the end of his sentences.

ShinobiNeko
Wed, 06-30-2004, 04:18 PM
I'm going to have to disagree with you on that Masakari. First, there are many anime i've seen first as dubs, and t hen when i saw the subs, liked them better. I don't think it's always that because you saw sub first your partial to it. In general the voice acting in the subs are just plain better. Yeah it's true you have to focus on reading the subtitles, but we are talking about the voice acting, and japan does a better job. They pick voices that generall fit the character way better, and the emotions and actiing is generally way better in the japanese versions. My biggest problem with dubs besides the voices a lot of the times not fitting is that the emotions lack and the acting could have been better.

Darkflare
Wed, 06-30-2004, 04:32 PM
so far, the only dubs i really like are the cowboy bebop dubs. and for naruto? i would do the voice because i am that cool

miaka
Wed, 06-30-2004, 04:36 PM
i agree with misa..dubs almost have no good voice actors... only ones i can stand is the ones from pioneer. and darkflare... hmm you can as long as you don't do a crappy job i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gifi/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

Halo2298
Wed, 06-30-2004, 04:47 PM
I think everyone is too critical of American dubs. First of all, I really believe that it's just a matter of which language you hear it in first for the most part. Like right now, I don't think I could tolerate a dub of Naruto because I'm so accustomed to the characters sounding as they do. I get the same feeling for a show when they simply change the voice actor(in the same language, of course) for a character. Of course, there are instances where I think the American versions are far superior to the original. If any of you have watched Gundam(pretty much any of them) the American casts are better for almost every single role. Personally, I think it's because Ocean Group is a good dubbing agency with a lot of talent to draw on. Cowboy Bebop is a better dub than original with the exception of Ed's voice, though, the American is still good. Anyway...

Elrone
Mon, 07-05-2004, 07:59 PM
They should have the chick that does the Bart Simpson voice do Naruto. Ok that particular voice would be wrong but at least she would have experience of being a woman doing a boys voice, much like in Japan. She could change it to fit the character easier than any other voice actor.

Failing that, Lenny Henry would be perfect i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

WarkWark
Mon, 07-05-2004, 09:07 PM
From my experience based on watching several series in english and japanese.
Watching it subbed is much better, american actors seems to not put as much emotion into the reading as the original actors do, not to mention the way it is written (in japanese) is the way it needs to be read, if someone were to translate something from japanese to american without moving or changing any of the words around, it would not sound correctly. So they pretty much have to change the wording and words around, the complete lack of emotion in the reading is pretty atrocious, and honestly, I think that it just sounds better in japanese it just sounds natural. Sometimes I forget its not in english, I get into the episode and I start reading the subs and it seems like I am watching it in english.. maybe im just weird i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

Pyron
Tue, 07-06-2004, 01:01 AM
i think that whoever's voice is used for naruto will suck for anyone that watches the anime. you know that's gonna happen too. but whoever they do pick...i think it'll take a few episodes for everyone to get use to it...then people won't really mind it as much. example.. goku. the american one is ok but i think he's shouting sucks haha. the jap version sounds more intense even though its a girl voice actor

Medion
Tue, 07-06-2004, 08:19 PM
One thing that happens in 99.9% of american dubs is that the voice actors seem unable to perform anything more intense than a normal dialogue. Shouting, speaking with anger, crying, screaming... most of the times it sounds pathetic and phony.

Maybe it's because many dubs aren't even done by actual actors...

Myuki
Wed, 07-07-2004, 02:10 PM
The dub for Record of Lodoss War was fairly good too, ya know. But aside from that, Mononoke, and Bebop, not many animes I've seen have been up to par for good voice actors. And the guy who does Spike Spiegel in Bebop wasn't just reused in Rurouni Kenshin, they also used him for that stupid Megas XLR they play on cartoon network. That guy is used in alot of places, including many video games, here's his listing on IMDB:

http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0089710/

Edit: Let me amend my opinion, Lodoss War was a great dub with the exception of the person who did Deedlit. The english voice for Deedlit was an annoying voice altogether, not as Deedlit, I mean it seriously is a voice that if I heard anywhere I'd be annoyed by it. Ranks right up there with Rosie Perez and Fran Drescher.

kakashi_gurl
Thu, 07-08-2004, 01:45 PM
I agree, unless you can find a person who was born in america but can speak/understand/write japanese and english...those types of people would fit the job best cuz then they would understand both languages as opposed to just one

kakashi_gurl
Thu, 07-08-2004, 01:50 PM
I think the american inuyasha is ok...but..as the plot moves along in inuyasha..im reallying beginning to lose interest..all they are doing each episode if fighting/finding something...its soo boring..
thats i thing i like about naruto..tis different..u dont go on fighting other shinobi every episode...

AngryGumball
Thu, 07-08-2004, 06:15 PM
[quote]
Originally posted by: Myuki
The dub for Record of Lodoss War was fairly good too, ya know. But aside from that, Mononoke, and Bebop, not many animes I've seen have been up to par for good voice actors. And the guy who does Spike Spiegel in Bebop wasn't just reused in Rurouni Kenshin, they also used him for that stupid Megas XLR they play on cartoon network. That guy is used in alot of places, including many video games, here's his listing on IMDB:

http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0089710/[quote]
[e]

__________________________________________________ __________________________

Thank you for the link Myuki, I think its safe to say that Blum has oversaturated the market. I am happy I did not reconize the voice in some things I've played.

Not to be rude or anything but i don't care if he does not get any more work or has to make a living at this, because he is simply used to much is all. His use of "That voice" is over used too reconized that it becomes an association problem. If you associate a voice with a certain character, why should it be ok to use that voice in another series at all. If you have no problem with him doing the same voice in many different series then you should have no problem with someone using the same character in a completely different series, Hello Spike why are you here in Love Hina, Answer: because I need the work. But Spike this is a Love story with no guns. Spike says: I do not care this is what i do best.

LostAngel
Thu, 07-08-2004, 09:43 PM
I think if you watch a anime in jap version you will never like the American version. Like Cowboy Bebop, to me the dub wasn't all that great, because I had first seen it with Jap dialogue, and Spikes voice was calm, kind of monotone to give him a whatever caring type of personality, when the american voice gave him a completely different outlook on his personlity. Thats the problem I have with American dubs. To me voices are a major part of the personality someone has, if they voice doesn't carry the same type of personlity as the Jap dialogue I dont like it. Now if I had seen the Eng version first I might think differently.

For example I prefered the Eng Trigun over the Jap, not that really any of the voices where that great but Vashs English voice I thought sounded better than the Jap did. I had first seen it in English, but I am sure if I watched the Jap first I would not of liked the English voice for Vash.

Karasu
Fri, 07-09-2004, 05:07 AM
Hmm sure Cowboy bebop eng dubbing sounds decent, but it's miles away from the original..

Too critic about u.s dubbing, Im against all dubbing i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif But for me atleast it's not about what you hear first, anime is a wierd thing, when you hear a japanese voice actor do the voice of a char it sounds natural in some way, 98% of everything else I've heard that does dubbing sounds fake in some wierd way. No matter what lang you heard it in first. Armitage has like one of the Sutherlands and Juliette Lewis in and still sounds like shit most of the time.

Disney, Pixar and the other American animation companies. When they do a movie by some strange phenomenon the voices fits pretty damn good with the chars most of the time i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif.. It will probably sound wierd watching lion king in japanese. It doesnt fit the drawings and the kind of story they are telling.

Deblas
Fri, 07-16-2004, 04:53 PM
I think it depends in what language you see it first. I saw Cowboy Bebop frist in english but when i saw it in japanese it didnt feel right even if it is the original voices and when i saw Naruto i cant imagine an english version. Thats my opinion

Draken
Sat, 07-17-2004, 05:20 PM
I agree that animes get some sort of strange feeling after beeing dubbed, i dont get the same feeling on the majority of movies.

Draken