PDA

View Full Version : gai vs itachi poll

Assertn
Sun, 05-23-2004, 10:35 PM
ok this thing keeps being brought up....and we can argue it all we want, but until something actually happens to directly prove the outcome of such a match, nobody's gonna get anywhere with the debate.....
i've seen people side with both ends of this argument, so i say we just have a poll and end it here

besides.....ive never actually tried setting up a poll before i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

Mut
Sun, 05-23-2004, 10:37 PM
i'm waiting for some dumbass to vote yes.

JusDaMan
Sun, 05-23-2004, 10:39 PM
I AM THE DUMBASS TO VOTE YES! =D

SK
Sun, 05-23-2004, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by: Mut@t@
i'm waiting for some dumbass to vote yes.

hahahaha same here, dont worry the gai fanboys will come, but theres way more itachi fanboys.

frexeze
Sun, 05-23-2004, 10:53 PM
fanboy

sounds like a faggot

orn210
Sun, 05-23-2004, 10:54 PM
i actually don't care about either of those two but i think gai wouldn't stand a chance against itachi

rdkenshin
Sun, 05-23-2004, 11:17 PM
Gai would lose, but the sharingan will do nothing but read his moves. No Mangekyou-ing will happen.

EDIT:

"so i say we just have a poll and end it here"

This wont do anything but show what the majority of people think. Gai would lose though.

Assertn
Sun, 05-23-2004, 11:21 PM
i know that, but we've already discussed the topic, so this is the only other alternative than to just keep discussing it forever until the anime proves otherwise

Y
Sun, 05-23-2004, 11:23 PM
What, you couldn't understand what was being debated in the other topic so you made a stupid strawman poll?

Itachi would most likely beat Gai-sensei's ass. Thing is, he wouldn't do it using the powers of his Sharingan - since that obviously wouldn't work. Which is, of course, what we were supporting, not the idea that Gai is Sannin level.

Assertn
Sun, 05-23-2004, 11:28 PM
um.....maybe it is YOU who is confused.....because i was following the other topic through most of it and most of the discussion revolved around whether or not gai's strategy would give him a chance against itachi

note that i didnt phrase the poll to say "can gai BEAT itachi", i said "could gai stand a chance against itachi".....there IS a difference

viciousHyuuga
Sun, 05-23-2004, 11:57 PM
obcourse he could stand a chance weather he will win or not diff question, i dont think itachi is faster than gai, does anyone even know gais true power? maybe his got weights like rock did vs gaara an if he takes em off sharingan might not be fast enough to see him.. but hey .. id pay good money to watch them full on go @ it

SofaKing
Mon, 05-24-2004, 12:14 AM
Answers to Itachi vs. Gai nonsense:

#1 Taijitsu is strong against a sharingan user

The sharingan's weakness to taijitsu is being vastly overblown. Let's look at what the sharingan can do:

1) see through taijitsu, ninjitsu, and genjitsu
2) copy taijitsu, ninjitsu, and genjitsu
3) play mind games with the opponent

The sharingan still gives an advantage to it's user on all three points. It helps see the enemy's movements
better, can still copy taijitsu techniques (even if it requires the user to already have the speed to perform
them), and (since the user has likely used it to copy ninjitsu before) provides the user with a wide range of
ninjitsu and genjitsu to use. Furthermore, it requires the taijitsu user to not look into the sharingan user's
eyes, which would make it more difficult for them to fight.

#2 Gai is faster than Kakashi

It's only put Gai ahead by 1 match out of 99, sohow much of an advantage is this going to give him against
Itachi? If anything, it says that Gai has to be faster than a sharingan user just to fight evenly. And Itachi is
faster than Kakashi as well. Much faster.

#3 Itachi left when Gai showed up

Itachi works for a secretive organization pursuing some secret goal. Fighting a huge battle with half of the
ninja in the village isn't the best way to keep a low profile. Remember, Gai said that ANBU were coming
as well.

#4 The Lee vs. Sasuke fight shows what Itachi vs. Gai would be like

Sasuke was just plain weaker than Lee at the time. Just one month afterward, though, Sasuke had caught up
in terms of speed.

Point is, we know that Gai is on the same level as Kakashi, who is far weaker than Itachi. Sasuke on the other
hand, was not at the same level as Lee. Lee had been a Gennin about a year longer than Sasuke). There's
no reason to think that the relative difference between Itachi and Gai is the same as that between Sasuke
and Lee, so using the Lee vs. Sasuke fight as a point of reference is absurd.

#5 But Gai can open up all 8 gates. That would give him enough power to beat Itachi.

Lee was faster than Garaa to begin with, and he still couldn't win even with 4 gates open. Eight gates would
be a larger improvement, but whereas Lee had an advantage, Gai would be coming from a disadvantage.

More importantly, primary loutus takes time to power up, and it's kind of obvious when you're doing it. The
effect also doesn't last for long, and you're finished when it's over. This means that one genjitsu from Itachi
(remember, Itachi's genjitsu counter was good enough to fool Kurenai, who is likely much more proficient
with genjitsu than Gai) could stall Gai long enough for the effect to wear off and for him to be finished. Or
Itachi could create shadow clones and hide among them. Or he could use any other of the hundreds of
techniques that he probably knows to buy 30 seconds of time. After that, Gai's finished.

Assertn
Mon, 05-24-2004, 12:23 AM
i'll admit though that its really hard to tell how things would turn out if gates were involved. If lee was up against anybody that didnt have an automatic defense like gaara, then the ura renge wouldve worked.....and i dont know if itachi could fight someone who temporarily reaches the equivalent level of a hokage.

Y
Mon, 05-24-2004, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by: AssertnFailure
um.....maybe it is YOU who is confused.....because i was following the other topic through most of it and most of the discussion revolved around whether or not gai's strategy would give him a chance against itachi

No. Maybe you could, oh, I don't know, read the topic's title? The thread revolves around whether the strategy Gai uses can defeat the Sharingan, which it does. Hence the topic title.

Itachi supporters, as they are wont to do, completely misunderstood the argument and assumed that a challenge on one technique's effectiveness meant that people were saying Gai'd whoop Itachi's ass six ways from Sunday.

i/expressions/rolleye.gif

Assertn
Mon, 05-24-2004, 12:33 AM
::sigh::....to determine whether or not gai's strategy would work would be to first determine if that strategy would give him a chance against itachi....that should in itself sound logically obvious

if you visit the forums enough, you'd know that the topics and their topics' titles differ surprisingly frequently....depending on the direction of the conversation, so don't just sit there like a lamer and start trying to flame people

SofaKing
Mon, 05-24-2004, 12:42 AM
i'll admit though that its really hard to tell how things would turn out if gates were involved. If lee was up against anybody that didnt have an automatic defense like gaara, then the ura renge wouldve worked.....and i dont know if itachi could fight someone who temporarily reaches the equivalent level of a hokage.

Like I said: one genjitsu technique would buy Itachi enough time for Gai to run out of power and die.

Y
Mon, 05-24-2004, 12:59 AM
::sigh::....to determine whether or not gai's strategy would work would be to first determine if that strategy would give him a chance against itachi....that should in itself sound logically obvious

No.

Let me illustrate a point for you here. In Magic: The Gathering there are cards called counterspells that cause the effects of other spells to be instantly negated. Now, if your "logical" deduction was correct, in order for these counters to work, they would have to defeat the opponent's entire repertoire of spells. Of course, this isn't true, because while you may have very effective counters against a few of your opponent's spells, but they can likely overwhelm and defeat you, since your counters don't cover EVERY contingency.

Basically, a strategy, on its own, is not judged on the merit of being solely able to defeat the enemy. A strategy can be 100% successful in defeating the Sharingan and still not do shit against the user. I mean, hell, kids, there's a prime example in Naruto itself. When Kakashi's Sharingan is defeated, he still whoops Zabuza-san's ass.

The Itachi supporters now rebut with their well thought out line "roffles Itachis sharingan iz 100 bazillion times better than kakashi!".

Thereby missing the point: that an opponent can defeat your key techniques and still lose.

Which WAS the whole debate, if not for obfuscating strawmen crap.

if you visit the forums enough, you'd know that the topics and their topics' titles differ surprisingly frequently

And now I have to quote the topic for you. Coupled with the snide "vet" tone, no less.

This thread is suppose to be about Counter the Sharingan.

This is about countering the sharingan.

Not a single post on the first page is related to Gai actually whooping on Itachi. It's all about whether or not Gai's trick works.

I mean, seriously. Did you only read the later comments where the Itachites drag everything down into their "roffles Itachi wins 1billion/10 against the entire cast combined!" If so, sorry, that wasn't the topic.

Terracosmo
Mon, 05-24-2004, 01:06 AM
We got 4 dumbasses at Gotwoot, that's less than expected i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

Kale Ironfist
Mon, 05-24-2004, 02:15 AM

It's only put Gai ahead by 1 match out of 99, sohow much of an advantage is this going to give him against
Itachi? If anything, it says that Gai has to be faster than a sharingan user just to fight evenly. And Itachi is

Actually, out of those 99 fights, more than half of them were rock-paper-scissors.

Mut
Mon, 05-24-2004, 02:35 AM
Originally posted by: Kale Ironfist

Actually, out of those 99 fights, more than half of them were rock-paper-scissors.

yeah, the tooth fairy told you.

Terracosmo
Mon, 05-24-2004, 02:45 AM
This is pointless. It's just the same arguments from the other thread brought over.
And this argument is very stupid.

GAI WOULD GET OWNED BY ITACHI AND HE WOULD NOT STAND A CHANCE EITHER.
Period.