PDA

View Full Version : is it slow?

foxgod
Sun, 05-09-2004, 07:25 PM
I was browsing around and noticed someone mention that they could get an episode within 25 minutes using bt.. mine usually takes a day or more.
With direct downloads, I can get about more than 100KiB/s. With bittorent my download rate, which is usually about half as small, or smaller, than my upload rate, is usually about 5KiB/s, though it various from 1 to 13 (rarely about thirteen). right now it's being Very good at 9 KiB/s each.. but now it's 6, 10 ... 6, 9... 7, 12... .... 2, 8. 3, 7.. 1, 11.This is with a direct download at 101 Ki/bs but other than the upload rate being less than usual, this isn't a very unusual site.
I have cable connection, but it's also goes through something else to my dad's work (long story. needed to get files). But school's out, so that shouldn't be effecting it much.

Thanks.

SK
Tue, 05-11-2004, 11:55 PM
im not sure sometimes its faster than other times. like i can download an ep at 25-30 minutes when they first come out, but older eps usually take me a few hours. i think its because of less seeds or peers. if not many people are keeping their downloads open then it goes slower unfortunately.

Bakka
Wed, 05-12-2004, 06:14 AM
foxgod, what bittorrent client are you using??? Also, are you behind a firewall??

And last thing, is your upload set to 80% of your max total possible upload speed?

Say you max upload is 40 kb/s(like mine), I set my client to only upload at 30-35 kb/s. If I set it any higher, i notice a downfall in my DL because my bandwidth is being throttled by my upload.

Next, If your behind a firewall, you need to forward your ports on the firewall to your computer's IP. If your behind a firewall, let me know which client you are using for BT and i'll see if i can help ya with that

stos289
Thu, 05-13-2004, 06:02 PM
In case you don't know, the ports you need to foward in your firewall are ports 6881-6999. By forwarding these ports, you can greatly increase the speed of your upload and download. My download speed went from like 50 to 200 by doing this. Also make sure you are using the origanl bittorent client, I would not use the experimental clients. They can have certain bugs that interfere with your download. If you have any other questions, just post and I'll try to help.