PDA

View Full Version : Question about Sannin

gokudagreat
Sun, 05-16-2004, 04:40 PM
Jiraiya, Orochimaru, and Tsunade are the 3 Sannin, so does that mean they were once a group that fought together... or were they just given that title cause they trained under the 3rd and are super powerful, or did the 3rd give them that title cause he trained them...?

On a side note: People need to stop getting mad at those who ask wether it is Sannin or Sennin, ive seen countless people break Sannin down into San meaning 3 and Nin meaning ninja, that is not true, while San does stand for 3 Nin is just a numeric that is used when counting people, its not the same as Hunter-Nin which in that case does stand for ninja, so please stop

logic
Sun, 05-16-2004, 04:42 PM
Sannin and sennin are both terms.

Please stop..

gokudagreat
Sun, 05-16-2004, 04:44 PM
No thats not the point, in the anime the correct term for the 3 was Sannin, but some people thought Sennin cause Naruto called Jiraiya Ero-Sennin, but that means perverted hermit, a totally different thing

anyways, you didnt really answer my question

SilentSnake
Sun, 05-16-2004, 04:47 PM
they were given that title cause they were in 1 team trained by Sandaime and are super powerful.

i thought sannin DOES mean 3 ninjas and after all it makes sense, after all we can hear things like "one of the sannin" which meaning "one of the three ninjas" makes too much sense to be ignored...

but then, why would they be named sannin while every 3-man team could be named "sannin" i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif
or sannin doesn't mean three ninjas or they were given that title cuz they are powerful enough to be called REAL ninjas

Souryusen
Sun, 05-16-2004, 04:49 PM
Hmm.. to my knowledge the anime hasn't stated specifically how they came to be known as the sannin. This question might be better answered in the Naruto Open Discussion forum since I'm not sure if there are any definitive answers from the anime just yet.

Gods_Son
Sun, 05-16-2004, 04:56 PM
Sannin means three ninja, and Sennin are legendary ninja. Jiraiya, Orochimaru, and Tsunade fit into both categories, the legendary three ninja. It's not really supposed to be explained, just something you put together.

gokudagreat
Sun, 05-16-2004, 05:25 PM
okay, its just that i was watching prince of tennis and they called a group of three tennis players "sannin" then i looked it up and i found out that "nin" is just a numeric used when counting people

PSJ
Sun, 05-16-2004, 05:42 PM
yes that is true but no one says its absolutely forbidden to use it as ninjas. in the case of the sannin in naruto nin means ninjas. altho you used a wrong term in your first post. you cant say 3 sannin becuase then you are saying 3 3 ninjas. thats the most common mistake poeple do.

jonny-mt
Mon, 05-17-2004, 12:49 AM
gokudagreat-

The term 'sannin' is a play on words. You are correct that 'nin' is a counter for people, and so 'sannin' can mean 'three people'. However, in Japanese the meaning of a word is dictated by the characters used to write it...it's pretty useful because if you're ever confused by a homonym, the characters will clear all that up. Since these Japanese characters, called 'kanji', represent both a meaning and a phonetic reading, there can be no mistaking the meaning of a word even if the reading is the same.

In the Naruto manga, then, whenever they refer to the 'Sannin', they replace the 'people' character with the first character in the word 'ninja', which is also read 'nin'. Now, I understand this is a little difficult to understand if you're not familiar with kanji, so I went ahead and made a little image to refer to. Incidentally, if any one else ever needs to settle this again, feel free to download this image to your own server.

http://home.uchicago.edu/~jtapp/sannin.gif

Hope that clears things up! Let us know if you have any more questions.

Mongoose
Mon, 05-17-2004, 01:54 AM
So sannin in this case is san-nin, three-ninjas? Neat. In any case, that's defininitely different from sennin, which means hermit. Ero is erotic or perverted, so ero-sennin is (surprise) perverted hermit.

Nine Tailed Demon
Mon, 05-17-2004, 05:57 AM
Just a name the people gave them, like a good basketball player around your block might be called "The great one".

SK
Mon, 05-17-2004, 03:06 PM
it makes sense, they were named the Sannin, because they were the three genius ninjas. i dont think they can call just any 3 man team Sannin, because i think of it like meaning THE Three Ninja. so i dont think they would refer to any 3 man nin team like that.

Gobd
Mon, 05-17-2004, 08:33 PM
It's my opinion that they were given the title because a great teacher produces great students (as said by Jiraiya in the anime). The 3rd was the greatest teacher for them to have at the time. Of course that's not the only reason, they obviously had lots of skill to be training but they were all geniuses in thier own ways. They all had drive too, they wanted to become better so they took the time to do so. I think that they wanted to become better because they saw what they could become (the 3rd) with training. A great teacher really does make all the difference. They did fight together, you have to go through all those missions before the chuunin exam then the chuunin exam together so I'm guessing that all three of them also excelled in those test a lot.

This is just my opinion, feel free to add whatever you think.

Stoopider
Mon, 05-17-2004, 11:51 PM
Although this was never in the manga but my own personal opinion, but me thinks they've done something great together. Thats why their called the Sannin. Also, it could be part of the fact that it was the 3rd who trained them.

This is still a very gray area. Not enough info on the three of them as it is, even in the manga.

Assertn
Tue, 05-18-2004, 02:32 AM
interesting how ALL 3 of them would be considered legendary, if the team system is supposed to be evenly distributed

Mut
Tue, 05-18-2004, 02:38 AM
i think they are called the legendary sannins cuz they were all super talented. i don't think they did anything spectacular.

Kale Ironfist
Tue, 05-18-2004, 02:53 AM
they were evenly distributed AssetnFailure.
Jiraiya was the blockhead dropout guy
Tsunade was the 'average'
Orochimaru was 'the elite' guy

they were just trained extremely well

Mut
Tue, 05-18-2004, 03:09 AM
Originally posted by: Kale Ironfist
they were evenly distributed AssetnFailure.
Jiraiya was the blockhead dropout guy
Tsunade was the 'average'
Orochimaru was 'the elite' guy

they were just trained extremely well

really. it's pretty interesting you have so much on tsunade yet, we've only seen her do... NOTHING??? and i mean that "nothing" as in we haven't seen her enough to make conclusions...

Stoopider
Tue, 05-18-2004, 05:20 AM
Careful!! We are in the 'Naruto' Forum. Becareful not to spoil.