PDA

View Full Version : thread repeaters are treated as scum... but

ssjtaylan
Sat, 04-17-2004, 08:49 PM
Did anyone Cry during a scene 1-78 of Naruto Anime?
thread was going well and suddenly some message appears saying repeat thread and its closed...-_-
if a thread was going well who cares if its repeat maybe some people who joined recently havnt had a
chance to talk about it

i dont know if im going to be killed by jounins after talking about this but if i die you must all come togather and fight vs this crazy rule >_<

originalkrn
Sat, 04-17-2004, 08:52 PM
if its a repeat thread, then instead of opening a new thread, just look it up and read up on it. If you want new people to talk about it, then you can just revive the old thread.

ssjtaylan
Sat, 04-17-2004, 09:02 PM
ah i see sorry i never thought of that i am new and just made that thread last night and was annoyed when it was closed but i can understand now but it is a little troublesome to find the name of the old threads

Shinji Ikari
Sat, 04-17-2004, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by: originalkrn
if its a repeat thread, then instead of opening a new thread, just look it up and read up on it. If you want new people to talk about it, then you can just revive the old thread.

How in jebus name are you going to know or find out if the thread has been up before? Sometimes thread-names extremely detailed, and someetimes the names harldy even tell what you want to discuss... So how are you supposed to know what to search for? I can understand it if it's on the same page or even the next page, but if it's older than that, this rule is the stupidest ever.

I've been around a forum for about 6 years now... They have had the same rule for as long as i can remember... And what happens? I've been along so long that the same subject is bound to pop up once in a while... If you can't deal with the same subject being taken up in new threads once in a while, well that's just ridiculous.

It's for the new members of this forum, and whoever wants to particepate, so why the hell does it matter if there is a thread half a year old about the same thing? Do you guys even think new members want to read what the older members wrote in that old thread only to continue it with their stuff? No way in hell, it might work for like one or two adittions to the original thread, but that thread will die out faster than a new thread... I know this because i've seen it happens so many times. Personally i think the mods should adjust this rule they have since it's so bloody inconvenient.

Is it for the bandwidth of this forum or something like that? Well just delete more threads that are old, no one cares about them anyway... I mean, that is obvious, you don't see many old threads up on the front going from being on the last page to being on the first page, that just doesn't happen... Why? First as i said that it isn't relevant for the newcomers to read the old shit even though it in theory is the same subject. Second, people don't like to search for a subject they want to create and get rolling.

Just face it, this is the way it really works.

ssjtaylan
Sat, 04-17-2004, 09:21 PM
GOOOOOOOOOOOAL!!! i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

Shinji Ikari
Sat, 04-17-2004, 09:22 PM
Even i score a few times i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

Edit: By the way, i love your avatar... Oh how i love everything that got to do with Berserk and the "holy warrior" Gatts.

originalkrn
Sat, 04-17-2004, 09:29 PM
Well if you cant find after you search, then you can make a new thread and it wouldnt matter. But if its the cry topic, im pretty sure you can type in "cry" and not many things unrelated to your topic will pop up. I'm pretty sure that if the mod who closed your thread remembered your thread, it wasnt THAT old. Might as well try to revive it. Your questions may be answered anyway if you read the old topic.

Assertn
Sat, 04-17-2004, 09:38 PM
i agree with originalkrn...its ok to start a new topic if the old one is gone for good or way too hard to find, but i tried doing a quick search for "cry" and found a few easy enough....including the one that had almost 300 posts in it

Shinji Ikari
Sat, 04-17-2004, 09:43 PM
Well if you cant find after you search, then you can make a new thread and it wouldnt matter. But if its the cry topic, im pretty sure you can type in "cry" and not many things will pop up. I'm pretty sure that if the mod who closed your thread remembered your thread, it wasnt THAT old. Might as well try to revive it. Your questions may be answered anyway if you read the old topic.

What if someone used another word for cry? Wheep? I'm just not accepting what you say because i know it's stupid from what i have seen in other forums. How can anybody know "if" the one starting a thread that has been up really did search, and if he did and didn't find it... Should it be locked? How can a mod tell if he has the right to lock it or not? Because he has been here long enough so that he has been able to see it float by. That can't be correct, because they always tell you to search before making a new thread, but there isn't any chance for a mod to know if the person did search (which i have already said)...

Let's make it into an example.

1. I start a thread.
2. Before i do it, i search using the search function without finding anything.
3. A mod sees the thread and locks it up...

Who was correct?

1. The mod who knew that there was a thread about this topic.
2. Or i who took the percaution by using the searchfunction?

Can you prove that i am lying so that you can justify the mods actions?
What gave the mod to act on his own without even asking if i looked for a similar thread?

Should you put up in every thread you start "I did search for this topic but didn't find it anywhere"? If so, then that system would be abused and people will say it all the time when starting a thread giving them a free hand to create any topic as long it is according to the forum's main subject. Or it would be abused in the way that people wouldn't search at all and instead just put up the sign to get a greencard...

How much more do i have to convince you before you realise that the system they have totally suck as it is. Because you know that if you let mods do as they wish now, the forummembers will only get angry... And if the mods were supposed to "ask" if the person did search, well you can imagine how stupid and timedemanding that would be.

Shinji Ikari
Sat, 04-17-2004, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by: Shinji Ikari

Well if you cant find after you search, then you can make a new thread and it wouldnt matter. But if its the cry topic, im pretty sure you can type in "cry" and not many things will pop up. I'm pretty sure that if the mod who closed your thread remembered your thread, it wasnt THAT old. Might as well try to revive it. Your questions may be answered anyway if you read the old topic.

What if someone used another word for cry? Wheep? I'm just not accepting what you say because i know it's stupid from what i have seen in other forums. How can anybody know "if" the one starting a thread that has been up really did search, and if he did and didn't find it... Should it be locked? How can a mod tell if he has the right to lock it or not? Because he has been here long enough so that he has been able to see it float by. That can't be correct, because they always tell you to search before making a new thread, but there isn't any chance for a mod to know if the person did search (which i have already said)...

Let's make it into an example.

1. I start a thread.
2. Before i do it, i search using the search function without finding anything.
3. A mod sees the thread and locks it up...

Who was correct?

1. The mod who knew that there was a thread about this topic.
2. Or i who took the percaution by using the searchfunction?

Can you prove that i am lying so that you can justify the mods actions?
What gave the mod to act on his own without even asking if i looked for a similar thread?

Should you put up in every thread you start "I did search for this topic but didn't find it anywhere"? If so, then that system would be abused and people will say it all the time when starting a thread giving them a free hand to create any topic as long it is according to the forum's main subject. Or it would be abused in the way that people wouldn't search at all and instead just put up the sign to get a greencard...

How much more do i have to convince you before you realise that the system they have totally suck as it is. Because you know that if you let mods do as they wish now, the forummembers will only get angry... And if the mods were supposed to "ask" if the person did search, well you can imagine how stupid and timedemanding that would be.

i agree with originalkrn...its ok to start a new topic if the old one is gone for good or way too hard to find, but i tried doing a quick search for "cry" and found a few easy enough....including the one that had almost 300 posts in it

Great, so if it works in one case, it works in all cases? That's just playing foolish, you know it doesn't work in the long run. And as i first said, how fun is it for 50 new persons look through a 6 months old thread which has 300 posts in it just to continue with their opinions... Do you even consider what that does? It's really inconsiderate. Why? Because the old ones don't feel they have anything more to add, so they don't post anything in it, and that is like saying "Hey, you new guys have opinions that doesn't matter to us, come up with something new instead". The thread will then loose it's color and fade because the new on the forum feel that there is nothing they can do about the topic even though it is interesting.

Or, it might end up in the totally oposit way, that the old forum members take over the thread again giving it new life and then leaving the new members to feel left out because the old members are adding to what they said earlier and the new members ain't got nothing to share...

This is what i have come up with from my time as a forum member at a lot of different forums about this subject. How much experience do you have on this subject, 'cause everything i say here is based on the reactions and happenings in old threads going new or new thread being shut down.

Edit: Gomen, i didn't mean to make a double post, i intended to add to the old, but somehow it started a new one... sorry. (see, if i didn't tell you right here, you'd probably think i did it on purpuse without checking the rules or something like that).

Gods_Son
Sat, 04-17-2004, 10:14 PM
This has nothing to do with the Naruto anime, you can whine about the mods locking your thread in General Discussion. Shinji Ikari, you don't need to double post and make two short essays, just edit and take out the same parts from the first one.

Elessar
Sat, 04-17-2004, 10:17 PM
A recommendation has to be discussed, a rule has to be obeyed. That's the simplicity of life.

And especially in this forum. It's not about topics that come up every 5 or 6 months - in here topics repeat themselves every week.
That's why this rule is needed.

Edit: Props to KonohamaruCorps, full ACK.

Assertn
Sat, 04-17-2004, 10:49 PM
im not saying it should apply to all cases......but there are cases where the search button works and this was one of them
and yes....topics like "whats your favorite naruto song" does start up every 2 weeks or less

btw i love how this changed from a continuation of the crying topic to a topic about forum rules i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

simplyxme
Sat, 04-17-2004, 11:29 PM
whats wrong with topics repeating? new episodes comes out every week. u cant just all of a sudden continue a 1/2 year old thread. I've been checking the forum for months now and thats the first time that question appeared. anyway Searching doesnt even work for me. I searched for cry to and i didnt find anything o.O soo i think they should do something w/ that rule too.

Terracosmo
Sat, 04-17-2004, 11:46 PM
...I didn't even know we had this rule. And this is coming from the oldest active moderator. Do I suck?

Mut
Sat, 04-17-2004, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by: Terracosmo
...I didn't even know we had this rule. And this is coming from the oldest active moderator. Do I suck?

i/expressions/beer.gif this one's on me.

itachi_
Sat, 04-17-2004, 11:48 PM
No terra, you rule, still you're my bitch.

ELiA
Sun, 04-18-2004, 05:35 AM
I was new to forums. I didn't even know what a PM was. But thanks, now I have to use the search engine everytime I want to start a new thread.

Shinji Ikari
Sun, 04-18-2004, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by: KonohamaruCorps
This has nothing to do with the Naruto anime, you can whine about the mods locking your thread in General Discussion. Shinji Ikari, you don't need to double post and make two short essays, just edit and add on to the first one.

Are you blind or something, i did apologies for doubleposting because i know there is a rule against it, what i tried to do was "EDIT", but i was very tired and klicked on the wrong one and it was quote instead.

The most important thing in a forum (i think) is that it is run smothly and that it is convenient for the users and "not" the mods. Rules are convenient for mods as well as forum members, if the rules are good and specific...

Now the rules aren't really stated high up on a wall or anything so you can see them. That is why i see people breaking the rules daily in this new forum. The new members don't read the rules because unlike the old gotwoot forum this new one doesn't hve three or more topics that are locked on the same place, easy to read in every single part of this forum. If the mods don't want people to doublepost (which happens alot more now than before) then just type it down and put it up high and f***** clear so people can see it. And that goes for the searchfunction, but this forum is so fucked up, things don't even work proparly, i can't even edit my own profile 'cause i can't even see it when i want to. There are a lot of bugs in this new forum that needs to be sorted out. And the mods have to stats the rules clear to everyone new so that they understand what goes. Otherwise, the forum will look like it looks right now, and now i quote, one from Broken Sword "And it is not a pretty one".

Rek
Sun, 04-18-2004, 09:48 AM
Uhm... I have found no problems with the forum at all.. only (one) time I've double posted was lag at the school... as a matter of fact, this is the 2nd best forum I've seen ... About your profile.. you can't see it? all you do is click on your icon... I've done it multiple times, and helped tass. So, I dunno, seems like a question for wilik to me.

But, seriously, new threads, as a few people have said, new episodes come, and everything changes. So, making a new thread about who hates Gaara after the I hate your guts satan child episode would prove different results, and even if you did resurrect an older thread with 100 some odd posts, most people wouldn't read 'em all and you'd get 5 more pages of repeats. And that wouldn't be gooooooood.

Enki
Sun, 04-18-2004, 11:32 AM
Why not just lock repeat threads only if the old thread is on the 1st page of threads? Even the 2nd page if theres alot of traffic. Does this make sense?

And the only time i use the search feature in a forum is when i don't really want to post anything, but rather to search for particular information. I suggest if anyone has a question to ask, they use the search first to see if it's allready been awnsered.

basey44
Sun, 04-18-2004, 11:45 AM
back to the topic

there was 1 time when i came close to crying and that was for gaara, he had such a hard life. i couldnt help but feel sorry for him

actually, lol, thats not what the topics about, whoops read it wrong.

who wants to bag me first

Assertn
Sun, 04-18-2004, 11:46 AM
but topics can end up on the 3rd page in less than a week

this argument is obviously (for the most part) going to be split to 2 sides......the side of the jounins and the side of the student/genins

Gods_Son
Sun, 04-18-2004, 12:26 PM
This thread is still about forum rules, not Naruto. Please lock this, or move it to General Discussion.

Mut
Sun, 04-18-2004, 02:10 PM
cry cry cry whine whine whine.

Shinji Ikari
Sun, 04-18-2004, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by: Konoha Rek
Uhm... I have found no problems with the forum at all.. only (one) time I've double posted was lag at the school... as a matter of fact, this is the 2nd best forum I've seen ... About your profile.. you can't see it? all you do is click on your icon... I've done it multiple times, and helped tass. So, I dunno, seems like a question for wilik to me.

No shit sherlock. I didn't say i couldn't watch my profile, to do that i just click on my small Sai that i have as avatar... But i can't "edit" it because when i try i get loads of error messages, rather, the whole profilepage where i edit is full of shit.

Assertnfailure... I've been a member for almost as long as you, so what is all this crap about the side is set by the titel of how many messages on this forum you have sent. That's bullshit, i am a forummember who is only Chuunin because most of the threads are pointless and no fun, so i don't fell responsible to take part in them. Otherwise i might be over the spamlimit of qualifying as a Jounin as well. There aren't that many threads of interest in such a small forum with such a small amount of members. However, this forum do have it's brighter moments, and this is a great place to talk about Naruto, and that is why it is of interest to me.

cry cry cry whine whine whine.

Real intelligent reply by you there.

Assertn
Sun, 04-18-2004, 04:47 PM
geez settle down spaz, thats why i said "for the most part"
the reason why you wouldnt side with us jounins anyway is because in being jounin, we've already participated in many of these same threads, and so they are even less fun than the pointless threads that arent repeated as much

Mut
Sun, 04-18-2004, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by: SamuraiOdin
Ok, so the pattern I'm seeing is that people are too lazy to use the search function, and I'm one of them. But do I let that stop me from making a new topic? No, I don't. And while this next recommendation might make people mad at me, I'll still give it. Make the topic anyway! Who cares if it gets locked? If you are too afraid to make a topic just because it might have been made before, then this board might eventually die.

you see... you're what i would call a typical, ignorant asshole. someone who doesn't care about anything, only cares about himself, and wants everything directly handed to them. what the hell do you mean "who cares if it gets locked?" the moderators don't want random newbies coming in here and breaking all the rules. the mods don't wanna babysit your asses. if you actually care to come to this forum and post in it, at least follow the rules. if you don't want to, why don't you just leave?

SamuraiOdin
Sun, 04-18-2004, 06:44 PM
Ok, so the pattern I'm seeing is that people are too lazy to use the search function, and I'm one of them. But do I let that stop me from making a new topic? No, I don't. And while this next recommendation might make people mad at me, I'll still give it. Make the topic anyway! Who cares if it gets locked? If you are too afraid to make a topic just because it might have been made before, then this board might eventually die.

Umm... on topic... I didn't cry...

frexeze
Sun, 04-18-2004, 08:46 PM
sorry this is bothering me.. did mut@t@ quote something that was posted after his..post..? i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif

Jeff_from_MD
Sun, 04-18-2004, 09:02 PM
If you are too afraid to make a topic just because it might have been made before, then this board might eventually die.

well uh, those ppl who would rather post new topics before at the very least skimming the first page aren't all that crucial to the forum anyway. Who on earth just speaks what he wants like mad and never listens to what anyone had to say within the past 24-48 hrs in other threads? It's a FORUM!! A PLACE where ppl LISTEN and DISCUSS

sry if this has been posted before, I was too lazy to read anyone else's.

frexeze
Mon, 04-19-2004, 04:15 PM
sry if this has been posted before, I was too lazy to read anyone else's.

lol i/expressions/rolleye.gif

Black Knight
Mon, 04-19-2004, 04:31 PM
first of all, everyone calm the fuck down.

maybe you werent around when we had the repeat thread epidemic, but i was. while the rule may result in a few good threads being locked, it stops a whole lot more (blatant repeats) from ever being made. no rule is perfect but in the long run, the benefits of this one outweigh the problems it causes.

Assertn
Mon, 04-19-2004, 07:05 PM
ive been around in the forums for quite some time now...but i've probably started no more topics than i could count on one hand
there's no need to all jumpy at any opportunity to create a topic

creating topics should be for people who want to contribute new and interesting thoughts and discussions to the forum....but that only works if its new and interesting

jing
Mon, 04-19-2004, 10:53 PM
Frankly I have no problem with repeated threads. As long as there isn't those "who is the strongest??" And one of the option was Kyubi. No threads with rhetorical questions... thats just a waste.

Gods_Son
Mon, 04-19-2004, 11:31 PM
I've seen thread repeats where two threads that are almost alike are both on the first page. Repeated threads aren't a big deal if it's been a couple weeks or so, but otherwise it's just laziness on the the makers part to not search for other similar threads.

v It's good that they're harsh v

saeadeb
Tue, 04-20-2004, 12:09 AM
Anyone who's been to multiple forums knows this is a widespread epidemic. It didn't originate in Gotwoot. I think the forum moderaters here are more harsh than a good deal of the other forums I've visited.

Mut
Tue, 04-20-2004, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by: saeadeb
I think the forum moderaters here are more harsh than a good deal of the other forums I've visited.

this HAS to be the most incorrect thing i've heard ever in this forums. you must've been joking around and forgot put sarcasm-tags.

Krbadass
Tue, 04-20-2004, 02:58 AM
Here is the answer to your question. With the cry thread, it was searched and found easily. The maker of that thread did not use the search. Your complaints have been noted, and i as a moderator will try to be more lenient on it. If you have anything else to add, just pm me or a different moderator. This has NOTHING to do with naruto and shouldn't have been made here.