PDA

View Full Version : Which Port for Which Download?

Tachikoma
Thu, 04-29-2004, 03:35 PM
I've just downloaded BitTornado, and found that I now have load of options that I never got with BitTorrent. Tornado says that it uses ports from 6881 to 6999. At the moment, the only BT port I've opened on the firewall is 6969, as this is the one stated on BoxTorrents ( from where I get the majority of my torrents).
However, my BT downloads don't seem to be going much, if any, faster than they normally do. I understand that d/l rates depend on the number of seeders and peers, etc, but I know that opening ports also helps - this is assuming that different torrents use different ports, seeing as BT uses a range of them.

The only problem with this is that I can only open 20 ports on the hub at any one time (and most are already in use), far too few to open all the BT ports. My question, then, is whether or not there is any way I can find out which port(s) a specific torrent is using, so that I can only said port(s) and optimise my downloads (like the 4.3Gb one I've got going now).

Any help apprieciated i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

kage_bunshin
Mon, 05-03-2004, 08:53 PM
i would recommend to open somewhere between 6881 to 6889

Tachikoma
Mon, 05-03-2004, 09:06 PM
Ah, 6881-6889 rings a bell. So what's 6969 going on about then? Tracker port or something?

kage_bunshin
Tue, 05-04-2004, 06:32 AM
i'm not really in to this port stuff, but usually 6969 is the port for the torrent.
it doesn't relate to us i think. just open 6881 to 6889

stos289
Thu, 05-13-2004, 06:25 PM
Yeah, just forward ports 6881-6999, that will greatly increase your download speed.

jdub
Tue, 05-18-2004, 08:51 PM
forward ports 6881-6999 in ascending order to your comp. Also keep an eye out on Shadow's core, hes working on multiple connections over a single port for the future, a nifty feature for people with limited port forwarding abilities.

I have yet to see a client that allows you to specify which ports to use for a given torrent, unless its ABC. I haven't used it for awile now so I'm rusty on its feature set.

Of course you can always download as many as you want, but your speed will be greatly decreased by your inability to connect to people who don't have all the torrents data. even if they have chunks of the file you don't.

EDIT: Clarity