PDA

View Full Version : Guitar Players

FearTheMullet
Tue, 06-01-2004, 07:41 PM
Who here plays guitar? What kind of guitar do you play? Amp? Are you in a band? Who are/is your favorite players/player?

I play guitar, Ibanez RG. On a 30 watt Crate. I'm in a metal band, thats currently trying to get signed. My favorite players are

Joe Satriani for making some of the msot interestig and fun music.
Marty Friedman, they guy has the BEST phrasing. So original, challenging, and great sense of melody.
Jason Becker, at age 19 with ALS he could outplay everybody. He is a God amongst gods.

Swallow Your Soul
Tue, 06-01-2004, 09:15 PM
I kinda play guitar a little bit, but I play bass miles more...

I have a shit acoustic 3/4 size which is what I started out on and a black Les Paul copy by a shit low-quality brand called Vintage. I have a cool metal pedal (the only half-decent piece of equipment I own) for the guitar but since I don't really play my guitar anymore I lent it to a mate who took up guitar a couple of months ago.

My bass is also Vintage (I don't yet have 300+ pounds to spend on a bass yet) and I think it is a four string Fender squier rip off. My amp is just a smallish 80 or 90 pound (I forget the exact price) Marshall amp..dunno much about the specs etc...I know fuck all about stuff like that.

My favourite player is Takeshi Ueda from The Mad Capsule Markets...comes up with some fucking cool bass riffs and pretty much runs the band. If I had a load of money to burn all at once I'd go to Japan and buy the Fender 5 String Takeshi Model Bass http://fenderjapan.co.jp/fender/e_guitar_bass/pb110md4_pb130md5.htm .

2nd favourite is someone whose music I don't really follow anymore, Twiggy Ramirez formerly of Marilyn Manson. I dunno how technically good he is really but he's come up with some well cool riffs, many of which are simple as hell to play yet very catchy (eg Beautiful People). If I had even more money to burn I'd get a white Gibson Thunderbird which Twiggy used quite a bit i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

Joint 3rd favourites are Nicky Wire (bass) and Richey Edwards (guitar) but thats more for their lyrics and personality than their music playing skills (which are apparently not all that great...especially Richey).

John Lowery (formerly of Marilyn Manson as John5) from what little I've heard is an amazing guitar player, unfortunately he couldn't really show that in MM very often as they're not that sort of band...I'm looking forward to his solo work as I've only heard two tracks that were entirely by him and Sugarfoot Rag (or whatever its called) is well ace...

lionheart1012000
Tue, 06-01-2004, 09:52 PM
i play guitar, though im not that good. i have three, a crappy ass 30 dollar acoustic, a double fat strat, and a jay turser les paul styled guitar, i have a cybertwin amp, im not in a band right now but im currently trying to get some friends together for a band, i dont really have a favorite player because i like too many to state, just as examples i guess you could say the guitarist from AFI....and others.

ad4mz41
Wed, 06-02-2004, 12:17 AM
My friend plays guitar... thats as close as i get to playing one. I dont understand anything about them.

Uzumaki Naruto
Wed, 06-02-2004, 12:32 AM
i play the guitar, i have a fender strat and a cross between a epaphone and a gibson both are electric and i have this small little crate amp that is really loud for something so small and on the process of getting a acoustic

favorite players would have to be meallica, zeplin, hendrix, satrioni(sp) and linkin park OoO and the chilli peppers, well not really players but bands and players

Uchiha Barles
Wed, 06-02-2004, 01:38 AM
I play guitar. I'm currently practicing on one of those chody $50 child guitars that they sell at zainy brainy, because I smashed my old one after a bitter break up with my girlfriend (smashed my fist too-yea...I'm a dumbass). It was either the guitar, which was squire strat, or my radio. I picked the one that didn't work couldn't get any distortion using the strat, guessing it was the pickups.

shadowmantis
Wed, 06-02-2004, 04:45 AM
i got some lame spanish acoustic thingie, with one broken string. i can play some silvechair songs, some jeff buckley and nirvanas teen spirit. they all sound weird without distortion.
i worship pete townshend from the who for jumpstarting rock music. also, the other classic rock guys like jimi and page.
of newer guys, satriani of course. every member that's ever been in G3, including dream theaters petrucci, who -i think- is the finest, sharpest, fastest player alive.

KakashiSensei
Wed, 06-02-2004, 10:12 AM
Wicked thread now i can actually participate in a cool thread i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

I own a Fender Statocastor(sp) and a Yamaha Accoustic Guitar. I think every one should learn how to play on an Accoustic b4 they play electric, its sooo much harder to play and then you dont become lazy

shadowmantis
Wed, 06-02-2004, 11:00 AM
do you mean electric is harder to play? i never did, but it looks like the strings are much easier to press

Swallow Your Soul
Wed, 06-02-2004, 12:26 PM
I agree its better to learn on the acoustic. The strings are much harder to press down on the fretboard and its hard (at least it was for me on my crappy childs size acoustic) to press one string down without accidently muting other strings...so as a result, learning how to play Nirvana/Marilyn Manson style songs on an acoustic, then when you feel you are ready to spend a bit more money you get an electric and you find you can do things much easier...I used to have trouble playing bar chords when I first started to move onto them on my electric so i practised on the acoustic to strengthen my left index finger enough to get the chord done, then went back to the electric and found it easy.

Also starting out on an acoustic (though it can be painful) is probably a better way to develop calluses (sp?) on your fret fingers, once you get them it becomes more comfortable to play. When I first started on guitar I borrowed an acoustic/electric guitar and after a while of playing my fingers started to bleed, happened for a while with my bass too but once your fingertips are tough enough it doesn't happen again.

lionheart1012000
Wed, 06-02-2004, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by: shadowmantis
i got some lame spanish acoustic thingie, with one broken string.

its called a "classical" acoustic i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

Darkflare
Wed, 06-02-2004, 05:42 PM
i just started playing guitar about 2 or 3 months ago so im not too good yet. I have a classical La Patrie. pretty good sounding and i must say, those nylon strings are much easier on the fingers than the steel strings. may take longer to build up calluses but it doesnt rip through your fingers.

FearTheMullet
Wed, 06-02-2004, 08:32 PM
Thats cool, never knew there were so many guitarists on this board. I myself started off on a classical guitar except i never learnt calssical songs on it (until now). I jsut went straight fro playing Metallica haha. I must say I ahve improved a bit since then (oh 3 years ago)haha. Any of you eve record a song eh?

lionheart1012000
Wed, 06-02-2004, 09:17 PM
lol, i myself started out on electric, then i got into guitar class over at my school and went to classical acoustic. sadly however i didnt learn jack over there, so i dropped and learned on my own.

Uzumaki Naruto
Thu, 06-03-2004, 12:43 AM
same here, i just wanted to piss of neighbors and bc they do the same to me, but the first song i ever learned was metallica's one still havent learned the whole thing yet this song a a very hard one to learn with all of the solos and shit, but up to date now i know a shitload of linkin park songs, some afi, some alien ant farm, teen spirit and rape me by nirvana and some other songs that i cant remember.

lionheart1012000
Thu, 06-03-2004, 11:22 PM
lol i never really learned an entire song before. but my first, complete, song i ever learend was misfits - this magic moment.

shadowmantis
Fri, 06-04-2004, 02:01 AM
does the guy in your avatar have panties on his head?

Uzumaki Naruto
Fri, 06-04-2004, 03:42 AM
your kidding right, you mean you dont know who that is, you dont watch naruto, well if your being sarcastic lol, if not thats chouji from nartuo, and thats his hidden leaf head band thats around his head

Uchiha Barles
Fri, 06-04-2004, 03:43 AM
Why does it have to look like bloomers huh?

shadowmantis
Fri, 06-04-2004, 04:27 AM
i'm not too familiar with naruto characters, but i knew this guy is one, because of the metal plate on his bandana. plus, on this forum you either have a default avatar, or one from naruto i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif i thought his head gear was funny since it looks like briefs i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

speaking of anime (and guitars).... gravitation anyone? i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

AkimichiChouji
Fri, 06-04-2004, 01:08 PM
lets see...well i dont personally play guitar but my brother does
heres what i know

name - Bryan
age - 16
Band - Fallyway
Style - hardcore/metal/ its hard to explain but sounds awesome...if you've heard of atreyu you'd understand
Guitar - 1 electric (good one forget brand) 2 classic guitars
amps etc - pretty much everything is marshall marshall marshall he won't buy anything else...

www.fallway.com <---their website

If you live in ontario toronto area...take a look at em..they already got a record deal!

lionheart1012000
Fri, 06-04-2004, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by: shadowmantis
i'm not too familiar with naruto characters, but i knew this guy is one, because of the metal plate on his bandana. plus, on this forum you either have a default avatar, or one from naruto i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif i thought his head gear was funny since it looks like briefs i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

speaking of anime (and guitars).... gravitation anyone? i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

lol no but how bout this? http://www.animetabs.vzz.net/index.html good place for anime tabs ^_^ lol. however its thought that the owner, sam, might be dead, so who knows @_@

shadowmantis
Fri, 06-04-2004, 05:38 PM
may your wife be fertile, and your children many. that's the website i needed to see.

lionheart1012000
Sat, 06-05-2004, 12:41 AM
i have no wife and may never have one. i only want one child if i ever do get married. if you request stuff at the forums and nothing gets tabbed...then its either too hard for me to tab or sam really is dead @_@