PDA

View Full Version : Legal or ilegal?

xgemini13
Sat, 04-24-2004, 06:02 PM
ok, im just tryin to be safe here, but are any of the anime downloads piracy?

BigR
Sat, 04-24-2004, 07:49 PM
If an anime is not licensed by a U.S. company, it is legal to download. Naruto is legal.
If an anime is licensed by a U.S. company, it is illegal to download. Dragonball Z is illegal.

Xollence
Sun, 04-25-2004, 12:59 AM
I guess it all depends which country you're in. Pretty much everything AOne and these fansubs sub are legal to download.

Swallow Your Soul
Sun, 04-25-2004, 10:00 AM
Yeah, hence why as soon as GitS:SAC got licensed all the groups who were subbing it at the time (as far as I know...I don't know much about subbing groups) suddenly stopped...then thankfully Laughing Man and other groups started doing it...

I still think its stupid how it costs £20 rrp (thats 20 POUNDS in case it doesn't come out on the forum....that works out at about $36 USD) or £15 off Play for 3 fucking episodes of most series (eg Bubblegum Crisis, Vampire Princess Miyu...plus loads of other ones that I still want to see). You could get an entire series of Family Guy for about the same price! How they expect people to support them when they're ripping people off like that I'll never know...

Its especially stupid with GitS:SAC because that isn't even available in this country...so to download it they consider you to be stealing, yet you can't legally buy it either...stupid country...I hear you can actually get an anime channel in America...stuffy gits! Closest we get is Pokemon and Card Captor Sakura (daft childrens shows) or Evangelion (which is shown at 4am on the Sci Fi channel!)...

</rant>

But yeah generally anything AonE do is pretty much legal as far as I know...

f4ever
Sun, 04-25-2004, 10:24 AM
Actually...... by international trade laws, all anime downloads, whether they are licensed in the US or not is illegal.
However, the Japanese anime industry doesn't really care all that much if US unlicensed stuff is pirated as it serves as a form of free promotion for them.
^_^' So therefore anything on www.animesuki.com is more or less legal. Anime downloads of US licensed series is completely illegal and is extremely frowned upon except for the case where only part of the anime is licensed and you're downloading the unlicensed part.

--Fuzz

Tachikoma
Sun, 04-25-2004, 12:16 PM
Card Captor Sakura (daft childrens shows)

I like Card Captor Sakura. Pity the Brits renamed it to Cardcaptors for our simple-minded kids.

I'm guessing from the rest of your post that you're residing in the UK? If so, I can understand about how retarded our laws are regarding downloading. Myself, I'm not paying, for example, £17 for a disc of Noir, at a total of 7 discs, when I can download it for free. The same is true of Evangelion - I couldn't be bothered waiting for the discs to be released in the UK at £20 a go, so I bought the Japanese/Australian R2 boxset from www.cdwow.com (a HK-based company) for £55, and £10 for each of the films (all with the real boxart, not the UK crap). You can get the BGC 2040 boxset from CDWow for £45.

Failing that, you can buy loads of anime boxsets off eBay for £30+ (the whole of Ranma ½ or Card Captor Sakura are about £100 each). However, under UK law, is all of this importing considered illegal, as we're effectively screwing over the British government and economy?

The way I look at it, we demand and they don't supply, so what else are we to do except import or download? This is one reason why I'm running off to Australia and Japan when I finish Uni. I just can't deal with Britain anymore.

Swallow Your Soul
Sun, 04-25-2004, 06:55 PM
Indeed I am British...yeah I get most stuff from ebay like Hellsing and stuff...it'd probably be possible to buy from yesasia as well as they're pretty good...I got Hellsing and I'm not sure if its imported or just made by some guy in his room but either way its really cool...

I have to admit I criticised Cardcapter in ignorance...I've seen kids buying cards and stuff and it seemed like the new pokemon (which I have seen....and it made me want to kill people i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif) and dragonball (I know loads of people love that show but I saw an episode and it was dire...though a mate told me that was one of the newer shows and the old ones were really good...) so I kinda made a generalisation and put it in the same category...it just sounded a similar premise to pokemon though I have no idea what its really like i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif

And yeah whoever is responsible for the pricing in Britain is well out of order...they just charge insane prices...£15 would be a tolerable deal for 8 episodes at the absolute minimum (unless the extras are numerous and actually good to watch)...but £5 per episode with NO extras on a site which is usually cheaper than rrp is just wrong!

TheReaper
Sun, 05-09-2004, 02:53 PM
An article at animesuki.com very well explains about fansubs.
That article can be found here: http://www.animesuki.com/doc.php/licensed/

Xollence
Thu, 05-13-2004, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by: Swallow Your Soul

I hear you can actually get an anime channel in America...stuffy gits! Closest we get is Pokemon and Card Captor Sakura (daft childrens shows) or Evangelion (which is shown at 4am on the Sci Fi channel!)...

Actually cartoon network has a good amount of anime other than pokemon and the other crap.

Swallow Your Soul
Thu, 05-13-2004, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by: Xollence

Originally posted by: Swallow Your Soul

I hear you can actually get an anime channel in America...stuffy gits! Closest we get is Pokemon and Card Captor Sakura (daft childrens shows) or Evangelion (which is shown at 4am on the Sci Fi channel!)...

Actually cartoon network has a good amount of anime other than pokemon and the other crap.

The American Cartoon Network or the English one? As I understand it they are very different (I believe the American one even plays stuff like Futurama)...I watched it when I was much younger but not recently...I'll have a look just in case but last I heard the only anime you could get on CN was pretty much dragonball...

Xollence
Fri, 05-14-2004, 03:07 AM
Nah they show a lot of anime, especially at night time, during adult swim.

SK
Fri, 05-14-2004, 02:09 PM
cn on saturday nights, dbgt, gundam seed, inuyasha, wolf's rain, fooly cooly, inuyasha, cowboy bebop, repeat. and on weeknights they show inuyasha and cowboy bebop i think.

Swallow Your Soul
Fri, 05-14-2004, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by: Xollence
Nah they show a lot of anime, especially at night time, during adult swim.

Yeah but is that the American version? The version of Cartoon Network we get in the UK is very different to the American one. I don't think we even get adult swim on UK Cartoon Network.

I've checked the TV guide and the only animeish thing I could find was something called Beyblade...like I say, I think its just the American version as our version is very different (in the same way that MTV is different in the UK than it is in America.

Edit - response to Sharingan...according to the TV guide, this is the line up for Saturday from 6pm onwards for Cartoon Network in the UK:

18:00 The Magic Pudding
19:30 Ozzy and Drix
20:00 Dexter's Laboratory
20:30 Codename: Kids Next Door
21:00 Beyblade
21:30 The Powerpuff Girls
22:00 Ed, Edd 'n' Eddy
22:25 Xiaolin Showdown
22:50 Ozzy and Drix
23:15 Codename: Kids Next Door
23:35 The Cramp Twins
00:00 Fat Dog Mendoza
00:20 Ned's Newt
00:45 Dexter's Laboratory
01:00 Spaced Out
01:20 The Cramp Twins
02:00 Gadget Boy
05:00 Fat Dog Mendoza
05:25 The Cramp Twins
05:35 Ned's Newt

That pretty much shows how different UK Cartoon Network is to US Cartoon Network...like I said...anime isn't as popular over here as it is in America.

HaZMaTiK
Sat, 05-22-2004, 11:56 AM
man those are classic shows ned's newt cramp twins i envy you to an exstint but yea we got a better selection even tho i do not stay up that late thx to dvr

GLS
Sun, 05-23-2004, 10:03 AM
back to the illegal/legal issue, is Japan aware of whats going on here in the states with all of these sub groups?

Munsu
Sun, 05-23-2004, 11:58 PM
They are not stupid if that's what you're asking

Swallow Your Soul
Mon, 05-24-2004, 06:51 PM
Yeah they'll definitely be aware, but if it isn't licensed then they can't do anything about it (if anything I'd consider it to be good exposure), but since licensed stuff is illegal to download then I imagine the companies would be very concerned about that, seeing as they can't rip you off by charging 100+ quid for 13 episodes (*cough* Hellsing *cough*)