PDA

View Full Version : Level of Ninja in Naruto...

thebaze
Wed, 05-05-2004, 05:08 PM
So, this is what I get from the episodes

1. Hokage
2. Sannin & some Rogue types like Itachi & Orochimaru
3. Anbu & Hunter Nin
4. Jounin
5. Chuunin
6. Genin
6. Academy students.

Is this about right? I'm not quite sure where Jounin stand.... And the levels don't always mean definitive superiority. For example, Oro killed the 3rd so to speak.

Vagabond
Wed, 05-05-2004, 05:13 PM
hm i would put Jounin over Anbu/Hunter-nin/Special Jounin.

Shuurai
Wed, 05-05-2004, 05:18 PM
i would say for the ranks in Konoha

1. Hokage
2. Sannin
3. Jounin
4. Anbu
5. Chuunin
6. Genin
7. Student

Krbadass
Wed, 05-05-2004, 05:19 PM
Sannin can be over hokage. So id say

1. Kage - Sannin
2. Jounin
3. ANBU
4.Chuunin
5.Genin
5.Student
7.Sakura

Aeon
Wed, 05-05-2004, 06:01 PM
I would agree with Shuurai list, but I admit Krbadass's number 7 is funny.

Cal_kashi
Wed, 05-05-2004, 06:16 PM
does Konohamaru fit between student and Sakura?

NM
Wed, 05-05-2004, 06:23 PM
I think its more like:
1) Hokage
2) Sannin
3) Jounin/ANBU
4) Chuunin
5) Genin
6) Student
7) Heh, for the hell of it, Sakura (nice one Krbadass, lol).

I put Jounin and ANBU together because I think they are both on par with each other. I dunno if I can agree with Krbadass on Sannin being with Hokage. Being a Hokage means being the BEST Ninja in the entire village. When I say best, I dont mean like just in terms of the most powerful ninjutsu. They have to be equal in everything like spirit, wisdom, knowledge, endurance, etc. Jiraya is a Sannin but he refused the job because he said he wouldn't be good because he was lazy.

thebaze
Wed, 05-05-2004, 06:23 PM
Konohamaru is going to grow up to be badass i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif lol @ Sakura.

Krbadass
Wed, 05-05-2004, 06:27 PM
Well, Oro is a sannin, he took the strongest of the kages. so theres your proof. They aren't called Legendary ninjas for anything, and as you've seen. All of them are strong enough to be kages because they wanted them to be in 81

NM
Wed, 05-05-2004, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by: Krbadass
Well, Oro is a sannin, he took the strongest of the kages. so theres your proof. They aren't called Legendary ninjas for anything, and as you've seen. All of them are strong enough to be kages because they wanted them to be in 81

You have a good point there. Guess I didnt think of that.

chambers
Wed, 05-05-2004, 06:50 PM
i think hokage dwarfs the sannin title in trms of everything really. i think you have to rememeber that you are basing your rankings off of ONE battle and ONE hokage and ONE sannin. the hokage trained the sannin right? yes fair enough they should eventually surpass them, but in the normal run of events we have to take into consideration that the 4th would still be around and we MUST assuem that because he was chosen OVER oro that he was stronger. also you must work into account that the sannin rank or name most likley (if it referes to ninja trained by the hokage or future hokage) referes to them at the time of training. as they all seemingly left the village except the 4th none of them advanced to the point where perhaps they would be called elders, so the name stuck. it most likley no longer reflects there abilitys which have improved with age.

Lenas
Wed, 05-05-2004, 07:29 PM
Wrong, Orochimaru killed two kages (ho- and kaze-kages), which means at least one Sannin is strong enough to be a kage. After Sarutobi died, Juraiya was asked to be hokage, which means he's strong enough as well. But, as you well know, he said Tsunade would be an even better hokage, so she's strong too. On another note, Sarutobi did not choose the Yondaime over Orochimaru because of strength. He said that he could sense the evil in Orochimaru and that he felt it would be best to not put him in a position of power.

NoKKiE
Wed, 05-05-2004, 07:31 PM
sannin isn't a rank... it's more the 3 legendary ninjas, there aren't going to be anymore ninjas refered to as the sannin and they are all different strengths, so i dont think it should be counted in a list of rankings

Rek
Wed, 05-05-2004, 07:52 PM
wait wait wait... sannin are all different strengths, so they shouldn't be counted in the rankings... but, there are ::head explodes::

all ninja's are of different rankings. and these are 3 of the most important shinob... so, they should be counted.

chambers
Wed, 05-05-2004, 08:15 PM
lenas your being naive. he didnt kill ANY that you can prove. kazekage was killed, we dont even know if it was by oro, it could have been oro his right hand man and 52 sound ninjas ifor all we know. the 3rd was killed by his own technique as is plain to see. also you have to realise that the hokage is the most powerfull (or however you want to define knowledge) person in the village, therfore he is more powerfull than the sannin. just because juraiya was asked DOES NOT mean he is stronger than the 4th or even on a alevel comparable to him. think about it, if all the ninjas except konohamarou were killed then he would be the strongest therefore he would become the Hokage. then you have to factor in (like i said before) the fact that the position was forced to back track form the presumabley stronger 4th back to the 3rd. his age would have made him a alot weaker as well. if we coudl have taken the 3rd in his prime then i think its safe to say he would have won, which for all intents an puposes is what happend any way right? oro didnt not achieve his targets where as the 3rd did!

i think due to age in this case the sannin may have been as strong as the hogake this time due to age, but inreality you have to say that they cannot be as that defeats the point in being Hokage

Rek
Wed, 05-05-2004, 09:13 PM
Uhm... Hokage just means that he is the strongest in the village of Ho's (konoha) and thats about it. It doesn't mean strongest in the world, or strongest ever... just the strongest ninja in that village, who also happens to be leader.

So, he can be defeated. You stupid whore.

DrunkPotHead
Wed, 05-05-2004, 10:14 PM
Here's the proof that Jounin are > Anbu.

Kakashi = Jounin
Kabuto = Kakashi (according to orochimaru)
Kabuto owned 4 ANBU when he tried to kill sasuke in the hosopital and Kakashi interfered.

Uchiha Barles
Wed, 05-05-2004, 11:07 PM
Yeah, I'd put jounin (the ones with names anyway) above anbu anyday. Everyone has seen konoha's anbu...They're supposed to be masters of reconnaissance and assasinations, yet, they can't find an army amassing in the woods not 30 ft. away from them ("hey, is something the matter?" "no" "it must have been my imagination."....priceless) and they keep getting owned in combat, unless they're fighting tigers or something. Case in point, Kakashi can detect someone on the intent to kill alone, and also by sensing chakra. Kabuto owned the anbu in the hospital, and then the anbu got owned by the sound ninja that took orochimaru away. Can't remember anything else, but I'm sure there was more in the way pathetic performance by ANBU. It's humiliating. Jounin are definately stronger than ANBU as far as we've seen in the anime. No question at all. Almost tempted to rank sakura above them, but Itachi and kakashi were once anbu, so that's that.

DarthEnderX
Wed, 05-05-2004, 11:43 PM
You forgot whatever ANBU that Haku killed to get his mask.

The_Fourth
Thu, 05-06-2004, 12:03 AM
Hakus mask wasnt a ANBUs one, it was a hunter-nin, and there is the chance that that mask wasnt from a konoha ninja.

Stoopider
Thu, 05-06-2004, 02:09 AM
Hmm. I however have a different perception of all these,

1. Hokage
2. Jounins - Captains, or commanders
3. Job Levels/Chunnins - Anbu, Medics, Teachers(Thats why Naruto first teacher is a chunnin, not because he's stong or anything.)
4. Gennin - Still Require undersupervision of higher ranking ninja's.
5. Students

I view Chunnins as ninja's that are capable enough as in they act or their decision making is like adults. I'm sure most like Sasuke, Naruto, Neji, Rock Lee, and others are definitely strong enough to be Chunnin levels, but they are not chunnins, because they probably deem unfit as of yet to be in the 'proper' ninja's or the ninja working class.

And also, I don't see Chunnins under supervision of a higher ranking class. Jounins teach Gennins, Chunnins teach Students. Who teaches Chunnins?? (I doubt the Hokage has enough time to teach every single Chunnin) I don't think they have any teacher, therefore, they are like the working class of the ninjas. Some more talented at fighting, go become Anbu. More intelligent become Medics. Some more or less totally hopeless become teachers. Heheh.

Neji-Aniki-sama
Thu, 05-06-2004, 02:30 AM
Originally posted by: Krbadass
Sannin can be over hokage. So id say

1. Kage - Sannin
2. Jounin
3. ANBU
4.Chuunin
5.Genin
5.Student
7.Sakura

LOL!!!
You're perceptive...

Neji-Aniki-sama
Thu, 05-06-2004, 02:37 AM
Originally posted by: chambers
lenas your being naive. he didnt kill ANY that you can prove. kazekage was killed, we dont even know if it was by oro, it could have been oro his right hand man and 52 sound ninjas ifor all we know.e

We don't *know* , it's true. But Oro took the faces of the Kazekage and his guards to get inside Konoha.
We *know* the only way to get somebody's face using Oro's jutsu implies in killing the owner of said face.
Baki says, Orochimaru, you bastard.
It's called circusntancial evidence. People go to jail with that. Why try to deny the obvious?

Mut
Thu, 05-06-2004, 02:39 AM
Originally posted by: Stoopider
And also, I don't see Chunnins under supervision of a higher ranking class. Jounins teach Gennins, Chunnins teach Students. Who teaches Chunnins?? (I doubt the Hokage has enough time to teach every single Chunnin) I don't think they have any teacher, therefore, they are like the working class of the ninjas. Some more talented at fighting, go become Anbu. More intelligent become Medics. Some more or less totally hopeless become teachers. Heheh.

this is what i think: chuunins are still taught by their senseis until they reach almost-jounin status and i think they go train by themselves. unless they want to become exam proctors, teachers, etc. like iruka sensei.

Augury
Thu, 05-06-2004, 04:23 AM
If chuunins are still taught by their sensei then it'd be logical that those would have to be jounin/special jounin (Ebisu types). When the 3rd Hokage had that meeting with the jounins prior and during the chuunin exam there were only a roomful of them. I'm thinking that chuunins probably aren't "main" students of their former sensei so to speak but probably receive some guidance so that the teacher-jounin doesn't have to spend much time on them.

Otherwise, if it's one jounin teacher per 3 genin/chuunin ninjas then there aren't many ninjas in Konoha for a country / village that's considered the dominant force in the Naruto world. Besides, don't those jounins have to go out in miscellaneous missions and whatnot? It seems that the ones teaching the genins are taking a break from missions to develop the youth. (i.e. Kakashi saying he hadn't been in such a dangerous fight when vs'ing Zabuza or when he thought to himself that his body weakened during mountain climbing)

Rek
Thu, 05-06-2004, 06:22 AM
Originally posted by: The_Fourth
Hakus mask wasnt a ANBUs one, it was a hunter-nin, and there is the chance that that mask wasnt from a konoha ninja.

yeah... there's a very good chance, because there were HIDDEN MIST markings on the forhead.

Anyways, yeah, it'd make sence that Jounin still help with their Chuunin students, but I think they would even if it wasn't traditional, because they develop a close bond, as seen with the Hokage Oro fight...

And not all Jounin teach genin. Remember Ino's dad? And all the others? They are simply reserved for fighting.

photonic
Thu, 05-06-2004, 12:13 PM
I'm going to say it goes:

1. Kages - Sannin - Strong Missing-Nin(i.e Itachi)
2. Jounin
3. Anbu/Hunter Nin
4. Chuunin
5. Gennin
6. Students

I think as far as Kage vs. Sannin it just depends. Because, if you remember, no sannin was chosen to be the 4th hokage. On the other hand though, that could have been due to personality conflicts. Then, a sannin killed 2 kages and we still don't know how Orochimaru compares to Jiraiya and Tsunade but Jiraiya didn't seem to be particularly scared of Orochimaru.

And not all Jounin teach genin. Remember Ino's dad? And all the others? They are simply reserved for fighting.

How do we know they're Jounin? Did it say?

Mut
Thu, 05-06-2004, 12:16 PM
i don't remember a scene where orochimaru and jiraiya faced each other.

Assertn
Thu, 05-06-2004, 12:31 PM
no no, ANBU is a class, not a rank
jounins and probably chuunins can choose to be anbu if they want....or they can be teachers, or just do some freelance missions

after all, ibiki is a jounin, yet he is also the head of the interrogations section of ANBU

v Response to below: even IF anbu was a rank, then it wouldnt be higher than jounins....since kabuto could kill 10 of them easily and he's the same strength as kakashi. And further proof that anbu isnt a rank, is that just as those anbu were weaker than higher level jounins, there exist the hunter variety that even zabuza and haku fear

tensai
Thu, 05-06-2004, 12:33 PM
they never fought, Jiraiya just shrugs off the idea that Oro is around and comments on how crappy of a job Oro has done on the seal he put on Naruto - maybe showing that he is better than him

heres my list:
1. Kage, Sannin, some Missing-Nin
2. Anbu/hunter nins
3. jounin/special jounin
4. chuunin
5. genin
6. student
7. civilian

the reason why i put anbu, and hunter nins above jounin because they are the assasination squad with special operations. they should be powerful enough to go against others that are powerful. If, say an anbu was chuunin level, and he/she was sent on a task to assasinate a jounin missing nin, but he was found out and the jounin went after him. He'd be screwed.
i think special jounins are just jounins with special tasks assigned to them, nothing special really

Rek
Thu, 05-06-2004, 01:22 PM
they never fought, Jiraiya just shrugs off the idea that Oro is around and comments on how crappy of a job Oro has done on the seal he put on Naruto - maybe showing that he is better than him

except oro put no seal on Naruto... actually, he didn't put a curse on anyone...

Kakashi put a seal on the curse oro put on sasuke, but thats it.

How do we know they're Jounin? Did it say?

No. I just typed out a good paragraph or two in my defence, about chuunin costumes, when I realized their parents could have been wearing street clothes.
They never say they are jounin, but by how they were fighting, and how old they must be, they probably are.

thebaze
Thu, 05-06-2004, 01:53 PM
actually oro did put a seal around the nine tails seal (during the 2nd chuunin test in the forest) so naruto couldnt control his chakra as well. the perverted hermit removed it.

no, you don't know that they're jounin. just b/c they can fight doesnt put them at that level.

as i said in the original post, i dont think the levels are distinct. they can definitely be crossed in terms of individual ninja ability. i also think that the 3rd actually was stronger than oro even up to the end, he just wasnt quite able to finish the job. oro used a forbidden jutsu which gave him the advantage at the start but still got his arse kicked. he just got lucky that the 3rd wasnt able to finish the seal jutsu. if you look at it another way it was worse than killing oro, forcing him to live w/out his abilies.

avmoghe
Thu, 05-06-2004, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by: chambers
i think hokage dwarfs the sannin title in trms of everything really. i think you have to rememeber that you are basing your rankings off of ONE battle and ONE hokage and ONE sannin. the hokage trained the sannin right? yes fair enough they should eventually surpass them, but in the normal run of events we have to take into consideration that the 4th would still be around and we MUST assuem that because he was chosen OVER oro that he was stronger. also you must work into account that the sannin rank or name most likley (if it referes to ninja trained by the hokage or future hokage) referes to them at the time of training. as they all seemingly left the village except the 4th none of them advanced to the point where perhaps they would be called elders, so the name stuck. it most likley no longer reflects there abilitys which have improved with age.

Nah.. Orochimaru was the the 3rds FIRST choice for being Hokage.. over the 4th Hokage, over Jiraiya, over Tsunade. The only reason he wasn't picked was because he was killing his own people. If he wasn't, Orochimaru wouldve been the 4th Hokage.

So, I agree with Krbadass's ranking

1. Kage - Sannin
2. Jounin
3. ANBU
4.Chuunin
5.Genin
5.Student
7.Sakura

The_Guru
Thu, 05-06-2004, 02:18 PM
ok first of all......sannin should be ranked lower than the Hokage. the reason why is because the only reason Orochimaru was able to beat the 3rd was cuz he was old and decrepit. if Oro faced the 3rd in his prime, then he would have definitely been owned. (that flashback when the 3rd fought Oro does not mean anything cuz the 3rd was not willing to kill Oro at the time). AND.....the Kage of Konoha is probably the strongest of the Kage's because Konoha is the strongest/largest ninja village in the continent. that's why so many people go to Konoha to have missions completed. so this is my ranking:

1. Hokage
2. Sannin
3. Jounin
4. ANBU
5. Chuunin
6. Genin
7. Student

kaigan
Thu, 05-06-2004, 02:59 PM
uhhh.... yea, Oro took on the hokage when the guy is going to die soon. They even said if he was 10 years younger, he would pwn Orochimaru's ass like no other. So you can't put Hokage and Sannin together cause sannin is weaker.

Krbadass
Thu, 05-06-2004, 04:55 PM
Your wrong. Ok. Wrong. The evidence has proven it already. Jiraiya and Tsunade are sannin and were asked to be hokage, meaning they are on the same level if they qualify for it. Is that not enough proof for you??? Baka..

LostAngel
Thu, 05-06-2004, 05:23 PM
Hmmm I think that Sannin can be as powerful as Hokage.... there can be only a few Kages at a time.. when there can be a lot of Sannin. So to me Sannin is someone who is as powerful as a Kage just doesn't carry the title.

So, I agree with Krbadass's ranking

1. Kage - Sannin
2. Jounin
3. ANBU
4.Chuunin
5.Genin
5.Student
7.Sakura

Agree with the above ranking =D

MemnochTheCaT
Thu, 05-06-2004, 05:24 PM
There can't be a lot of Sannin .. only 3 .. hence the name SAN NIN (3 Ninja)

Krbadass
Thu, 05-06-2004, 05:24 PM
Thank you.

LostAngel
Thu, 05-06-2004, 05:40 PM
okay but my point was that there 1 Kage 3 Sannin.... and none of them might not even be one, just means they are just as powerful. That they are on the same level. Well at least that is what it means to me.

MemnochTheCaT
Thu, 05-06-2004, 06:24 PM
There are more than 3 kages .. because there are more than 3 villages with kages. There are not more than 3 sannin, because the definition of sannin is 3 ninjas. Jiraiya and Tsunade both had left Konoha, so I also do not believe that the sannin necessarily have to be from Konoha, that was just the way it turned out. But yes, there are more living sannin than there are hokages i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

Aeon
Thu, 05-06-2004, 06:34 PM
Even at Hokage old age I don't think Oro was a match for him considering he had to use the 1st and 2nd to get some kind of advantage and still came out of the battle which was for him a fate worst then death. Anyway aren't there 10kages total(5 great villages/5 small villages) but only 4 that we know of(Hokage, Kazekage,Mizukage,Oro). I remember the map showing 10symbols.

DraGunZer0
Thu, 05-06-2004, 06:53 PM
Not to interfere in your debate on the ninja ranks but... wasn't this topic about Naruto's ninja level?

Other than that i believe Krbadass is right.... simply because he pwns people with his sig bwhahahahahaha (and I have observed that he has cleared up many questions older posts.)

Gods_Son
Thu, 05-06-2004, 07:07 PM
The topic was never about Naruto specifically, try reading the first post for an answer. With Ninja ranking, Sannin are about the same as Kage, then Jounin, Anbu/Hunter, Chunnin, Genin, and Academy Students. There are always exceptions in each group, but in general, that seems right.

logic
Thu, 05-06-2004, 08:55 PM
1. Kage/Sannin
2. Jounin/Select Anbu
3. Anbu
4. Chuunin
5. Genin
6. Academy Students
7. Drop-outs
8. Butterflies
9. Rabbits
83293. dirt
83294. Sakura

ANBU is not a ranking system but a class available to those who are qualified.

Yes, Kakashi and Kabuto are both stronger than most ANBU.

Itachi could kick Kabuto's ass, and we'll find out about Kakashi, because no spoilers. Itachi could kick most jounins ass easily, even orichimaru.. and.. Look at the ending (the preview) of ep 81.

Itachi became the leader of an ANBU squad at age 13.

There are ANBU who are stronger then other anbu, just like there are Jounin who are stronger then other jounin, genin who are stronger then other genin.

For instance, Neji, a genin, could kick Sakura's ass, also a genin.

Stereotyping a class is a mistake, and thinking that all who belong to a particular class/group/rank are the same in power and ability, is an even bigger mistake.

Furthermore, Orichimaru did not kill the 3rd, the 3rd willingly performed a technique that he was fully aware would take his own life.

Mut
Fri, 05-07-2004, 12:41 PM
orochimaru actually did kill the 3rd. obviously he didn't do it himself directly, but he caused the 3rd to do a technique that took his own life. basically orochimaru forced death upon the 3rd. it shouldn't matter whether the death was involuntary or voluntary, the 3rd died because of orochimaru.

avmoghe
Fri, 05-07-2004, 02:17 PM
agreed... Orochimaru put the 3rd Hokage in a position where he had no choice but to use the sealing technique. Its used when up against people stronger than you.. like the 4th hokage against Kyuubi.

Third Hokage vs. Orochimaru when the 3rd Hokage was in his prime... I would definitely like to see that fight i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

GLS
Fri, 05-07-2004, 09:58 PM
you can rank the levels of ninja in Naruto, but it just isnt a perfect template for determining which ninjas are best.
(please bare with me here)
i.e. Naruto could be the strongest person in Konoha, but never become even a Chunnin, only because he doesnt meet the full requirements of a Chunnin. Just because you cant lead teams into battle doesnt mean you are a bad fighter.

Jchiang87
Sat, 05-08-2004, 02:52 AM
ok, so if..

Orochimaru = or > 3rd hokage and Jiraiya can = Hokage.

and Jiraiya Orochimaru and Tsunade are the same

but Itachi is stronger then Orochimaru that makes.

1. Itachi higher lvl then Hokage?

o_O?

r3n
Sat, 05-08-2004, 04:24 AM
hokage > sannin. if the 3rd had been in his youth he woulda wiped the floor with oros ass. altho oro could kill kazekage, but thats cos hes crap

Enigmatic_Paragon
Mon, 05-10-2004, 12:05 PM
I think most of you are confusing occupations, rankings and general names.

Sannin = Collective reference to Orochimaru, Jiraiya and Tsunade, due to their achievements. Its not a rank.

ANBU = Comprised of jounins and chunnins. Its more of an occupation as opposed to a rank.

Hence, I think the ranking order should be:

(Ho)Kage
Jounin
-> Special Jounin (Not much information on these, but I'm assuming they're a cut below normal jounins)
Chuunin
Gennin
->Student (doesnt really count)

Also consider that the ranks are more of a guideline as to the capabilities of a particular ninja as opposed to a hard and fast rule.

Hence, if we add the information we would get this: The Sannin are presumeably all jounin rank. They just happen to be far stronger than the average jounin - indeed you could argue that theyre probably stronger than some Kages.

******* - MINOR SPOILER - *******

Itachi is apparently a chunnin. However that doesnt change the fact he is the strongest character we've encountered so far (In the anime).

******* - END OF SPOILER - *******

So, if I were to put together a list with both ranks and people/occupations, on the basis of their power it would look something like:

Kage | -> Sannin, Itachi
Jounin
Special Jounin | -> ANBU
Chuunin
Gennin

Note: the "| ->" indicates that the following is NOT a rank.

LostAngel
Mon, 05-10-2004, 01:16 PM
******* - MINOR SPOILER - *******

Itachi is apparently a chunnin. However that doesnt change the fact he is the strongest character we've encountered so far (In the anime).

******* - END OF SPOILER - *******

***minor spoiler** *

I thought Kakashi said that he was an ANBU leader at the age of 13 in ep 82??

****end****

=D

SK
Mon, 05-10-2004, 02:52 PM
what doesnt seem to make since is that ANBU's job is to protect the village and the Hokage, which makes me think they *should* be the strongest ninja in the village, but theyre apparently not. also sannin should be included as a rank in itself given to oro, tsunade, and jiraiya. also itachi is a freak of nature.

1.Hokage
2.Sannin/Itachi
3.Jounin/ANBU
4.Chunnin
5.Genin
6.Students