PDA

View Full Version : Manga: Pet Shop of Horrors

Swallow Your Soul
Mon, 04-12-2004, 07:37 PM
I've just watched the OVA and I really liked it, and I heard there was an original manga out (on which the OVA was based). What I don't know however - is how much of the story of the manga was put in the OVA.

Is there a lot of story in the manga that isn't in the anime? I'd like more of this story but I don't know if I want to buy a manga if it is pretty much the same as the anime OVA...

Jaitne
Fri, 08-01-2008, 03:51 AM
*sniffs* Everything I know is dead. And even though you're not here, or haven't been on in forever >.> I know this one.

They only showed four stories from the manga, basically all of them were from the first two or three books. There are ten volumes, filled with three to four stories each, sometimes. So there was a lot not in the OVA.

It wasn't necessarily an anime movie, anyway. It was just a movie. Though most of the stories have a dark or weird twist. There are a few that have a nicer ending for the people who bought the pet.

However, I've gotta say, they followed the stories they picked pretty well, in my opinion.

TheBladeChild
Fri, 08-01-2008, 11:14 AM
The moment Jaitne revived this thread, I checked it out, and was immediately sucked in. It was great, sad that it was only 4 stories, even sadder still that only 1 group scanlated the parts of volume 1 and 9, at which point they stopped and became inactive all back in 2006....
I hate watching/reading a anime/manga only to find that it was left incomplete damit....

Jaitne
Fri, 08-01-2008, 12:20 PM
I found out about the movie through the manga, which I thought was cool. Except I only started reading it after it all came out (which is what I've started doing now with a lot of other things, :D).

So.. I decided to write up a tiny summary about it. hehe. It doesn't have any real spoilers, unless you count what the book is about as a spoiler.

Well, the manga plot goes into that Count D owns a Pet shop in China Town, located in California. Now, he really does sell pets, a lot of the ones we get to see are exotic and rare pets.

Now, when you walk in, a lot of the pets look like something to you. Sometimes they look like normal pets, it all depends on the buyer and what Count D offers. When you come in and want to buy that pet, you have to follow a set of rules, and as in the anime, they must be followed or else bad things happen. Depending on which pet you get, there's the 'Don't show them off rule.'

Well, depending on if you get rules or not, or strict rules, some people follow the rules more than others. And if you don't, well you already signed a liability waver so it's not his fault if anything happens.

Now, the manga was better because it had more stories (in my opinion). I watched the ova just to see the one story with bunnies. From the first manga. So.. if you want to read some really weird story, that would be one!

I do also know that they made a new Pet Shop of Horrors manga, centered in Tokyo.
If that makes you feel better about stuff not being finished >.>