PDA

View Full Version : 82 v2 or Re encoded

Mgslee
Tue, 05-18-2004, 01:33 AM
OKay, I understand ep 82 is running a different version of xvid and I have that all working fine. However I'm still wondering if a version 2 of 82 will come out with the normal encode.

The reason I am asking is that I have a lite on DVD player that plays DIVX movies and it wont play ep 82 (havent tried 83 yet). Is there any chance of 82 being re encoded? if not could someone direct me where I could re encode it myself?

Lastly, does anyone know if AA will be sticking to this new encode for future eps / series?

Edit: NM found the older thread...
you guys need to temp sticky common topics cause they just get lost when you lock them...

But could anyone direct me to video encoding tools?

complich8
Tue, 05-18-2004, 03:34 AM
there will be no 82 v2 from us, as we said (and as you indicated you found in your edit). Just to make it clear, I felt like reiterating here.

We'll be ditching the hardware-incompatible option in the future. 82 had some interesting things happen, most of which would have been avoided if it weren't finals week for me that week. I didn't have time to be as thorough as I usually try to be, and nobody was really having an easy time communicating. Nevertheless, the episode came out with pretty acceptable quality and such.

If you want to find the encoding tools to do a reencode to make it compatible with your hardware player, I recommend http://www.doom9.org . They have a downloads section. Xvid can be had by googling "koepi xvid" or divx5 can be found from divx.com, if you prefer (I don't know why you would -- xvid in dx50 compatibility mode does a better job).

Yup. www.doom9.org . Get virtualdub or virtualdubmod, get xvid, learn just a bit about it (enough to reencode stuff that you find needs it to be compatible with your hardware player and be around the filesize you want) and you'll probably be a lot happier.

We're transitioning from one encoder to another through another right now, and it's not just a clean cutover (mostly because of the bad timing of it relative to several of our real lives), so feel free to bitch if 83 and 84 don't work for you, sorry bout the incompatibility of 82 (but tough beans) and remember: software kicks hardware's ass, because it can be updated.

Assertn
Tue, 05-18-2004, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by: complich8
software kicks hardware's ass, because it can be updated.

i'd have to argue that, cause even though it could be updated, that doesnt necessarily mean that it WOULD be updated.....while hardware on the other hand is something that you'd be guaranteed to update in the future

well.....at least for those of us who like working with custom pcs i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

complich8
Wed, 05-19-2004, 12:41 AM
well, in the case of "ways to decode things" at least :-p.

Cyan
Thu, 05-20-2004, 10:14 AM
You can re-encode with Dr. Divx really easy, I use it for all the anime episodes my computers codecs have problems with. It's easy to use and you don't have to learn a thing i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

www.divx.com