PDA

View Full Version : BT Etiquette Question

Melvinmaniacs
Fri, 04-09-2004, 12:16 PM
i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif I've been told that you have to leave the BT window open as long as possible. I've also been told that my upload must equal my download. My question is how long does one have to keep the BT window open?

The reason I ask is because I was downloading Kenran Butoh Sai - The Mars Daybreak, and for some reason it will not upload to anyone (though there were about 500 leechers left). Did I just get lucky? I figure that I can get a straight answer from the guys responsible for Anbu/Aone's Naruto Fansubs.

complich8
Fri, 04-09-2004, 03:25 PM
you know, there's no formal "rule" for this. I think the best way is to use my rule of thumb:

The rule I use is "am I useful right now". If you can honestly answer "yes, I am useful to this torrent" then you should stay on it. If you're not, you might as well save the tracker some traffic.

It sounds like you're probably firewalled though, or something like that. If your connection acts like that, where you can't upload significantly (or at all, even), you are probably not useful to the torrent, and might as well drop off it.

Melvinmaniacs
Sat, 04-10-2004, 05:00 PM
I am not behind a firewall. Its happened twice to me already, this time when I was downloading Shin otaku's Naruto 78. Is it normal for BT to not upload at all?

Munsu
Sat, 04-10-2004, 06:45 PM
Pretty normal i think... at least for me that i'm behind a firewall... do have a router?

Melvinmaniacs
Sat, 04-10-2004, 08:35 PM
I have a netgear router, but it hasn't caused me uploading problems before. Just with my last two downloads. I'm gonna try d/l ing Episode 78 again, this time from Anbu/Aone (when it comes out) and I'll see what happens.

PS thanks for putting up with this.

caset
Tue, 04-13-2004, 06:28 PM
Try doing a Manual announce, they (the tracker) just may not know your out there i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif