PDA

View Full Version : euro 2004 topic

chambers
Sat, 06-12-2004, 03:21 PM
any portugese: unlucky, although i wanted you guys to win, i really thought greece were deserved winners!!!

Toruxxx
Sat, 06-12-2004, 04:12 PM
that match was pretty good and the spain vs russia was ok match aswell lots of bookings. big match 2moro tho i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif england vs france!

chambers
Sat, 06-12-2004, 04:29 PM
innit, c'mon the lads, i really think we can win this.

Toruxxx
Sat, 06-12-2004, 04:43 PM
very true but we are going against a hard team but nvm we can win!! *think positive thoughts think positive thoughts*

chambers
Sat, 06-12-2004, 04:54 PM
if henry aint playin we will murder them, hes the only way they gonna score.

Toruxxx
Sat, 06-12-2004, 04:58 PM
lol we need some1 to break his legs that be good but i think he is playing but if the defence holds up we will be ok.

Swallow Your Soul
Sat, 06-12-2004, 07:33 PM
Watched the two games today, I wanted Greece to win (partly cos they're the smaller team and partly cos of one of the most irritating players in the Premiership plays for them...plus he plays for Utd as well) and I wanted Russia to beat Spain...but they were so shit I'm amazed how hard Spain made it for themselves to score 1 goal!

Can't watch the England match tomorrow which kinda sucks, especially seeing as its against France so I might tape it while I'm out, that and Fantasy Football after (for the first time since it was a regular series it was well ace the other night). I'm not a huge England fan for meaningless games but I usually do support them during tournaments though I was pretty gutted SWP didn't make the squad he'd have made a perfect attacking substitute...and it'd make it more interesting for me having a City player (besides Jamo) in the squad (more loyal to club than country).

I think everything pretty much hinges on the defence...we're alright going forward but if we fuck it up too much then we're gonna get a slapping...

oceen246
Sat, 06-12-2004, 11:00 PM
no matter what ya'll think, there's no way england is taking down france

Swallow Your Soul
Sun, 06-13-2004, 04:29 AM
Yeah but we can dream i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

Remember the 2002 World Cup though? They failed to score a single goal in the whole tournament (despite winning the previous World Cup). Any team can be beaten its just gonna be extremely hard...

Shuurai
Sun, 06-13-2004, 06:03 AM
It dont matter if we win or not (England) at times like this we are united and when we win sometime into the future i will smurk and remember the people who thought we wouldent win i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

Uchiha-Itachi
Sun, 06-13-2004, 06:09 AM
The Netherlands are going to win the cup! i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

Swallow Your Soul
Sun, 06-13-2004, 06:25 AM
Oh yeah apparently Bossie (Paul Bosvelt) is playing for Holland because they have injuries in midfield...I'll make sure I watch them to see if he gets a game...

Toruxxx
Sun, 06-13-2004, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by: oceen246
no matter what ya'll think, there's no way england is taking down france

well we will see 2day!!

Shuurai
Sun, 06-13-2004, 01:21 PM
Here we go people may the best team win i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

Edit: Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

They got 2 goals in the last 5 mins grrrrrrrrr

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Toruxxx
Sun, 06-13-2004, 03:50 PM
how in gods name did we loose that match!!!! we were playing so well till the last 10 mins!!!!!!!! man wtf!!!

oceen246
Sun, 06-13-2004, 05:06 PM
hmmmmm!!!! what else can I say, I already told ya'll, there's no way ya'll (England) can beat us (France). We won't repeat the same mistake as in 2002.

ALLEZ LES BLEUS, ALLEZ LES BLEUS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Toruxxx
Sun, 06-13-2004, 05:09 PM
man u were so beat! u were just lucky! u wont win euro2k4!!!

oceen246
Sun, 06-13-2004, 05:31 PM
We won 19 games straight. Well, that's what we call football, you never know what will happen until you hear whistle, and then you know it's over. But please people, don't hate on me, and just CONGRATULATE me, HAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!

chambers
Sun, 06-13-2004, 05:43 PM
yeaqh right more like ill congratualte fuckin africa for havin such an amazin team. not one single playe ron the entire fuckin pitch was french, fuckin wankers.

oceen246
Sun, 06-13-2004, 05:56 PM
It doesn't matter where the people come from, all that matter is what jersey they have on. Take the NBA for example, when you talk about kobe, you start thinking about L.A. eventhough he's from philly. Nationality, age, etc....., are not an issue here.

chambers
Sun, 06-13-2004, 06:26 PM
dont be such a fuckin idiot, if we line up against fracne with RVN an henry in our team you would think thats ok? dont be daft, off the top of my head i can only think of barthez who is an actual french person. other than that they are ALL african people. you havce to poach from your colonies to make a good team.

Swallow Your Soul
Sun, 06-13-2004, 07:10 PM
Edited due to not having seen the match when I started typing - so what I said wasn't accurate: It was pretty cruel on England but we shouldn't have collapsed in the way that we did...harsh on England but if you fuck it up against France they're not gonna fuck about, the free-kick was a stupid one to give away and Gerrards back pass was diabolical.

I still think we'll qualify though, Croatia aren't the same team they were with Sukur and Switzerland aren't anywhere near as good as us so as long as we can beat the weaker teams then its still possible to go through.

I can't really say France didn't deserve anything considering they totally dominated the 2nd half (even though we defended so well). A draw probably would have been a fairer result than a loss but its our own fault for bottling it after they scored their free kick. We have no-one to blame but ourselves (and lets face it the free kick by Zidane was amazing...even if the wall was arranged badly).

It doesn't matter where the people come from, all that matter is what jersey they have on. Take the NBA for example, when you talk about kobe, you start thinking about L.A. eventhough he's from philly. Nationality, age, etc....., are not an issue here.

It does matter. This is international football not club football. Totally different situations. What matters is whether someone has enough of a blood ties to a country etc...like I said, as far as I know France aren't breaking any rules so slagging them off for that won't do any good (except maybe to let off steam...after all no-one complained about that before the game...), but your comparison with national basketball teams could not be more incorrect.

oceen246
Sun, 06-13-2004, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by: chambers
dont be such a fuckin idiot, if we line up against fracne with RVN an henry in our team you would think thats ok? dont be daft, off the top of my head i can only think of barthez who is an actual french person. other than that they are ALL african people. you havce to poach from your colonies to make a good team.

I don't know why you have to disrepect me eventhough you don't know me. First of all, I'm black, grew up in France, was born in Ivory Coast (West Africa), so trust me, I might know much better this than you do. You don't know anything about those people, you don't know how difficult it was for us to be accepted by society. Those player decided to represent France because most of them were born or grew up there. I was born in Ivory Coast and I'm proud of it, but to other people, they see me as french, eventhough I tell them I'm Ivorian. I think the same way minority people do over there, and like I said, you don't know anything about me, and you don't know anything about them, so you shouldn't tell me I'm such a "fuckin idiot," because it is uncalled for.

Swallow Your Soul, you're right, the comparison I used is not good, but what I meant to say is, then no black people should play for the US basketball team as they all originally from africa. It might sound stupid, but it sounds the same as saying the player in the french football team are not french, because they're black or arabic.

Swallow Your Soul
Sun, 06-13-2004, 10:13 PM
Yeah, all the players are eligible to play for France so they all have the right to be in the team, and France have the right to play them.

Anyway...we shouldn't really let the arguing go on too long...it'd suck if the topic turning into a pointless fight and end up getting locked when theres only been like 2 days of football having gone! The tournament is still young!

chambers
Thu, 06-17-2004, 11:35 AM
omg what a goal rooney just scored such amazing build up play. i am SO glad we dont have none of the other garbage other sports like hockey an stuff. ill take a low league game of footie over the super bowl final any day.

Swallow Your Soul
Thu, 06-17-2004, 01:39 PM
The first goal? Yeah some good crosses by Beckham and Owen and a good header as well. We were never gonna lose today and its definitely possible to beat Croatia so I reckon we'll still get through.

Stoopider
Thu, 06-17-2004, 02:06 PM
BTW, in case you guys didn't know..

ENgland 3-0 Switzerland..

England now just need a draw or a win vs. Croatia.. As it is, I doubt Croatia is going to win vs. France (I'm watching the game right now. It's 3am. Yay! Going to die tomorrow)

Swallow Your Soul
Thu, 06-17-2004, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by: Stoopider
BTW, in case you guys didn't know..

ENgland 3-0 Switzerland..

England now just need a draw or a win vs. Croatia.. As it is, I doubt Croatia is going to win vs. France (I'm watching the game right now. It's 3am. Yay! Going to die tomorrow)

Yeah the goal I commented on was the first goal of that game...I think everyone in the country knows the score i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif (and its pretty likely shitloads of people were taking sickies from work so they could watch the game). Even non-football fans seem to get into tournaments when England are playing...though I sometimes find that kind of irritating when they couldn't even tell you the clubs that half the English squad play for but they act like a huge fan... (*takes deep cleansing breath*).

...fucking hell croatia have just won a pen!!!

Silvestres given away two penalties in two fucking games!

Edit - 2-1 to Croatia...WHAT THE FUCK???? i/expressions/devil.gif i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif

LOL another stupid back pass 2-2 i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

Stoopider
Thu, 06-17-2004, 03:45 PM
Hmm... Draw 2-2. Okay...

So points wise...

Switzerland - 1
England - 3
France - 4
Croatia - 2

So unless Switzerland beat France, England would need a draw or a win. They cannot lose. Even then, Switzerland need to win by a 4 goals or more advantage. WHich is near impossible. Whew. Fun game. I'm going to sleep now. G'night y'all. It's 4:35 am. i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

Stoopider
Sat, 06-19-2004, 09:45 PM
ALL HAIL CZECH REPUBLIC!!! i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

Mut
Sat, 06-19-2004, 10:10 PM
i don't know what this thread is about (i didn't bother reading any of the posts), but i think it's about soccer since i see sports score ie. 3-0. i know it can't be hockey since this is a euro topic. so... basically... soccer is gay.

Stoopider
Sat, 06-19-2004, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by: Mut@t@
soccer is gay.

Heheh. Typical of you.

Well, It's the most played and the most famous game in the world. And it's picking up in America as well. Soccer is like the Borg!! Resistance is futile.

Swallow Your Soul
Sat, 06-19-2004, 11:39 PM
All I can say is Holland got screwed. That guy should never have been sent off. Diving players are so fucking annoying...

I missed the games today and yesterday cos I got ill for a while so my sleeping times are all totally messed up...just watched the late replay of the Dutch match.

Football rules, and yeah I'm hearing its picking up in America a little bit...City have got an American midfielder (Claudio Reyna) and United have got their keeper...their national side was surprisingly good when I last watched them...

I like it on Soccer AM where they do bits of football with American commentary...its well funny i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif. Shame its on so early so I don't see it much...

r3n
Mon, 06-21-2004, 08:59 AM
still dont know why american "football" is called football, they use their hands mostly. how retarded eh.

u see the korean dude in the mobile ads b4 some of the games? when hes juggling the ball while lying down, thats so cool i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

Hakeem_21
Mon, 06-21-2004, 09:14 AM
Im a swede and i root... for Sweden. I hope Germany wins against Nedved and Co cause i dont want Sweden to meet Holland in Qaurterfinal,i want Sweden to meet Germany cause they suck compared.

If Sweden doesnt win Euro 2004 and i want the Czech to win cause they play a wonderful football. My fav is Rosicky, he is soo good.

Stoopider
Mon, 06-21-2004, 10:39 AM
I'm a Milan Baros fan.. Heh. Maybe it's to do with that he's a liverpool player as well. Yeah, the Swede's are good, Larson is really scary this time round. Dunno why Sweden is always considered an underdog compared to the other big nations. I have a feeling Sweden and Denmark are going to qualify. I hope! Italy out of the match, and we got 2 favorites gone.

chambers
Mon, 06-21-2004, 02:49 PM
cmon. england 2-1 up at half time. rooney scores best goal EVAR.

edit: cmon champions of europe in the making here.

oceen246
Mon, 06-21-2004, 10:22 PM
France advances to the quarters with a 3-1 win over Switzerland

PSJ
Wed, 06-23-2004, 01:50 PM
so ill be the first one to this. YES DEN 2-2 SWE!!!! NO MORE FUCKIN SPAGETTIES IN THIS CUP HAHAHAHAHA SWEDEN RULES. IN ME BOLLEN I MÅÅÅL!!!!! THE DANISH ARE ALRIGHT TO IM GLAD THEY MANAGED TO GET TO THE QUARTER INSTEAD OF ITALY!!! HAHAHAHAHAHA.

its nice when some of the favorites are out. any netherlands ppl here? if you get to the quarter we will beat you so bad that you will cry for a year..

Stoopider
Thu, 06-24-2004, 05:31 AM
Excellent. And then Czech Republic is going to kick them Danish peeps.

Germany was painfully crap. They lost 2-1 to the second Czech team. Many kudos to milan Baros.. Wwooga.

PSJ
Thu, 06-24-2004, 08:58 AM
hmm now its netherlands in the quarter this saturday after that we can start looking forward for the semi, and a possible medal. sweden is strong this year. go sweden!!!!!

Swallow Your Soul
Thu, 06-24-2004, 03:12 PM
England are winning 1-0 at the minute...to be honest I'd kinda like to see them to lose...I'm sick of all the bullshit excitement all over the media and from people everywhere...

COME ON PORTUGAL! i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

Stoopider
Thu, 06-24-2004, 05:01 PM
England Lost on penalties. Final score was 2-2.

I thought England would lose ever since 10 minutes into the game. They were totally outclassed in the midfield by the Portuguese.

Okay good now. Since the players can get some rest for the next season of EPL!!!

Swallow Your Soul
Thu, 06-24-2004, 05:07 PM
Yeah the portugese took their penalties really well (much more confidently as well). England shouldn't have had that goal disallowed though, the header in the last minute by Campbell was disallowed wrongfully so Portugal are very lucky to go through...but I'm still glad i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif.

PSJ
Thu, 06-24-2004, 05:22 PM
great game. the penalty by postagina(or whatevere his name was) was really cold. he cant have any nerves at all, i mean a chip at a time like that. he's crazy. then its denmark czech republic tomorrow and sweden - netherlands on saturday.

congratulations portugal. first team to move on to the semi.

Toruxxx
Thu, 06-24-2004, 08:20 PM
man portugal were fucking lucky!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it should of never went into extra time or penaltys!!!!!!!!!!!!! fucking ref was a wanker i dont care if i get done for swearing i fucking hated it!! england should of won 2-1!!! fucking bastards!!! all of em are!! we were robbed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! fuckers!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Swallow Your Soul
Thu, 06-24-2004, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by: Pervert-Sennin Jiraiya
great game. the penalty by postagina(or whatevere his name was) was really cold. he cant have any nerves at all, i mean a chip at a time like that. he's crazy. then its denmark czech republic tomorrow and sweden - netherlands on saturday.

congratulations portugal. first team to move on to the semi.

Yeah, all of the Portugese (except Rui Costa) took their penalties dead calmly and the keepers penalty was practically unstoppable! That penalty spot was a disgrace, the ref should have switched ends or something because it was in such bad condition...

Yeah to be honest, even though I wanted Portugal to win, like Toru said, even though Portugal pretty much dominated the game after Rooney got injured, they still got totally screwed by the ref.

Toru you heard any songs by Undown? ToruXXX's side project (nothing like MCM though - they're pretty heavy compared to MCM).

chambers
Fri, 06-25-2004, 06:34 AM
fuckin 12 players playin for portugal last night and one of them was not even fuckin portugese. i wish some fan would have ran on an fuckin headbutted him when he disallowed that goal. such a biased cunt just cos we knocked his country out. FIFA WHERE ARE VIDEO REPLAYS.

Hakeem_21
Fri, 06-25-2004, 07:20 AM
I wanted England to win but the defensive style killed them,you can give the portugese the ball all the time and expect to win...

My man of the match was A.Cole he took care of C.Ronaldo very easy. It was a comedy Ronaldo thinks he is so good but A.Cole wake him up from his dream.....

Pyron
Sat, 06-26-2004, 01:21 AM
damn greek!!

chambers
Sat, 06-26-2004, 05:26 AM
YES GET IN. ive been saying it for two years now, the french have lost it they are ALL past there best and henry cant take the pressure!!

Hakeem_21
Sat, 06-26-2004, 08:22 AM
The french lost cause their so called stars was crap Henry was the only who showed a litte class but it wasnt enough. I didnt want the french to win Euro 04 anywayi/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

I hope the dutch plays like France and Sweden wins! Heja blå gulti/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

chambers
Sat, 06-26-2004, 09:43 AM
huh? which tourny were you watchin? henry may as well have stayed in london. he was utter bollocks in every game. zidane an barthez were the only players that turned up.

Swallow Your Soul
Sat, 06-26-2004, 11:57 AM
True, they were pretty much all shit against Greece, except Zidane...I really should start watching Spanish league football to see him play more often...

I'm glad Greece won...a mate of mine's college class ran a sweep where they all drew a team randomly and the guy whose team wins the tournament gets all the money...my mate got Greece so he'll be well chuffed so far. i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif Dutch or Czechs will probably win it in the end though.

Stoopider
Sat, 06-26-2004, 12:40 PM
Zidane's world class. I do watch Real madrid play sometimes. But have to say, towards the end of the season, all their galactico's had a very horrible slump. And I think they carried it into the Euro 2004's.

Thierry Henry was somewhat dissapointing. A person of his class who was magical for Arsenal. But I have to give most credit to the Greeks. Their hardwork defending like mad pulled off. At least they don't have lapse in concentrations unlike England conceding goals towards end of games.

Himura_san
Sat, 06-26-2004, 01:29 PM
All I want to know is when the World Cup is going to be played?
Also I heard it's in Mexico, is that so??

PSJ
Sat, 06-26-2004, 05:35 PM
hmm netherlands got lucky today, sweden lost but we'll beat them in the world cup 2006. now its only denmark left go denmark we want some scandinavians in the final i need a purpose to watch the rest of euro 04

oceen246
Sat, 06-26-2004, 11:52 PM
The world cup is going to be in Germany 2006

PSJ
Sun, 06-27-2004, 07:23 AM
oh germany that isnt so far from here maybe ill go there and watch it.

Pyron
Sun, 06-27-2004, 07:10 PM
its all about netherlands now

Stoopider
Mon, 06-28-2004, 04:45 AM
it's going to be Czech vs Netherlands in the finals. I can smell it!!!

And czech is going to beat Netherlands like the last 2 times they met. i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

Czechs are magnificent! Milan Baros is probably hanging out with Micheal Owen too much

PSJ
Mon, 06-28-2004, 06:06 AM
hmm yea sounds reasonable. if netherlands doesnt lose to portugal, they'll meet them in the semi right? i would like to see greece in the finals i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

Hakeem_21
Mon, 06-28-2004, 08:51 AM
pervert why in the world would like to see a defensiv crappy team to win?? The winner will be the team with the best mittfielders and that is the Czechs with Nedved,Rosicky,Poborsky,Galasek....

I hope the Czechs win cause they play the best football of the teams left.

Pervert: If Henke had less power in his crossbar shot we would be meeting the Greeks now.

chambers
Mon, 06-28-2004, 03:54 PM
end of day i would LOVE to see greece win it, and i think 90% of neutrals would to. but realisticlly i would like to see czech win it!

PSJ
Mon, 06-28-2004, 03:59 PM
yea i would like greece to win it would be cool i a team came from nowhere to win the europian cup.

@ Hakeem: yea and if we were i would want us to win for obvious reasons. and i dont want to see fuckin netherlands in the finals. we almost had them.

Hakeem_21
Mon, 06-28-2004, 06:02 PM
yea i would like greece to win it would be cool i a team came from nowhere to win the europian cup.

@ Hakeem: yea and if we were i would want us to win for obvious reasons. and i dont want to see fuckin netherlands in the finals. we almost had them.

Dont worry the dutch wont win cause if Portugal doesnt finish them the czechs will!

Swallow Your Soul
Mon, 06-28-2004, 07:15 PM
It would be really cool if Greece could win it, but my worry is that if they made the final it'd just turn out like the FA Cup final, where at the time I thought it'd be really cool for Millwall to make the final..then as a result the final was totally crap as United were comfortable winners and the game was boring as hell.

Personally I think the Czechs'll win it.

PSJ
Mon, 06-28-2004, 07:19 PM
yea i think so too, they have played the best football(or soccer as americans calls it) well its really not that much of an interest to me anymore im not that into football normally i dont even like playing the game. i like the thrill of seeing your country do well in something. well next time its the world cup 06 thats gonna be fun i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

Stoopider
Tue, 06-29-2004, 12:26 PM
If they show in US, you should watch the league's. It's better. Show's the players their true potential. Expecially what a bum Beckham really is.

PSJ
Tue, 06-29-2004, 04:11 PM
the leagues are crap since you cant cheer for your country and it would be useless to watch then.

chambers
Tue, 06-29-2004, 05:14 PM
a bum? you have no clue, hes a world calss player, and he had a better tourny than henry IMO who while becks played bad henry didnt even lace his fuckin boots up.

r3n
Tue, 06-29-2004, 05:42 PM
he plays better in league games than he does in international football.... hes a worldclass player, jst had a bad tourney, same with henry.

chambers
Wed, 06-30-2004, 08:44 AM
what? he plays MILESSSSSSSSS better for international games. unlike henry who bottles anything and everything when he in a france shirt. becks plays good at club level, he normally plays amazing for england. normally best player on pitch by miles.

Stoopider
Wed, 06-30-2004, 09:40 AM
Beckham is overrated. Sure, he has a sweetfoot. But his overall game is average

Swallow Your Soul
Wed, 06-30-2004, 12:28 PM
the leagues are crap since you cant cheer for your country and it would be useless to watch then.

Depends if you actually like football or not.

Besides I don't cheer on my country in big tournaments, I support my club who I've grown up with through my family and so I support them. For me Euro/World Cup tournies are just for entertainment while the serious football is the domestic season. (Anyone who could support City AND England should be put on 24 hour suicide watch i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif)

On Beckham...he seemed to have a really good start at Madrid but then got worse and worse as the season wore on, then he had a bad tournament for England. Maybe all the bullshit that got written about him affected him, all the controversy over some slapper who claimed she had an affair with him etc etc...or maybe like he said, Madrids fitness training wasn't up to scratch (though Figo said thats not true).

I'm not sure whether he is over-rated or not, he might not be great with his left foot and his head but his right foot is possibly the best in the world. Also he isn't the irritating little brat that he used to be (temper tantrums etc), he's matured a lot over the years and his delivery is well good...

And thats from a City fan who for several years hated Beckhams guts...

chambers
Wed, 06-30-2004, 01:59 PM
if you define avergae as "better then 90% of top flight world wide players" then yes he is average.

Swallow Your Soul
Wed, 06-30-2004, 03:50 PM
Portugal are through, pretty much deserved it as Holland were diabolical until they got that own goal...did anyone see Edgar Davids lazily leaning against the post when Ronaldo scored that header? That was well funny...he might have been able to block it if he hadn't been doing that, but Holland deserved to go out anyway, they've not had a good tournament and the defending for the two goals was awful.

Masamune
Wed, 06-30-2004, 03:52 PM
holland has good players. its just not a team.

Swallow Your Soul
Wed, 06-30-2004, 04:20 PM
Yeah it does look that way. I feel sorry for Van Nistelrooy (sp?) and Van Der Sar. Van Nistelrooy doesn't get much support and the defence didn't exactly protect Van Der Sar well, though Stam had quite a good game today...

Stoopider
Thu, 07-01-2004, 05:45 AM
Netherlands defence was horrible. I think their squad is getting too old.. Or their ego's are too big. Their attack wasn't too bad.

The Portugal team was excellent though. Deco had a brilliant game.

?igma
Thu, 07-01-2004, 06:16 AM
Yeah we plain suck @ defense i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif , Stam is way overrated, The coach keeps playing in a system with 30 meters between the defense and the attack, no wonder there is this HUGE amount of long balls.. All in all, I say we need some other system, younger players and a better defense ..

Stoopider
Thu, 07-01-2004, 04:12 PM
WTF!! Fucking chap sei kai Greek players. They won 1-0 in the 105th minute, by corner. Diver's....

Fouls Czech = 32, Greek= 16. WTF!!!???

People talk about Collina being the best referee... Rubbish.

Sack stupid Ian Koller. Loses out to people in headers, can kick a ball for nuts, can't even pass a ball, or do shit. They should have put on Heinz from the 60th minute onwards. Koller can't do crap.

stos289
Thu, 07-01-2004, 04:15 PM
GREECE WINS!!!! In overtime with 5 seconds left, Dellas scored with a header off a corner kick beating Czech Republic 1 to 0. This might not interest some of you, but being 100% Greek myself, it is one of the greatest things that could happen. This is the first time ever Greece will be in the finals (against Portugal), and if they win, it will be mass chaos in Greece. Again, GREECE WINS!!!!

Swallow Your Soul
Thu, 07-01-2004, 09:18 PM
I wasn't in today to watch the match i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif but I heard the result on my way home and my mate was well chuffed (he drew Greece in a sweep where 16 people in his class drew a random team for the tournament), I usually like it when the smaller team wins and I'm sure the Greek fans would have settled for a single win in the group stage, then to go out (they had never won a game in a Euro tournament such as this or in the World Cup before this tournament started) so getting to the final (and beating France and the Czechs along the way) will be amazing for them. I'll be supporting them in the final, it'd be so cool for them to win it, though I guess the quality and entertainment level of the game could be a lot lower...I heard tonights game was dull to say the least until extra time...

hinatacretu
Fri, 07-02-2004, 12:09 PM
hinatacretu's predictions would be tat the greeks will win... why??? the conspiracy of letting greece get some glory since its the year where athens host the olmypics...

Pyron
Fri, 07-02-2004, 09:09 PM
how do the greeks win?!?! this is horrible...
portugal better win now

Stoopider
Sat, 07-03-2004, 01:34 AM
Aih.. emotional dump.. BUt for beating france and czech republic, they deserve to be in the finals then.

However I don't want them to win.. Just don't like them. i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

hinatacretu
Sat, 07-03-2004, 02:25 PM
if there's a definition of negative football or playing the UNbeautiful game... i would suggest ya guys look at the greeks... even singapore lions play more attacking football i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

Swallow Your Soul
Sat, 07-03-2004, 03:04 PM
Yeah thats true, but they aren't good enough to play fancy passing fluent football etc. As far as they're concerned if they open themselves up too much they'll just get totally outplayed so they have to play more negatively in order to not get a slapping.

If you think they're defensive then you haven't seen English Division Two teams play (top level is Premiership, then below that First Division, then below that Second Division). Div2 is where the real pain is!

Stoopider
Sat, 07-03-2004, 10:51 PM
Is it division 2 the one where they averagely score 5 goals and more per team? Those are fun to watch.

Pyron
Sun, 07-04-2004, 12:30 AM
portugal is gonna win now...its all rigged!

Swallow Your Soul
Sun, 07-04-2004, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by: Stoopider
Is it division 2 the one where they averagely score 5 goals and more per team? Those are fun to watch.

Yup i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif. They're fun to watch, unless you support a team who was in the Premiership, got relegated from the Premiership into Div1, then got relegated into Div2, meaning that your team's local rivals for that season change from Man United, to Stockport County, to Macclesfield town!! i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif That was the position Man City were in until they managed to get promoted twice again to get back in the Prem...pain the likes of which I never want to see again. Thank the lord for Paul Dickov...

Finals on today, I can't see Portugal losing this but it'd be fucking funny if they did i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

oceen246
Sun, 07-04-2004, 12:10 PM
I really don't want the greek to win, but damn, just look at what they did to France and the Czech Republic, you never know what might happen. They may be the underdog, but they still beating everybody, just like the pistons and the lakers in the NBA

Swallow Your Soul
Sun, 07-04-2004, 03:58 PM
Yes!! I can't believe the Greeks have won!!! They totally deserved it though, they played really intelligently and defended amazingly.

*wonders how much the entire Greek back four would cost for City*

This rules, congrats to Stos i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

stos289
Sun, 07-04-2004, 04:05 PM
GREECE WINS!!! GREECE WINS!!! ELLADA KERDIZO!!! ELLADA KERDIZO!!! Well, as you can tell Greece has beaten Portugal 1 to 0 and has won the Euro 2004 Cup. Long Live Greece!!!

r3n
Sun, 07-04-2004, 04:39 PM
yeah jst got back from the pub where i was watching it, i wanted portugal to win i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif ronaldo was crying i feel sorry for him :'(

Pyron
Sun, 07-04-2004, 09:06 PM
damn greeks! (no offense to greek people)

Himura_san
Mon, 07-05-2004, 01:53 AM
Haha! all of Portugal is weeping, how sad!

Stoopider
Mon, 07-05-2004, 09:21 AM
The greeks play like Germany of the old. Very tough, very fast, very defensively strong. And when they attack, they attack together.

hinatacretu
Mon, 07-05-2004, 11:51 AM
see!!! isnt this wat i've speculated... its all a fuckin conspiracy...

chambers
Mon, 07-05-2004, 04:21 PM
what its a conspiracy that not only did greece win the competition they were by far and away the best team in it. by miles and miles and miles.

PSJ
Mon, 07-05-2004, 05:25 PM
the greeks did great, played intellegent football. if the teams that faced them were a little smarter they would have won but they werent. the greeks played a man vs. man defending meaning that each player followed one of portugals players all of the game now if the protubitches would have moved unusual they would have a better chance of scoring and also winning. basicly they neede to move more since it was harder to get to the open areas.

hinatacretu
Tue, 07-06-2004, 10:43 AM
greece play unattractive negative football... true it might win games (sometime!!!) but definitely its not gonna win hearts all around the world... portugal played badly last... i mean not quite up to expectations since they've had better days...
one more thing... trust me on tat... greece will NOT qualify for the next world cup... confirm!!!

chambers
Tue, 07-06-2004, 11:03 AM
dude get over it, greece are the best nation at fooballing in the EU, and for the first time in my life time a competition has been won by the best team in it. none of this luck nonsense they ebat everyone they cam eagainst and the beat the 2nd favorites at home twice. the only team that played half as good as greece were the czechs after that sweden came a lousy 3 rd place MILES off the pace set by both greece and czech r.

hinatacretu
Tue, 07-06-2004, 11:16 AM
come on... lets have a bet man... greece aint gonna qualify for the world cup in germany... loser's gonna announce his/her pathetic little judgemental error on the board...
i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

Swallow Your Soul
Tue, 07-06-2004, 12:32 PM
Whether they qualify or not for the World Cup, it doesn't matter (although if countries like South Korea, Slovenia, Russia and Republic of Ireland can qualify for the World Cup then I'm sure its possible for Greece to do so). They out-played and out-thought some of the best teams in Europe (its not like they had an easy run as well, they got past some of the hardest teams) and they barely conceded any goals.

greece play unattractive negative football... true it might win games (sometime!!!) but definitely its not gonna win hearts all around the world

If you're expecting all football to be played in a Brazillian style then yes you might find the more defensive teams dull, but I thought the final was a good, tense game, especially since I was supporting Greece. You can't blame them for not being an attacking team, that isn't one of their strengths, their strengths are that they're fit as fuck, well organised and they clearly have a really good manager. Football is a tactical game, but playing defensively doesn't necessarily mean its bad football to watch.

I thought it'd be a boring final myself, but at first I assumed that once Portugal got one goal, Greece would collapse making it an easy (and therefore boring) final after that, but Greece played much better than I expected...

portugal played badly last

Portugal played badly, mainly because Greece made them play badly by marking their three main threats (Ronaldo, Figo and Deco) completely out of the game. As a result Portugal couldn't break Greece down often enough to make enough decent chances. Then when Greece counter attacked, they looked more dangerous.

hinatacretu
Tue, 07-06-2004, 01:46 PM
if i'm not wrong... south korea do not belong to EU... true i had wish for ALL teams to play attractive attacking football... and greece dun tats why they suck... greece are like the germany of old... but one thing i'm sure they wont dominate EU football like west germany did back in their days... true they won the cup but greece is juz a one-tournament wonder... tats why i said they wont make it to the world cup... i hope tats clear for ya...
well than again... maybe EU football is not for me being too overly cautious.. so lets hope the copa america is not as dead as euro04

Swallow Your Soul
Tue, 07-06-2004, 03:04 PM
No you're not wrong about South Korea, but isn't that irrelevant to what I was saying? I was just saying that lots of countries who aren't exactly brilliant at football manage to qualify for World Cups...the fact that they're not European doesn't matter does it?

No they won't dominate European football like Germany did, I don't think anyone would claim such a thing as it isn't realistic.

Their performance wasn't startling, but they proved that just about any country can be successful in a tournament with the right tactics and attitude etc, their players aren't great players like Rivaldo (of old...he spent the last season trying to get a club from what I heard) etc, but they were enough to get the job done in this tournament. I'd be excited to get that number 5 defender to join City though, he looked really composed which is exactly what we need at the moment (especially after last season).

I don't think European countries are ALL necessarily too cautious, its just that Germany, Holland, Italy and France all seem to suck these days which gave other countries the chance to progress further...plus Euro tournaments aren't usually known for being pretty anyway so you're right that its probably not for you, thats why I stick to league football in England when possible. You might like Premiership football if you can get that where you live, thats generally much faster paced than other European countries...

chambers
Thu, 07-08-2004, 08:44 AM
well actually it does, even the shittest teams in europe (not san marino but romania an such) are beter than teams like s.korea, the difference is s.korea happen to be the best in there qualifying section so they basically automatically qualify for the world cup. the same way rangers or celtic are guranteed to be playing in EU football every season, not because they are good but everyone else is so bad.

Swallow Your Soul
Thu, 07-08-2004, 06:55 PM
Good point chambers. Taken.

But the other countries I mentioned were valid...