PDA

View Full Version : Gatecrasher trojan

Bakamoo
Fri, 04-09-2004, 11:38 PM
I think my comp has been infected by it (gate crasher trojan) cuz I tried redownloading and I can't. Also my connection is being refused by mirc, starcraft (battlenet) and also halflife. Does anyone know how to fix this? I tried downloading the aa (from the link from main forums) but I don't know how. Plz tell me cuz I wouldn't want to reformat my comp seeing as I have around 30 gigs of unfinished files in emule. Thx

Bakamoo
Fri, 04-09-2004, 11:41 PM
oh yeah 1 more thing. I don't have those firewall stuff anymore since I recieved the connection refused. I thought that was responsible at first so I don't have any anti-virus for now except for pc-cillin (ddn't detect the trojan)

dbz_kidnaruto
Sat, 04-10-2004, 02:14 PM
i have had my pc for 5 years with no anti virus and i have never gotten a virus hehe
lucky me lol

Lego
Sat, 04-10-2004, 02:31 PM
i have had my pc for 5 years with no anti virus and i have never gotten a virus hehe

I reccomend, if you want a free, on system virus scannr, the AVG virus scanner. Good at picking up viruses, scans email, and other stuff. Best of all, it updates on its own whenever they add definitions. Its for the cheap consumer.

http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_index.php

Wilik
Sat, 04-10-2004, 03:08 PM
http://www.trendmicro.com

They offer a free online virus scan which picks up just about everything, if you dont have a virus scanner on your computer its a good choice.

Bakamoo
Sun, 04-11-2004, 12:53 AM
Thx guys

Btw might be another trojan cuz im using windows xp, I've read the news and it says only win 95/98/nt is involved, but the problem with me is the same.

If only I could use mirc, I would be a little bit satisfied with a virused comp.

I'm also on dsl so I think that might be a problem from the other threads I read.

Bakamoo
Sun, 04-11-2004, 03:18 AM
Well those didn't help solve my problems. Anyone actually have this problem and solved it?

Munsu
Sun, 04-11-2004, 01:42 PM
run a virus scanner... find out the name of the trojan or virus that's infecting you... go to the symantec site and download the fix tool for that specific infection

Lego
Sun, 04-11-2004, 09:47 PM
http://www.securityspace.com/smysecure/catid.html?id=10093

Test ID: 10093 View Source
Category: Backdoors
Title: GateCrasher
Summary: Checks for the presence of GateCrasher
Description: GateCrasher is installed.

This backdoor allows anyone to
partially take the control of
the remote system.

An attacker may use it to steal your
password or prevent your from working
properly.

Solution : telnet to this host on port 6969,
then type 'gatecrasher
', without the quotes,
and press Enter. Then type 'uninstall
' and
press Enter, it will be uninstalled.

Risk factor : High

Bakamoo
Mon, 04-12-2004, 03:48 AM
oh nevermind, I just reformatted my comp and just lost almost everything. At least i can start fresh. only one more thing, why does my comp sometimes hang if i dl from bittorrent. it's impossible to be ram virus cuz i just reformated

Hyperion
Mon, 04-12-2004, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by: Bakamoo
oh nevermind, I just reformatted my comp and just lost almost everything. At least i can start fresh. only one more thing, why does my comp sometimes hang if i dl from bittorrent. it's impossible to be ram virus cuz i just reformated

It still could be a ram virus, so all reformatting does is erase your hard drive and not your ram...that or its hanging cause its reinfected.......

Wilik
Mon, 04-12-2004, 11:55 AM
RAM also know as Random Access Memory is cleared everytime the computer is rebooted. It doesnt retain any information. Flash RAM however does, like your bios. As for the hanging issue, it could be one of many things. You ram could be faulty, I would check that first. Best way to do that would be getting a ram tester, they are free on the internet. They take awhile to run however.

Lego
Mon, 04-12-2004, 06:12 PM

It would be wonderful if you would post your comp specs. Sometimes i get a little hang internet connect wise, but never PC wise.

Bakamoo
Tue, 04-13-2004, 12:42 AM
is memtest.org good? I'll be trying that first.

comp specs are

2.4 ghz
512 ram
geforce 4mx 440
bla bla bla, I think it wouldn't be my computer but the ram might be damaged

internet is dsl

Lego
Tue, 04-13-2004, 02:25 AM
Hmm, i don't think its the virus, but it never hurts to scan again.

My 1.5 ghz comp hangs in mozilla sometimes, but its just the program, not my computer.

Bakamoo
Tue, 04-13-2004, 11:33 AM
well its official, its the ram i think. How do u read .iso files cuz ive been searching the net and I don't understand what they say. try memtest.org and ull see that the files there are .iso format thx

caset
Tue, 04-13-2004, 06:21 PM
an iso file is a cd image file, you can use nero image drive or ... well theres quite a few, just search google or something, i havent used one in years so their names escape me at this time.

Bakamoo
Tue, 04-13-2004, 07:40 PM
umm so after burning is do i just set my bios making the cdrom run first?