PDA

View Full Version : Literacy

SideLabel
Sat, 04-10-2004, 02:55 PM
I've been a member on this forum since around September of last year (plus or minus a month or two), and sadly enough, I really do not like this forum. It is not that I don't like the topics of discussion, well, most of them anyway. What puts me off is the level of illiteracy here. Nothing disinterests me more than seeing "wat do u think of this?" in the topic title line. It looks like something a two year old would write. I can go on and give hundreds of examples, but that is not the point. The point is, what do you think about this illiteracy going around?

Personally, I think it is a sad business. Students in Europe write better English than students at the same age in America. How the hell does this happen? I can not fathom how a person who has grown up with the language cannot manage to spell simple words like "trailer", "you", "without", "cancer", etc.

So, what is your opinions?

itachi_
Sat, 04-10-2004, 03:01 PM
I agree, but I don't bitch about that, let them writhe however they want too, as long as it's readable.

Mut
Sat, 04-10-2004, 03:03 PM
well, i have no problem with it. nowadays, people just don't care about grammar or spelling because of the spell check feature (even though we don't have one here). people are just either lazy or stupid. maybe both. but you shouldn't let that get to you. just brush it off =D

JusDaMan
Sat, 04-10-2004, 03:24 PM
im jus lazy cuz i dun feel lyke wryting alot. itz alot EZier 2 rite lyke dis cuz der isnt as much to rite.

In anycase i dont give a dam as long as its readable Lol. I am 1 of them who write like that. well not really but similar. almost all important doctors in america write like chicken scratch. Cause i heard a roomer that the more chicken scratch the doctor writes the better he is. Just look at it! ah well.

back to the subject. as long as people can read this it dont matter Lol.

SK
Sat, 04-10-2004, 03:44 PM
LOL, this is truely ridiculous in my opinion. For one why would how someone writes on the internet upset you so much? Then, you bring up that European students can write better English than students in America? Where do you get off on saying that? Do you know every student in America and every student in Europe and can actually say, "Yes every 10 year old in Europe writes better English than every 10 year old in America." To me that sounds like you are very nitpicky about online lingo. If I'm talking to my friends online I'll say wat instead of what, or prolly instead of probably. It's shorter and easier, and if you can understand them, then I don't see a problem.

Assertn
Sat, 04-10-2004, 04:08 PM
being able to communicate instantaneously with lots of people by means of typing is to blame. I write differently when im chatting on AIM or on message boards than say, when im writing a term paper or anything that requires a more formal level of conversation. In the forums though, i just speak whats on my mind, and alot of times my train of thought shifts even as i type, so sometimes my grammer gets a little sketchy in some places because of it. But stuff like "wtf" and "lol" for example is just shorthand recreated by a new generation for a new method of communication

Lego
Sat, 04-10-2004, 04:09 PM
Im on the internet a lot. Since i live in south florida, it lets me connect to the world. Through out my life on the internet, ive learned l33t sp34k and other things.

When i used to be in highschool i caught myself going U instead of you and various other things.

Im no sticklar for online grammer, hell i don't even put a period after everything i type. The people i can't stand are the ones that seem to have nothing better to do then correct your grammar in chat rooms and such:

Bob:Man there going to the ball game
Stui/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gifMFG IT R THEIR YOU DOBJAJ!

Stuff like that bothers me.

Ive yet to meet someone who talks like that in real life. Well aside from the owned and stuff. Ive said owned after stuff so have friends.

Hell, i love to read, not most books mind you.

What people don't realize, in chatrooms,on website for games and stuff, you probably read a books worth each day.

hiddenpookie
Sat, 04-10-2004, 05:01 PM
Stop whining. No one is going write perfect for you. and for your comfort. so get used to it. SO what about europe and there kids write better?

Swallow Your Soul
Sat, 04-10-2004, 06:08 PM
As long as it is readable I don't see a problem...if it is confusing to read then it might be annoying but that is quite rare.

Personally I think something I do a lot would be much more annoying (the way I constantly do this '...') i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

Lego
Sat, 04-10-2004, 06:16 PM
werd (http:// <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href=http://]http://ermac.net/i/werd.jpg)">[/IMG</a>

r3n
Sat, 04-10-2004, 06:24 PM
i use shorthand terms like "u" etc cos im lazy. some ppl are jst bad at spelling cos english may not be their first language. im jst glad the forum isnt in swedish i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

and with regards to ppl who's second language is english speaking it betr than some of those who have grown up with it - my best friend is from austria and moved to scotland 2 years ago, he arrived with no english and within 2 years managed to get a better grade in his finals in english than 3/4 of the rest of scotland sitting the same exam i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif. then again scottish ppl are naturally retarded at english i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

Swallow Your Soul
Sat, 04-10-2004, 06:43 PM
I think it probably works from people getting lazier with their writing (also things like AIM don't help i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif)...I know that whenever I did German at school I never made any spelling mistakes as they were taught much more formally...wheras sometimes I now find I misspell the occasional word...sometimes because I see so many different spellings on the web (ie when other people misspell a word), and also situations where American spelling is different from English spelling and I eventually get confused as to which is which i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif. Over time, my spelling has degraded slightly, and I imagine it is the same for a lot of other people...

complich8
Sat, 04-10-2004, 09:12 PM
I know a lot of people IRL, and I've found that the base level at which you do most of your communication tends to be the level on which people classify you.

In other words, if your speech (in your native language) is riddled with flaws and general bad formulations of the language, you're probably an idiot.

My roommate is observing this phenomenon in mmorpg's and fps games as well, and has noticed the same trend. People who tend not to know the difference between their and they're and there, or people who speak in constant abbreviations and with massive misspellings everywhere... they tend to require more instruction to get to the same level. Generally the people who can write clearly can also read and understand instructions, and have better grasps of game strategy and mechanics as a result, where people who can't tend to do stupid things like rolling off cliffs or bumrushing dragons without armor, and they're just generally not as fun to play with because of their failure to grasp nuances of the game.

My roommate's theory is that he can give anyone with terrible grammar and spelling a 3 month headstart playing any game (be it fps or rpg) and he'll be a better player of that game within a month. So far this has held completely true.

I think there's too much acceptance of people not knowing their own language. Language is the framework for human thought and understanding, and if the frame of your house is weak, your house will be weak.

Rek
Sat, 04-10-2004, 09:37 PM
wow... that's pretty funny... and if he goes thru psychology... he has a thesis statement...

shadowmantis
Sat, 04-10-2004, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by: SideLabel

*are

i have no beef with punctuation, but using 'shortcuts' can tick me off. i use some, myself, though. like 'omg', 'wtf' and 'lol'. but i try to moderate it. i absolutely hate it when people mix up 'your' with 'you are'. a lot of stuff pisses me off on irc and forums. but it's not worth it, because.. well.. it doesn't really matter.

SK
Sat, 04-10-2004, 11:14 PM
It's strange to me that other ppl's (or people's) grammar will piss you off, especially if you can understand what theyre saying. If I'm talking in a game such as an MMORPG or on AIM I always use lingo, it's just easier and faster. I know a lot of people, including myself, who have the worst grammar in chat rooms, and on AIM, or on online games but in real life never really talk or write like that. If you heard me talk you would never think I take AP English, but to me it doesn't matter how you talk or how your grammar is online, because most people aren't dumb enough to write that on a paper.

complich8
Sun, 04-11-2004, 01:03 AM
at the same time, if you let yourself live mainly in a lower level, the higher one becomes rusty, difficult and awkward to use. Keep your knife sharp and clean, and you'll have a sharp clean knife. Let your knife rust and dull and you'll have a scrap of metal.

I don't really have a problem with people using abbreviations or shortcuts or jargon terms (when my roommate said "let's go run crates" to his brother who was visiting for the weekend, I know he's suggesting "Let's go and try to kill as many crate dragons as possible for loot and to kill the time" -- but there's a big difference between using community specific language and not having the general language skills to correctly use jargon to begin with.

I think the thing that irritates me personally more than anything is when people are too lazy to bother reading what people have written before. A quick scan of #animeone's recent chat will clearly demonstrate that every 20 minutes someone asks something along the lines of "no naruto 78 this week?" and "did naruto 78 air" -- and when you look in the naruto section you'll see the epitome of this. TWO threads, both locked. One was started one hour after the other was locked. WHY did the original poster of the second thread not look for the first thread before he posted? SHEER IDIOCY. that's why. The thread would have been in the top 4 or 5 active topics, even though it was locked.

It's not actually "Illiteracy" (the inability to read) but "aliteracy" (lack of willingness to read or to learn). If you can read along with the subs fast enough to keep up, you're not illiterate, but aliterate is probably worse. People believe the old saying "ignorance is bliss" and so choose to live their lives clueless, not trying to learn or grasp situations. This fundamendal desire not to think is a problem, and is the biggest enemy of modern science -- why think, why learn when you can get someone else to do it for you, or just muddle through halfassed without getting anything from what you do.

Mut
Sun, 04-11-2004, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by: complich8
at the same time, if you let yourself live mainly in a lower level, the higher one becomes rusty, difficult and awkward to use. Keep your knife sharp and clean, and you'll have a sharp clean knife. Let your knife rust and dull and you'll have a scrap of metal.

I don't really have a problem with people using abbreviations or shortcuts or jargon terms (when my roommate said "let's go run crates" to his brother who was visiting for the weekend, I know he's suggesting "Let's go and try to kill as many crate dragons as possible for loot and to kill the time" -- but there's a big difference between using community specific language and not having the general language skills to correctly use jargon to begin with.

I think the thing that irritates me personally more than anything is when people are too lazy to bother reading what people have written before. A quick scan of #animeone's recent chat will clearly demonstrate that every 20 minutes someone asks something along the lines of "no naruto 78 this week?" and "did naruto 78 air" -- and when you look in the naruto section you'll see the epitome of this. TWO threads, both locked. One was started one hour after the other was locked. WHY did the original poster of the second thread not look for the first thread before he posted? SHEER IDIOCY. that's why. The thread would have been in the top 4 or 5 active topics, even though it was locked.

It's not actually "Illiteracy" (the inability to read) but "aliteracy" (lack of willingness to read or to learn). If you can read along with the subs fast enough to keep up, you're not illiterate, but aliterate is probably worse. People believe the old saying "ignorance is bliss" and so choose to live their lives clueless, not trying to learn or grasp situations. This fundamendal desire not to think is a problem, and is the biggest enemy of modern science -- why think, why learn when you can get someone else to do it for you, or just muddle through halfassed without getting anything from what you do.

WORD.

bitwar
Sun, 04-11-2004, 02:08 AM
I for one have problems typing in online shorthand (or whatever the hell you want to call it). It takes more time to think to type "OMG" than it does to just put "oh my God." It doesn't bother me so much that people will do things like this in an online forum, but when I see this lazy approach to written communication leak into their English papers (in college no less) I get more than a little upset. I had to do a joint paper with a partner who, I discovered, didn't quite have the college level grasp of grammar I expected. She typed the paper based on our rough draft because she typed faster than I, and I didn't check the paper because I got severely ill. When we got the paper back I found that our grade was marked down because she used "by" in place of "buy." I've learned not to trust people to have a good grasp of English, except for my girlfriend (English major) who is constantly correcting me.

What really annoys me on forums is when people posts something that takes me more time to read than it should because I have to figure out where their sentences are supposed to end and what all the abbreviations are supposed to represent. Being casual in forums like this is one thing, but being stupid is another. I don't go back through and check my spelling or otherwise treat each post as an English paper. I do make sure that what I said makes some kind of sense and that my grammar is solid enough for people to understand me.

Oh and about not reading what's already been posted, I believe I saw a third episode 78 thread. Baka.

Uzumaki Naruto
Sun, 04-11-2004, 02:23 AM
we type like that bc its takes to long to type in the whole thing, so we shorten it by typing as some ppls would say Ghetto, u shuold give it a try u might like it, plus alot of us here chat on aim and if u chat on aim then u would do the same thing we are doing

Gods_Son
Sun, 04-11-2004, 02:47 AM
What a stupid thing to complain about

complich8
Sun, 04-11-2004, 03:04 AM
This brings up another valid point, Uzumaki ....

People abbreviate things because "it takes too long to type the whole thing in" ... which is fine. But can you really say that you still type the 30-40 cpm you did when you first started using "u"? I got my first computer 4 and a half years ago, and now type closer to 450 cpm on a bad day. If you're thinking so fast that you can't take the time to type "you" then either you should slow down and reconsider your words, or you should realize that you're only saving yourself 2 keystrokes while looking like dumbass in the process.

A bad abbreviation is one that doesn't save a significant number or significant percentage of keystrokes. Compare "u" to "stfw" -- "u" shortens "you" by 2 characters, saving you two keypresses. On the other hand, "stfw" shortens "search the fucking web" by 18 or so keypresses. If you're typing 180 cpm, "search the fucking web" will take you about 10 seconds to write, where "stfw" will take you more like 1-2 seconds, for a savings of a whole 8 seconds of your life. On the other hand the time you save thinking "I'll abbreviate you to u" and finding the "u" key isn't significant. As you get to be a faster typist, you would probably tend to move away from the tradeoff "look like an idiot but type a bit faster" with the diminished returns of the cost of keystrokes.

I recommend www.typera.tk to get you over your inability to type as fast as you think, I'd call 150-200 cpm a fairly "normal" range where you can probably keep up with your mental dialogue without too much difficulty. If you're below that you should consider finding a copy of the game "Typing of the Dead" -- which is the greatest learning-to-type game ever created, and get faster.

Of course, refusal to improve at a skill because you're attached to shortcuts also falls under that "aliteracy" thing... the attitude "I will not improve myself or my abilities" is in my opinion despicable, changing you from a human to a useless husk, a waste of biomass and at best a replacable nearly valueless consumer.

SideLabel
Sun, 04-11-2004, 03:31 AM
Originally posted by: KonohamaruCorps

Jesus, where the hell are you guys comming with this "whining" and "complaining" accusations from? I am merely worried, because this generation is going to be in charge of the U.S when we grow up, and the president of the U.S using "u", "lol", and so forth, would be very, very sad. I guess you could I say I am worried about the future, and I want to know why people shorten and abreviate words that are easy to spell in the first place. This is merly to soothe my curiosity, and if anyone calls that complaining, well, they can go shove it up their ass for all I care.

As far as I can tell, it seems most people shorten words and use abreviations to save time or make it easier to type. All fine and good; if that is what they want to do, I sure as hell won't be their mother and say they can't. But is it really worth looking like an idiot to save a few seconds off your life, which you are probably going to spend on the computer anyway?

PS: I am not a perfect speller, jesus christ. We all make mistakes

Raven
Sun, 04-11-2004, 04:21 AM

Originally posted by: KonohamaruCorps

Jesus, where the hell are you guys comming with this "whining" and "complaining" accusations from? I am merely worried, because this generation is going to be in charge of the U.S when we grow up, and the president of the U.S using "u", "lol", and so forth, would be very, very sad. I guess you could I say I am worried about the future, and I want to know why people shorten and abreviate words that are easy to spell in the first place. This is merly to soothe my curiosity, and if anyone calls that complaining, well, they can go shove it up their ass for all I care.
Sheesh, you're acting as if every single person does it, and the country is doomed! There are lots of people who do it properly. Don't worry, I'm sure the person who becomes president in the next generation will use proper English.

Lego
Sun, 04-11-2004, 05:04 AM
Jesus, where the hell are you guys comming with this "whining" and "complaining" accusations from? I am merely worried, because this generation is going to be in charge of the U.S when we grow up, and the president of the U.S using "u", "lol", and so forth, would be very, very sad

This is what were trying to say. Step out of the computer/gameing/anime world for a moment. How many people, professionally do you see going omg u r sign meh contractorz?

None.

People talk like this in short form, created various words mainly for chatrooms,games,and the internet in general.

I don't know about all of you, but i have a tough day at work, used to at school, or just wanted to get away, i would come to the internet.

Here i wouldn't have to cross my T's and dot my I's , i could just be myself and type shorthand.

I HATEEEEEEEEEE, with all those E's, someone telling me to spell out what i mean.

Come on, were not in school. Ive met people that type like you've described in real life. They are extremly inteligent people.

When i went to ACPL in boston last year(Asherons Call player luncheon) a bunch of players that were trash talkers, and general omg u r funnay typers, were buissness professionals and the like.

r3n
Sun, 04-11-2004, 05:40 AM
Originally posted by: bitwar
I for one have problems typing in online shorthand (or whatever the hell you want to call it). It takes more time to think to type "OMG" than it does to just put "oh my God."

lies, after a while its the first thing that springs to mind when ur typing to some1 else and u feel the urge to type "oh my god". atleast for me, i use a whole bunch of abbreviations and to type out each one in full would become tiresome in a long conversation.

what complich8 says about ppls literacy determining their general cleverness is total rubbish imo, im applying for physics at uni, and while down visiting the university i am applying to i was given a few lectures, and during these i noticed a few spelling and grammar mistakes that a "clever" person wouldnt have made. but the fact is the ppl that gave these lectures have IQs way above average and considered some of the brightest ppl in the UK. it could be they were never properly taught the english language in the first place, but most likely its jst that over time ppl get used to the auto correct function on a PC, or a persons mind is more geared towards something else such as sports or maths (im from the UK so its not "math", you dont say "mathematic" do you? no its "mathematics" therefore "maths" if shortened) rather than language.

well thats my rant over

SK
Sun, 04-11-2004, 07:47 AM
hehe r3n, I think we just say 'math' short for MATHematics. I know if I'm talking to my friends theres no point in using proper grammar, for one the conversation won't be graded so what do I care if its not proper grammar lol. Anyway thats kinda strange your worried about the next generation who will eventually be running this country having bad grammar...even if they did...does grammar have anything to do with common sense and decision making?

r3n
Sun, 04-11-2004, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by: -Sharingan-Kakashi-
hehe r3n, I think we just say 'math' short for MATHematics. I know if I'm talking to my friends theres no point in using proper grammar, for one the conversation won't be graded so what do I care if its not proper grammar lol. Anyway thats kinda strange your worried about the next generation who will eventually be running this country having bad grammar...even if they did...does grammar have anything to do with common sense and decision making?

i agree tbh, who cares if the next president uses "u" instead of you. imo the whole langauge should be changed to shorthand, half of the english words arent even pronounced the way theyre spelt, its stupid.

Jman
Sun, 04-11-2004, 01:18 PM
I've been a member on this forum since around September of last year (plus or minus a month or two), and sadly enough, I really do not like this forum. It is not that I don't like the topics of discussion, well, most of them anyway. What puts me off is the level of illiteracy here. Nothing disinterests me more than seeing "wat do u think of this?" in the topic title line. It looks like something a two year old would write. I can go on and give hundreds of examples, but that is not the point. The point is, what do you think about this illiteracy going around?

Personally, I think it is a sad business. Students in Europe write better English than students at the same age in America. How the hell does this happen? I can not fathom how a person who has grown up with the language cannot manage to spell simple words like "trailer", "you", "without", "cancer", etc.

What are your opinions?

JusDaMan
Sun, 04-11-2004, 02:08 PM

As far as I can tell, it seems most people shorten words and use abreviations to save time or make it easier to type. All fine and good; if that is what they want to do, I sure as hell won't be their mother and say they can't. But is it really worth looking like an idiot to save a few seconds off your life, which you are probably going to spend on the computer anyway?

PS: I am not a perfect speller, jesus christ. We all make mistakes

The next president that starts using abriviactions im gonna vote for them. Kno y? cause they kno how the real world works. The current president (bush) he duno shit about anything. Going to war on iraq cause of wat? "war on terrorism"? or war for the oil. Man if bush's dad didnt almost died cause of saddam bush wouldn't do shit. He aint never been poor before so he wouldn't kno how the "Average" man feel or act. He cant survive a week in the streets of NY harlem or detroit without money. if the president starts using "lol, y, u, wth, stfu, etc, etc" he would be a president worth voting for. he knows wats going on in the streets. he won't be focusing on "war on terrioism". See if Clinton was still president in 9/11 he would have tooken out osama like that silently. not bomb the whole iraqian government.

CLINTON FOR PRESIDENT CAUSE HES BLACK!
THAT VIETNAM WAR GUY FOR PRESIDENT CAUSE I DONT LIKE BUSH!

yea aite im gonna shut up now i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

Assertn
Sun, 04-11-2004, 02:11 PM
ive heard of people using stuff like that while talking on the phone these days
like someone actually said "lol" over the phone once....and not just each letter ("L-O-L"), she casually said it like "lol" as in "lollipop"

now THAT is just sad i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

bitwar
Sun, 04-11-2004, 02:13 PM
I don't use three letter abreviations for my posts or anything else for which I use full sentences. It really does take me longer to think "oh my god," decide to abreviate it, and then type "OMG." And I see no point in getting into the habbit. If I felt like it, yeah sure it would eventually take less time and save me less than a whole second typing it that way. But right now, for me, it takes longet to type in "OMG" thatn it does to just put down "oh my god." So don't jump on my statements and lebel them as lies.

Gods_Son
Sun, 04-11-2004, 02:26 PM
yea, I've heard girls say jk jk (just kidding), but it's not like they don't get made fun of for it. Online, all those abbreviations are accepted, just deal with it.

v good job on the assignment v

Assertn
Sun, 04-11-2004, 02:31 PM
i like to use words like "OMG" and "WTF" just to make fun of it....like this site i made for a really stupid and pathetic assignment i got in my WWW class
OMGITSTREES (http://hilltop.bradley.edu/~sschelte/365/trees/)

yep, im always serious with my work i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

Mut
Sun, 04-11-2004, 04:46 PM
internet talk is fine as long as it's only used through the internet. NEVER is it allowed during an actual non-internet conversation.

Uzumaki Naruto
Sun, 04-11-2004, 09:45 PM
true that

Lego
Sun, 04-11-2004, 09:48 PM
internet talk is fine as long as it's only used through the internet. NEVER is it allowed during an actual non-internet conversation

Thats what im trying to say. I don't give a dam how you talk to me online as long as i can read it. But if i meet you on the street and you start going , "OMFG I RL EET N))BAJ! , im gonna think somethings wrong with you.

Rek
Sun, 04-11-2004, 10:20 PM
wait... so, "oh em eff gee, eye are elle e e tee in parenthesis parenthesis bee ay jay exclamation point" would kinda creep you out? I thot people stared at me because of my crappy haircut. -_-

complich8
Mon, 04-12-2004, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by: r3n
im applying for physics at uni, and while down visiting the university i am applying to i was given a few lectures, and during these i noticed a few spelling and grammar mistakes that a "clever" person wouldnt have made. but the fact is the ppl that gave these lectures have IQs way above average and considered some of the brightest ppl in the UK. it could be they were never properly taught the english language in the first place, but most likely its jst that over time ppl get used to the auto correct function on a PC, or a persons mind is more geared towards something else such as sports or maths

You can't apply statements like "People who speak like complete fucking morons probably are" to people like that. It's precisely like you said, these physics profs and math profs and such don't care as much about perfect language as long as they're able to communicate. They tend to rely on diagrams and demonstrations and equations to speak for themselves, and less on their own ability to verbally express things. Which is fine.

On the other hand, can you say the average counterstriker can draw you a free body diagram? Much less one that makes sense and is accurate?

I'm not saying that spelling and grammar that are a little weak imply the person is an idiot. I'm saying that people with drastic fundamental lacks of basic skills in their native language tend to be idiots.

Besides, the people you're using as a counterexample arguably don't use english as a first language anyway -- math is usually their "first" with english (or something else) being a second. Read any doctoral level physics, math or engineering thesis (I've tried, out of curiousity). You'll find like 15 words you've seen before, a couple dozen you haven't seen before, and a bunch of triple-half integrals and various mathematical symbols that having gone through multivariate calculus, linear algebra and differential equations you probably still wont' recognize (I know I didn't in the three or four that I looked through). It's predominantly NOT in english, it's in math.

Familiarity with a language determines your ability to formulate coherent thoughts, and lack of a solid language correlates with lack of a good framework for thinking and reasoning, is all I'm sayin'.

(and who the hell cares whether it's 'math' or 'maths' -- I'll justify 'math' by 'mathematical language' so nyeah i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif)

Baka-chan
Mon, 04-12-2004, 12:44 AM
first off, well put everyone...

secondly, who gives a shit

lastly, whats the point of writing formal on the internet to other people who don't care how you type. theres a huge difference between TYPING and TALKING. so of course we don't say omg and lol, that'd be stupid. we can't help it if the nation has become a bunch of lazy asses, lol. i personally don't think its such a big deal that "this generation that will be running the US" can't type. so stupid....

gokudagreat
Mon, 04-12-2004, 12:45 AM
I find it funny that you started this post annoyed by the "illiteracy" of the users on the forum. "Illiteracy" means to not read, not to mispel. Whos illiterate now, biatch!

...just kidding, who really cares man it just saves time

Mut
Mon, 04-12-2004, 12:47 AM
il·lit·er·a·cy ( P ) Pronunciation Key (-ltr--s)
n. pl. il·lit·er·a·cies
1. The condition of being unable to read and write.
2. An error, as in writing or speech, made by or thought to be characteristic of one who is illiterate.
3. The condition or quality of being ignorant or unknowledgeable in a particular subject or field: cultural illiteracy; scientific illiteracy.

move along now, nothing to see here.

r3n
Mon, 04-12-2004, 05:14 AM
jusdaman theres already a thread about the iraq war. could act use some support there i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif seem to be fighting a 1 man cause

JusDaMan
Mon, 04-12-2004, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by: r3n
jusdaman theres already a thread about the iraq war. could act use some support there i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif seem to be fighting a 1 man cause

=) Ty Lol, im just some dood who has a big mouth that dont like bush thats all... nothing really. I blame everything on him.

hiddenpookie
Mon, 04-12-2004, 10:47 AM
yep ghetto lnaguage let me give u a wonderful example
bRo0 wAt iSz rOnG` wiiF yOoU pEoPle` yO` pEoPlE aReNd` eVen fOcUsiiNg` oNn tHa tOpiiC... ii ThiiNk thA qTesZt ` cUpLe iSz mAh hOmiiE eLy `nD GaBii... aLsZo mAh bOii` jOoEl `Nd mAh hOmE gUrL LiDdO` ViiCkii`
aLso kAriiNa `nD mAh hOmiiE tOmaSz... bUenO dAhsZ` wUh` ii diiNk` bUh` biiEsz...

mAd LuB tO dEsE` bOiiSz` `nD gUrlSz

yOuR BoY jAy... now u know i would type like this but nah...

r3n
Mon, 04-12-2004, 11:14 AM
1ts b3tt0r 2 t4lk 1n 1337 sp34k, l00ks pr0. 0r j00 c4n g0 3x3tr3m3 1337 sp34k0r:

|-|0\/\/ |2 _|00 2[)4Y? 1 |2 F1|\|3 7|-|&gt;&lt;. |3|_|7 5[]D34|&lt;1|\| |_1|&lt;3 7|-|15 74|&lt;35 4 \/\/|-|1|_3 2
\/\/|2173

SK
Mon, 04-12-2004, 01:28 PM
Please dont call it ghetto language...do you live in the ghetto? Sounds prejudice to me calling not being able to type ghetto...
Anyway...what that guy said about not being able to write means not having good reasoning skills, thats idiotic man. Have you ever heard of street smarts? My uncle dropped out of school in the 6th grade, owns
10 houses, and is doing pretty good for himself, just bought a $400k house. I know a few, considered great civlizations where most of the population were illiterate, but then why were they so great? Being able to type, or read, or have perfect grammar doesnt guarentee success. I would rather be street smart and have common sense then to have good grammar and be able to type well.

SK
Mon, 04-12-2004, 01:28 PM
Please dont call it ghetto language...do you live in the ghetto? Sounds prejudice to me calling not being able to type ghetto...
Anyway...what that guy said about not being able to write means not having good reasoning skills, thats idiotic man. Have you ever heard of street smarts? My uncle dropped out of school in the 6th grade, owns
10 houses, and is doing pretty good for himself, just bought a $400k house. I know a few, considered great civlizations where most of the population were illiterate, but then why were they so great? Being able to type, or read, or have perfect grammar doesnt guarentee success. I would rather be street smart and have common sense then to have good grammar and be able to type well.
EDIT: Damn double post, sorry was my comp.

JusDaMan
Mon, 04-12-2004, 01:55 PM
That language isn't consider "ghetto" its more of a Well stupid way of talking Lol... Its readable but just hard to read and hard to type.
Ghetto language Is basically The language you speak While on the streets. Mostly consists beginning of "son or nigga" and ends with "yo". Street language or slang. Dressing ghetto is a means of Wearing something different that what is usually worn. Such as say instead of using a belt you use a extention cord and such. Or Dressing in a similar fashion of the following. Fitted cap, doorag NOT bandana, White tee, Blue jeans(usually sean john, or rockaware) and a flight jacket. that is the most basic of "dressing ghetto". atleast thats wat The people in My school wear and they the top 12 worst school in ny =) WASHINGTON IRVING!

SK
Mon, 04-12-2004, 02:03 PM
lol no need to explain it to me i was referring to what hiddenpookie said. i went to the worst jr high and high school in mass and it just gets me pissed when someone who knows nothing about living ghetto calls something ghetto.

JusDaMan
Mon, 04-12-2004, 02:13 PM
Its just a mis understanding not really not knowing wat it means. I think alot of people who talk/write good english just don't understand street lingo so gets misunderstood from other lingos

hiddenpookie
Mon, 04-12-2004, 06:52 PM
first of all ur like triple posting... o wow i called it ghetto writeing who cares stop being a smartass. anyway yes itz very stoopid and ppl do chat like that.in Aim W0w nobodi knows how to type but w/e even if it sspelled wroonhg u Caen stijl Reahd it

Gods_Son
Mon, 04-12-2004, 07:09 PM
Stop with these purposely hard to read posts. I grew up in a ghetto as well, and even though I don't take what you said personally, you're the one being a smartass here. Learn some respect.

v wasn't that l8r's sig, I think that ends this debate v

r3n
Mon, 04-12-2004, 07:53 PM
Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

Uzumaki Naruto
Tue, 04-13-2004, 12:41 AM
LOL

iMUSTbeTHEdevil
Wed, 04-14-2004, 01:21 PM
Hahaha. Dis iz phunny. LOL

i/expressions/devil.gif

bwabes
Wed, 04-14-2004, 08:52 PM
Man, I've seen that quote about 20 times.

Anyway, my girlfriend is a linguistics researcher and "ghetto" is considered to be a real dialect with grammatical rules, not a "stupid way of talking." It's been shown that the reason that some inner city kids do poorly in school is because they grow up learning these grammatical rules, and are forced to switch to "proper" English during school, which is not easy to do (it's like if you are only vaguely familiar with Spanish and being forced to go to school in Mexico).

Assertn
Thu, 04-15-2004, 12:19 AM
yeah....and im completely honest when i say that ive heard of some schools that offer courses in "ghetto"

iMUSTbeTHEdevil
Thu, 04-15-2004, 12:24 AM
It's called Ebonics YO!

i/expressions/devil.gif

JusDaMan
Thu, 04-15-2004, 07:31 AM
I just called everyday life... lol 7 of my 8 classes is "ghetto" class if u call it. (i cut 1st period)

hiddenpookie
Thu, 04-15-2004, 02:43 PM
you stole the words out of my mouth . true that. Amen!