PDA

View Full Version : Which is better?

Aegeon
Fri, 06-11-2004, 12:34 AM
Just curious as I have usually held out and waited for ANBU&AonE

hopeknight
Fri, 06-11-2004, 12:41 AM
For 86? I think Bakafishs translation is better, the video had a few artifacts though, but if it's just to tide you over til Anbu releases theirs than that wouldn't matter much.

Mut
Fri, 06-11-2004, 01:22 AM
bakafish is better. their translators are pretty good.

Goingin
Fri, 06-11-2004, 01:48 AM
Bakafish for sure

ShinobiNeko
Fri, 06-11-2004, 01:50 AM
yeah out of those two bakafish

NL|MegaMika
Fri, 06-11-2004, 02:44 AM
No way. Shin Otaku is better. Better image quality, two karaoke's. Translation may be a bit off, but because most of the people replace their fansubs with AA when it comes out is doesn't matter.

kage_bunshin
Fri, 06-11-2004, 03:22 AM
i don't speak jap, but it is well known that bakafish has some great translations, with few errors as well
but they use shit quality raws, so hence bad video quality

shinotaku - got karoake, got good video quality, but it is known they have some pretty bad translations at times.

Starting from Episode 88, Shin Otaku and Akusei will be joining forces.
Akusei translated 87 this week and from what i heard, they did a great job subbing it!

jing
Fri, 06-11-2004, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by: NL|MegaMika
No way. Shin Otaku is better. Better image quality, two karaoke's. Translation may be a bit off, but because most of the people replace their fansubs with AA when it comes out is doesn't matter.

A bit off? ............Just a BIT????????????? lol. they practically GUESS their translations.

SeifeR
Fri, 06-11-2004, 03:18 PM
theyre both awesome
they give me my naruto fix so i support both!
but bakafish is doin great lately

cheez121
Fri, 06-11-2004, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by: jing

A bit off? ............Just a BIT????????????? lol. they practically GUESS their translations.

Wow, you're so cool. I bet you have yet to see any of their recent episodes, huh? Do us all a favor and STFU.

Knives122
Fri, 06-11-2004, 06:23 PM
This is a no brainer, Shin Otaku is better

jing
Fri, 06-11-2004, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by: cheez121

Wow, you're so cool. I bet you have yet to see any of their recent episodes, huh? Do us all a favor and STFU.

UNLESS they go back and fix the episodes up, i see no point, because they will end up confusing the people that watch their old episodes. I really don't care about their recent episodes. They've got a mistake , n they need to fix it, i dont care how good they are now.

By the way Cheez, YOU should watch other subs too, so you know that you aren't already confused.(otherwize u'd know that anbu subs are different from S-O). and you need to keep your cool, and stop defending the confused.

cheez121
Sat, 06-12-2004, 01:56 AM

UNLESS they go back and fix the episodes up, i see no point, because they will end up confusing the people that watch their old episodes. I really don't care about their recent episodes. They've got a mistake , n they need to fix it, i dont care how good they are now.

By the way Cheez, YOU should watch other subs too, so you know that you aren't already confused.(otherwize u'd know that anbu subs are different from S-O). and you need to keep your cool, and stop defending the confused.

It's funny...I only keep ANBU episodes. You know what's even more funny? I only started downloading S-O 3 days ago. Believe me, I know what I'm talking about. You, good sir, do not.

jing
Sat, 06-12-2004, 08:01 AM
Okay, then maybe you should watch the old epsiodes, thats what im trying to say all along. Unless they go back and change it, i have a feeling that people will be mislead.

Aeon
Sat, 06-12-2004, 12:33 PM
I like Bakafish better, but I heard he's taking a month off or something like that. So the next ep from him might not be until ep90.

Assertn
Sat, 06-12-2004, 12:43 PM
cheez, the first 3 naruto releases they've made have all proven to us not to trust em.....i cant just keep downloading their eps in anticipation for the day they dont suck. Early impressions are important, and i lost faith in them after the first 3 releases.

people who dont read the manga have it even worse off, cause they could watch the episode, thinking its all accurate, and then several days later find out its all wrong once they watch the AA version. I would hate to be decieved like that.

Dante
Sat, 06-12-2004, 01:15 PM
I found Akusei to be surprisingly good. Mind you I don't know an ounce of japanese, but still.

jing
Sat, 06-12-2004, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by: AssertnFailure
cheez, the first 3 naruto releases they've made have all proven to us not to trust em.....i cant just keep downloading their eps in anticipation for the day they dont suck. Early impressions are important, and i lost faith in them after the first 3 releases.

people who dont read the manga have it even worse off, cause they could watch the episode, thinking its all accurate, and then several days later find out its all wrong once they watch the AA version. I would hate to be decieved like that.

You're so right about this.
Might I add that when after those people watch the AA version, they would STILL be confused because they don't know which version of the sub trust. To trust AA or to trust S-O. Of course, the people who don't go back watching the AA sub again will be at a disadvantage because they are totally wrong. S-O needs to go back and change everything so they don't mislead people. An example of this would be the forum member chamber. Even now he STILL thinks that kakashi knows ALL the jutsus of the konoha. We don't know what version he watched, but we definitely know that AA won't make an absurd mistake like that.

cheez121: it doesn't matter how good they are now, you should go back and watch their old episodes, and you might just be feeling what were all feeling. i think it was episode 80 - 83, that had a big WOW WHERE THE HECK DID THAT COME FROM.

Stalker
Sun, 06-13-2004, 12:03 AM
Well... I'd say the discussion is valid. I mean, I'd personally say that Naruto will be licensed in the near future, considering its success in Japan, and judging from other series AA is / was doing (FMA, for example), they're going to drop it then. Unless you want to wait forever years for the dubbed episodes on TV (which are most likely going to be horribly butchered), you're going to have to switch over to another group then.

I think Shin Otaku is alright - granted, I only watched 86 and 87, but it's not like they were horrible. Yeah, the subs are white, but thanks to the big black border around the letters, they're always pretty readable, even from a distance (when I watch Naruto laying on my bed, I'm like 10 feet away from the monitor). That's not really possible with the AA subs - they're really hard to read from that distance.

Board of Command
Mon, 06-14-2004, 05:09 PM
Shin Otaku is better.

Well actually, the fastest group is the best. Since I go for story instead of quality, the quality doesn't really matter. I'll download the first one released on thursdays.

The translations I don't really care about because none of them are perfect. It's impossible to translate Japanese to English literally because oriental languages just don't work the same way as Latin-based languages. This is not like going from French to English. This is going from a very poetic language to a very technical language. I know this because I'm Chinese and this is obvious to me when I try to translate some things orally.

Although ANBU has great quality and translations, their subs usually come out 2+ days later than the rest, and I don't have the time to wait. Akusei was the first last week, and surprisingly it was GREAT.

jing
Mon, 06-14-2004, 11:11 PM
So if you are watching Naruto for the storyline, then you are probably watching 2 versions of the story...
because at least we know that ANBU translations are 99.99% acurate with the Naruto Manga. And S-O is not.

Assertn
Tue, 06-15-2004, 12:50 AM
[quote]
Originally posted by: BOARD_of_command
Well actually, the fastest group is the best. Since I go for story instead of quality, the quality doesn't really matter. I'll download the first one released on thursdays.

The translations I don't really care about because none of them are perfect. It's impossible to translate Japanese to English literally because oriental languages just don't work the same way as Latin-based languages. This is not like going from French to English. This is going from a very poetic language to a very technical language. I know this because I'm Chinese and this is obvious to me when I try to translate some things orally.

well, if thats the case, then why dont you just dl the manga, and then use that to translate the raws that come out an hour or so after they air in japan on wednesdays?

Board of Command
Tue, 06-15-2004, 12:56 AM
1. I don't like reading manga.
2. It would be ackward considering I'll have to continuously alt-tab between manga and video unless I print it out.

Assertn
Tue, 06-15-2004, 12:58 AM
Because I can't read Japanese.

yeah.....thats.......what the manga is for.......

Board of Command
Tue, 06-15-2004, 01:01 AM
Ok I edited that right after the post because I forgot that the manga is English. I never read the manga, and since one of my friends do, then it's obviously English.

Anyways, slow down of the replies. I'm just here to post my opinion. After all, that's what a poll's for right?

Assertn
Tue, 06-15-2004, 01:05 AM
you just read the chapter first and then watch the raw. The manga's the way to go if you want just the story anyway, since it has none of the filler stuff the anime has.

and this is suitable for this topic, since a topic like "which is better?" is SUPPOSED to evoke a discussion regarding the options i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

Board of Command
Tue, 06-15-2004, 01:17 AM
I like watching the episodes because they have color, animation and sound. I'm not the reading type. I was never into comics, so watching the episodes is a better experience, TO ME that is.

And regarding the qualities, they're both pretty bad. I'm just impatient so I'll take what comes first. If ANBU would release it fast like these groups them I'd get their version without hesitation. I voted SO mainly because the colors in their subs are more vivid in a way. Bakafish's look dull.

jing
Tue, 06-15-2004, 08:02 AM
I like watching the episodes because they have color, animation and sound. I'm not the reading type. I was never into comics, so watching the episodes is a better experience, TO ME that is.

And regarding the qualities, they're both pretty bad. I'm just impatient so I'll take what comes first. If ANBU would release it fast like these groups them I'd get their version without hesitation. I voted SO mainly because the colors in their subs are more vivid in a way. Bakafish's look dull.

But I thought you only want the story, like you said.

Board of Command
Tue, 06-15-2004, 09:02 AM
I want the story in video form. I was referring to Bakafish and SO's subs, and I said I go for story instead of quality, and although their translations might be different, the rough ideas are the same. I have subs from all kinds of groups because I had to download the old episodes (like 1-50) from DC++, and I just went for the fastest download. Those groups' translations are all fairly different, but I understood the main points, so that's what I mean by story. Knowing what's happening. It's the main ideas that make up a story, not grammar.

As a follow-up, i posted this:

Since I care more about the main ideas, the quality is what separates SO from Bakafish. Hope that makes sense to you.

zindryr
Tue, 06-15-2004, 09:58 AM
Alright, anyways, (Bakafish translator), yeah, I'm in Germany until mid August or so, and can't translate, so out of the two, I'd have to say S-O because they can actually sub while we can't for the time being, i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

I replace our versions with A-A anyways. We're just trying to give people a small fix, (like heroin, you know?), before the groups with higher quality come out.

Nara Shikamaru VI
Wed, 06-16-2004, 08:33 AM
i look at the pretty pictures while waiting for AA and Shin Otaku do have pretty pictures.

Zabuza No Jutsu
Wed, 06-16-2004, 08:37 AM
1. I don't like reading manga.
2. It would be ackward considering I'll have to continuously alt-tab between manga and video unless I print it out.

Is it you that's chinese? or was that Assertnfailure...his post quotign you was kinda mixed up lol

Board of Command
Wed, 06-16-2004, 09:40 AM
He quoted me right before I edited my message, so yea it doesn't make much sense anymore.

the_real_apa
Thu, 06-17-2004, 02:34 PM
S-O is way better, i cant stand the bad picture quality in Bakafish

Kidd
Fri, 06-18-2004, 11:03 PM

By the way Cheez, YOU should watch other subs too, so you know that you aren't already confused.(otherwize u'd know that anbu subs are different from S-O). and you need to keep your cool, and stop defending the confused.Normally I prefer not to speak about our subs and what we do on other groups' boards (obvious reasons I'm sure), but when there is confusion I feel like I need to clarify some. You mentioned fixing our past mistakes, and if you check our tracker then you'll see we have put down the eps where we have made mistakes and we're working on getting 81 up (we've been very slow with getting that one up again, but it should be up over the weekend I think). I'm sure the ep you're speaking about where you bash our translations so incredibly much is 81 due to it having 2 pretty major mistranslations, and that episode was taken down within the span of... was it one or actually two days? I think it was one day but I'll give it to you that it might've taken us two days. You make it sound as if it's still up though, and I beg of you that before you say things about anything really - not only the fansub world - you check your facts and sources before you say things.

jing
Fri, 06-18-2004, 11:52 PM
Ok wow, if you looked in the other threads, I actually complimented that you guys are getting better. Maybe you're the one that needs to get updated =P.

Kidd
Fri, 06-18-2004, 11:58 PM
Ok wow, if you looked in the other threads, I actually complimented that you guys are getting better. Maybe you're the one that needs to get updated =P.Point taken, my dear ^_~x