PDA

View Full Version : Open Router Ports

Nitrous
Sun, 04-25-2004, 06:34 PM
Ok I read a few other topics that said that for bittorrent to run better on a router you need to open the ports 6881-6889. Well unfortunately I'm not allowed that because my parents are worried that we will be vulnerable to hacker threats or something like that. I would just go into the config pannel and do it myself, but he changed the password (its not just "admin" anymore). Is there anyother way I can have bittorrent acces the ports it needs? The router is a Linksys btw. Thanks.

kage_bunshin
Mon, 04-26-2004, 08:29 AM
I'm not a total expert at this, but yeah you do i think.
Just convince your parents to open those ports. If you install a software firewall such as zonealarm it should protect against hacker threats on those ports. i'm not too sure though

kaleyeope
Mon, 05-03-2004, 06:04 PM
Ok, I am not an official or anything but...

Your torrents should still run regardless of if you get those ports open or not. They will likely run much slower since you wont be connecting with as many seeds and leachers as possible.

I'll assume you have a basic type Linksys router (likely the wireless w/ 4 port switch, that seems really popular). You should be enabling port forwarding to just your machine. If you can convince your parents that their computers will not be comprimised and that you will be on the lookout with your own, you might be able to get them to do this.

Besides that, there isn't really another option. A software firewall works simularly to the Linksys one your parents already have. You would still have to make sure that access is opened up for the bittorrent clients.

When I went home for Easter break, I took my laptop and connected through my parents connection. They didn't want me messing with the configurations, so I connected to the VPN that I have through my job. That worked really well.

K.

SK
Thu, 05-20-2004, 09:30 PM
i was wondering how i open these ports that can possibly make downloads go faster. im also using a linksys router, like the one mentioned. im the admin on my comp so i just need some directions or a link or w/e. ty

Ciber
Thu, 05-20-2004, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by: Nitrous
Ok I read a few other topics that said that for bittorrent to run better on a router you need to open the ports 6881-6889. Well unfortunately I'm not allowed that because my parents are worried that we will be vulnerable to hacker threats or something like that. I would just go into the config pannel and do it myself, but he changed the password (its not just "admin" anymore). Is there anyother way I can have bittorrent acces the ports it needs? The router is a Linksys btw. Thanks.

Hold the reset button in the back for like 10 seconds and it'll reset the router to factory defaults. i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

kage_bunshin
Fri, 05-21-2004, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by: Ciber

Originally posted by: Nitrous

Hold the reset button in the back for like 10 seconds and it'll reset the router to factory defaults. i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

hehe cheeky ciber i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif