PDA

View Full Version : Pay for naruto, still not much, but...

itachi_
Wed, 04-21-2004, 12:48 PM
Check it out! (http://www.narutofan.com/index.php/content-main,direct%20episode%20downloads)
Damn narutofan, shiet i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif

I personally dislike it becasue now the newbies think they'll have to pay to watch naruto, $3 but it's still money, when it says "This is a free fansub" etc in the naruto intro... I think it stinks to be honest... and narutofan ain't "good-hearted", they only want money... and like announce all over the page "DONATE", "DONATE MONEY FOR NARUTO", I think it's bad propaganda.... What's your thoughs

hornetmike
Wed, 04-21-2004, 01:03 PM
well, it's an exclusive service. is it right that they should profit from naruto. no. but they do provide a service to people and probably need the money to cover the cost. if you don't want it then don't get it. besides you can always go for the usual and regular way of getting naruto. no one has to pay for a free fansub and thats that.

Destroyor
Wed, 04-21-2004, 01:10 PM
.................................................. .................................................. .........................................

That's why you should get the eps directly from the *source* (whether it's raw, subbed or from your tv --> your TVcard) ASAP, old torrent almosts always have few or no seeds. If you have it, why would you need to dl it again??????

Manga: Again, learn irc, get it from the *source* instead from some other middleman.

If it's too much trouble for you, then by all means pay the middleman for their *services*.

Still .....

.................................................. ...............

Damn! If only you could barter like in morrowind in real life. $_$
*sigh

Everon
Wed, 04-21-2004, 01:14 PM
I'm trying to stay away from NarutoFan.com. They have a nice website and hold a lot of content, but the donations from the beginning have seemed a little fishy. Right now they're donations are up to somewhere in the 1500's. I can understand why they might need to charge for the direct downloads, but for keeping up a website (even dishing out prizes like they do) its a little odd.

Lithonite
Wed, 04-21-2004, 01:23 PM
For something we so avidlyread, watch i tihnk some of that, interest should translate into money for the creator, and to for the individuals doing our translations. the fact that someone is so turned off by paying for what they used is utterly disguesting. take some responsability for the things that you do, and the things that you use. As a consumer we have a responsabilty to the people who put their time and effort to give us a quality product.

itachi_
Wed, 04-21-2004, 01:33 PM
Whatever you say I still think that Naruto fansub should remain free, atleast that's AonE's policy...

Lithonite
Wed, 04-21-2004, 01:40 PM
yeah but most placing have something in place where you can give 10 cents if thats all you can do but its there and giving someting for something you use is not unhear of or uncalled for- 3 dollars may be a bit steep for some people, but the fact someone is upset at the fact someone is asking for money i dont understnd. its not like they are asking for it to make a profit. but i for one know bandwidth is not free so sites with decent contect, and heavy traffic costs money- and the hosting company or ISP doesnt give a rats ass if wahts being served come at a personal loss to their customer. to me its just a curtousy to pay @least something we use it. Its our community, lets support it.

Now if a group or site is pulling an excess of 1500 a month in donations and then still wanting to charge...something is f@#$ed about that; there is no way hositng is running them that much, you can get over 3 terabytes of traffic for that kind of money.

that reminds me- gotwoot needs their dondation from this month.

Gods_Son
Wed, 04-21-2004, 01:57 PM
They may deserve money, but fansubbing being free has always been the common understanding. Groups that do it for the money shouldn't be calling it fansubbing anymore. Sites and groups that try too hard to get money just end up losing respect. There are always other ways to get these things anyways, there's no reason to panic yet.

Uzumaki Naruto
Wed, 04-21-2004, 10:43 PM
but if we pay for the fansub, then wuts the point in putting those fonts in animes where they tel u its a free fansub and if u paid for it uve been ripped off, i mean three dollars aint much but still it aint a free fansub anymore

samsonlonghair
Wed, 04-21-2004, 10:50 PM
The anime companies have had a tendency to smile gently on fansubs, but if someone tries to make a porfit from fansubs that could all come to an end. As far as money for the creator, you know Kishimoto isn't getting a dime from NarutoFan. It's obvious that they are taking in more money than they need to keep the site running.

Mut
Thu, 04-22-2004, 12:12 AM
i think it's complete bullshit that they're gonna charge people.

Assertn
Thu, 04-22-2004, 12:43 AM
once again i'd like to say.......i wish i could profit from other people's work i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif

Uzumaki Naruto
Thu, 04-22-2004, 12:54 AM
makes you wonder if pplz will actually pay for it

PSJ
Thu, 04-22-2004, 02:34 AM
most likely inane and AA dont want their work to be profitable for others. they will put a stop to this, they wont let other ppl use their eps and chapters. if narutofan wants to charge ppl they should do their own subs and scanlations and since the free ones still would exist no one would buy their crap. and isnt it forbidden by law to make money on other ppls work?

Everon
Thu, 04-22-2004, 02:44 AM
Hmm. What ticks me off kinda is that there are plenty of other places where ppl can get Direct downloads for free! I don't use direct downloads for the most part because those direct dl's chew up a lot of the bandwidth and would cut out others who can't use P2P software like bittorrent. (officially, I can't either, but my university doesn't keep tabs on everyone...I hope)

Stoopider
Thu, 04-22-2004, 02:47 AM
If they make people pay. Nobody will visit their site anymore. NarutoChunnshin anyone??
However, for people who kindly donate. I have notthing against that. If I were The person running the Narutofan site I surely don't mind people so kindly lessening the burden of mantaining the site though.

jing
Thu, 04-22-2004, 07:06 AM
Yes bull shit inDEED.
besides their site is constantly getting hacked by people. waste of money.
their donations are so high.... think what you can do with all that money. its like dictatorship naruto style.

Eriond
Thu, 04-22-2004, 12:01 PM
I could be wrong, but the way I read it NarutoFan and NarutoInsider are 2 different sites. NarutoFan agreed to advertise for NarutoInsider, in return for money from the referrals.

Affiliate Program
Naruto Insider offers an affiliate program. NarutoFan.com is a member of this, as they do not own Naruto Insider. Webmasters can make money off of their anime website. Each member that is referred to Naruto Insider from an affiliates website, earns that webmaster a generous percentage of the subscription.

Now, while I will agree that trying to make profit off someone else's work is wrong, I really have a hard time blaming NarutoFan for trying to make a little money for doing nothing more than adding an add on their site for someone else's site. Honestly, how many of you would refuse if someone offered you a percentage for every person you got to buy into something, even if you knew that thing was wrong? If NarutoFan itself was forcing people to pay, I would agree that they should go to helli/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif, but being paid to advertise is totally different.

Suzu
Thu, 04-22-2004, 01:58 PM
Everyone is over reacting. Narutofan is not charging anybody for Direct Downloads but advertising a site that does. Even if they were you're not paying for the fansub and they would still offer links to sites who offer the free fansubs like they always do, you're paying for the high speed direct download service. Tazmo does get a lot of donations but he gives a sh*tload of prizes every week as well as having a high number of media servers so that they can meet the demands of a growing Naruto fanbase while keeping good download rates. So to the people bashing him and his site without knowing the facts: shutup. Narutofan.com is one of the few Naruto sites that is still running and is always updating with new info and media. Show some appreciation, if the idea of paying to download fansubs (at a fast rate) doesn't rub you the right way then don't click on the ad. I would never pay for a free fansub and still accept the 3-4 hour wait for Naruto to download, but its a choice to be made. So take it easy and drop the Narutofan bashing when you dont know whats really going down.

PSJ
Thu, 04-22-2004, 02:41 PM
i think its wrong to even advertize for a site that makes money on someone else's work. i dont mind sites having the potion to donate but even just advertizing for some bullshit crap fest site for money is wrong. the bottom line is do not try to make money on other ppls work. which both of them do since narutofan advertize it and narutoinsider is the site doing it or will do it.

Lenas
Thu, 04-22-2004, 05:41 PM
You aren't paying for the fansubs. You're paying for the direct-download services that NarutoFan / NarutoInsider is going to provide you with. If you want to get caught up in legalities.

Jman
Thu, 04-22-2004, 08:33 PM
Sounds like another NF get rich quick scheme. Those guys probably even sell fansubs on ebay.

xTrunkZx
Thu, 04-22-2004, 09:41 PM
Direct Downloads = Lots of Bandwidth

Lots of Bandwidth = Lots of Money

Lots of Money = Hard to Find on your own

Solution = charge for use...

Pretty soon 3$ per person will not turn into a profit... but they'll actually be breaking even when around 300 people join and even b4 that money is coming out of their pockets so they will in no way make a profit. By my speculations... they'll actually be losing money b4 they ever even seen a dollar over the cost of a server to handle this type of traffic

G-Pong
Thu, 04-22-2004, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by: Pervert-Sennin Jiraiya
and isnt it forbidden by law to make money on other ppls work?

Record companies do it all the time...

Ciber
Fri, 04-23-2004, 11:32 AM
I already spoke to NF and NI and they will *NOT* be using our subs.

The new disclaimer in ep 79 and up was put in because of them and other crappy fansites trying to take advantage of the anime community.

Btw, NarutoFan owns the NarutoInsider servers.

Ciber
Fri, 04-23-2004, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by: xTrunkZx
Direct Downloads = Lots of Bandwidth

Lots of Bandwidth = Lots of Money

Lots of Money = Hard to Find on your own

Solution = charge for use...

Pretty soon 3$ per person will not turn into a profit... but they'll actually be breaking even when around 300 people join and even b4 that money is coming out of their pockets so they will in no way make a profit. By my speculations... they'll actually be losing money b4 they ever even seen a dollar over the cost of a server to handle this type of traffic

You really don't know much about bw and server costs do you?

A media server costs $69 a month and includes 1 TB of bw.

So now lets do the math

300 people paying $3 a month comes out to $900 a month

13 servers at $69 a month give you 13 TB of bandwidth and cost $897 a month

Naruto 1-80 is around 14-16 GB, 300 people downloading 14-16 gb comes out to around 4.2-4.8 TB

So in total it would cost them $345 to purchase the 5 TB to maintain these 300 people.

Of course this is assuming that all 300 people download all of Naruto, obviously MOST people will NOT download all the eps and most definately will not do it every month.

In reality they would probably need less than 1 TB for 300 people since 90% of them will just download the latest episode.

So that's $69 a month to keep 300+ people happy, under realistic conditions.

Have a nice day. i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

Knives122
Fri, 04-23-2004, 03:09 PM
I will never pay for anything that i feel I dont need(like naruto) Dont pay for this its not worth it

ComeComeParadise
Fri, 04-23-2004, 03:39 PM
Naruto Insider is being run by a bunch of money hungry bastards. My suggestion is that we boycott NarutoFan.com and NarutoInsider.com until the names of both websites are asscoiated with greed and selfishness by the Naruto community. That would show them.

freezel-san
Fri, 04-23-2004, 04:39 PM
I'd like to point out that this is entirely illegal.

AnimeEd
Fri, 04-23-2004, 09:22 PM
$3 a month is way too much for 700mb of bandwidth per month
way too much if they don't want to profit that is

dregen
Sat, 04-24-2004, 04:10 AM
Me being a newb to the downloading anime crave I think it's a wonderful thing to be able to get the anime for free. On the other hand why not help out a little donations here, but you tell me that I have to pay just to download something that comes on my palyer and says this is free and if you payed for it you were ripped off, that's something different. I say all those in favor of makeing me pay for the fan subbing burn in hot oil. lol. But seriously people if your downloads came with a pair of free movie tickets than that's cool but other wise don't even think about paying for these eps. espeaially when your not the one's who put any creative or artistic thought into this anime. and your not the ones that are subbing the eps you use. Bottom line donations are cool but a monthly plan isn't so great.

MemnochTheCaT
Sat, 04-24-2004, 04:42 AM
Interesting .. whatever, it doesn't bother me, it's not on GW i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif GW we lubs yoo!

Superman
Sun, 04-25-2004, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by: freezel-san
I'd like to point out that this is entirely illegal.

So are all fansubs. TV Tokyo has as much a right to stop fansubbing as any american company.

dregen
Sun, 04-25-2004, 01:57 AM
Yes fansubbing is illegal, It's just like napster giving away free songs. But I guess TV Tokyo dosen't see it that way because most people that host the downloads are giving it away for free, btu if they look through thes sites like we do just because the love anime and saw that someone was actually making someone pay for what they have rights over they stop everyone from fansubbing and press charges on the individuals who are still trying to host eps. Thats how I feel.

Legendary Nin
Sun, 04-25-2004, 08:11 AM
I guess you missed the part where they said the prices will definitly go up for people who've registered after the first 100.So the first 100 pay $3 a month,then anything after will probably pay around $6 a month and can face price hikes.

Elessar
Sun, 04-25-2004, 01:22 PM
This will be the doom of the fansub scene. End of Statement.

To provide a service you have to pay money. If you can't afford that - don't provide the service. Life is as simple as that and always was. Fansubbing did survive over the years because the only thing people tried to gain was respect.
If you translated an anime episode for others - you got respected. If you had access to a lot of cpu time to encode fast - you got respected (nowadays with 3ghz+ that sounds ridiciulous). If you were able to host some downloads on an edu line - you got respected. Respect and the love for what they do was what drove fansubs.

The very same thing drove the "nerds" that created the internet. After a while it became more attention and the first marketing salesman entered it, bringing $$ inside the play. Shortly afterward, the first lawyers came and now the net lies in ruins.

Bring money into fansubs - and the lawyers will follow.
I really hope more groups deny them to use their version. Or in a joint effort, all groups should stop fansubbing naruto, taking them away the base on which they think thay can earn a fast buck. Then they will see what they really are and have - nothing.
Fansubbing is better of without them, don't support the crack dealers!

chaos4ever
Sun, 04-25-2004, 03:15 PM
they're asking for the lawyers to get involved and a widespread clampdown on fansubs. if this service takes off, i think the anime distros will come down on the fansub community to make sure it doesn't happen again. It's just taking advantage of an unwritten rule just to make a few bucks. Bad business indeed.

1. fansubs are free and subsist on donations for a free service. not a pay-per-view subscription. imo, this service threatens this mantra, even if fansubs are not being used.
2. if people are hurting for direct downloads, they should just go to mirc and download the files -- it's direct and fast, at least for the large, complete episode files. there are also .rm encodes for the same episodes for the 56kers to dl as well (you just have to look).

Baka_Desuyo
Sun, 04-25-2004, 04:20 PM
If I was going to be paying anyone for any anime services I would want it to be the creator. End of story.

Assertn
Sun, 04-25-2004, 04:31 PM
uh......narutofan.com has over $1500 in donations already.....how much more do they need to maintain servers??
i hope they've been giving out HUGE prizes, or else they're pocketing a decent amount of that

itachi_
Sun, 04-25-2004, 04:49 PM
If it continue the way the've gone until now they will have a monthly donation rate of $3000, they can "almost" quit their regular jobs and start "stealing" not litterarly...money from narutards

Baka_Desuyo
Sun, 04-25-2004, 06:24 PM
Um, not quite quit, but in a few months someone could get a new car, which sucks.

chaos4ever
Sun, 04-25-2004, 07:25 PM
i wonder if any of the donations are taxable?

CapsuleCorpJX
Sun, 04-25-2004, 08:25 PM
What are you talking about? The manga downloads are free on NarutoFan. The episode downloads are all linked to the fan subber's sites, and they are all torrents, and they are all free.

REQUESTS to donate isn't the same as charging.

Maybe you mean direct downloads, I'm not sure.

However, I do think its in bad taste for them to have a banner. That is making money off of other people's work. But then again, if I was spending time and money keeping up a site, I'd want to cover my costs and at least get paid some for my time.

Elessar
Sun, 04-25-2004, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by: CapsuleCorpJX
I'd want to cover my costs and at least get paid some for my time.Then buy the license and open up a commercial site.
But that is the way it should not work with fansub fansites. If you want to get the penis enlargement of running a big naruto fansite, you have to live with the unpleasant sides too - the bills.

Assertn
Sun, 04-25-2004, 09:11 PM
requesting donations when you really dont need donations is just as bad as charging

Mayunosuke
Sun, 04-25-2004, 09:15 PM
its probably gonna be taken down since they're CHARGING to let people download NARUTO which is of course not right and I don't see why people can't be smart enough to know that bittorrent and xdcc bots can get you over 250kbps and thatll take about 15 minutes to download a 25 minute episode of anime, so you can set it to download, watch an anime then your download is done and you set another download and watch the ep you dl'd previously, etc It would be nice to see some evil people with dls over 1mbps and dl eps + delete + repeat all set on a macro i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif leave it on for a month and you've scrood someone over i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

Baka_Desuyo
Sun, 04-25-2004, 11:06 PM
Yeah, this little scheme is going to fail, and then they'll probably wind up going back to the way it is now. So I think we should just sit tight and get our Naruto from other places until they do that.

dregen
Mon, 04-26-2004, 02:00 PM
a little off topic but waht is xdcc. thanks to the person that ans.

glitched
Mon, 04-26-2004, 05:03 PM
It seems he put up a responce to these romors

http://narutofan.com/index.php/content-main,our%20monthly%20costs

shows that he pays over 800 for media servers a month, and that prizes usually cost about the same as the monthly server cost, so that adds up to 1600+
interesting
he also says that the ISP puts up hte banner add in exchange for free site hosting.

and, requoting what some people missed in someone else'searlier posts "NarutoFan.com is a member of this, as they do not own Naruto Insider"

ALSO, this "pay for fast service" is not a new concept as i do believe fileplanet.com has this option. you either wait in line for free downloads of free files or pay a lil for fast downloads. i dont even know if that site even makes any money off of this "people paying so they dont have to wait long for downloads of free demos and files." business

HI GPONG! That comment u made about the record companies makeing money off of other peoplse work all the time was to true. lol

Y
Mon, 04-26-2004, 05:53 PM
Naruto Fan is attempting to profit from work they did not create.

Screw 'em.

Baka_Desuyo
Mon, 04-26-2004, 06:42 PM
Man, technology is so corrupting.
If we keep on going on this way eventually we'll be entirely dependent upon computers and stuff, and then the world will turn into the matrix, and then we won't know that we're not actually living a real life, and...
Sorry, got carried away, but seriously, it's just not cool to profit from other people's work like this.

jing
Mon, 04-26-2004, 07:07 PM
The point is that they should NOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT rely on donations FULLY. Who's site is it if you use the donations to pay the bills? Hell, ill make a site if someone gave me some money. But it isn't called my site anymore cuz i didn't pay for it. Im not bad mouthing narutofan, they do have a good site, but i don't think they should rely fully on donations. i also think the direct dls=bogus. BUT it would help alot of people in school, so maybe those guys need em.

Assertn
Mon, 04-26-2004, 08:33 PM
can someone explain to me why they need 6 media servers and over 5000 GB?

bittorrent exists for a reason i/expressions/rolleye.gif

jing
Mon, 04-26-2004, 09:34 PM
they say that the extras are for developing new projects. but if thats the case,then they shouldn't be charging us 3$ for direct download account.

Baka_Desuyo
Mon, 04-26-2004, 10:46 PM
The only new project I've seen come out of them recently is this stupid thing we're talking about.

jing
Mon, 04-26-2004, 11:16 PM
yeah this stupid thing that we have to pay for.... i thought the media servers should be enough........ they should at least pay some of the bill out of their own pockets......

Assertn
Tue, 04-27-2004, 02:17 AM
well no, if i was maintaining a site that benifits lots of people, then i'd expect them to help out at least a little.....
but bittorrent was specifically invented so people wouldnt HAVE to deal with expensive bandwidth costs

Elessar
Tue, 04-27-2004, 03:55 AM
If I had to pay every site I find usefull, man, I would be really poor.

If you have a site that is usefull to a lot of people - than you have to pay the bills. If you have an unusefull site - take it off the net. You either provide a site and deliever a service or you don't. Donationware / Beer-ware was never intended to pay monthly costs for a simple reason - it' not suited.

AnimeEd
Tue, 04-27-2004, 04:19 AM
why don't they just host torrents to the manga

it might be just be crazy enough to work

Mut
Wed, 04-28-2004, 03:21 PM
i like how GW's motto: 'if you can't pay for the servers/web host/etc, then don't run a site'

or something like that.

Baka_Desuyo
Wed, 04-28-2004, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by: Mut@t@
i like how GW's motto: 'if you can't pay for the servers/web host/etc, then don't run a site'

or something like that.

Yeah, I like that, it makes sense. Plus, what are they going to do if they get too dependent upon the money from this sort of stuff, and then they get fewer and fewer members. It will suck for them.

Mut
Thu, 04-29-2004, 12:27 AM
yeah, but thing for narutofan.com is that like the most popular naruto fan site out there right now. well, second to mine of course.

Baka_Desuyo
Thu, 04-29-2004, 09:16 AM
Yeah, but I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who feel the same way we do about charging money, and so they may boycott it to some extent as well.