PDA

View Full Version : Dubbing Technologies

babyhomer
Wed, 04-14-2004, 07:24 AM
Hi All,

I'm curious... Are there voice technologies out there that will simulate a particular persons voice based on key phonetic's? Kinda like the mumbo jumbo they have in shows like Alias where they have to get a person to say particular phrases and they can then simulate their voice for other words that are used as passphrases.

I'm asking this as I was caught out with an anime series recently where I had watched the first few episodes as fan-subs, but then the DVDs were released so I watched the rest of the series from them. The dfferences in the voices from the Japanese to the English dubbing almost made me lose interest in it. Luckily they had both English and Japanese audio with the subtitles.

If the tech was available, couldn't they use the original voice actors voices, but have them speaking english as if it was their first language?

Cheers,

BH

bwabes
Wed, 04-14-2004, 06:26 PM
No.

Uberbaka
Thu, 04-15-2004, 05:55 AM
It would be able to sample a persons voice and try to make words with the sounds by chopping it up etc... However it'll sound unnatural and skippy. And it ESPECIALLY won't work between two languages where the pronounciations are different (the o sounds, a sounds, e sounds etc)...