PDA

View Full Version : Dark/horror anime

Swallow Your Soul
Tue, 04-13-2004, 11:17 AM
I've just seen Pet Shop of Horrors and thought it was pretty good...ever since I first got into anime I've wanted to find a series that was dark etc...closest I've come is PSoH and Hellsing (and Hellsing isn't even all that dark at all) so I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations. Also I saw Perfect Blue which is pretty cool...

I've heard (very briefly) about Full Metal Alchemist so I might check that out at some point though I don't have a clue what its about...but I could do with something that I could download by episode as all my BT downloads at the moment are more than a gigabyte and I need something new to watch.

Any horror/dark anime (preferably series or ova's but films'd be ok too).

Munsu
Tue, 04-13-2004, 11:24 AM
Dont know much about Horror... but some dark anime I recommend are...

Gilgamesh, Berserk, Texhnolyze, Blue Gender, Project ARMS.... Narutaru... maybe Hitsuji no Uta (Song of Sheep) OVA

I'll think of others and post them...

And yeah... when FMA wants to get dark.... it gets pretty dark...

I downloaded PSoH a week ago... i guess i'll watch it soon...

kaiserphenix
Tue, 04-13-2004, 11:30 AM
try lain or boogie pop phantom and if u will thrill if u love the story (but the both series are very hard to understand) 13 eps each

yenlowang
Tue, 04-13-2004, 11:42 AM
evangelion is very dark as well

btw anyone know where i can get PSoH?

Neko Sniper
Tue, 04-13-2004, 12:57 PM
I think you will find it here. http://www.boxtorrents.com/index.php i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif but last time I heared about it, it had no seeds.

itachi_
Tue, 04-13-2004, 01:09 PM
Gantz, the raw of ep01 is out, AonE will sub it, it's kinda psychological, it seems good, but still strange.

Swallow Your Soul
Tue, 04-13-2004, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by: yenlowang
evangelion is very dark as well

btw anyone know where i can get PSoH?

It is on suprnova and it has 4 seeds right now...

If you try to download it and you don't get a transfer rate let me know and I'll save the torrent again and run it...

lionheart1012000
Tue, 04-13-2004, 05:01 PM
nevermind this post, it was a fluke. *bangs his head against a wall for not reading the full post*

bwabes
Tue, 04-13-2004, 10:13 PM
I don't really consider Evagelion dark, but it's still good (except the last few episodes). A nice one that hasn't been mentioned is Paranoia Agent, which is being subbed by AnimeOne, incidentally. It's not exactly dark, but it can get very grisly at times. Watch the first few episodes and you'll know if you like it or not.

lionheart1012000
Tue, 04-13-2004, 10:20 PM
a dark one is Monster, ive read some of the manga, never really finished it cause i got side tracked with the Beck manga. but yeah monster is dark overall, its currently being subbed by anime-keep. so far only episode 1 is out.

yenlowang
Tue, 04-13-2004, 11:34 PM
found it at box torrents. thanks.

btw evagelion is hell dark when you consider the strong nihilistic undercurrent and self loathing that is the second half of the series + End of Eva. and almost everyone dies

Munsu
Wed, 04-14-2004, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by: lionheart1012000
a dark one is Monster, ive read some of the manga, never really finished it cause i got side tracked with the Beck manga. but yeah monster is dark overall, its currently being subbed by anime-keep. so far only episode 1 is out.

Yeah... I saw Monster a few days ago.... very good episode... i have no idea what this series is all about at the moment... but i liked it very much...

Lego
Wed, 04-14-2004, 03:18 AM
Monster, the manga at least, is extremly good. I reccomend it to anyone who has the chance.

But the two out now that i reccomend are Gantz, and Monster. Both have a very dark tone to them, especially gantz.

Gods_Son
Wed, 04-14-2004, 03:49 PM
I'd recommend Berserk, wait at least 3 episodes before recommending a series (Gantz). It might not be as good as you think.

bwabes
Wed, 04-14-2004, 06:28 PM
Yeah, Beserk is definitely a nice one, although the ending is weak. But I hear there's a new season coming out.

Rek
Wed, 04-14-2004, 06:50 PM
...I still have not seen the Berserk Ending... but its a great story... but, it's old so you'll notice the poor animation if you go from a newer anime such as: Naruto or Last Exile. (what I'm watching)

Boogie Pop Phantom was mentioned but not stressed enough. It is very dark, very enthralling, but there's not much action... still, its very good... worth buying.

But, if you Download Boogie Pop, don't delete it, because you will want to watch it again. And again... and maybe one more time... I'm not quite sure yet.

AkimichiChouji
Wed, 04-14-2004, 11:04 PM
Dark and creepy?? Heh here you go

1.Evangelion
2.Serial Experiment Lain
3.Ninja Scroll (well i think)
4.Nadesico isn't really creepy but it has a dark plot line
5.Slayers once again a dark plotline...very enjoyable to watch.
6.Tsukihime
7.Noir well not so much but good to watch

Thats what i can come up with from the top of my head for now
I will get back to you more tomorrow!

Xollence
Wed, 04-14-2004, 11:22 PM
I don't know, most of the dark and creepy ones seems to be hentai.

AkimichiChouji
Thu, 04-15-2004, 12:01 AM
Lol, thats very true to...I guess you can say series like La Blue Girl and Cool Devices have their twisted plotlines as well, even if it is a Hentai. Now that i think about it...Macross Plus (the movie) could be considered dark just for the fact that theres a computer AI that tries to make people kill themselves...with an awesome soundtrack in the background i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif....

I totally suggest to see that movie now, i think im going to watch it tomorrow!
Well thats my nite...talk to you guys again!

*Damn double enter my bad*

AkimichiChouji
Thu, 04-15-2004, 12:02 AM
Lol, thats very true to...I guess you can say series like La Blue Girl and Cool Devices have their twisted plotlines as well, even if it is a Hentai. Now that i think about it...Macross Plus (the movie) could be considered dark just for the fact that theres a computer AI that tries to make people kill themselves...with an awesome soundtrack in the background i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif....

I totally suggest to see that movie now, i think im going to watch it tomorrow!
Well thats my nite...talk to you guys again!

Uzumaki Naruto
Thu, 04-15-2004, 01:56 AM
you can try shingetsutan tsukihime, its a pretty dark and twisted anime but kinda short only 12 eps i think, it had me confused for awhile but i got the hang of the story and it will suprise you, well it did with me

AkimichiChouji
Thu, 04-15-2004, 07:46 AM
Ya, its one of those series you have to watch over again to see if you missed anything, since it gets confusing sometimes you might have to watch some scenes more then once to catch on. But its intense for sure.

Munsu
Sat, 04-17-2004, 11:50 PM
I watched the first episode of Le Portrait de Petit Cossette.... very good episode... you should try it... it is certainly a dark/horror anime you are looking for...

Stoopider
Sun, 04-18-2004, 02:05 AM
Full Metal Alchemist. Yup. I agree thats a dark one.
It's all cutesy, funny, laughy and nice. But shit. THeir monsters are damn disturbing. So is the plot itself. It's a very strange balance of nice and sweet anime and dark horror disturbing anime.

Brilliant stuff.

I think Monster is going to be another one too.

I don't think there are that many Dark Horror anime's. Because after a while, it kinda loses it's horrer-ness. I mean, like Hellsing, it is kinda horror in some episodes.. But after a while, it gets bland with the zombies and the strange doggies.

The only good Dark/Horror anime's are those that have a mix of ether elements (Ex. FMA, Shingsehutan Suhikime (vampire killin goodie) or Hellsing).

Therefore there aren't too many out there. Try and watch 'I know what you did last summer' or 'Haloween' and all it's stupid sequels one after another. You'll get what I mean.

Munsu
Sun, 04-18-2004, 02:53 AM
Another good one that I enjoyed was 100 Stories... anime-kraze finished it and anime-keep is up to 8 I think....