PDA

View Full Version : About Naruto Failing the Genin Exam

Ganesh
Thu, 04-22-2004, 06:54 AM
ok, in the anime and manga it says that naruto failed the genin exam many times (cannot remember exact amount atm, i think it was like twice) now what i want to know is howcome the other students of the ninja academy, like sasuke or sakura, didn't move on to become a genin while naruto stayed in the academy? did they attempt to become a genin later than naruto or something. because if they didn't and giving that we know that naruto got "kept down" then they should have moved on while naruto stayed in the academy.

so what is the deal with this? did naruto start a few "grades" earlier than sasuke etc.

ok thanks

KakashiSensei
Thu, 04-22-2004, 09:03 AM
The topic is a major spoiler for those who have yet to see episode 80. if you going to make topics like this do it in the open discussion forum. Thanks, Topic moved.

XwingRob
Thu, 04-22-2004, 09:35 AM
Most likely he started several years before Sakura and Sasuke started attending.

Also, it might just be my manga reader-ness, but what spoilers are in this topic??

avalon
Thu, 04-22-2004, 09:36 AM
i think you have it a little backwards kakashisensei. Naruto is taking the chuunin exam right now, the gennin exam was the first episode of the series.

about that ganesh, it's a know plot hole. no one really knows how to explain it. why is naruto the same age as the people on his team and why doesn't people like rock lee and neji know about naruto if he's failed the year before.
Why would he have started earlier than someone like sasuke who is a genuis ninja? doesn't make a lot of sense

just sorta a detail of the series

XwingRob
Thu, 04-22-2004, 10:52 AM
I don't think its that big of a flaw. It might just be possible that Naruto was never in the same class as Rock Lee and the other older gennin. As for why Naruto started earlier, maybe he just wanted to master ninjustu so he can be recognize. Sasuke might only have started going to ninja academy because he realized that was the only way he would get at Itachi. And Sakura probaly only started attending for some girly reason.

NM
Thu, 04-22-2004, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by: avalon
i think you have it a little backwards kakashisensei. Naruto is taking the chuunin exam right now, the gennin exam was the first episode of the series.

about that ganesh, it's a know plot hole. no one really knows how to explain it. why is naruto the same age as the people on his team and why doesn't people like rock lee and neji know about naruto if he's failed the year before.
Why would he have started earlier than someone like sasuke who is a genuis ninja? doesn't make a lot of sense

just sorta a detail of the series

Avalon, he's talking about how Naruto always failed the exam at the Ninja Academy to become a Genin. Naruto always said that the final exam was to create a replication of his/herself and he always sucked at that.

Stoopider
Thu, 04-22-2004, 02:38 PM
Maybe even if they fail they still would keep on going to the next grade. Until the final graduation exam.

Or it's just Kishimoto made a mistake writing that.

PSJ
Thu, 04-22-2004, 02:43 PM
thinking about stuff like this is what reveals you. i say get a life and think about other stuff for a change.

hiten mitsurugi
Thu, 04-22-2004, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by: Pervert-Sennin Jiraiya
thinking about stuff like this is what reveals you. i say get a life and think about other stuff for a change.

I disagree. I say you should think about details like this. This will sharpen your logic skills. It will really help if you go into politics or law. If you're really strong at picking apart conversations, you'll make a lot of money. The best of luck to you bright individuals and your careers.

But to answer your question. It was never stated how old you had to be in order to join the academy. Naruto didn't have any parents so the best form of daycare would probably be at the academy. Naruto might of been there two years earlier than the genin group that he graduated with. Neji did recognize Naruto and I believe that Kiba did too.

avalon
Thu, 04-22-2004, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by: NarutoMaster

Avalon, he's talking about how Naruto always failed the exam at the Ninja Academy to become a Genin. Naruto always said that the final exam was to create a replication of his/herself and he always sucked at that.[/quote]

thats exactly what i'm talking about. the first episode is the gennin exam. he fails it because he cant replicate. but the question is, if he has failed many times, why is he the same age as people like sasuke who passed on the first try.

like i said its a known plot hole, and i believe that it's said that he's been in the same class as sasuke and sakura since the start.

hiten mitsurugi

kiba was in the same graduating class as kiba. i dont remember neji recognizing him though. that was that in the anime?

Mut
Thu, 04-22-2004, 04:20 PM
i think naruto entered the school earlier than others since he had no parents to give him advice.

XwingRob
Thu, 04-22-2004, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by: hiten mitsurugi

But to answer your question. It was never stated how old you had to be in order to join the academy. Naruto didn't have any parents so the best form of daycare would probably be at the academy. Naruto might of been there two years earlier than the genin group that he graduated with. Neji did recognize Naruto and I believe that Kiba did too.

Yeah Naruto was in the same class as Kiba was, but can you point out where Neji recognizes Naruto?

originalkrn
Thu, 04-22-2004, 05:38 PM
maybe you can take the test more than once in a year and sasuke and sakura (and all the other genins) didn't want to take it before. Im pretty sure you can take the chunnin exam more than once a year. It was like ever 6 months or something? they said it somewhere...

yami saru chan
Thu, 04-22-2004, 05:48 PM
.......narutos ambitions and his attention span....could that be the cause?

Ganesh
Thu, 04-22-2004, 06:23 PM
omg, i was just asking a general question about the show and it has turned into a spoiler?? how is this a spoiler topic, i have not even watched episode 80.. so it has nothing to do with 80 from what i know.
lol didn't know it had a deeper meanin, i just thought it was probably a hole in the story. oh well time to read all your comments. hopefully they won't spoil too much for me lol

Ganesh
Thu, 04-22-2004, 06:29 PM
ok ok i just read all your replys. ok thanks, that kinda justified my thoughts on this question. hmm yah so either he started earlier cuz he had nothing else to do or the exam is held like more than once a year.. probably very frequently. ok ok thanks

jing
Thu, 04-22-2004, 06:37 PM
i belief naruto started earlier too, thats the only makes better sense right now. i dont see a spoiler?

Knives122
Thu, 04-22-2004, 07:38 PM
he did start earlier it took him three years to pass that final exam to become a genin and every time he took it he always made that dead looking thing on the floor( sorry if its a spoiler)

XwingRob
Thu, 04-22-2004, 07:43 PM
Yeah, that's some spoiler, Knives122. i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

Mut
Thu, 04-22-2004, 09:23 PM
everyone should stop saying spoilers in the naruto open discussion forum. before you enter, it reads: VIEW AT YOUR OWN RISK. SPOILERS ARE ALLOWED HERE.

so don't worry about being sorry for spoiling or anything like that. if people stumble on here and cry about reading a spoiler then sucks to be them.

xTrunkZx
Thu, 04-22-2004, 09:48 PM
This is what i think happens...

if you think about itachi... he graduated at a young age... so im thinking maybe you can take the exam at your request... or if the teacher selects you and thinks you are ready. Hey may have failed to become gennin but was still in the class with those who weren't lucky enough to be selected for the gennin exam

Raven
Thu, 04-22-2004, 10:00 PM
If Naruto entered the academy 3 years before the others, he'd have to have been about 2 when he entered. Konohamaru and co. are in their first year, right? And they're about 5? So if they entered 3 years earlier they'd still be babies.

I might be wrong about the ages though. Lol, just the thought of a little ninja baby... XD

lasaire
Fri, 04-23-2004, 12:22 AM
you're right, this is a plot hole.

Sasuke is stated to be older than Naruto by several months in the official character stats, yet how has Naruto failed and Sasuke has not? My guess is that Naruto just started earlier, as a better form of daycare.

If Kakashi could be a chuunin at 6, he would have had to have been in the academy around 4 or 5.

AnimeEd
Fri, 04-23-2004, 03:21 AM
i think you guys are just confused because you are relating the the school to your own education system
when it's more related to the japanese school system at best

Raven
Fri, 04-23-2004, 07:25 AM
Even so, the ages don't work out, no matter what system you look at. It's definitely a plothole.

ech3lon
Fri, 04-23-2004, 02:20 PM
i think naruto failed for the small tests only not for the final exam for gennin......

Stoopider
Sat, 04-24-2004, 01:28 AM
I think Kishimoto didn't think it thoroughly when he was talking about Naruto failing the exams.
Probably he's too caught up with the current issues that he has forgotten that he hasn't explained about it or will explain about it.

MemnochTheCaT
Sat, 04-24-2004, 01:31 AM
We don't really have any idea what Sasuke was doing during this timeframe i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif That's really the missing link here..

Assertn
Sat, 04-24-2004, 11:24 PM
naruto is still close to the same age as sasuke and sakura though......my guess is that graduation exams take place multiple times a year

Gods_Son
Sat, 04-24-2004, 11:27 PM
Probably just a plot hole, perhaps he meant that Naruto failed everything leading up to the Genin exam. That's why he wasn't prepared for it, and was the only one not able to do Bunshin properly.

Superman
Sun, 04-25-2004, 12:53 AM
What was the spoiler? Nothing I have seen in this has been a spoiler.

*******Spoiler*******

I think that mod must have thought the topic was "About Naruto Failing the Chuunin Exam"

Now that would be a spoiler.

Baka_Desuyo
Sun, 04-25-2004, 01:34 AM
Ok, any of you who thinks there are spoilers in here are stupid, unless you haven't seen the first few episodes or something.
Anyways, I didn't think that the graduation test was the same every time, that would just be stupid. Then everyone would know to study Bunshin, so it wouldn't really be a problem.
And Naruto probably just tried to become a Genin more times than anyone else, and that's why he failed.

Duce
Sun, 04-25-2004, 06:07 AM
Originally posted by: Baka_Desuyo
Ok, any of you who thinks there are spoilers in here are stupid, unless you haven't seen the first few episodes or something.
Anyways, I didn't think that the graduation test was the same every time, that would just be stupid. Then everyone would know to study Bunshin, so it wouldn't really be a problem.
And Naruto probably just tried to become a Genin more times than anyone else, and that's why he failed.

I agree with you, I mean if you can elect when to take the exam then Naruto could have asked to take it over and over and just failed over and over and it was probably random with kills his chances even more

Kale Ironfist
Sun, 04-25-2004, 06:57 AM
in the anime and the manga, kiba relives a day in the academy. most of the students have moved up a class, and naruto is there and is not really known by all the students. that makes it seem that you have to prove yourself to move up a class, and naruto has been in the same class for a long time. it also means there are many different classes of students.

this means that naruto was probably in the last class you had to pass before you became (an unofficial) genin, and Neji probably was not in his class.

Baka_Desuyo
Sun, 04-25-2004, 12:52 PM
[quote]
Originally posted by: Kale Ironfist
in the anime and the manga, kiba relives a day in the academy. most of the students have moved up a class, and naruto is there and is not really known by all the students. that makes it seem that you have to prove yourself to move up a class, and naruto has been in the same class for a long time. it also means there are many different classes of students.

Either that or Naruto just transferred to another class, maybe cause he was giving a kid too many problems. Just a guess.

isso
Sun, 10-23-2005, 06:50 PM
I'm wondering, I still fels quite disturbing that Naruto hasn't become a Chunin yet???

I don't think that Naruto would have any problems beating a chunin anytime anywhere.. Or even a jounin, is it just because he isn't mature and responsable enough yet???

He should be atleast a chunin now, then perhaps we'll get forward in the series!

Strider
Mon, 10-24-2005, 11:26 AM
Another eighteen month thread brought back from the dead.

Rise! Rise!

.. Uh, beating a higher rank doesn't exactly qualify for promotion. Also, Naruto doesn't personify responsibility, either.

Also, I'm sure everyone's promoted with the consensus of numerous viewers and a group of recommendations. He'll have to be in another exam, which won't seem so far fetched in occurring now that the Leaf's going to be shown a lot, with the introduction of Sai in Konoha approaching.

Jadugar
Wed, 10-26-2005, 01:12 PM
The introduction of Sai is very interesting along with Tobi? Atleast the manga is going in the right direction. Ranks dont matter in Naruto. Naruto might be the first Genin to become Hokage without taking any tests.

Anyway whats the requirement to become a Hokage.

Strider
Wed, 10-26-2005, 04:35 PM
You seriously asked that question? i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

The previous Hokage nominates his successor.

But, in regards to this topic ..

It's weird, because it is most likely certain that Naruto entered the Academy years before anyone else, considering the lack of parental care / guidance, and I'm sure one person or another thought it'd be a good idea for their Jinchuuriki to be well-versed. In the future, Naruto could be the leader of their shinobi ranks, etc.

In any manner, even if Naruto joined at a young age, at what point does he fail those numerous times? The only time Naruto could have failed his two or three times would be before everyone else entered the Academy around the age of ten to eleven. It had to have been before everyone joined, otherwise how would Naruto still be on their team?

He is shown in flashbacks with Shikamaru, Chouji and Kiba, and the lot of them are all cutting the same course, with Iruka-sensei constantly scolding them all. As others stated, if Naruto were to have failed the exam at any point after meeting the favored Rookie Nine Genin, they would have surpassed him and been on teams while he was still aspiring to pass.

I would assume things transpired in an order similar to this:

A. Naruto joins academy [age 9] _
At this point, he's potty-trained, can dress himself and most likely thinks he's a grown man that can fend for himself. Now, it's only time to prove that to everyone else and become a shinobi, who will someday become Hokage. Off to the Academy, Naruto goes.

Sasuke has not entered the Academy, as of yet. He is watching his brother rise up within the ranks of Konoha shinobi (presumably Itachi's a Tokubetsu Jounin / ANBU at this point), and is greatly admiring him. He'll start doing things on his own, asking his brother for help, and will soon ask his parents for permission for enlistment.

B. Naruto fails for the first time [age 10] _
Only after a year of enrollment, Naruto thinks he can handle being a shinobi. "Give me missions!" But, with horrible chakra control, little knowledge of seals, Naruto fails to no surprise of the higher-ups.

His failure, plus the mockery of his name by those that passed, adds to his obnoxious personality. He becomes more determined to best everyone someday, and hopes to proves such at the next exam.

C. Naruto fails .. again [age 11] _
With a second year, comes a second attempt for Naruto and the end results in a second failure. He momentarily becomes disheartened, but after a side talk with Iruka and other various shinobi who care, Naruto is once again brought back up and is ready to hit the next exam even harder. With Naruto being placed into the next incoming group of Academy students, and under the guidance of Iruka, Naruto is convinced that he'll be prepared enough for the life of a ninja after this year.

This incoming class of Academy students is composed of the Rookie Nine Genin, and numerous others we see amongst them during flashbacks and initial episodes. At this time, Itachi's the ANBU Division Captain, and going through his own mental / unknown turmoils with that, as well as the stress his family / Clan is placing on him for being the median between the Uchiha and Konoha.

D. Naruto finally graduates! [age 12] _
We all already know this much. Naruto is allowed to graduate. Everyone else actually succeeds in properly graduating. Teams are formed. Jounin-sensei are assigned. Sometime between the previous year and their graduation, the Uchiha Clan are slaughtered by Itachi. This changes Sasuke into the character we meet upon introduction, the avenger.

I think that about covers it. Got any feedback or criticism on things that should / could be different? Post it.

I honestly think it was said Naruto failed three times before graduating. In which case, the only thing I would change is saying he entered the Academy at the age of eight. And failed every year, at ages nine, ten and eleven.

I think the above makes sense since we do know that Sasuke was that year's valedictorian. I'd imagine everything's done annually, as Neji was the previous year's number one seed. We also know Sasuke was at least ten when he finally did enter the Academy. He tells his aunt and uncle how Itachi (at his age) had already mastered the Sharingan and graduated to either Genin or Chuunin, I cannot recall that last part.

Okay, this is too much thinking and my head's seriously starting to hurt. If more support comes to me, I'll post it. In the meantime, enjoy the read. Maybe.

XanBcoo
Wed, 10-26-2005, 06:04 PM
The only thing I'd point out is that, as you said, we've seen the majority of the other Genin in flashbacks. And to me, they are obviously a lot younger than 11 years old. They all look about Konohamaru's age.

I've always thought ninja enter the academy at a young age (as we see Sasuke/Naruto/Sakura/rest of the Genin/Konohamaru do), and are supposed to graduate to a Genin at age 12. After that, it's up to them what they want to do. Itachi and Kakashi's stories conflict with that though, as we know they both became Chuunin at very young ages.

That leaves the quesion unanswered. Honestly, I think that if the answer is not immediately explainable, then perhaps it's just a discrepancy since it was only the first chapter.

Jadugar
Wed, 10-26-2005, 07:34 PM
Wow.

That was a huge summary. Have you been using those Naruto steroids again?

I have nothing to add to your post Strider but like Xan said perhaps its just a plot hole.

masamuneehs
Thu, 11-03-2005, 12:22 PM
I'm also going with plot hole to explain this one... it just doesnt make sense otherwise...

Assertn
Thu, 11-03-2005, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by: AssertnFailure
naruto is still close to the same age as sasuke and sakura though......my guess is that graduation exams take place multiple times a year

I still think this is the best explanation.

How could kishimoto create a plothole within just the first 20 eps of the series?

Strider
Tue, 11-08-2005, 05:10 PM
I don't understand how that makes much sense. The multiple graduation exams per year theory.

I mean, they clearly state that Neji was last year's no. 1 rookie. He wasn't one of them. He was it.

Sasuke was clearly in the Academy since a young age. Why not take it then? He learned an advanced skill, in the Goukyaku, very young. That right there would have qualified as a passing skill. Fuck a Bunshin / Henge.

Assertn
Thu, 11-10-2005, 08:34 PM
just because there's multiple graduation exams per year doesn't mean that there's multiple graduations per year

XanBcoo
Thu, 11-10-2005, 08:42 PM
But it would be logical to assume there were, as evidenced by Strider's Sasuke example. He could have graduated WAY before anyone else and there was no reason for him to stay and be dragged down by the rest of the class (in his opinion, at least).

Strider
Fri, 11-11-2005, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by: AssertnFailure
just because there's multiple graduation exams per year doesn't mean that there's multiple graduations per year

You're shitting me.

You're trying to sell the idea that there are multiple graduation exams every year, yet there have only been graduations all at one time because only at those given times was everyone able to finally accomplish the difficult tasks of successfully performing the Henge no Jutsu?

Don't quite your day job, pal.

The final exam has always been Henge no Jutsu. Iruka states this, as well as Naruto, considering that was his reasoning for his past failures. If Naruto wasn't in the Academy before everyone else, then everyone else would have had the same opportunity as Naruto to performing the Transformation Skill. And, you really think someone like Sasuke couldn't do that before he even entered the Academy?

Not buying it.

XanBcoo
Fri, 11-11-2005, 03:35 PM
Or it's a plot hole. That's what I'm buying i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

Strider
Fri, 11-11-2005, 03:44 PM
.. God damn plot holes.

Inconsistency drives me mad. Mad, I say! i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif