PDA

View Full Version : Help with Converting MP3 into .txt format

-ANBU-Sasuke-
Tue, 06-15-2004, 01:41 PM
Okay, latetly im trying to convert mp3 files into .txt files so i can use them for webhosting and ect. But im not sure how to do this. I've tried to just get the mp3 file and open it up on wordpad and save it as a .txt file, but it when i play it with winamp or anything it gets all scrambled kind of.

If anyone can help me out with this thanks! And for those who tired thanks alot too.

Barumonk
Tue, 06-15-2004, 02:30 PM
I'm in Windows 2000 so it might be slightly different, depending on the operating system.

Open any folder.
In the folder's menu go to Tools > Folder Options.
The Folder Options window should have several tabs near the top of the window, select the "View" tab.
Uncheck the box for "Hide file extensions for known types".
Press "OK".

Now you should be able to simply rename it. Change the name from [Insert Filename Here].mp3 to [Insert Filename Here].txt. It shouldn't change any of the data within the file.

EDIT: If your not use to being able to view and edit the file extensions, you should probably re-check that box when your finished. While you can simply edit the filename a second time if you screw up, it would be bad if you renamed something important and "forgot" to fix it and/or change it back to its original state.

-ANBU-Sasuke-
Tue, 06-15-2004, 05:38 PM
O, I c, why couldnt i think of that. DOH! Thanks Barumonk! thanks a big one.

complich8
Tue, 06-15-2004, 07:49 PM
something to be aware of doing this though ....

if you convert a binary file to ascii then back to binary (or transfer it with a binary transfer mode, for example) you are VERY likely to hose the file in very bad ways. I believe in video terminology they call this "baking" and it's what you experienced with your file you saved in wordpad...

You might want to look into uuencode and uudecode -- they let you safely carry stuff across ascii/binary. Alternately you can just host the binary files with the proper mime types and extensions and let the webserver sort it out (they are usually pretty good at mine type handling and guessing), or you could zip it. All of this of course depends on where and how you're trying to webhost it.

-ANBU-Sasuke-
Wed, 06-16-2004, 02:19 AM
Nah i didnt need to go into so much complications, ive already got it runing. But thanks complich8. Ill keep that in mind.