PDA

View Full Version : Naruto published Manga

Himura_san
Sun, 04-11-2004, 06:34 AM
I believe there are 3 volumes so far. Has anyone purchased them? any comments?
I am thinking of picking them up.
I did not see a post discussing this so I made a new one ;p

XwingRob
Sun, 04-11-2004, 12:06 PM
The translations are good. However they like to change the name of some of the justus. For example, they call Kage Bunshin Justu, "The Art of the Doppelganger".
I say...get them because its the honest thing to do..especially if you downloaded all the Naruto manga.

sangai
Sun, 04-11-2004, 12:47 PM
ii bought them and couldn't believe the crap viz put in there. they changed alot of the stuff.

but it is still good to buy them.

Winged Dancer
Sun, 04-11-2004, 01:50 PM
I just hate the way they translate the honorifics. As in "Master" instead of sensei. "Master" sounds just.... well, bad. Wrong, if you will. "Master Kakashi" is just not correct.
They should've used teacher, professor, or not use honorifics at all.
The problem with the jutsu has already been mentioned... attack names should've been left in the original japanese...

Other than that, its not so bad.

JusDaMan
Sun, 04-11-2004, 01:56 PM
I would say its not as good... They keep the japanese names when they shouldnt and they don't keep it when they should.

They called bloodlimit- kekkei genkai which i'm still ok with but im used to bloodlimit =)]

They called kaga bunshin no jutsu- art of the shadow doppelganger
Sexy no jutsu- art of centerfold
bunshin no jutsu art of doppelganger

ALL OF THOSE SHOULD BE SWITCHED =) thank god for fan sub scans

sangai
Sun, 04-11-2004, 02:02 PM
exactly, that is why i wish viz and 4 kidz would just drop off the face of the planet. id be so pissed if art of the centerfold was put into the dubbed episode and art of the doppelganger makes no sense. a doppleganger is a creature that is a copy of your self but is the opposites of every single one of your traits like if your good its bad. you got two arms it should have four or none.

Himura_san
Sun, 04-11-2004, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by: Winged Dancer
I just hate the way they translate the honorifics. As in "Master" instead of sensei. "Master" sounds just.... well, bad. Wrong, if you will. "Master Kakashi" is just not correct.
They should've used teacher, professor, or not use honorifics at all.
The problem with the jutsu has already been mentioned... attack names should've been left in the original japanese...

Other than that, its not so bad.

I agree with you, they don't need to translate every single word in the manga. Most people know what sensei means outside of Japan, and doppleganger? sheesh!
Is it black and white or did they color it? glossy?

XwingRob
Sun, 04-11-2004, 02:14 PM
Nah, its just black and white.

Death BOO Z
Sun, 04-11-2004, 02:26 PM
art of the doppelganger is stupid becuase is can mean so many things...

it would be a better version for Henge- since you take the form of another person\object, and therefore, you're a doppelganger of it.
Ninja centerfold isn't that bad, i guess, it's just that we've got used to SEXY! i guess "art of the SEXINESS!" would be lame too..

transelating suffix to english is allways a prolem, it's best to leave them all intact and stick notes all over the place (San- respect, Sama- more respect than San, Dono - more respect than Sama, often used for samurais), but the real problem is with accents, there's no way for Gaijin (like us) to tell the diffrence between Tokyo and Kyoto styles of speech, so they traselate it into "That i do" (kenshin degouzrio) and 'I say' and 'me thinks", which makes them sound like pirates...

Assertn
Sun, 04-11-2004, 04:04 PM
"art of the doppelganger" sounds too goofy to ever sound appropriate for a serious battle

this is why i fear naruto getting licensed......whats to stop THAT company from slaughtering the names of the moves (among other things) just as badly? Even in the subbed form wouldnt be safe

sangai
Sun, 04-11-2004, 04:08 PM
not only that the series i garuntee would have alot cut out at least in total time 6 eps and they would get rid of the guns.

hell 4 kids did in yu-gi-oh

and then what oh no all the kunais and swords and shurikens are gone. they barely allow fist fights.

Assertn
Sun, 04-11-2004, 10:36 PM
they'll replace the sword that oro's snake tongue thing spits out with a stick, and then he'll just smack sarutobi around with the legendary snake stick

sangai
Sun, 04-11-2004, 10:39 PM
hell his tongue will be erased for being to grotusque and then it will be just a sword that appears out of no where.

Kumiriko
Mon, 04-12-2004, 12:08 AM
When yu gi oh was new i noticed the missing gun that was suppose to be at that freak pagasuses head. But hell. Naruto will not go to 4-kids. It is a good serise. why would any company Let it go to an inferior company.

Xceleration
Thu, 04-15-2004, 11:22 PM
This is a ninja comic, not some stupid comic about knights. When Viz translated it, they "amercanized it too much" and I personally think it sucks. Fan Group Translations keep the original japanese meanings in them, and make it alot more enjoyable.

Reason
Fri, 04-16-2004, 07:50 AM
Ok, I have posted about this type of thing before...Obviously you guys haven't seen my post.

"Art of the Doppleganger" was used most likely because someone had the copyright for "Shadow Clone" or another variation. Alot of the things that get brought over are changed because of copyright issues. A friend I know that owns a Comicbook shop in town said 90% of all name changes/translation changes are due to someone having a copyright on the word and most likely they got the copyright in 1960's or some time ago. They also most likey were some no-name comic strip that owns the copyright, i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

- Reason -

obake
Fri, 04-16-2004, 06:10 PM
I, personally, don't have a problem with the Viz-produced Naruto. I think it's just fine. On the whole, the translations seem fine, and they did a good job of editing the sound effects without destroying the picture. On top of that, it is nice to have the comic in a paper form. Go ahead and buy them; you won't be disappointed.

Mut
Fri, 04-16-2004, 06:26 PM
personally, i don't think the manga is worth buying. naruto is awesome but not money worthy.

MemnochTheCaT
Fri, 04-16-2004, 06:54 PM
Wow that's kinda confusing .. while I'm for saving money as much as the next person, doesn't it strike you as a slightly problematic stance? I think quality artistic products should be supported by the people who enjoy them. However, I do not share the MPAA/RIAA kind of mentality where they don't want anything shared/distributed. For me personally, if I really like a anime/movie/song/etc, I will go out and actually buy it .. and if I am so unimpressed with it that I would never have bought it to begin with, then I don't worry about it.

Which brings me back to .. "naruto is awesome but not money worthy" .. do you consider any manga money-worthy? I might agree with 'overpriced', but not worthless, which is more or less what you are saying when you state that it's not money-worthy. i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif

Personally, I've enjoyed the Naruto series enough, that I will support Kishimoto and Co by paying for what I've been viewing for all these months. I just feel it's the right thing to do. I'm not trying to be critical here, just trying to understand. It seems like a lot of people (not necessarily you) think that they are somehow entitled to their entertainment for nothing ..

Mut
Fri, 04-16-2004, 08:19 PM
no, i don't consider any manga or anything related to anime or manga money worthy. money isn't the issue, i just don't like it enough for me to spend any on it. it could be like 2.99 i still wouldn't bother buying it.

JusDaMan
Fri, 04-16-2004, 09:58 PM
Hey I buy the american shonen jump books. they show 2 chapters of naruto per month. and rite now its faster than the actucal manga or Graphic novel as viz so stupidly call it =)

Daniel of Lorien
Sat, 04-17-2004, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by: Mut@t@
personally, i don't think the manga is worth buying. naruto is awesome but not money worthy.

from now on... Everything you say is stupid and wrong... repeat this over and over to get it through your head

Originally posted by: JusDaMan
Hey I buy the american shonen jump books. they show 2 chapters of naruto per month. and rite now its faster than the actucal manga or Graphic novel as viz so stupidly call it =)

wtf are you talking about... it is a graphic novel... jeez. It doesn't matter what you think it just matters what the truth is

EDIT:Please don't double post.

ComeComeParadise
Mon, 04-19-2004, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by: Daniel of Lorien

from now on... Everything you say is stupid and wrong... repeat this over and over to get it through your head

Exactly, why the fuck do you use the forums to talk about Naruto everyday if you don't like it that much? Doesn't make any sense to me.

rockmanj
Mon, 04-19-2004, 04:59 PM
i mean that is kinda backwards to say somethin is awesome, and then not support it; i mean i but jump, even though the translations suck, and even though i have every volume up to date on my harddrive. Its the right and honorable thing to do so that kishimoto and his assisstants are compensated for their hard work.

MemnochTheCaT
Mon, 04-19-2004, 05:09 PM
Hehe, Dazzz aka Mut@t@ aka Catloaf .. is a classic mainstay of the forums here, always provoking and pushing buttons and occassionally posting something brilliant... he's notorious for saying things like Kyuubi < Itachi i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

In all seriousness, however, I cannot much respect the stance of saying that the manga is worthless after reading 212 chapters of it .. seems like it would be more honorable to respect the artist's work by (A)- not choosing to read it, or (B)- actually pay for it if you DO enjoy it .. so, we're definitely at opposite ends of the spectrum in this regard.

Mut
Mon, 04-19-2004, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by: ComeComeParadise

Originally posted by: Daniel of Lorien

Exactly, why the fuck do you use the forums to talk about Naruto everyday if you don't like it that much? Doesn't make any sense to me.

did you guys bother reading this post? or did you guys decide to run your little mouths without reading what i said?

no, i don't consider any manga or anything related to anime or manga money worthy. money isn't the issue, i just don't like it enough for me to spend any on it. it could be like 2.99 i still wouldn't bother buying it.

i like naruto, i like a lot actually. but a lot of things aren't worth money to me. unless it's an absolute necessity or something i really need, i don't buy it. as a matter of fact, i don't own a lot of things. and you guys don't know me well enough make such irrational posts and say dumb things like that. so please, refrain from posting retarded thoughts.

jesus christ, you guys are forcing me to flame you guys.

MemnochTheCaT
Mon, 04-19-2004, 06:01 PM
It could just be me, but it seems like calling something worthless while 'liking it a lot', is a bit disrespectful to the artist(s) who work to creates the series. Not agreeing with you on your way of looking at this isn't retarded, it's just different.

I feel lucky that I am able to have Naruto to enjoy, thanks to a variety of people starting with Kishimoto and including the publishers and fan community who translates it and distributes it for us. I do NOT feel entitled to it for free, and I will purchase Naruto manga as it becomes available to me, because it is the right thing to do, IMHO. Disagree all you want, but don't call my comments retarded because you don't feel the same way.

ComeComeParadise
Mon, 04-19-2004, 07:09 PM
Dazzz\Mut@t@: I don't think anything I said was dumb or irrational; I simply don't understand how you can have 1409 posts on a manga\anime related forum and then say that manga\anime isn't worth any financial support. To each his own I suppose, but it puzzles me.

MemnochTheCaT
Mon, 04-19-2004, 07:14 PM
Yeap, CCP .. that's pretty much the same thing I was trying to get at. Catloaf just thinks really differently, I suppose.

I think what is clear, is that he is going to stick by his sentiment that manga/anime is worthless, while still reading/watching it, and spending time discussing it in a forum. After all, Catloaf is always right i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

Mut
Mon, 04-19-2004, 07:18 PM
i never called your comments retarded and i wasn't even talking to you. i was talking about the guys i quoted. and i never called naruto worthless, i just said a lot of things isn't worth spending money on and naruto happens to be one of them. let me make an example, a george foreman grill is not worth spending money on cuz i can live without it. now, just replace the grill with naruto. THERE.

EDIT: response to below:

sigh... people still don't get it. first, i'm not angry, just annoyed. let me make it more clear. if naruto was licensed and the manga couldn't be scanlated forever from now on and the only way i can read more naruto manga is to buy it (price doesn't matter), i would not do a single thing about it. i wouldn't care. i'd say, 'wow, that sucks, but oh well' and i'd just get on with my life. naruto is just 'right now' kind of thing, i don't like spending money on things if it's not gonna last for VERY LONG time (eg. computer, car, etc.).

as for the music downloading thing... i've downloaded tons of music from the internet, and i STILL buy the cd's that i REALLY like. but anime/manga is just different to me, not money worthy. sounds contradictory, but if you don't get it, don't worry about it.

MemnochTheCaT
Mon, 04-19-2004, 07:56 PM
Lol yikes it's an angry catloaf!!!! I'm not sure where your analogy is going .. George Foreman grills aren't free, so obviously you wouldn't have one if you didn't think it was worth it. Although Naruto is being distributed by fan-groups, but it's still an artistic product owned by Kishimoto .. I don't think it's quite right to enjoy 200+ chapters of someone's work, post hundreds and hundreds of posts (obviously it's worth something to you if you spend this much time on it), and then say that you wouldn't even pay a dime for it.

On cold, hard reality .. I understand what you're trying to say .. you don't want to pay for anything unless it's absolutely necessary, I just don't approve of the free-loading attitude you express .. I'm glad that not everyone feels that way (especially in Japan), otherwise there wouldn't BE any manga/anime to enjoy, because the artists would have to find other ways to earn their income ..

It's sort of like the music sharing debate, which I am a middle-grounder on .. I believe it should be legal to share the work, on the basis that it is very handy in checking out new or hard to find artists/songs before you buy them, or to replace music that you had already bought but had lost (nothing sux like buying the same thing twice!) .. but that if you find something you really like, you go out and support the people who are responsible for creating what (A)- they worked on to produce, and (B)- you enjoy. If you don't like what you downloaded, just delete it.

Too bad the argument seems to divide so many people into two distinct groups :

(1)- Selfish free-loaders who think that they should have it all for free ..
(2)- Selfish corporations who want to sue the crap out of everyone and kill open sharing ..

Sad, really.

ComeComeParadise
Mon, 04-19-2004, 10:34 PM
naruto is just 'right now' kind of thing, i don't like spending money on things if it's not gonna last for VERY LONG time (eg. computer, car, etc.)

And a George Foreman Grill isn't a long-term investment? Obviously you don't own one...

Mut
Tue, 04-20-2004, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by: ComeComeParadise

naruto is just 'right now' kind of thing, i don't like spending money on things if it's not gonna last for VERY LONG time (eg. computer, car, etc.)

And a George Foreman Grill isn't a long-term investment? Obviously you don't own one...

first of all, i do own a george foreman grill, buddy. but whatever, it was a shitty example. second, pay attention to what i'm actually talking about instead of getting technical with grills.