PDA

View Full Version : Licensed anime?

Azkutzy
Tue, 04-20-2004, 03:52 PM
Hey...

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, but I don't know where else to ask my question.

I was wondering, will AonE continue subbing Gokusen and Tenjou Tenge now that both are licensed?
I really like these animes and I'd hate to wait for them to come out before seeing them. Not to mention that it's a great sub AonE is doing (not trying to suck up).

Feel free to delete or move this if this is in the wrong place....

//Azkutzy...

Poiple Weezard
Tue, 04-20-2004, 04:22 PM
I don't know about Gokusen, since that was just licensed this past week, but this thread (http://forums.gotwoot.net/messageview.cfm?catid=5&threadid=9495&enterthread= y) talked about Tenjou Tenge already.

SamuraiOdin
Tue, 04-20-2004, 04:28 PM
Gokusen was licensed by Media Blasters, I don't know how strict they are in terms of letting subbers continue, but odds are that it will be the end of newly subbed Gokusen episodes. On the plus side though, Media Blasters is normally pretty good in terms of distribution in the US, so shouldn't take forever for the DVDs to start rolling out.

I dunno who licensed Tenjou Tenge though, do you?

Edit: Bah, it originally said "Gokusen is normally pretty good in terms of distribution..." damn typos.

Koyuki
Tue, 04-20-2004, 05:28 PM
I hope they'll continue to sub Tenjou Tenge. Gokusen wasn't all that great.

Azkutzy
Wed, 04-21-2004, 12:32 AM
ahh. Thanks for the answers.

I really hope that they'll continue subbing gokusen since there's only three chapters left, not to mention that I don't like the thought of spending money on importing DVDs.

It's good to know that they'll continue with Tenjou Tenge. I liked what I saw of it now.

Thanks again for the answers.

MemnochTheCaT
Wed, 04-21-2004, 05:15 PM
Wow those got picked up pretty quick .. I'm still astonished that Naruto hasn't been licensed yet, I can't shake the feeling that it will happen sooner rather than later.

SamuraiOdin
Wed, 04-21-2004, 05:33 PM
The thing with Naruto is that if it gets licensed, it is likely that only the first one or two seasons will be licensed so the company can test the waters. And as the subbers are already up to episode 80ish, it's pretty safe unless one of the companies decides to license the entire thing, and not just a few seasons.

Poiple Weezard
Wed, 04-21-2004, 09:12 PM
Have we seen any of the other long-running series get licensed? I know Ippo was several months ago, but at that time the series had already stopped (there was still story to go on, but no new episodes were made). Prince of Tennis and One Piece are still going strong. Maybe this is a sign that Naruto will be safe until it stops airing new episodes.

Azkutzy
Wed, 04-21-2004, 11:30 PM
I hope it'll be as you said SamuraiOdin, that they just license the first seasons if Naruto will be licensed in the future.

durrem
Thu, 04-22-2004, 10:55 AM
I hope they finish Gokusen. As was stated earlier, there are only a few episodes left and they are the only group subbing it.

complich8
Thu, 04-22-2004, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by: SamuraiOdin
The thing with Naruto is that if it gets licensed, it is likely that only the first one or two seasons will be licensed so the company can test the waters. And as the subbers are already up to episode 80ish, it's pretty safe unless one of the companies decides to license the entire thing, and not just a few seasons.

unlikely, IMO.

DBZ and Inuyasha paved the way and tested the waters for long-running action series in the US. Naruto has mass crowd appeal, probably moreso than dbz and inuyasha, and is a long-running action series. It's not something they need to "test the waters" on -- it's something they need to come to terms with the producers on -- that is, if the producers don't know how long the anime will run they will have a hard time coming to concrete license terms with a US distribution company, because the US company doesn't know what they're committing to and the Japanese company doesn't know what they're promising or whether they could get more out of it than they are.

The biggest thing about Naruto though is its lack of hesitation to show people getting bloodied up or (somewhat) realistically chopped apart. With US DBZ the TV airing had all the blood edited out and terms like "Hell" and "kill" changed to "HFIL" and "sent to another dimension" to make it 'kid-safe'. Naruto has the potential to be a massive TV crowdpleaser, but american TV is afraid of animated violence and especially blood, so if Naruto got licensed for US TV it'd probably have to have special terms allowing the redistributors to do nasty things to it that I'd personally rather not see them do.

Oh yeah ... to remove any doubts, AonE will be finishing Gokusen. Only 3 more eps, and they're all "in the works" so to speak.

Azkutzy
Sat, 04-24-2004, 08:13 AM
Thank you som much, complic8, for saying that. AonE does a great job with the subs, not only on Gokusen, and it'd be very hard to find a nother group that'd continue subbing.

NM
Sat, 04-24-2004, 05:18 PM
If you go to animesuki, they'll show you all the animes that are currently licensed and going to be licensed.

Azkutzy
Sun, 04-25-2004, 12:42 AM
That's where I saw that Gokusen was licensed.