PDA

View Full Version : Music: METAL!!! \m/

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Terracosmo
Sun, 05-09-2004, 06:48 PM
Okay, time for a Gotwood metal-head roll call! Everybody post their favorite bands, metal styles, concerts... whatever... get the ball rolling and stay freakin' metal!

Destiny
Sun, 05-09-2004, 07:18 PM
Metal rulez. I listen to Disturbed, Drowning Pool, 8 Foot Sativa, Rammstein, Korn, Rob Zombie, the list goes on...
But my fav would probly b Disturbed

SK
Sun, 05-09-2004, 07:28 PM
ewwwwwwww, i prefer hip-hop, but it is fun watching those guys make fools of themselves and beat each other up.
to post below:well i didnt really say anything bad about metal, other than ew, but tahts the first time iver heard hip hop called pansy music. i guess people can relate to different types of music.

Destiny
Sun, 05-09-2004, 07:47 PM
Argh, i personally think hip-hop is pansy music lol, no offense, everyone has their own preferences. But you never get the same vibe Metal tracks hav to offer

hiddenpookie
Sun, 05-09-2004, 08:21 PM
can u dance to rock no? can u dance it hip-hop yes.

Destiny
Sun, 05-09-2004, 08:25 PM
Dance to techno/trance. Anyway, who needs to dance when u can just go mental with metal

KakashiSensei
Sun, 05-09-2004, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by: hiddenpookie
can u dance to rock no? can u dance it hip-hop yes.

Umm correct me if i'm wrong but didn't Terra say this was a Heavy metal Thread not a "I dont like metal, give me Dance music thread" So if you dont have anything to say about Metal music then dont post it.

As for me, I love Distrubed, Metallica, Drowning Pool, Hatebreed, the list goes on and on.

Uzumaki Naruto
Mon, 05-10-2004, 12:19 AM
tru metal band is metallica, then black sabath. but my all time favorites are metallica, ozzy, and disturbed

btw nice sig destiny

shadowmantis
Mon, 05-10-2004, 03:01 AM
probably the most retarded thread, but whatever i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif
i like goth rock, which could be, in a way, classified as metal. nightwish, after forever, stuff like that. also, prog metal like tool and stuff. i like classic rock the most, the who and jimi.

'can you dance to hiphop'? maybe. you sure can dance to hip pop, though. 50 cent is not (read: NOT) hiphop. him, eminem, ja rule (recent crap), nelly, all those idiots, are backstreet boys with gold chains and a curses.

if you like 'hiphop', i suggest you check out groups like jedi mind tricks, binary star, outerspace, talib kweli (his stuff with hi tek), and ye olde gangstarr and wu tang.
just say no to mtv, you just might avoid going to hell i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

Destiny
Mon, 05-10-2004, 04:52 AM
lol i dont understand how this thread is even the slightest bit retarded. I get your point about hip-hop though.
I'm not sure if it fits in the same catagory (probly more rock than metal), but my all time favourite band Linkin Park is definately worth mentioning. Their tracks are just awsome and their live performances are even better.

btw: cheers Uzumaki i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

shadowmantis
Mon, 05-10-2004, 07:42 AM
linkin park live performances? hehe.. i respect your taste and likings, but you've got a lot to see and learn i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif compared to some bands, LP looks like n'sync onstage. hmm.. dream theater and opeth, anyone?

by retarded i half-jokingly meant the spirit of the thread, 'WOOHOO YEAH ROCK!!!", regular teen stuff i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif it's just how it struck me when i first read it.

Terracosmo
Mon, 05-10-2004, 09:56 AM
Get the fucking hip-hop crap out of my metal thread you fags!
Only metal-heads need apply here, the rest of you can create a thread of your own; especially with an argument like 'you can dance to hip-hop'. Well, can you headbang to hip-hop? It's just as stupid to say. In any case, get out.

I'm not much for nu metal (Linkin Park, Korn) whatever... I prefer power/symphonic & melodic death, but I guess only people who read about metal knows what I'm talking about.

PLasK
Mon, 05-10-2004, 12:17 PM
In Flames 4 life clayman rulse it all, everything before clayman is super alsow. cob follow the reaper and somthing wild are number 2... other wise i just started listning to Devildriver, good alsow... \m/Ò_ó\m/ o saw in flames in stockholm the best anyhow... later...

Rek
Mon, 05-10-2004, 01:25 PM
yeah Terra... I know what your talkin about... I'm having a local cd converted to mp3... I'll send you some, to see how ya like it if you want.

I'm more of a Metal Core kinda guy... but death metal is good for waking up.

AFI (sue me... they were great in concert)
Atreyu (really nice, try "A vampires Lament")
As I lay Dying
The Agony Scene
AgnostiA... they are local, but totally awesome.. I think the lead singer moved to atlanta to start a band there, anyone in that area... I can get more information on request.

Other local bands... but I won't waste post space.

I was more into death metal.. but that just gets repetitive after a while...
Cradle of Filth's heavier stuff, but I don't really get into the trippy stuff

Now, about your fucking hip hop. Its nothing. Everything has been taken from old songs, most of which, old rock songs. Old rock has evolved from what it was to pretty much different forms of metal. Punk is dead (if you don't believe me turn on mtv) So the "mad beats" you "sick gangsters" play, are just remixes on the stuff that your parents listen to.

Basically I'm saying there's no innovation, there's just gangsta rap, and there's Hip Hop/r and B...
Old Rock has turned out Punk, Emo, Grindcore, Metal (black, speed, death, Nu) Goth rock, and many others. Hell.. there's even gospel rock... but I won't touch that with a 20 foot pole.

Edit: btw anyone who listens to bands Distrubed, Metallica, Drowning Pool, Linkin Park, Korn, Saliva, slipknots ok, but you can do better) and that one band who did that one thing where that guy screamed once...
Don't be lazy asses. Find better music, maybe look under a few rocks to see if there's a music scene near you (I live in pensacola and there's a nice scene here)
If not, just hop on the "inter-net" and look up some good stuff, because although your up to a decent start, that stuff is no where near the music you can find.

r3n
Mon, 05-10-2004, 01:43 PM
sharingan kakashi, i dont mind hiphop like beastie boys etc, but when its gansta rap its jst utter bullshit. dont see how any1 can find that good. these gun-totting hip' gangster wannabes can jst go die.

neway back to metal;

fav bands are:
Tool (not really that heavy but still metal none the less)
nine inch nails (industrial metal)
inflames
opeth
arch enemy
soulfly

im more of an emo&rock man now. and i try to stay away from metal concerts i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif too hardcore for little ol' me. btw konoha rek, AFI are punk not metal.

saw a perfect circle in concert a while back, they have the singer from tool, and are damn good. not really metal tho i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

this nu metal stuff like korn and linkin park is catchy but i really wouldnt class it as "metal". where are the heavy riffs?

SK
Mon, 05-10-2004, 03:17 PM
lol idiotic statements you obviously dont understand the struggle.
more importantly:can you get a girl at a metal concert? NO, can you get a girl at a hip hop concert HELL YEAH, some good looking honeys too.

Gods_Son
Mon, 05-10-2004, 03:44 PM
Even after becoming rich and succesful, they still rap as though they're in "the struggle." I live in one of the most rundown places in the U.S, I understand it better than most of them claim to. Anyways, this isn't a hip-hop thread, so don't bring it up again. As for metal, I like Metallica, Slayer, and System of a Down. I hate most rap-rock groups like Korn, Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park, etc, but I don't mind the genres seperately.

r3n
Tue, 05-11-2004, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by: -Sharingan-Kakashi-
lol idiotic statements you obviously dont understand the struggle.
more importantly:can you get a girl at a metal concert? NO, can you get a girl at a hip hop concert HELL YEAH, some good looking honeys too.

yeah u can get a girl at a metal concert, jst she'll be wearing black makeup etc i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif lol

neway personally i dont go to concerts and gigs to pick up chicks. i go for the music i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif if i wanted to go out on the pull id go clubbing or something equally lame.

and there is no "struggle" with these millionaire rappers. if they cared about the "struggle" of the poor negro population of america they would set up a charity or donate some of their earnings back to the community theyre rapping about. do they? no. cos they dont give a fuck about the poor and needy lol. kinda obvious i wudda thought. guess some ppl need it spelt out for them

Rek
Tue, 05-11-2004, 04:58 PM
Chicks... oh hell yeah...
I've picked up a couple... its especially easy if your in a band.

R3n- your right about AFI, and I don't even like to advertise I like them (hence the sue me comment) but I saw them live, and wanted to comment on there...
and linkin park, koRn, and who ever else is "hip" these days classify themselves as nu metal, and I would take them anyday over Criss Cross or Jazzy Jeff...

and what are yall talkin about... most rappers have trouble reading on the 6th grade level, and they hafta write words that ACTUALLY RHYME (usually) they have "the struggle" all the effin time ...yo

Destiny
Tue, 05-11-2004, 05:06 PM
I spose Linkin Park is on a completely different level, most likely wouldnt even be classified as metal. I just mentioned them cos they're great, in my opinion anyway, but i hav reasons.
Sounds like some people listen to sum pretty rough shit. Maybe someone could recommend a track i could download so i know from what level you're talking about. I personally think 8 Foot Sativa is as far as my tastes get, but i dunno, suprize me.

Swallow Your Soul
Tue, 05-11-2004, 05:16 PM
Edit - looking at this post I made only a year ago makes me want to kill myself i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

Removed

Rek
Tue, 05-11-2004, 08:52 PM
Dir En Grey... I forgot all about them... how are they? I was meaning to get my hands on some.. but other things came up.
Kittie owns... for a girl [band]
Murder Dolls were cool for awhile, again, another band I never really kept up with...

Seems like you got a nice selection there. I like it atleast.

Destiny- You should prolly try slipknot, and murderdolls. Deicide and Cannibal Corpse are fun too.
It seems as if you like the heaviest shit you can find now, and let me tell you the above mentioned will make you happy. Again this is a guess, and Deicide and Cannibal Corpse are ..a little risque, so if there is a church within 5 miles of your speakers, you might wanna not listen to them.

Other stuff you might wanna try is Otep, Meshuggah, and... I'm not sure, and I don't endorse this myself, but maybe try mudvayne? Kinda sounds like your style... but don't quote me on that one.

Destiny
Tue, 05-11-2004, 09:40 PM
I've had a Slipknot album for a while now, only liked a few of their songs. I've also already heard some of Murderdolls, they're pretty good but i nevr kept up with them either.
I never really liked Mudvayne, but i'll try listening to Diecide and Cannibal Corpse.

ComeComeParadise
Tue, 05-11-2004, 11:37 PM
Children of Bodom. Slayer. Emperor. And of course, Opeth, but we've already covered that base.

shadowmantis
Wed, 05-12-2004, 12:30 AM
these gun-totting hip' gangster wannabes can jst go die.
oh man, quoting tool is like being a narutard of the music world i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

afi is alright, but im just not into punk :/ and their singers voice is more annoying than 50 cent's

Maybe someone could recommend a track i could download so i know from what level you're talking about.
after forever - my pledge of allegiance
dream theater - season of change
ambeon - cold metal
nightwish - astral romance and everdream

Swallow Your Soul
Wed, 05-12-2004, 09:04 AM
Edit - *ugh, for fucks sake!*

Stoopider
Wed, 05-12-2004, 10:46 AM
LP is good. Like them very much. Really fun to listen when driving on highways feel like pressing the peddle to the max. Been to their concert here in Kuala Lumpur. Was a real fun time. Lots of girls fainted during the concert. The heat and humidity here was a real killer. During the concert, the riot police on the towers shot down high pressured water into the sky to rain down on us because it was getting too hot, lucky i'm tall enough to breath fresh air. My friend had to pull his friend up and I elbowed a idiot in the face for jumping at me. He was pretty pissed, he walked away.

I have a problem with Metal, they give me headaches. And most of them are too trashy to be enjoyed.

Terracosmo
Wed, 05-12-2004, 10:53 AM
I am going to say this one more time, all you people trying to pull in rap/hip-hop in this thread; get the HELL out. The next person who starts to discuss that in this thread will be banned. Yes, banned. This annoys me to no end and it is so incredibly fucking immature & discriminating to just step up here and scream 'OMG METAL SUXX0R' because we love it and you can go to hell. Basically. So once again: DON'T DISCUSS RAP IN HERE OR YOU WILL FACE THE CONSEQUENCES.

*Cough*

Anyway, guess it's time for me to tell y'all about my favorite bands. I'm mostly into power metal, symphonic influences is a plus. My very favorite band is Nightwish, and along with Nightwish I really love Children of Bodom and similar bands such as Norther. I also love more "true" power metal bands such as Kamelot, Stratovarius... I'm a big fan of folk metal too, I warmly recommend bands like Mago de Oz & Elvenking. But man, there's just so much I love out there that it will take years to write down all. It's easier to say what I don't like. I'm not a big fan of progressive metal, bands like Dream Theater just sounds boring IMO; I hate prog drums. I also dislike most black metal though there are exceptions. Extreme death is not for me either, it has to be melodic such as (old) In Flames. And as stated earlier I really dislike nu metal because it sounds so bloody commercial, I think it's possible to hear that it was invented to sell... it has no soul IMO. And no solos!!! *Pukes*. But other than that I have to say I agree with Konoha Rek. Don't be lazy. Get out on the internet and search. Don't call yourself a metal-head if your only merits are Metallica & Slipknot. Did I BTW mention that Metallica sucks nowadays? It's a shame really.

r3n
Wed, 05-12-2004, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by: shadowmantis

oh man, quoting tool is like being a narutard of the music world i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

tool are amazing tho. and i love aenema, such a great song, so ill quote it if i want i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif didnt actually think ne1 wud pick up on that tho i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

Stoopider
Wed, 05-12-2004, 01:53 PM
Is System Of A Down considered Rock or Metal? I think their my favorite band. Nowadays bands are very inter-related to each other.

Legendary Nin
Wed, 05-12-2004, 03:31 PM
I know this isn't a metal band,but it is metal,so it does suit the topic.These guys have made metal covers of the Metroid songs,it sounds pretty imo.Just thought I'd post it,I think the whole concept is pretty wicked,and I feel they've done a pretty good job covering the songs.

http://www.metroidmetal.com/songs.html

Just give it a listen,you probably won't regret it.

Rek
Wed, 05-12-2004, 06:49 PM
btw... you can just call me rek... I added the konoha think cuz Rek didn't fit.. but r3n is 3 letters, so maybe I'm just incompetent

Destiny
Wed, 05-12-2004, 09:43 PM
Well, i downloaded a few tracks that some of u recommended...

- Cannibal Corpse: Constantly hard out stuff... Not much room to enjoy the sounds, more like listen and go mental with it. Same reason why i only like a few Slipknot tracks. I prefer 8 Foot Sativa over these
- Deicide: Same as the above. Hehe, i'll keep the tracks incase i may grow into them later.
- Dream Theatre: Not really a metal track, more like rock. At first i thought it was bad, but i grew to like it during the last half of the track.
- Nightwish: Again, not much of a metal track, i didnt really like this one. I think the vocals killed the songs.

Uzumaki Naruto
Wed, 05-12-2004, 10:00 PM
another band i like is slipknot, fav songs are wait and bleed, left behind, and my plague

hiddenpookie
Wed, 05-12-2004, 10:16 PM
Metallica good very good.
ICP and slipknot is garbage
people if u want to listen to rick punk listen to THE Adicts! well anyway.
metallica is like the best rock it out in ur mind music ever.

Uzumaki Naruto
Wed, 05-12-2004, 10:27 PM
yes metallica is good, no doubt about it what are u r fav songs from them, mine are One best song of all time, fade to black, enter sandman, where ever i may roam, and list goes on these are the only ones i can name at the time

r3n
Thu, 05-13-2004, 04:58 AM
old metallica stuff is excellent, ride the lightning etc.

after that it was still good but recently its been crap

Rek
Thu, 05-13-2004, 06:04 AM
Originally posted by: Destiny
Well, i downloaded a few tracks that some of u recommended...

- Cannibal Corpse: Constantly hard out stuff... Not much room to enjoy the sounds, more like listen and go mental with it. Same reason why i only like a few Slipknot tracks. I prefer 8 Foot Sativa over these
- Deicide: Same as the above. Hehe, i'll keep the tracks incase i may grow into them later.
- Dream Theatre: Not really a metal track, more like rock. At first i thought it was bad, but i grew to like it during the last half of the track.
- Nightwish: Again, not much of a metal track, i didnt really like this one. I think the vocals killed the songs.

hm.. you may like stone sour then.... its basically the lead singer of slipknots other band, when he's not screaming his throat to shreds.

Destiny
Thu, 05-13-2004, 06:06 AM
mhmm... i'll look into this one as well

shadowmantis
Thu, 05-13-2004, 07:05 AM
i KNOW you did not type that i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif that was one long typo, wasn't it?

Destiny
Thu, 05-13-2004, 07:11 AM
hmmm... nope. Dream Theatre is ok, i might download more of their stuff later on.
When i listened to the first several seconds of Nightwish, i thought this was going to be sumthing i would really like, but then came the vocals lol. Honestly, i couldnt distinguish whether the vocalist was a woman with a manly voice or a man with a womanly voice; i couldnt really listen to the rest of the track after halfway. I'm not saying it's bad, i'd understand why people would enjoy listening to this. I probly just need more time to grow into these songs

Cal_kashi
Thu, 05-13-2004, 07:33 AM
Dont care too much for Metal but I REALLY like Atreyu, i even listen to them when i race, in fact i got to see them and God Forbid play this summer, that was awesome

shadowmantis
Thu, 05-13-2004, 07:52 AM
that's the thing, this music isn't something you start bobbing head to the moment you hear it. it grows on you, if you let it. i suggest you keep listening every now and then, you'll find a few songs that you like, and it'll grow from there.

unlike, let's say, linkin park. where you hear a song and lose your mind for about 2 weeks. then it gets boring i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

...FINE, FINE, I USED TO LIKE THEM *blushes*

Destiny
Thu, 05-13-2004, 04:17 PM
Well, ive grown to like Dream Theatre. I just woke up, and the first thing i put on was Season of Change. Nightwish has a ways to go
EDIT: Forever curse the day i get bored of Linkin Park

shadowmantis
Thu, 05-13-2004, 04:44 PM
'as i am', 'metropolis' and 'glass prison' are also nice songs. get 'erotomania' if you want mind boggling guitar shredding. think f-zero OST. and if you ever feel like melting into your chair, listen to 'lost without you'. if i could, i would marry john petrucci, only for that song.

Destiny
Thu, 05-13-2004, 05:55 PM
i just downloaded 'metropolis' and 'lost without u'. Metropolis i didnt really like that much, and i noticed 'lost without u' is one of those songs would drift you into another place; i like songs like these but this one didnt cut it as much as others i've heard. I still prefer Season of Change over these 2, but again, they i probly need to grow into them.

Noir
Thu, 05-13-2004, 11:55 PM
Fave bands:

All time is tied between Metallica & In Flames, others that are definately worth a shout:

Children of Bodom
Blind Guardian
Soilwork
Arch Enemy
Slayer
Megadeth
Nightwish
Tower
Vader
Acid Drinker (haha yes! Comical metal rules!)
Anthrax
Pantera (when Phil used to sing instead of assault everyone verbally lol)

The list goes on but I'll stop there.

Best concert: May 3rd 2004: As I Lay Dying, Killswitch Engage, & In Flames

Amazing concert, and I somehow survived. Also met/got signatures/got pics with: Jesper and Peter from In Flames!

Play guitar, 2 years, in band: http://morbidtheory.com

Note: if you try to preview clips from our last demo tis all good, but you may need to stop and press play again, why cause something messed up, and us being busy with gigs we don't feel like fixing it yet lol.

Terracosmo
Fri, 05-14-2004, 12:03 AM
Honestly Destiny, no offense, but a person who says "Curse the day when I get bored of Linkin Park" has no right to call Dream Theater "rock". While I am desperately trying to accept that you call beautiful Tarja's voice "manly" (Nightwish's vocalist), since it's a matter of opinion, Dream Theater's genre is not. I am not a big fan of DT, but they are basically the fathers of Progressive Metal. Nowhere near rock at all. And you should try some of Nightwish's newer stuff, especially the newest album Once (coming out in June); much better than the old stuff.

Destiny
Fri, 05-14-2004, 12:07 AM
None taken, everyone has thir own tastes in music. I mainly like LP cos me and my best mate relates to them a lot.

Uzumaki Naruto
Fri, 05-14-2004, 12:29 AM
only reason i like lp is the way they are, and the way they play, eveytime i hear there song i wuold sit with my guitar and just play along with them

shadowmantis
Fri, 05-14-2004, 02:20 AM
lol, i don't mean to stir shit up, but did anyone notice that this post is dripping with hypocrisy?

I am going to say this one more time, all you people trying to pull in rap/hip-hop in this thread; get the HELL out. The next person who starts to discuss that in this thread will be banned. Yes, banned. This annoys me to no end and it is so incredibly fucking immature & discriminating to just step up here and scream 'OMG METAL SUXX0R' because we love it and you can go to hell.

eveytime i hear there song i wuold sit with my guitar and just play along with them
lol, you strum 3 open strings like them? i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif listen to some jeff buckley for magical guitarness

yeah, i can't get over the fact that you dissed nightwish for bad vocals! IT'S EATING ME APART!!! anyway, if you really appreciate vocals more than the overal feeling and energy of the song, boot up kazza and type:

ambeon - cold metal
after forever - emphasis
the gathering - in motion #1

and a nice transition from linkin park to the metal music would be lacuna coil. i suggest you check 'senzafine' by them, since is the poppiest song they have. i'm sure you'll like them.

anyone like my ruin?

Destiny
Fri, 05-14-2004, 08:06 AM
not that i hate the songs, but the vocals are sumwhat distracting. Sorry if it offended u in any way, but thats just how i feel atm. I still hav to grow into them, so im not jumping to conclusions just yet...
I dunno, im drunk atm (my mate is passed out beside me), so i wont say much to make myself look like a fool...

Iznogoud
Fri, 05-14-2004, 02:41 PM
METAL RULES THE WORLD...
DIMMU BORGIR ^^

edit: btw there's a fest near the place i live...
Alice cooper
Iced Earth
Cradle of filth
Judas Priest
Motorhead
Dimmu borgir
Soulfly
and much more(anthrax too ^^ )

Raven
Fri, 05-14-2004, 07:14 PM
Heavenly, dammit! HEAVENLY! If you get the chance, listen to Heavenly's new album "... Dust to Dust". It's got to be one of my all-time greatest musical experiences.

But nobody's ever heard of them! That I've talked to anyway.

Terracosmo
Fri, 05-14-2004, 09:47 PM
@shadowmantis: Yes, it does seem you are the only one who finds that response dripping with "hypocrisy". Would you care to elaborate this extremely perceptive opinion of yours?

Raven, I will try Heavenly. But only because it's you. :D

Rek
Sat, 05-15-2004, 01:55 AM
word on that before anything breaks out..

There is a MAJOR difference between two metal heads debating whether or not screaches or growls are better, or a rap-loving asshole and a clad in black, decent taste in music mother fucker arguing over genres....

So, remember, you may not linkin park, but at least it's a mite better than Queen Latifa. Now, friendly arguments, opinions, and jesting at certain bands is totally different than bashing the whole genre. So, please lets not blow this out of proportion.

Now, about playing guitar with lp... thats just fucktarded. ^.^

shadowmantis
Sat, 05-15-2004, 02:15 AM
Originally posted by: Terracosmo
@shadowmantis: Yes, it does seem you are the only one who finds that response dripping with "hypocrisy". Would you care to elaborate this extremely perceptive opinion of yours?
why, of course. you tell them it's immature & discriminating to say metal sucks, but you keep running your mouth on how rap is bad, and that they should go to hell. which is immature & discriminating.

Uzumaki Naruto
Sat, 05-15-2004, 03:06 AM
Originally posted by: Konoha Rek
word on that before anything breaks out..

There is a MAJOR difference between two metal heads debating whether or not screaches or growls are better, or a rap-loving asshole and a clad in black, decent taste in music mother fucker arguing over genres....

So, remember, you may not linkin park, but at least it's a mite better than Queen Latifa. Now, friendly arguments, opinions, and jesting at certain bands is totally different than bashing the whole genre. So, please lets not blow this out of proportion.

i didnt i mean that i was actually fukin playing along with them, im just doing bc i want to learn there dam songs, bc i listen to shit and figure out who to play it ear so back the fuck off

Destiny
Sat, 05-15-2004, 06:13 AM
Dude, whats yer problem? Take it easy

Terracosmo
Sat, 05-15-2004, 08:49 AM

why, of course. you tell them it's immature & discriminating to say metal sucks, but you keep running your mouth on how rap is bad, and that they should go to hell. which is immature & discriminating.

Read my posts better before you start acting wise. I never said rap was bad. I did a comparison to what that Kakashi guy did (I think it was him), and saying "Go to hell" & "Rap-fags" respectively is purely an act of the same medicine and anger; not immaturity. And neither did I say that it's immature to think metal sucks, I think it's immature to do so IN A METAL THREAD WHERE PEOPLE WHO ACTUALLY LIKE THE MUSIC ARE SUPPOSED TO BE.

itachi_
Sat, 05-15-2004, 08:50 AM
Terracosmo has sent me so much music, Nightwish, Stratovarius, Children of bodom are the best

SK
Sat, 05-15-2004, 09:16 AM

Read my posts better before you start acting wise. I never said rap was bad. I did a comparison to what that Kakashi guy did (I think it was him), and saying "Go to hell" & "Rap-fags" respectively is purely an act of the same medicine and anger; not immaturity. And neither did I say that it's immature to think metal sucks, I think it's immature to do so IN A METAL THREAD WHERE PEOPLE WHO ACTUALLY LIKE THE MUSIC ARE SUPPOSED TO BE.

lol do you know how to read? if you go back and read my posts the worst thing i said about metal was 'ewww' and that only ugly chicks go to metal concerts, it isnt my fault that the other hip hop fans decided to defend their music too. i never once said the kind of idiotic statements you said, like go to hell, fags, calling hip hop crap, and threatening to ban people for not liking metal and expressing their opinion about it. your the immature one.

Gods_Son
Sat, 05-15-2004, 10:52 AM
He said if you discuss rap in this thread, you will get banned. Nobody gives a shit about hip-hop in here, even if it's just an opinion. I agree that trashing people over musical tastes is dumb, but you should've expected it.

shadowmantis
Sat, 05-15-2004, 12:45 PM
before you lose any more hair over this, i suggest you take it easy and go back to being the cool moderator guy with cool poses in pics. you use way too many caps for a mod.

and the guy dude, you better load that kazaa and start downloading i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

Rek
Sat, 05-15-2004, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by: Destiny

Dude, whats yer problem? Take it easy

sorry you thot that... the ^.^ was just me jokin around man... as I said before I gladly listen to linkin park over any rap/hip hop any day... I didn't mean to make it sound that way.

again, I'm stoked you play guitar, and you practice, but maybe look into more guitar heavy bands... always work on improving, yeah?

Now thats out of the way... what is wrong with all these rap people? They have been insulting metal on almost every page, and there's not a single bad word against rap in there thread. Not a single one. what does that tell you about consideration?

Uzumaki Naruto
Sat, 05-15-2004, 01:54 PM
i do, i listen to whole lota shit besides LP, im in teh process of learning a song called One By Metalica

r3n
Sat, 05-15-2004, 06:42 PM
my current winamp playlist (http://jtownend.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/playlist.html)!

not ripped many of my CDs tho, and ive got a few hundred of them i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

Terracosmo
Sat, 05-15-2004, 08:59 PM
@-Sharingan-Kakashi-: I used you as an example since as far as I could remember you were the one who first talked about rap here. I did -not- say that -you- were the one who said all those things. And I hear you are already quite disliked around this place for acting like a total asshole, I suggest for your own Gotwoot future that you don't add me to your enemy list by misinterpreting.

@shadowmantis: Who's the mod here? You? Me? Me. Yeah, that's right. Therefore -I- choose exactly how much caps a post posted my a mod (again, me) is allowed to include. This doesn't even have anything to do with things. Would you complain if I decided to put the last text in bold/italics? I think not. I merely used the caps to empathize the important part of my post. There's a big difference between that and screaming, which I am sure everybody in here except you managed to understand.

Anyway, I am going to say this once more, don't talk about rap here; OR go in here with the sole purpose of stirring up trouble like shadowmantis. I appreciate the comments about "cool poses" (though I can't remember I did any) but when people come in here and say that metal sucks it is crossing the line. And that's when I -deserve- to stop being "the cool mod". AGAIN, this is not a matter of hating your opinion. This is a matter of keeping your opinion outside this thread.

THANK YOU.

Rek
Sat, 05-15-2004, 09:10 PM
I appreciate the comments about "cool poses" (though I can't remember I did any) but when people come in here and say that metal sucks it is crossing the line. And that's when I -deserve- to stop being "the cool mod". AGAIN, this is not a matter of hating your opinion. This is a matter of keeping your opinion outside this thread.

Cool poses would include the picture you posted of yourself that everyone thought was the coolest picture of all time and made the *5* girls on gotwoot want to have your babies.

~this random fact brought to you by the DISCOVERY CHANNEL~

Terracosmo
Sat, 05-15-2004, 09:16 PM
...are you talking about the goth pic? (http://valethcosmo.free.fr/Ankoku%20Raikouken.jpg) :D

Oh and, we had 5 females?! I thought it was 3. Max.

Good days!

shadowmantis
Sun, 05-16-2004, 03:33 AM
OR go in here with the sole purpose of stirring up trouble like shadowmantis.
i've been on-topic more than you, goth. what i did was simply point out something i thought was funny, and your ego wouldn't let you 'look bad'. even though that wasn't my intention. you're not fit to organize drawers, let alone run this big of a message board. should this have been a PM? hm.. you can ban me if it makes you feel better, mr. 'im the mod, im the mod'.

ANYWAY, silverchair ain't metal, but it's one of those bands inbetween, like lacuna coil and such. i bought the DVD 'live from faraway stables' yesterday. well, it blew my cracka head off. i'm usually on irc, i'll send some songs if anyone is interested.

r3n
Sun, 05-16-2004, 04:50 AM
wonder why nobody has mentioned RATM. thats pretty much metal with a bit of rap in it too, but more metal than LP anyway. RATM >

PSJ
Sun, 05-16-2004, 06:21 AM
woohooo METAL OWNS!!!!! just wanted to say that i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

Rek
Sun, 05-16-2004, 08:15 AM
.... maybe there are just 3... but they want to have your babies so much that combined they equal five... (nice save -.-)

Now, bringing silverchair into a metal thread is rather idiotic... they really arn't even in between. They are like STP and ionno, Lifehouse, creed, than kinda stuff....

Yay! Rage. RATM is fun, but the reason people havn't mentioned rage is because most of the people that list linkin park and stuff are saying these bands because they get them off the radio and mtv, and rage isn't played that much anymore are they?

Mae
Sun, 05-16-2004, 09:34 AM
...are you talking about the goth pic? (http://valethcosmo.free.fr/Ankoku%20Raikouken.jpg) i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

Oh and, we had 5 females?! I thought it was 3. Max.

Good days!

*laughs* I don't know that I want to bear your children, but that is a very nice pic.i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif

Gods_Son
Sun, 05-16-2004, 11:15 AM
Anyways, I like RATM also, just forgot to mention them for some reason.

r3n
Sun, 05-16-2004, 12:04 PM
guys can u take the argument to PM instead of public thread which is meant to be about metal not arguing.

another band i dont mind is 12stones until they did half of an evenescence track. all went downhill from there i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif. its not that i dont like evenescence, i have their album. her voice is beautiful but the backing vocals and guitar bass nd drums are like totally boring and noncreative, where as for instance lacuna coil, she has a great voice but the rest of the band is also excellent i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

Terracosmo
Sun, 05-16-2004, 12:07 PM
The argument between me and shadowmantis will now be taken to PM. I apologize if it annoyed anyone, it was stupid of me to take it in here.

And thank you, Mae! That pic is over a year old though. I have longer hair and stuff now.

Oh and I'm not really goth, in case some people have been led to that idea...

shadowmantis
Sun, 05-16-2004, 01:12 PM
eh, i think it's about time for this thread to be locked, since no one seems to wanna talk about music :/

Gods_Son
Sun, 05-16-2004, 02:00 PM
The thread was about music until this hip-hop vs. metal / hypocrisy shit broke out. SK, you obviously do care what people here think of you, because you typed out that long response to the comments made against you. Just keep the rest of this fight with Terracosmo in PM's, as already suggested.
Anyways, I have to say that Evanescence bores me. Their music is really unoriginal, I haven't heard much of 12 stones though.

Rek
Sun, 05-16-2004, 03:58 PM
thing about 'nescence is they are really good at first, but after that blah... we listened to the whole cd at a friends house, and I could never tell when the track changed.

Destiny
Sun, 05-16-2004, 04:22 PM
Yeah, i thought Evanescence was good for a little while too, but it got repetative. I shouldnt hav even bought the thing (shouldve just downloaded it); but at my lil sister likes them, so i just gave the cd to her.

Terracosmo
Sun, 05-16-2004, 04:51 PM
Did anyone in here hear In Flames? Listening to them right now. Pretty good stuff. From my town too. :D
They are pretty famous though so I assume most of you heard of them.

PSJ
Sun, 05-16-2004, 05:52 PM
yea in flames are good. but their new album is not the best they've done.... their earlier albums is much better. they arent like Maiden, they keep doing great stuff.

Terracosmo
Sun, 05-16-2004, 06:08 PM
Exactly. Old stuff is just so much better.

PSJ
Sun, 05-16-2004, 06:20 PM
yea it sure is. old bands are so much better than most of the new stuff.

Rek
Sun, 05-16-2004, 06:51 PM
which is why I listen to the oldies station while in the car, because there is absolutely nothing better on the radio.

shadowmantis
Mon, 05-17-2004, 12:25 AM
http://www.fotobaron.com/music/icons/icons_pete.gif

see that man? i NEED that man's babies.

r3n
Mon, 05-17-2004, 10:39 AM
i dont mind their new album, but i prefer older tracks like moonshield and december flower etc. some good stuff on soundtrack to escape tho, like In search for I, and like you better dead

Terracosmo
Tue, 05-18-2004, 01:30 AM
Colony is the only In Flames album you need, can't fight songs like Embody the Invisible & Scorn.

Uzumaki Naruto
Tue, 05-18-2004, 01:54 AM
anyone listen to any Iron Maiden, or any Black Sabboth?

Rek
Tue, 05-18-2004, 06:08 AM
I'm sure someone, somewhere, might listen to iron maiden or sabbath... maybe...
(sarcasm)
yeah... they are always on the oldies station I listed above... but I don't download 'em.. or buy them or anything...

shadowmantis
Tue, 05-18-2004, 06:19 AM
not a fan of either i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif i'm not sure what they play, but i'm guessing heavy metal? not my cup of tea. them, judas priest, kiss, those guys don't excite me or make me wet panties.

Uchiha Barles
Tue, 05-18-2004, 03:13 PM
Whoa! A metal thread?!? Sweet. Pantera, Corrosion of Conformity, Metallica, Death, Black Sabbath, Nothingface, 40 below summer, Dream Theater, Tool (my favorite band, but I don't know if I'd call them metal, although if disturbed in metal, then so is tool). Disturbed is pretty good too.

Edit: How could I forget Type O Negative? Beautiful melodies on top of Black Sabbath rhythms, and a singer who sounds like he's delivering judgement from above, or below! excellent band.

Rek
Tue, 05-18-2004, 07:44 PM
welcome to the fold barles... nice list...

Uchiha Barles
Tue, 05-18-2004, 09:03 PM
Hey Rek, good to be here. And:

afi is alright, but im just not into punk :/ and their singers voice is more annoying than 50 cent's

Maybe someone could recommend a track i could download so i know from what level you're talking about.
after forever - my pledge of allegiance
dream theater - season of change
ambeon - cold metal

The dream theater song is actually called "a change of seasons". "season of change" is a Stratovarius song. I bring it up only because if you download the song, you'll probably find both a change of seasons and season of change listed as Dream Theater. Both songs are good though, so it won't be a loss to hear them.

Terracosmo
Tue, 05-18-2004, 10:10 PM
Type O Negative is indeed a very good band, songs like Love You to Death cannot be beaten easily.

I listen to Black Sabbath & Iron Maiden from time to time, have a few CDs, they are not my favorite bands but I respect them a lot for what their music has led to. HAIL!

Gods_Son
Tue, 05-18-2004, 10:27 PM
Not a fan of Dream Theater, but Black Sabbath is probably my favorite old metal band. Ozzy Osbourne really can't perform anymore though, he's basically smoked himself retarded now.

Terracosmo
Wed, 05-19-2004, 12:38 AM
Very true.

Now playing: Blind Guardian - And Then There Was Silence

Himura_san
Wed, 05-19-2004, 12:41 AM
I like Led Zepplin does that count??

Gods_Son
Wed, 05-19-2004, 12:59 AM
I guess Led Zeppelin could count as an early influence of metal.

shadowmantis
Wed, 05-19-2004, 02:00 AM
The dream theater song is actually called "a change of seasons". "season of change" is a Stratovarius song. I bring it up only because if you download the song, you'll probably find both a change of seasons and season of change listed as Dream Theater. Both songs are good though, so it won't be a loss to hear them
doh! no wonder i can't find it on any cd! i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif thanks
i have a live clip of a change of season thingie by DT, though. 25 minutes of pure energy

PSJ
Wed, 05-19-2004, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by: Uzumaki Naruto
anyone listen to any Iron Maiden, or any Black Sabboth?

yea of course maiden are gods!

if you listen to maiden you dont listen to certain songs you listen to the whole album they are the best. only when dickinson is singing tho. blaze bayley and the guy on the first 2 albums arent as good.

r3n
Wed, 05-19-2004, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by: Uchiha Barles
Whoa! A metal thread?!? Sweet. Pantera, Corrosion of Conformity, Metallica, Death, Black Sabbath, Nothingface, 40 below summer, Dream Theater, Tool (my favorite band, but I don't know if I'd call them metal, although if disturbed in metal, then so is tool). Disturbed is pretty good too.

Edit: How could I forget Type O Negative? Beautiful melodies on top of Black Sabbath rhythms, and a singer who sounds like he's delivering judgement from above, or below! excellent band.

damn straight TOOL rocks. not only is the music great but the lyrics are deep too! good stuff. cant wait for whatever next maynard & co. release

shadowmantis
Thu, 05-20-2004, 04:07 AM
fuck maynard up his stuck up, impolite, fascist, 'im better than you' ass.

Gods_Son
Thu, 05-20-2004, 06:59 PM
fuck maynard up his stuck up, impolite, fascist, 'im better than you' ass.

You have fun with that.

Uchiha Barles
Thu, 05-20-2004, 11:35 PM
Maynard rules. As stated earlier, his lyrics are thoughtful and thought inducing, and Tool's music is incredible. Stop with the hatred and go buy his albums.

shadowmantis
Fri, 05-21-2004, 04:15 AM
oh, i was listening to tool before you were born. i have everything tool and apc put out, even salival. i hate how maynard acts and what kind of fans he attracts. carey is the finest drummer i've heard, and jones may not be the best guitarist in the world, but he sure makes interesting noises. tool is great, but if you know more than 'maynard is the lead singer' about them, you'd know that he sucks donkey cock. i hate that bastard and his fanboys i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif you know, those guys at concerts that scream "MAYNAAARD YEAAAAH!!! MAAAYNAAARD"

r3n
Fri, 05-21-2004, 05:33 AM
maynard is what makes the band a cut above the rest. without the lyrics he writes tool would be damn good, but not immense. i dont worship him or nething but the man is talented and clever, even if he looks like a hobbit IRL. and i said "maynard & co." cos i meant APC aswell as Tool, rather than jst labelling tool as backing support for maynard.

Rek
Fri, 05-21-2004, 06:14 AM
jones may not be the best guitarist in the world, but he sure makes interesting noises.

yeah... like in intro to eulogy, right?

Uchiha Barles
Fri, 05-21-2004, 08:15 AM
oh, i was listening to tool before you were born. i have everything tool and apc put out, even salival. i hate how maynard acts and what kind of fans he attracts. carey is the finest drummer i've heard, and jones may not be the best guitarist in the world, but he sure makes interesting noises. tool is great, but if you know more than 'maynard is the lead singer' about them, you'd know that he sucks donkey cock. i hate that bastard and his fanboys i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif you know, those guys at concerts that scream "MAYNAAARD YEAAAAH!!! MAAAYNAAARD"

Since before I was born...heh, alright then. Truth be told, so long as he's personable enough to keep both tool and APC going with the core members, I honestly don't care that he's an asshole. I just want more good music to come out from them. I'll admit that Tool does attract some pretty arrogant fans though.

shadowmantis
Fri, 05-21-2004, 09:25 AM
apc core members? lol, apc exchanged more members than your regular NBA team. i used to love them, actually, when they had that 'garage band' feeling on 'mer de noms'. it was so raw and it didn't seem like they were really going for a market or anything. total anti pop stuff, songs like 'rose' and 'magdalena', and vocal virtuosity, like 'orestes'. then they made 'thirteenth step' and the half assed clip for 'the outsider', which might as well have been a limp bizkit song. m-daddy keeps accepting intervews and all, and then he talks about how he hates doing it. just sometimes, he'll do a decent one. i kinda started to dislike him because of 'the thirteenth step'.

as for adam jones, i thought the intro to 'eulogy' was hella boring i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif didn't carey do that off his digital thingie? anyway, i love the guitar work in 'parabola' and 'lateralis' (or lateralus, depends on the album version). also, 'triad' and 'pushit' have interesting riffs.

edit
just remembered a nice old school guitar shredding 'jerk off', that's a nice tune.

Uchiha Barles
Fri, 05-21-2004, 11:55 AM
Hah! Fine, by core members I mean founding members, and for APC, that's Maynard and Billy. I heard Billy had some disagreements with Maynard over the last album, but so long as they all play nice...

As for "The Thirteenth Step" sound, I listened to it and it most definately isn't an easy listen, short of the outsider, and I liked the song. Sounded NOTHING like limp bizkit. Can't believe you equated APC to shit like that. I didn't see the video for outsider since I don't usually watch television. I also don't know anything about "m-daddy" accepting interviews. I'm gonna say it's to promote APC, not on his account, but on the account of the other band members. Maybe helping out their careers seeing as his is already established.

shadowmantis
Fri, 05-21-2004, 12:10 PM
please, why would ex marilyn manson and smashing pumpkins members need career boosts i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

Uchiha Barles
Fri, 05-21-2004, 12:58 PM
James and twiggy, heh, forgot about them. Ok, I don't know why he's accepting the interviews. Still don't care. So long as the music isn't affected, in my opinion, it hasn't sp far.

r3n
Fri, 05-21-2004, 02:24 PM
as far as i see it, APC is maynards commercial endeavour. hence the interviews. with tool the main message maynard sends out is that ppl shud think for themselves, and NOT idolise him. this is why he has no lighting on him at concerts and never gives interviews when in Tool.

however he has no lighting on him at APC gigs and yet he still publices the fact that hes in the band through interviews (namely kerrang etc). so i dont get that bit. but i jst like the band cos of the music not cos of maynard anyways, truth be told i liked APC a lot when their first album came out but although their 2nd album was a bit disapointing it still had some strong tracks on it. anyway, im jst happy they finally toured scotland so i could go see em. jst waiting for Tool to come back here now (give it another couple of years!)

as for Tool's future i think maynard is either releasing 1 more album with APC or is going straight back to Tool, so i expect some new stuff from Tool soonish.

and as the music style goes, from what i can tell they change it every album changing with current general tastes in music. you can easily see this in the progression from aenima to lateralus. and this is also evident in the artwork too. clever selling strategy if nothing less

shadowmantis
Fri, 05-21-2004, 05:49 PM
new tool album is almost done, yeah. i think they're gonna stop with apc, though. so much turbulence there. billy's either gonna get a girl singer (his original idea) or make another album to honor the contract, and call it quits.

Gods_Son
Fri, 05-21-2004, 05:58 PM
Maynard is a good singer, I don't care about his attitude. As long as he keeps making good music in Tool or APC, it doesn't matter to me.

r3n
Sat, 05-22-2004, 09:36 AM
was gutted when paz left APC, shes so tastey i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

Rek
Sun, 05-23-2004, 04:59 PM
just bumping our beloved metal thread to the top....

because she deserves it.

Swallow Your Soul
Sun, 05-23-2004, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by: Uchiha Barles
James and twiggy, heh, forgot about them. Ok, I don't know why he's accepting the interviews. Still don't care. So long as the music isn't affected, in my opinion, it hasn't sp far.

Are there any songs that Twiggz worked on that someone could recommend? I was a fan of his when he was with MM (my second favourite bass player behind Takeshi Ueda) but I know fuck all about Perfect Circle (I heard a couple of songs but they sounded kinda more bland than what I'd normally listen to).

r3n
Mon, 05-24-2004, 04:07 AM
get their 1st album, its damn good (mer de noms). 2nd album is a bit "bland" as you would put it, in some parts. judith etc arent exactly bland songs i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

shadowmantis
Mon, 05-24-2004, 05:09 AM
http://www.dynamo.nl/indexgb.html <-- going to this!! seeing after forever and nightwish for the first time! in one day!

anyway, if you want twiggy's bass, listen to 'weak and powerless', i suppose.

Swallow Your Soul
Mon, 05-24-2004, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by: r3n
get their 1st album, its damn good (mer de noms). 2nd album is a bit "bland" as you would put it, in some parts. judith etc arent exactly bland songs i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

lol sorry I didn't mean bland in a negative way (I like Radiohead after all i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif), perhaps 'subdued' or 'low key' would have been better (basically not heavy/fast/over the top etc).

I'll have a listen to some of the first album and also that song shadowmantis recommended (thanks to both of you btw).

FearTheMullet
Tue, 05-25-2004, 03:08 PM
In Flames
Megadeth
Metallica
Children of Boddom
Sepultura (HOLY FUCK YEAH! Max is the man)
Pantera (the older stuff, the newer stuff is kinda... crappy generic thrash)
Tower (GREAT fucking band)
Soulfly( Now that Dave Elefson is in this band they look HILARIOUS in music videos, 3 short latinos and a 6 foot tall albino whit guy. Oh and Max, he still is the man even in this band.)
Arch Enemy (they have great tracks, but the singing.... eww)
The Gathering
Acid Drinkers (FUCK YEAH! Track time 6 6 6! haha)

shadowmantis
Tue, 05-25-2004, 04:38 PM
you're welcome, Swallow Your Soul
by the way, i'm thinking about giving therion a shot. can anyone suggest an album i should buy? the new double thingie maybe?

Gods_Son
Tue, 05-25-2004, 04:47 PM
Megadeth is awful, I hate that band.

r3n
Tue, 05-25-2004, 05:48 PM
heh yeah cant say im a fan of em either, soulfly and sepultura used to rox, but they kinda suck a bit now. the last 2 soulfly albums have been disapointing, bring back more primitive tbh, that was some good music

FearTheMullet
Tue, 05-25-2004, 09:02 PM
Megadeth is the shit. Marty Friedman is the GREATEST lead player. And he plays in J-Pop bands now... haha. He could still rip every guitar player out there a new one.

And I agree, older Sepultura is alot better then the new stuff with Derek.

EIDT

Check out my bands webiste

www.morbidtheory.com

Noir from the boards is also in it.

Washuu-chan
Tue, 05-25-2004, 09:21 PM
Mindless Self Indulgence!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Swallow Your Soul
Wed, 05-26-2004, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by: KonohamaruCorps
Megadeth is awful, I hate that band.

Agreed...I used to love them when I was 11...but back then I also liked Enter Sandman by Metallica (I like Metallica even less...I had to stand through a 3 hour set at the Leeds Festival...interesting for about 30 mins just because the guitarist is talented...but 80 solos later it just got dull as hell, but then I don't like those kind of bands anyway).

I wanna hear some stuff from Cradle's new album (apparently most of it is done), I heard there will be a song that sounds "like Hatebreed". Hopefully that is bollocks...I can't see that happening...Hatebreed....*cuts self off to save a 5 paragraph rant*

Kittie also have a new album coming out which should be pretty cool (yeah I'm one of the few people who is uncool enough to like them).

shadowmantis
Wed, 05-26-2004, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by: Washuu-chan

i thought 'bring the pain' cover was interesting, but overal i'm not too crazy aboot them i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

Uchiha Barles
Wed, 05-26-2004, 10:12 PM
Huh...Meshuggah rocks. I've been listening to them for awhile now, not sure whether or not I liked them, because I couldn't 'get' them. Just now though I sat through a playlist full of them and everything is clear as day. I'm glad I made this investment...shot to my top 5 list.

r3n
Thu, 05-27-2004, 05:21 AM
cant say i like cradle of filth or hatebreed tbh. cradle jst seem to be out there to make controversy with their lyrics rather than creating good music. i mean who actually lives by this "fuck christ" way of life. if u dont follow christianity, leave it at that, no need to release Tshirts of jesus defiling some young girl. same goes with all these other bands that put on a facade to sell albums, like slipknot. whats the need in the masks and boiler suits, jst makes them look retarded. i only listen to bands for their music, not their image, and i think thats the way it should be.

Swallow Your Soul
Thu, 05-27-2004, 09:42 AM
cant say i like cradle of filth or hatebreed tbh. cradle jst seem to be out there to make controversy with their lyrics rather than creating good music. i mean who actually lives by this "fuck christ" way of life. if u dont follow christianity, leave it at that, no need to release Tshirts of jesus defiling some young girl. same goes with all these other bands that put on a facade to sell albums, like slipknot. whats the need in the masks and boiler suits, jst makes them look retarded. i only listen to bands for their music, not their image, and i think thats the way it should be.

Cradle aren't serious over that sort of stuff. They are meant to be over the top, most (if not all) of their lyrics are written in a fictional context...they say themselves that they're inspired by B movies (Dani Filth even stars in the B Movie Cradle of Fear), so I just take them at that level. The band are always taking the piss out of themselves and the 'Jesus is a cunt' t-shirts are just to be provocative...if it gets their name mentioned in the press then that'd make it even better for them...their imagery and music videos are fiction/fantasy. Taking the "fuck christ" way of life as you put it seriously, or taking songs like Lord Abortion seriously, is kinda like taking songs like 'Grave Robbing USA' by Murderdolls seriously. Cradles lyrics also seem much better written than other bands (despite not really making any political points etc, they still are generally extremely well written). Cradles music imo IS good, its not like they just play any old noise...the musicians are actually talented and they don't just play simple power chords all the time like a lot of other bands.

The masks of Slipknot thing is a gimmick...but I don't really see the problem, I used to like a lot of their music and the masks thing was just something I thought was interesting at the time. Mushroomhead are one of my favourite bands now, and they wear masks as well (though they're of a higher overall quality of music than Slipknot anyway imo)

Hatebreed suck donkey bollocks, the singers voice is the worst ever and their lyrics are completely embarrassing.

Tbh I think image is an important and necessary thing for some bands. Even the whole 'we just wear jeans and t-shirt because we have no image' ideal is an image of in itself. Even if you disagree that image has a part to play, surely it is possible to like music whether close attention is paid to an image or not? Bands like Marilyn Manson and the Manic Street Preachers have all had to get shit off elitest critics for having strong emphasis on image, and yet both of these bands also often have meaningful lyrics and/or a point to make at the same time. Image shouldn't be more important than the music...but it'd be a fucks site duller if you saw Marilyn Manson, Wednesday 13 or Dani Filth just onstage in jeans and t-shirt with no make-up on i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

r3n
Thu, 05-27-2004, 10:56 AM
well i suppose u argue a good point, but i still think a bands music should sell them, not messages they put across to get attention, or the silly outfits they wear. i generally get music recommendations off music sites and so dont see the band itself until a. i see them live, b. i buy their album. so for me its from the band's music that i decide if i like them or not. if a band has important message along side their music like RATM then i dont mind, but aslong as the music doesnt drop in quality i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif. i didnt realise cradle based their image on Bmovies, guess i know now!

Uchiha Barles
Sat, 05-29-2004, 01:38 AM
I love metal. i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

Locke
Sat, 05-29-2004, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by: Washuu-chan

MSI give everything ever, a bad name. They don't know if they're metal, rock, rap, or retard. They just throw random words together and say dumb meaningless shit. I classify them as rap due to thier worthlessness and lack of the ability to form a proper sentance.

Any From Autumn To Ashes fans here?

Uchiha Barles
Sat, 05-29-2004, 01:57 AM
Oooh, not a fan yet, but getting there. I heard a couple of songs on Music Choice from those guys. Mind recommending something from them?

v I can't remember the names of the songs I heard. It's bothering me. v

Locke
Sat, 05-29-2004, 10:41 AM
Try Alive out of habit, Short stories with tragic endings, milligram smile (they actually have a video of that, on launch.com), All I taste is what's her name, and The second wrong makes you feel right. I think that's more than enough songs to make you a fan.

Uchiha Barles
Sat, 05-29-2004, 04:03 PM
Thanks man. I got the ones you've mentioned, reflection of anguish, and trapped inside the cage of my soul. These guys are good. I'll be picking up the albums these songs came from sometime this week.

r3n
Tue, 06-01-2004, 07:44 AM
does any1 have tool - salival? ive jst downloaded it, wondering what the point in it is nearly all of it is from previous albums.

shadowmantis
Tue, 06-01-2004, 07:49 AM
BLASPHEMER! i got it from my gf for birthday. it has 'live versions' of some old songs, plus new ones. an amazing cover of peach's 'you lied', and an even better cover of led zep's 'no quarter'. and, uh, 'maynards dick'. stupid and catchy song i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif it's a nice album dude, buy it IF you can find it. it comes with a big fat artwork booklet and a dvd of 5 video's (off opiate, undertow and aenima). great album.

r3n
Tue, 06-01-2004, 08:52 AM
cant say ive ever seen it in the shops in the UK

shadowmantis
Tue, 06-01-2004, 01:02 PM
she had to order it on ebay, and it was quite expensive

r3n
Tue, 06-01-2004, 07:05 PM
sounds like u have a good gf. should treasure her with care i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

shadowmantis
Sat, 06-05-2004, 06:45 PM
just got back from that festival, like an hour ago. after forever was the best part. dimmu borgir was cool, i guess, but i don't like them much. and i've gained so much respect for children of bodom. they shredded my heart out.

Uchiha Barles
Sat, 06-05-2004, 08:42 PM
I just listened to the Atreyu album that came out this year. It's one of the best things I've heard in long time. I would like to thank Terracosmo for starting this thread and thus giving people an opportunity to post and hear about bands we that we might not have otherwise. Words cannot express my gratitude (ok, they can, but just barely.) This thread rules!

Locke
Sat, 06-05-2004, 09:37 PM
Atreyu are pretty effin great. They's touring with From Autumn To Ashes right now.

Uchiha Barles
Sun, 06-06-2004, 12:31 AM
That's awesome, any idea when they'll be stopping by the New York/New Jersey area?

Locke
Sun, 06-06-2004, 09:51 PM
Sadly I just checked and the tour just ended. Atreyu will be on Ozzfest though along with TONS of other metal giants. From autumn to ashes are gunna be on the warped tour.

Uchiha Barles
Sun, 06-06-2004, 11:13 PM
Oh that's good to hear, my friend was supposed to pick up some tickets to ozzfest for me. I should go check on that.

shadowmantis
Mon, 06-07-2004, 12:32 AM
ozzfest is nu metal galore i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

Uchiha Barles
Mon, 06-07-2004, 12:52 AM
Bands like Meshuggah and Atreyu play it, so I can choose which stage to be at and when to be at it. On another note, anyone ever heard of a banc called Fragments of Unbecoming? What do you guys think of them?

Swallow Your Soul
Mon, 06-07-2004, 01:43 AM
I seriously doubt anyone will know who I'm talking about, but does anyone know where I could get mp3s/PVs of a band called 'Undown'. They are a band including ToruXXX of The Mad Capsule Markets - I've heard a few streaming 30 second clips and they sound ace (plus Toru has a fucking cool voice just from doing backing vocals for MCM) so I wanna see if I can find anything from them...

EDIT - in fact...any kind of mp3 site that features rare or international mp3s would be seriously appreciated...I've tried everywhere I can possibly think of...

miaka
Tue, 06-08-2004, 12:19 AM
linkin park is kewl

Uchiha Barles
Tue, 06-08-2004, 12:26 AM
Everytime I hear of a new band that not to many people may have heard of, I usually go on Direct Connect and look for some music files to test em out. Try the metal hubs on DC as well as any hub with the most people in them. IRC might be even better, but I have no idea how to use it, so I don't, and therefore couldn't tell you. But if you know how to use it, or are willing to figure it out, word of mouth is it's worth it.

Locke
Tue, 06-08-2004, 10:04 AM
Just uhhh

Download mirc : www.sysreset.com
install and whatnot
go to www.ircspy.com
search for what you want
click thier link
paste what they give you onto mirc
done.

Uchiha Barles
Fri, 06-11-2004, 07:39 PM
I suppose all gotwoot metal heads are taking an extended nap?

Swallow Your Soul
Fri, 06-11-2004, 08:22 PM
I guess maybe they've pretty much spoken about everything...or I just killed it asking that question before i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

I've been d/ling music from a few new (to me) bands but haven't really found any I like that much, just started on Children of Bodom (Hatebreeder) though and they seem pretty cool...downloaded Kitties new album as well though I gotta say I don't like it as much as their second album, though I'd pretty much gone off them anyway...

Gonna see Killswitch/Chimaira co-headline at Academy 2 on Sunday so that should be pretty cool...first major show I've been to in fucking ages (good bands seem to have been in hibernation from Manchester so far this year...Chimaira came earlier in the year but I passed on that cos I didn't really like them much at the time...).

shadowmantis
Sat, 06-12-2004, 04:17 AM
Originally posted by: Swallow Your Soul
I guess maybe they've pretty much spoken about everything...or I just killed it asking that question before i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

I've been d/ling music from a few new (to me) bands but haven't really found any I like that much, just started on Children of Bodom (Hatebreeder) though and they seem pretty cool...

they absolutely blew me away when i saw them.

just got back from a david bowie concert. ROCK!

Swallow Your Soul
Sun, 06-13-2004, 07:14 PM
I just got back from the Killswitch/Chimaira concert and I'm gonna be in so much pain tomorrow morning - it was well good...plus I managed to get the Chimaira set list when one of the band threw it into the crowd...

That 'Moses' thing they do is well ace...I've seen them before but I didn't go in the pit for it back then cos I wasn't into them at the time...

Zansatsu
Wed, 06-23-2004, 01:47 PM
Omg? How come I haven't seen this thread earlier \,,/
Me likes Nightwish, Sonata Arctica, Blind Guardian, Eternal Tears of Sorrow, Dimmu Borgir and Ensiferum to name a few. Though metal has been 2nd in my playlist as of late.

Terracosmo
Wed, 06-23-2004, 04:48 PM
All of those are very good bands Zansatsu.

As far as concerts goes I've been on 2 festivals newly.
I saw Helloween, Testament, Children of Bodom, Nightwish, Evergrey, Edguy & Dimmu Borgir. GOOD STUFF!

iminyourbrain
Wed, 06-23-2004, 06:08 PM
i am posting for a friend who liked to rock and liked to roll. 4ever in our hearts wesley willis.

PSJ
Thu, 06-24-2004, 05:33 PM
no one listening to some easier stuff like iron maiden? seems like everybody is into the heavy stuff :/

r3n
Thu, 06-24-2004, 07:45 PM
i was at a modestmouse gig yesterday, supported by rilo kiley. not metal, but damn good neway i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

also not really metal, more prog rock(still heavyish):-

at the drive in
sparta
the mars volta

3 amazing bands (ATDI split to form sparta and MV), go check em out if ur not listenening to them already

Gods_Son
Thu, 06-24-2004, 08:06 PM
at the drive in
sparta
the mars volta

Good bands, I like Sparta less than the other two though.

Uzumaki Naruto
Sat, 06-26-2004, 02:03 AM
Originally posted by: Pervert-Sennin Jiraiya
no one listening to some easier stuff like iron maiden? seems like everybody is into the heavy stuff :/

i do well everyonce in a while, but yea i listen to iron maiden they kik ass

Concentric
Sat, 06-26-2004, 02:38 AM
I don't really care for any of the newer metal/hard rock bands, the majority just churn out powerchoards and scream cause they can't sing...

Iron Maiden
Black Sabath
Bling Guardian
Guns & Roses, ha, a guilty pleasure
Faith No More, although I don't really consider the metal, they kick ass
And I used to be a Metallica fan, untill load/reload/st anger, but everything before = classic, especially master of the puppets

But that said when it comes to metal/hard rock I'm more shreader stuff like Satriani, Vai, Malmsteen etc

shadowmantis
Sat, 06-26-2004, 09:32 AM
G3 > *.mp3

http://www.omguide.com/images/G3.jpg

Gods_Son
Sat, 06-26-2004, 12:01 PM
That band looks pretty gay.

shadowmantis
Sat, 06-26-2004, 01:11 PM
next time you diss satriani, 5000 people will die in chicago. think about it.

Concentric
Sun, 06-27-2004, 12:11 AM
^ hahaha too true.

Satch is a golden god

Sirion
Sun, 06-27-2004, 03:39 AM
Wow... Looking through this, I feel really old (still, I belive I am younger then most of you).

I am more of an 80's guy really, listening to what was called heavy metal back in the days, and have been called girlfriend metal by all my "friends" for the last two months:

Black Sabbath (listen to Dio records, and compare them to Ozzy's. Ozzy Sabbath is totally BLOWN AWAY)
Britny Fox
Cinderella
Dio
Dokken
Gary Moore
Ozzy
Rainbow (mostly the 70's songs)
Ratt
Rising Force (Odyssey album is godlike, the rest is so so)
White Lion
Y&T

...I could go on and on, but you get the clue, right?

shadowmantis
Sun, 06-27-2004, 05:23 AM
i think i go way earlier i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif although it's not considered 'metal', it sure did influence it. the who, jimi hendrix, clapton, led zep, the doors, etc. best music came from the mid 60's till late 70's, imo. there will never be another musical age that's gonna bring so many rock legends out.

Sirion
Sun, 06-27-2004, 06:31 AM
Shadowmantis, I really love that stuff as well! Zep's Tangerine is one of the songs I've listened to most lately. I dig all that 60's and 70's stuff as well, especially the new blues generation from Britain (Zeppelin, Cream, Jeff Beck, Yardbirds, Fleetwood Mac etc.), but perhaps even more those who were a little bit more rocked up (Black Sabbath, Deep Purple and pretty much any band Gary Moore played in).

However, I feel that it was the eighties were the time when everything exploded!

r3n
Sun, 06-27-2004, 08:13 AM
hrm im not too keen on older rock, the whole tight leather/jeans is a bit of a turn off tbh i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

ive jst sold (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2253582642) my ticket to T in the Park music festival, not really many metal bands playing but loads of good bands like franz ferdinand, snow patrol (their drummer served me soup!), funeral for a friend, etc playing. bit gutted i have to sell my ticket really i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif. ahwell i need the money for my japan trip which will be better!

Sirion
Sun, 06-27-2004, 09:32 AM
hrm im not too keen on older rock, the whole tight leather/jeans is a bit of a turn off tbh i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

ive jst sold (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2253582642) my ticket to T in the Park music festival, not really many metal bands playing but loads of good bands like franz ferdinand, snow patrol (their drummer served me soup!), funeral for a friend, etc playing. bit gutted i have to sell my ticket really i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif. ahwell i need the money for my japan trip which will be better!

Nothing beats yellow spandex, or what? i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

Sensei Jon
Sun, 06-27-2004, 10:59 AM
My favorite bands are:

Finntroll
Dimmu Borgir
Children of Bodom
In Flames (only the early stuff)
Metallica
Megadeath
Stormlord
Ancient
Graveland
Lord Wind
Emperor
System of a Down
Kalmah
a lot of others but can't remember the names

Fr0sT
Thu, 07-01-2004, 02:08 AM
Woot A Metal Head Topic...im a little late but whatevz

i cant say that im into metal...but more into the underground hardcore scene
some Bands (metal and hardcore bands):
Rise Over Run
Atreyu
Metallica(not the new crap)
Zao
Dillinger Escape Plan
Scarlet
Slayer
Pantera(god i miss them)
Tool
A Perfect Circle
Poison The Well
Most Precious Blood
Arch Enemy
Everytime I Die
Bury Your Dead
As I Lay Dying
Black Sabbath
Terror
Throwdown
Lamb Of God
Coheed And Cambria

thats all im gonna name for now...2 much to go on....

PossiblE
Thu, 09-09-2004, 05:00 PM
Well well well, I was going to post a Metal thread, but I used the search function.

This thread definately needs to stay on top. I read some of the first page and I saw a lot of nu-metal (mallcore) junk.
My favourite band of all time is Nevermore, their music is just so great, Warrel even did awesome stuff back in the Sanctuary days. After Nevermore it is definately Mastodon, their drummer is just amazing, no one can compare to him.
Lately I have been enjoying Insomnium, they are great melo-death. Get anything you can by them.

By the way, anyone heard Bodoms cover of "She is Beautiful", it's very odd, but I like it.

kupalmaru
Thu, 09-09-2004, 06:18 PM
Moresy LOL

I like

Metallica
Tool
God Smack
Black Sabbath
Smashing Pumpkin
APC
Wolfgang(It's a local band)

Samanosuke
Thu, 09-09-2004, 06:20 PM
now i havent read all this thread, and im not going to. just the first page and probably some after this post.

but, pansy music - is rock music.
big fuckin deal. its loud and they scream. whoopty. they still bitch about girlfriends and how their mommys and daddys got a divorce. its just like every other kind of music that sucks.
i dont wanna hear about some guys problems with his girlfriend.
i dont care care about some skanky white guy who got ass raped.

thats all metal is about.

PossiblE
Thu, 09-09-2004, 06:27 PM
now i havent read all this thread, and im not going to. just the first page and probably some after this post.

big fuckin deal. its loud and they scream. whoopty. they still bitch about girlfriends and how their mommys and daddys got a divorce. its just like every other kind of music that sucks.

Name some metal bands with lyrics like that... I have yet to hear any.

Terracosmo
Fri, 09-10-2004, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by: Samanosuke

Were you not a long-timer I'd assrape your pets and make sure you'll never come in contact with a keyboard again for this statement.

I doubt you are serious, anyhow. i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif If you are, I feel very sorry for you for missing out on the excellent music.
Simultaneously I'm amazed at where you got that impression from in the first place...

@PossiblE: You are correct this needs to stay on top forever. I'm a big Bodom fan and I heard She is Beautiful, it's one of the covers on their new EP right? Pretty nice. The Rebel Yell cover was quite weird too...

PossiblE
Fri, 09-10-2004, 09:30 PM
Yeah it's from the new EP. Based on that EP and Hatecrew Deathroll, it seems they are going the way of In Flames, their sound is changing slowly. At least they still manage to have great guitars though. Haven't heard the other cover, I'll check it out.

Edit: Just downloaded Rebel Yell. That's the first time I've heard Alexi's clear voice, if he could write good lyrics, it would be interesting to hear some clear Bodom songs.

shadowmantis
Fri, 09-10-2004, 09:40 PM
i really like children of bodom. im not into the '666 hate me death death' thing, but their music is so dynamic, it doesnt matter what theyre talking about i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif best live band ive ever heard (yeah yeah, tools second i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif)
i might be seeing therion, tristania and trail of tears in a couple of months. i hope i have enough money!

Terracosmo
Sat, 09-11-2004, 10:56 AM
Personally I prefer current Bodom over their more "extreme" death sound of the first 2 CDs. Follow the Reaper & Hatecrew Deathroll both had considerably more tracks that were to my liking. If you like Bodom, I sincerily hope you've heard Norther. They sound like Bodom, but have better lyrics. i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

PossiblE
Sat, 09-11-2004, 03:01 PM
Yeah, I've heard some Norther, it didn't appeal to me as much as Bodom.

I liked Bodom's old sound MUCH better than their newer stuff, but Follow the Reaper was still a great cd.

Terracosmo
Sun, 09-12-2004, 04:51 PM
It's no surprise that you didn't like Norther as much since they sound a lot more like new Bodom than old Bodom. i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

PossiblE
Sun, 09-12-2004, 06:36 PM
Heh, most likely. Norther is alright, but I wouldn't listen to them too mcuh.

Anyways, how about some Dragonforce, they haven't been talked about yet.
Dragonforce is awesome.

Terracosmo
Sun, 09-12-2004, 06:56 PM
DragonForce?! HELL YEAH!! They are one of my favorite bands, they mean damn lots to me... had a period in my life where I had Valley of the Damned (the song) on repeat for weeks. They are THAT good! You have great taste mate.

PossiblE
Mon, 09-13-2004, 02:57 PM
I was hoping someone else would reply, seems weird to just have a conversation between two people on a forum. Come on metal fans, start posting.

Yeah, Dragonforce is definately an awesome band, their style is just crazy. While we are on the subject of power metal, how about some Luca Turilli, any fans of this awesome Rhapsody guitarist side project?

KitKat
Mon, 09-13-2004, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by: PossiblE
I was hoping someone else would reply, seems weird to just have a conversation between two people on a forum. Come on metal fans, start posting.

Ok, here's me. I'm more of a casual metal fan, since I have very eclectic taste in music. However, I absolutely love Sepultura. Type O Negative is another long time favourite of mine. Their songs "Life is killing me" and "I don't wanna be me" were the theme songs of my exams last year. i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

Terracosmo
Mon, 09-13-2004, 03:56 PM

Yeah, Dragonforce is definately an awesome band, their style is just crazy. While we are on the subject of power metal, how about some Luca Turilli, any fans of this awesome Rhapsody guitarist side project?

What, I'm not good enough to post? i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

Luca is okay, but I prefer Rhapsody. They both sound equally fast and cheesy, but Rhapsody has better songs.

PossiblE
Mon, 09-13-2004, 05:25 PM
Heh heh, true Rhapsody is probably a bit better, but I do like where Luca's new cd went with the space power metal theme.

About Sepultura and Type O Negative, can't say I like either band, but I recommend you listen to some Nevermore, download Beyond Within and Seed Awakening.

shadowmantis
Mon, 09-13-2004, 05:39 PM
rhapsody that sang prince igor with... warren g? :/

'wolf moon' is one of the greatest songs ever composed.

Terracosmo
Mon, 09-13-2004, 07:06 PM
lmao what? Prince Igor featured Warren G and a norwegian female vocalist called Sissel... where did you get that from?

shadowmantis
Mon, 09-13-2004, 08:50 PM
click (http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews45471.html)

hmm, i think the two of them just called theirselves rhapsody for that one project or something. i dunno.

Terracosmo
Tue, 09-14-2004, 04:05 AM
Wow, that really is weird.

Swallow Your Soul
Wed, 09-15-2004, 01:52 AM

Meh, this is probably pretty much the same as my earlier posts here...some of the bands I listen to (CoF etc) get called 'sellout' bands a lot by elitists, but if I like it I'll listen to it i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif.

Bands I listen to:

Cradle of Filth
Killswitch Engage
Chimaira (a little bit, they're ok)
Mushroomhead
The Mad Capsule Markets (punk but they get pretty heavy in some songs - best band on earth i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif)
Grimfist
Kittie (their older stuff - yes I'm that uncool to listen to them sometimes - not often though)
System of a Down
Undown (Japanese metal band with ToruXXX of The Mad Capsule Markets on guitar)
Dir En Grey (the band in my avatar - not metal but some of their songs border on it)
+D'espairsRay+
Marilyn Manson (don't suppose they're really metal, but some of their older stuff is cool)

I stupidly bought tickets for an upcoming Slipknot/Slayer/Hatebreed concert thats gonna totally suck - I liked Slipknot for a while a few years ago (don't like them anymore), don't really like Slayer and I fucking hate Hatebreed

PossiblE
Wed, 09-15-2004, 03:02 PM
Heh, the only thing that's worth the money there is Slayer, how could you not like Slayer? Their old stuff is just so awesome.

How about the now popular Folk Metal (I guess it's called that or was it Pagan Folk Metal?). I've been listening to Finntroll and Moonsorrow a lot lately. Great Music.

kupalmaru
Wed, 09-15-2004, 04:46 PM
I remember when MTV paid tribute to Metallica. MTV invited some band to perform some Metallica classic.

Avril Lavigne was one of the performer. She sing fuel, I think

What's your opinion about Avril's performance.

shadowmantis
Wed, 09-15-2004, 06:12 PM
i haven't seen it, so i can't answer. but i do know that her songs are no different than other pop songs, except she forces an image of some new kid punk thing. she teaches our children to only like other people if they are rich and famous (as seen/heard in sk8r boi), and anyone who 'claims' to be 'deep' is automatically shallow, imo. that whore needs to die. or stop making records.

Swallow Your Soul
Wed, 09-15-2004, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by: kupalmaru
I remember when MTV paid tribute to Metallica. MTV invited some band to perform some Metallica classic.

Avril Lavigne was one of the performer. She sing fuel, I think

What's your opinion about Avril's performance.

I haven't heard her sing the Metallica song but if its anywhere near as bad as her acoustic rendition of Chop Suey by SOAD then I'd be interested in downloading it i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif. Listening to her sing the verse bit felt like watching a horrific car crash in slow motion i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

And yeah PossiblE I haven't really listened to Slayer much if I'm honest, I'm gonna d/l some songs before I go to see if I like them, it was one of those things where someone suggested a concert about 8 months in advance and I just agreed. i/expressions/rolleye.gif I might see if I can sell it on ebay or something...

Terracosmo
Wed, 09-15-2004, 06:34 PM
I don't even want to imagine Avril singing Fuel.

As for CoF, I don't care that they are "selling out" (I don't really agree on the term), as far as I'm concerned they are just not as good as before. Now Midian, that was a fucking great album. But after that...

Swallow Your Soul
Wed, 09-15-2004, 07:38 PM
Yeah Midian is miles better than any of their other albums...that was the first one I heard by them, first song I heard was Lord Abortion which is still probably my favourite song by them..

They still have the odd good track on some of the other ones (Funeral In Carpathia, Suicide & Other Comforts etc, ones with the backing singer are usually fairly good) but Midian is the only one I'll listen to all the way through...I've heard a few tracks of a promo thing they're doing for their new album and they weren't all that good...some of the instrumental tracks are pretty good (intros and stuff like that).

PossiblE
Wed, 09-15-2004, 08:42 PM
Heh, can't say I like CoF or have ever liked them.

Guess no one likes Finntroll or Moonsorrow?
Lets shift back to power metal then, anyone heard Celesty? I've only heard a few songs, but from what I have heard, they are damn good.

Edit: Finally got Genin, go me.

Charlf00
Wed, 09-15-2004, 09:21 PM
bands I listen to as well.
The Cure
Type O Negative
Nightwish
The Tea Party
Nick CAve
Pantera
Nine Inch Nails
Einsturzende Neubauten
Alice In Chains
Soundgarden
Godspeed You Black Emperor (not metal but good)

KaneInferno
Wed, 09-15-2004, 11:04 PM
i listen to everything so i dont know the difference between metal and other types of "rock"

and by everything i mean everything...i have temptations music on my comp

Uchiha Barles
Wed, 09-15-2004, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by: Charlf00
bands I listen to as well.
The Cure
Type O Negative
Nightwish
The Tea Party
Nick CAve
Pantera
Nine Inch Nails
Einsturzende Neubauten
Alice In Chains
Soundgarden
Godspeed You Black Emperor (not metal but good)

Hah. Lots of this stuff isn't really metal at all, but all good nonetheless. Looking at all these posts, I really don't know that many metal bands compared to the lot of you. Of course I've also been complaining about outright shitty music the past few years. So These posts are going to keep me busy for awhile with music. I feel like a pre-teen in the porn section with an unlimited budget and a fake ID. It's good to be a gotwoot forum member.i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

PossiblE
Thu, 09-16-2004, 02:40 PM
I can give you some good metal bands, depending on what style you like. Just list some metal bands that you have likes so far, and I can probably give you some more of that genre, or that just sound similar.

Uchiha Barles
Fri, 09-17-2004, 11:15 PM
Hey thanks man. I'll take you up on your offer. Some metal bands I like a great deal are Pantera, Metallica, Messhugah, Sepultura, Corrosion of Conformity, Death, Dream Theater, Stratovarius, In Flames, Type O Negative, Megadeth, Nothingface, and Slayer. There are others, but they're not coming to mind. Other bands that sound like any of these is good, but I'm open to different sounds all together as well. Go nuts.

KitKat
Fri, 09-17-2004, 11:25 PM
Nice list, dude! I listen to pretty much all of those! I'm looking forward to what PossiblE will suggest as well. i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

shadowmantis
Sat, 09-18-2004, 08:30 AM
iron maiden? i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

id suggest dredg, within temptation, opeth and maybe skinny puppy

PossiblE
Sat, 09-18-2004, 02:21 PM
Hey thanks man. I'll take you up on your offer. Some metal bands I like a great deal are Pantera, Metallica, Messhugah, Sepultura, Corrosion of Conformity, Death, Dream Theater, Stratovarius, In Flames, Type O Negative, Megadeth, Nothingface, and Slayer. There are others, but they're not coming to mind. Other bands that sound like any of these is good, but I'm open to different sounds all together as well. Go nuts.
Heh awesome, you listed many different genres.
Well here goes some, I'll probably think of more later and edit this:

Pantera, Metallica and Meshuggah are all pretty difficult to classify, can't help you out there too much, try a band called Textures if you like Meshuggah though.

Death is also pretty unique, but try some Amon Amarth, The Crown, Bloodbath, Darkane, Dimension Zero and possibly Obsidian. A lot of these bands aren't really close to Death but they are all heavy, if you like them, I can give you heavier stuff.

Dream Theater, hmmm, I don't know much prog, Ivory Tower (Almost the same sound as Dream Theater), Symphony X, Planet X (purely instrumental band), Liquid Tension Experiment and maybe Warmen (they are a side project of CoB's keyboardist, very unique sound).

Stratovarius, excellent, power metal, this is probably my favourite genre, Rhapsody, Luca Turilli, Labyrinth, Kamelot, Human Fortress, Eidolon, Nevermore (they sort of fit into this, they have a unique sound, also my favourite band), Wolfcry, Sonata Arctica, Primal Fear, Iced Earth (not really power metal, similar vocal style though), Gamma Ray, Evergrey, Dragonland, Dragonforce, Blind Guardian, Celesty and Battlelore (growling vocals with a female clear singer, more heavier power metal).

In Flames, ah Melo-Death, my second favourite genre, sadly there aren't very many good bands that do it as well as old In Flames. Anyways here goes, Dark Tranquillity, Obisidian (they fit into here as well), Norther (sort of similar sound), and Imsomnium. Sadly that's all I have for melo-death, I guess they are all so good I can just listen to each cd over and over.

Slayer, thrash, I don't listen to a lot of thrash, but there are a lot of good bands. The Black Dahlia Murder (growling vox, very fast), At the Gates and Nightrage, sadly that's all I have for this, if you like any heavier stuff, I can give you a lot more bands that are just as fast as these.

Some bands you should listen to because they are just so good: Katatonia, Agalloch, ... And Oceans, Apocalyptica, My Dying Bride, Moonsorrow, Finntroll, Moonspell, Mastodon, Into Eternity, Borknagar, Children of Bodom and Opeth

As for Sepultura, Corrosion of Conformity, Type O Negative, and Nothingface, I don't listen to those (or classify them as Metal).

I bolded all the bands, so you don't have to read all my blabbering if you don't want to.

Edit: If you can't find any of these bands, I can send a few songs I have over MSN(Seed.Awakening@gmail.com) or AIM(Opiate034).

r3n
Sat, 09-18-2004, 03:40 PM
is it possible to tag PossiblE (pardon the pun) as "Metal Head" or something. his knowledge is stupidly good in the subject.

PossiblE
Sat, 09-18-2004, 04:00 PM
Haha, thanks.

GhostKaGe
Sat, 09-18-2004, 05:33 PM
If i was to make a list of all ythe bands id be here all night so im not gonna bother but i will give you a few just to give you an idea of that im into

metallica lets face it they are just that good
pantera i agree with the other guy can't be bothered to find what his name is but i miss them too
iron maiden they got some quality stuf but there most reacent albums sucked
slayer although i havent listened them in awile
motorhead Lemmy is god

As you can see most of the stuff i like is a bit dated

anyway i could go on all day....well no i couldn't i can't be bothered so thats ya lot

Some good stuff ya got there stuff there PossiblE

Terracosmo
Sat, 09-18-2004, 08:21 PM
Heh, can't say I like CoF or have ever liked them.

Guess no one likes Finntroll or Moonsorrow?
Lets shift back to power metal then, anyone heard Celesty? I've only heard a few songs, but from what I have heard, they are damn good.

Edit: Finally got Genin, go me.

You crazy man? Finntroll is awesome! I love them lots. Folk metal is wonderful i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif I heard Celesty. Even wrote a review for their first album for a big metal site. Gave it 8/10.

Uchiha Barles
Sun, 09-19-2004, 12:01 AM
Thanks a lot possible. I'll have my hands full getting hold of all the stuff you listed. I appreciate it man. Is Apocalyptica that band that does acoustic string tributes to popular metal bands?

PossiblE
Sun, 09-19-2004, 12:07 AM
You crazy man? Finntroll is awesome! I love them lots. Folk metal is wonderful I heard Celesty. Even wrote a review for their first album for a big metal site. Gave it 8/10.
Nice, URL?

To Barles, um, Apocalyptica covered Master of Puppets (the whole cd) but they also have original stuff. They use violins or cellos, or something.

KitKat
Sun, 09-19-2004, 12:26 AM
Yeah Apocalyptica! If I remember correctly, each of the band members is classically trained on cello, and their style is a unique mixing of classical and metal and...well, their own creativity. It's amazing the range of sounds they can get from their cellos to so closely mimic metal songs. As PossiblE mentionned, they also write original music which is quite musically complex and well worth the listen. One of my favourites is their cover of 'Refuse Resist' by Sepultura.

Uchiha Barles
Sun, 09-19-2004, 11:50 PM
yeah, now I remember them. They also did a tribute to undertow. It was...interesting. I'll have to check out their original material.

shadowmantis
Mon, 09-20-2004, 05:03 AM
they did a buncha metallica covers. i have one of their albums, it's nice.

PossiblE
Tue, 09-21-2004, 08:48 PM
This thread is slowly sinking.

So, anyone else, other than me, think that Nevermore is just too damn good.

Terracosmo
Tue, 09-21-2004, 08:58 PM
@PossiblE: Here's the URL to the Celesty review: http://www.metalstorm.ee/bands/review.php?id=2755&band_id=celesty

As for Apocalyptica, I dig Path. i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

PossiblE
Tue, 09-21-2004, 09:39 PM
The newbie metal-head:
1) FINLAND! THAT'S WHERE NIGHTWISH IS FROM! OMG! METAL!

The "I want to die" metal-head:
2) OMG! FINLAND! HIM! AND 15 OTHER GOTH METAL BANDS WHICH SOUNDS JUST LIKE THEM! HEAVEN! *Jumps from a cliff*

And finally, the ones who are in love with melodic power metal of the Finnish school:
3) STRATOVARIUS! SONATA ARCTICA! etc
Hah, that is so true. Can't say I'm a fan of HIM either.

That was a great review, sums up my thoughts about the band quite well, although I don't think they sound as much as Sonata as you claim.

Terracosmo
Tue, 09-21-2004, 09:44 PM
Thanks. i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

Still think they sound almost like clones though, except Celesty has some cool medieval sounds goin' on.

Cal_kashi
Wed, 09-22-2004, 03:26 AM
Atreyu baby! theres nothing better than listing to Butterfly kisses and suicide notes during a Bike race (while im raacing ) and screaming FUCK OFF GOODBYE! whien a competitor is near me and scaring the shit out of him =)

Swallow Your Soul
Wed, 09-22-2004, 09:59 AM
I don't think anyone here listens to Mushroomhead (possibly my favourite metal band at the moment) but J Mann quit i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif...damn, one of my favourite favourite bands and this happens...I can't see them being the same without both singers...they had a perfect balance dammit! Hopefully they'll be able to find a good replacement...

PossiblE
Wed, 09-22-2004, 02:58 PM
Mushroomhead isn't metal, they are mallcore.

r3n
Wed, 09-22-2004, 08:42 PM
not keen on them at all, infact id go so far as to say they suck. but meh, thats my opinion. i like emo, so what do i know i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

dashboard confessional and arch enemy mmmm, good mix!

Swallow Your Soul
Thu, 09-23-2004, 06:13 PM
Mushroomhead isn't metal, they are mallcore.

K...

I don't think anyone here listens to Mushroomhead (possibly my favourite mallcore/rock/nu-metal band at the moment) but J Mann quit...

Doesn't matter to me as long as I like it, but I know some people don't like calling something like that 'metal' if it isn't the precise definition of it i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

I don't really consider such specifics in music.

Terracosmo
Thu, 09-23-2004, 06:50 PM
Today I discovered a fucking awesome new band, Turisas. They play what they call "battle metal" though the exact definition would be some kind of power/folk with growls. They make really atmospheric music and it's truly great, with big choirs and whatnot. They sound a LOT like Bal-Sagoth. Which is a big + for me i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

r3n
Thu, 09-23-2004, 07:26 PM
im happy for you!

i was thinking about metal today, cos well, ive grown tired of my inflames collection and need something else fast and heavy, but not screamy (ala inflames), to play Quake3 to. need to keep my adrenaline going i guess. so any suggestions?

Terracosmo
Thu, 09-23-2004, 07:37 PM
DRAGONFORCE! Extreme power metal, about as fast and heavy as In Flames (well not quite as heavy) but clean vocals instead of growling. Try 'em, they kick infinite amounts of ass.

r3n
Thu, 09-23-2004, 07:47 PM
mmmk thx for the recommendation, will check em out if i can find a download about i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

PossiblE
Thu, 09-23-2004, 08:00 PM
Today I discovered a fucking awesome new band, Turisas. They play what they call "battle metal" though the exact definition would be some kind of power/folk with growls. They make really atmospheric music and it's truly great, with big choirs and whatnot. They sound a LOT like Bal-Sagoth. Which is a big + for me
Interesting, I'll have to check them out. The description sounds similar to Battlelore, check them out if you haven't.

KitKat
Sun, 09-26-2004, 08:41 PM
DRAGONFORCE! Extreme power metal, about as fast and heavy as In Flames (well not quite as heavy) but clean vocals instead of growling. Try 'em, they kick infinite amounts of ass.

Good recommendation, Terra. I downloaded some Dragonforce this week and I'm enjoying them a lot! They're pretty cool, one might even say they're hasudifhasifhpahffbawf i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

Anyone listen to After Forever? I discovered them last year, and they don't seem to be very well known. The singer chick is an opera singer, and it adds an interesting dynamic to the music.

PossiblE
Mon, 09-27-2004, 02:39 PM
Turisas turned out to be pretty damn good, recommend any songs Terra?

Terracosmo
Mon, 09-27-2004, 03:41 PM
@PossiblE: Turisas is indeed very awesome, my favorite song with them is Battle Metal but I like their albums as wholes and not invidual songs actually.

@KitKat: Of course they are hasudifhasifhpahffbawf! My taste is supreme. i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif DragonForce is insanely cool.
After Forever is not unknown at all, in fact, they are among the most popular bands in Holland from which they hail. The singer Floor Jansen also has a sister in another metal band, unfortunately I forgot which. They are often compared to Nightwish, but vastly inferior if you ask me.

I'm currently listening to Rammstein's new album "Reise, Reise". The german industrial band delivers quality music as always. Love 'em!

r3n
Mon, 09-27-2004, 05:34 PM
terra, i got a CD of dragonforce, thx for recommending them, once again i have the adrenaline rush i need! loving the melodies

Terracosmo
Mon, 09-27-2004, 05:37 PM
I figured you'd like it. i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

r3n
Mon, 09-27-2004, 05:41 PM
anything else to recommend of similar heaviness? ive jst fixed my sennheisers and need something to blast through them. also im starting to hear properly again, so i gotta fix that.

Terracosmo
Mon, 09-27-2004, 06:09 PM
Anything along the lines of DragonForce is hard to say because they are very unique.

But if you want more heavy stuff with the catchyness of In Flames, try Norther and the 2 recent Children of Bodom albums.

PossiblE
Mon, 09-27-2004, 06:24 PM
It you want speed, and don't mind growling vocals try some Black Dahlia Murder and Kataklysm.

r3n
Tue, 09-28-2004, 07:19 AM
will see what i can find thx

Terracosmo
Tue, 09-28-2004, 09:50 AM
Is anyone other than me a big sucker for folk metal? I love it SOOO much. I just love folk music, mixing it with metal is brilliance.

Some of the best folk metal bands:

Mago de Oz
Elvenking
Skyclad
Finntroll
Ensiferum
Wuthering Heights

Feel free to add more...