PDA

View Full Version : Taking Screenshots with DivX

Aegis Runestone
Sun, 05-23-2004, 07:12 PM
For some bizarre reason I can't capture a screenshot off a video that's coded with DivX using Paint Shop Pro 7. Very Bizarre, when I save the image, the video is not there or if I move the image, it moves "over" the image. It's hard to explain because I can't make a screenshot of it.... very annoying.

Anyone have any solutions?

complich8
Mon, 05-24-2004, 03:35 AM
windows media player (and I think most other players) use a special layer to render video. When you take a screenshot with printscreen, it calls those pixels that layer, rather than capturing the contents of the layer itself. When you paste into photoshop or paint shop pro or whatever, you get that overlay layer, and if you've got video going behind it you'll probably see it.

There are a couple players with built-in screenshot functionality. I think bsplayer is one of those (can't think of any others offhand). Alternately, find the frame you want in the video file loaded in virtualdub or virtualdubmod, and use its built in "copy source frame to clipboard" feature. Virtualdubmod even has a direct bitmap dump of the frame as an option.

Raven
Mon, 05-24-2004, 05:02 AM
In media player 9, hit ctrl-i and it will ask you where you want to save your screenshot.

Aegis Runestone
Tue, 05-25-2004, 03:24 PM
What about with *.ogm files(which I can't play with Windows Media Player)?

Aegis Runestone
Wed, 06-02-2004, 04:21 PM
I'm sorry. I really need some help here. Bsplayer won't play my .ogm files and I really want to take some screenshots with it. :/ Can someone please help me?

stos289
Wed, 06-02-2004, 06:00 PM
Okay, to play ogm files in Windows Media Player, here's what u got to do. First make sure you have the latest divx, xvid, ffdshow codecs installed. I would give you the links but I have done it so many times that I'm growing lazy (You can find them if you need them anywhere around the support sections of the forums, if you check Kage_Bunshin's sig, he has the link for all of them). Ok now that you've done that its time to install a couple more stuff. First your going to want a codec called OggDS which you can get here (http://tobias.everwicked.com/oggds.htm). This used for playing ogg files which what ogm files really are. Then you are going to want to download VobSub which you can get here (http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/subtitle_tools/vobsub.cfm). I'm not sure what your'e trying to play has an ssa file asscoiated with it (This is for subtitles for ogm file) but its nice to have it anyway. Then after you've done all of that you might have to reboot your computer. Once you've done that, try to play it in Windows Media Player, it should work. If it works, just follow the steps to take a screencap that was listed above. If it doesn't, it could be another problem. If you are having trouble, just post and I'll see if I can help.