PDA

View Full Version : feature request: direct post linking.

complich8
Thu, 04-15-2004, 05:39 AM
I'd like to see the ability to link to specific posts instead of just threads. This would give a finer grain of control over referring people to other relevant posts in potentially obscured threads (I've seen several links to threads with references like "third one up" or "fifth from the top").

I'm not sure how the database this stuff queries is designed, but golly do I think it'd be swell if we could have links to either post numbers in a thread or to unique post id's (either one would do just fine for the purposes I'd want the feature for i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif).

I've noticed there's both handy places for this (like next to the date in either direction, and the little icon next to the date which is already there could even be used for that) and code struture that'd seem to lend itself to the purpose.

^_^

Wilik
Thu, 04-15-2004, 08:44 AM
This can be done, theres just not really visable option on how to do it, but here is an example using your own topic...
http://forums.gotwoot.net/messageview.cfm?catid=12&threadid=9422&enterthread =y#118662

The '#118662' is where we tell it what post to view.

Raven
Thu, 04-15-2004, 09:45 AM
Maybe if each post in a thread is automatically numbered, people could say "refer to this thread, post 5" or whatever.

Just a thought.

complich8
Thu, 04-15-2004, 02:28 PM
so the feature is already there, just not .... particularly visible.

I can work with that ... so I guess the suggestion is "is there some easy way to make this visible?" -- right now the only way I see is to manually go into the thread and form a string based on the text of the other buttons (report to moderator, quote, reply)... I'd think since the mechanism is in place it'd be easy to tweak just a touch to make it visible.

Thanks for the reply wilik!