PDA

View Full Version : significance of the rings in episode 81?

redfather
Mon, 05-03-2004, 04:30 PM
can someone who understands japanese please translate the character on orochimaru's ring for me? anbu-aone already took care of itachi and sharky's rings but neglected to translate oro's. please help...

Kumiriko
Mon, 05-03-2004, 04:32 PM
I dint see the translations. where were they listed?

Screen shots be best i guess

Everon
Mon, 05-03-2004, 04:35 PM
I tried looking at iti, but its too dark for me to tell what the character looks like.

Edit: ok i brightened up the video image, in chinese it means "kong" means air / empty / hollow, but of course thats the chinese translation, so I might be wrong.

hope that helps

Kumiriko
Mon, 05-03-2004, 04:45 PM
Oh ok i saw em. and i saw oro's ring quite clearly. just wish i could translate it. maybe i should get a sceen shot.

SpankyDaM
Mon, 05-03-2004, 04:59 PM
Just to drop in a prediction.... given the japanese historical / mythical references that have been identified so far I would bet that there are 5 rings in total, with 2 rings and their owners still to be identified. The full list of rings would be the same as that of the 5 sections in 'Go Rin No Sho' - The Book of 5 Rings written by Miyamoto Musashi.

If you're interested I've googled and found an online copy of it here - http://www.samurai.com/5rings/

It's interesting reading on the whole japanese warrior philosophy, and also followed by a lot of modern-day japanese businessmen. If you haven't come across it before then it's interesting reading, if you're studying a martial art it should be required reading.

Anyhow - just wanted to share the prediction, and something else that I found really interesting

Pyron
Mon, 05-03-2004, 05:40 PM
whatever they mean, i want one!

Neji-Aniki-sama
Mon, 05-03-2004, 05:58 PM
There's a site that explains each and everyone of them.
But the explanation is on the Manga section, so I won't post the link here.

Assertn
Mon, 05-03-2004, 06:47 PM
the rings prolly refer to the organization that oro was talkin about

oro's = sky
kisame's = south
itachi's = crimson (or some reddish color)

if im not mistaken

SK
Mon, 05-03-2004, 06:53 PM
yeah he had it right except Itachi's is scarlet.

Shuurai
Mon, 05-03-2004, 06:57 PM
yeah i agree they probally do have something to do with that organisation but i think those rings arnt just for show maybe there colour or name is a different element. For example crimson i would associiate this with red red being fire oro's maybe wind or something like that kisames could be a water type considering hes a shark and in episode 81 used a water element attack

Rek
Mon, 05-03-2004, 07:08 PM
well, of course they are about that organization... I just wanna know where south comes in... it just doesn't make sence yet...

The_Fourth
Mon, 05-03-2004, 07:22 PM
I have read parts of Musashis book, but as some of you concluded thay might be some sort of an element or a rank in the organization orochimaru refers to.

Assertn
Mon, 05-03-2004, 07:37 PM
the site neji-aniki referred to explains the whole significance of the ring names......its more of a connection to some japanese historical/mythological deallie, and prolly has no other meaning than that

Everon
Mon, 05-03-2004, 09:59 PM
Well if you noticed, Oro and Itachi's rings are red, while Kisume is yellow. Speculation here: perhaps it deals with a ranking system within the organization. Red being higher than Yellow...

Or another way could be by category:
Division X: North, East, South, West...NE, SE, SW, NW (?)
Division Y: Scarlet, Blue, Yellow, Green, White...
Division Z: Sky, Fire, Earth...

Or maybe...it doesn't mean a damn thing