PDA

View Full Version : THE stupidest anime I have ever seen.

whereami
Fri, 04-09-2004, 02:08 AM
I'm not a super anime obsessed like some people are, but I enjoy shows like Naruto, Initial-D, etc from time to time...

A friend let me borrow some anime movie called "Akira" one day. I've heard from people who are crazy about anime how "Akira" was the bomb.

So i thought, ill give it a try.

Little did i know that i was going to waste 2 hours of my precious time.

By the time the movie was over i was on the verge of breaking my friends cd in retaliation for wasting my time....

Let me tell you, this is one of the most STUPIDEST, TIME CONSUMING, anime ever.. (in my opinion)...
ARGHAGRHg,.. just by thinking about it pisses me off....

I didnt get 100% of the storyline, but what i got from it (like 85%) , the entire storyline sucks....

The story really tends to wander off..... REALLY wander off..... From a life of a biker, to the life of the crazy powerfull boy, to those 3 ugly wierdos, to that powerfull boy blowing up, to the destruction of the world......

I mean.. the entire story is just friggin RANDOM....

Anyways... i wanna hear what other peeps thought about this stupid movie...

Xollence
Fri, 04-09-2004, 02:43 AM
Well the movie was made a really long time ago, maybe that's why it isn't as good as the ones these days.

Stoopider
Fri, 04-09-2004, 02:58 AM
How old was Akira?? 1980's issit? Somewhere therelah.

People talked so greatly about Akira becasue it was 'Groundbreaking' for it's moment. The hugh explosions and all.

Uzumaki Naruto
Fri, 04-09-2004, 05:21 AM
yea, akira was one of those animes that pissed me off, i mean ur right about the whole story line shit, it just keeps changing and changing and changing, but an anime that pissed me off more was neon genesis evangaleon, some ppl seem to like it but to me, it was the most anoying shit ive ever seen and ive never been so confused before when it came to watching anime

Lego
Fri, 04-09-2004, 06:07 AM
If you want a stupid anime, neeeeeeeever, and i mean eeeeeeeeeever watch MD geist. When i first got into anime i was curious, thought "Ooo big skeleton guy!" and watched it.

I don't think ive seen anything that shitty in my life.

Heres a review of it:

http://www.animeacademy.com/library/mdgeist/mdgeist.html

Koyuki
Fri, 04-09-2004, 06:17 AM
I don't like old school anime, they suck. Not all but it's very rare to find some good anime.

Question: Why are the quality better now? They really suck drawing anime in the 80's.
Maybe they were a bit high?

hybridchild
Fri, 04-09-2004, 09:06 AM
No matter how good or bad you think Akira is, im not a big fan myself but i do like the manga, it was exrtremly important because it inrtoduced millions of people to anime and lead to the curent anime scene being what it is today if it didnt have the sucess it had alot of the members of this board wouldnt have seen any anime

Hybridchild

JTD121
Fri, 04-09-2004, 09:20 AM
I would say the movie version of Akira might seem confusing because the story keeps changing and changing. However, if you read the manga, which are very large, and there are six of them, you will probably like Akira better. Since it was only two hours to fit maybe 3000 pages of story into?

What you need to understand is that even in the '80s, no one wanted to stay in the theater for more than 2 hours. So Otomo had to cut some parts of the manga out and make the main threads of the story visible in the movie.

I liked the movie alright, but I loved the manga even more.

mainva | aptigo | JTD out

Terracosmo
Fri, 04-09-2004, 10:46 AM
Akira rules, you guys just don't understand the point of it.
If you're looking for DBZ/Naruto type of anime then you've come really wrong.
It's for more mature audiences who are looking for something beyond the normal, while exploring the hearts of distorted minds.

JTD121
Fri, 04-09-2004, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by: Terracosmo
Akira rules, you guys just don't understand the point of it.
If you're looking for DBZ/Naruto type of anime then you've come really wrong.
It's for more mature audiences who are looking for something beyond the normal, while exploring the hearts of distorted minds.

Hey, I never said I didn't like it. I just said that I like the manga more, as it has the whole story Otomo wanted to flesh out. I think he should've made Akira an OVA, instead of a movie but...

Gods_Son
Fri, 04-09-2004, 12:15 PM
The ending seemed a bit clustered, because there was so much manga that need to be covered. Despite some confusion that came from this, Akira is still a classic.

Swallow Your Soul
Fri, 04-09-2004, 12:45 PM
Whether you think it is stupid or not, Akira is one of the biggest reasons for anime and manga gaining an initial following in the west...no-one gave anime any respect (and thats just those who had actually heard of it) because people just assumed they were cartoons for kids (as pretty much all animation in the west was at that time)...when people saw this at the cannes film festival (or at one of these film festivals) it changed the way people considered animation...as this film was clearly not for kids and had a complex plot and adult themes...

If you were looking for something of the ilk of Naruto then yes you were definitely watching the wrong film (I'm one of the few people on this forum who actually didn't like Naruto - I generally like stuff that is more sci fi and dark like akira)...but it is still considered by many (including me) to be the most important anime movie ever...anime is a very broad medium so it isn't all going to be like the series you have seen...but akira is definitely for an older audience who like something a little complex and dark...

I thought the movie was very good...if a little confusing first time around, and I felt there wasn't enough characterisation...but I still really liked it, and I'm probably about half way through the manga and that is just brilliant so far...I still think the movie is one of the best ever in terms of sci fi, even better than ghost in the shell and I really like the artwork in it as well...especially the parts where reality becomes distorted (in the room of the psychic kids)

As for the story wandering off...I find that to be one of the big pull factors of anime in general...a lot of stuff in the west follows a pattern and involves no thought, its intriguing for me that the story just keeps on going further rather than just being predictable...when a western film is like that its made out to be a huge break in tradition as if it is breaking new grounds...but there is quite a lot of anime and japanese cinema that does that (Akira, Perfect Blue etc)

The manga makes much more sense as it has time to go into stuff further and you really get to understand the personalities of the characters...and I'm still amazed I got the entire manga for £7 (about $15)! Its more than £100 to get all of the full volumes at my local comic shop...but then manga is more expensive here than in the US...

JTD121
Fri, 04-09-2004, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by: Swallow Your Soul
The manga makes much more sense as it has time to go into stuff further and you really get to understand the personalities of the characters...and I'm still amazed I got the entire manga for £7 (about $15)! Its more than £100 to get all of the full volumes at my local comic shop...but then manga is more expensive here than in the US...

Wait, you got all six $15 volumes for only $15 in total? How the hell?

bwabes
Fri, 04-09-2004, 02:22 PM
You can't say you didn't like it if you're not willing to try to understand the plot. In most great animes, you need to make an effort while watching to truly enjoy it. Not that I'm bashing Naruto (I seem to be saying this a lot lately) but there's not a whole lot to it except the very formulaic plot.

As other people had mentioned, Akira is also of historical significance as a work that popularized anime worldwide. Without Akira, you would never have heard of Naruto, because fansubs and the like might be virtually nonexistant.

Death BOO Z
Fri, 04-09-2004, 02:28 PM
If we're talking about Trash.... then listen to this one

Kidou Shinsengumi moubo ken OVA

first look, it has shinsengumi in it, so it has to be good, right?

wrong!

I don't even need to go into the plot, by merely statin a few facts about the anime i could probably make you understand what i feel about it.

- it takes place after the revoulotion, while the meiji goverment is in charge.
- the main charecters are the daughter of Kondu, Hijikata and Okita, all of them are females without a hint of charecter in them. (note; as a kenshinest, i think that shinsengumi = Saitou, the lack of his counterpart was annoying).
- they have super vechiles, wooden computers and magic armor...
- the anime had less than 30 seconds each episode that i enjoyed, even Lain and Hack sign had more than that...
- there's only one person who wears the shinsenumi uniform, the others wear normal cloths or girlish versions of the uniform.
- they fight demons with thier own magic powers and sword ki...

on the brighter side, i finished it, and all four episodes fit nicely on one cd...

note: man, i started writing this reply ages ago... i stopped to let my brother on the computer, we watched the news and even ate dinner, and only now i'm finishing this! i'm fully aware that it has no connection to the thread, but other people replied about shitty animes, so i'll too.

kajic
Fri, 04-09-2004, 03:30 PM
Ive seen the movie and it didnt blew me away or anything but the kind of criticism whereami is throwing around him is totally unmotivated if you ask me.

Swallow Your Soul
Fri, 04-09-2004, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by: JTD121
Wait, you got all six $15 volumes for only $15 in total? How the hell?

Off ebay...

Technically it isn't the 6 volumes, but a monthly magazine that came out in the early-mid 90's over here in the UK which had part of akira each month...the guy I bought the magazines from had just over 40 of these magazines which was enough to complete the whole series and when I saw them I bidded - no-one else even competed with me...I couldn't believe my luck when I won!

The final price was around £7 plus £2 P&P so at the absolute most it'd work out at around $20. i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

// SPOILER COMING UP

I'm up to issue 13 (of this manga magazine) and it is around the point where Kaneda, Kay and that really tough woman are on a boat and a guy tries to poison Kaneda's food...

// end spoiler

It still amazes me how cheap I got it...I guess most people would rather go for the official volumes...but I'm happy just to be able to read it and save like 95% of the money off...

The magazine is called Manga Mania, it also includes the entire Godzilla manga (which isn't great but its not exactly terrible), the first volume of the Appleseed manga, The Dirty Pair (which sucks so I don't read it), Dominion (which has started in the last couple of issues I've been reading), Demon (which is quite strange) and in later issues it has other manga in it as well...so I've been pretty lucky i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

Mut
Fri, 04-09-2004, 08:48 PM
akira sucked. straight up.

Knives122
Fri, 04-09-2004, 11:30 PM
you couldnt really follow the movie, and it had a lack in overall plot, even though it did what you said soul it wasnt that great. on a scale of 1-10 10 being the highest/best its a 4. and i couldnt follow the end at all, i had no idea what they were talking about.

THE MOVIE SUCKED, CASED CLOSED

Vagabond
Fri, 04-09-2004, 11:53 PM
meh thats your opinion. Personally i had no trouble following the story. You guys must not be paying attention or something.
The story is great...
The music is great...
The animation is great...
What else can you ask for?

yenlowang
Fri, 04-09-2004, 11:55 PM
people hate what they cant understand

granted that Akira was butchered badly and is not a prime example of good anime, i didnt find it all that hard to understand.

I worked Evangelion out after the second go thru it, and found the storyline excellent and a cut above the conventional anime storylines of its time.

some ppl like their anime clean cut with all the bells and whistles they come to associate with anime over the years. which is why brain dead anime like Dragonball and naruto are (still =P) popular.

however alot of ppl (including me if it isnt already obvious) like our anime to have abit more substance. so we applaud efforts like the aforementioned AKira, NGE, Lain , Jin Roh etc etc.

which is better? i dont know.

the point?

if you dont like an anime then its completely up to you. but if you come to a public forum screaming "OMG this is TEH SUX bcoz I AM NOT UNDERSTANDING TEH WORDS!~!!~!~" or some reasonable facsimile, then you just look stupid.

PS MD Geist needs to be forever interned in the anime hall of shame.

Poiple Weezard
Sat, 04-10-2004, 12:06 AM
I place Akira as one of the greatest anime's that I've ever seen, about the same level as the original Ghost in the Shell. It doesn't matter that its 15 years old, I still think the artwork is amazing. I noticed another anime due out this year by the same animation team (Steamboy? Something along those lines. The exact name escapes me) and I can't wait for a chance to see it.

Kaneda is the original street tough anime hero. He doesn't have any superpowers or magic spells or alien abilities or cyborg body parts. All that he has is a really sweet bike and a wicked gang. Of course it doesn't hurt that he picks up a cool laser gun near the end.

Swallow Your Soul
Sat, 04-10-2004, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by: Knives122
you couldnt really follow the movie, and it had a lack in overall plot, even though it did what you said soul it wasnt that great. on a scale of 1-10 10 being the highest/best its a 4. and i couldnt follow the end at all, i had no idea what they were talking about.

THE MOVIE SUCKED, CASED CLOSED

No matter what anyone who doesn't like it says, there is quite a high chance a lot of people here wouldn't even know about anime in the first place if it wasn't for the early movies (the most influential of which being akira, later ones including Ghost In The Shell)...

Granted the movie has a lot of holes in (considering the amount of story there was in a manga they'd need a whole series to get it all in) it but that couldn't really be helped...

I don't think the film lacked plot at all (and to read any of the manga proves that beyond doubt)...it might have been hard to follow towards the end but then it was cut to pieces from the original manga (much in the same way as the movie of the shining was cut to pieces from the original novel...and therefore wasn't as good as the book...and Akira had a lot more story than the Shining novel!)...

You are right in one way though, the movie did indeed do what I say (and more, it was a revolution in Japan as well as the west) and whether you like it or not a hell of a lot of modern anime and manga owes a pretty big debt to the likes of Akira...you don't have to like it but that is simply the case...the medium has evolved and Akira is one of the biggest movies in anime's history...

anyway if it really sucks that bad...why not just condemn it to memory and watch dragonball, digimon, card captor whatever-it-is or pokemon for a little bit longer to cheer yourself up i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

Lego
Sun, 04-11-2004, 05:11 AM
anyway if it really sucks that bad...why not just condemn it to memory and watch dragonball, digimon, card captor whatever-it-is or pokemon for a little bit longer to cheer yourself up

I actually did like the first digimon movie, it was pretty good, in my opinion i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif

Anywho, while were on the subject of stupid anime, anyone remeber plastic little? This was one of the first full anime movies i watched.

Granted i like how it ends, but it was just a excuse for much fanservice.

Neko Sniper
Sun, 04-11-2004, 06:50 AM
I have Plastic Little and I have to admit that the story wasn't that great but who cares if you have Satoshi Urushihara working on it. I love that guy's art. i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

Swallow Your Soul
Sun, 04-11-2004, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by: Lego

anyway if it really sucks that bad...why not just condemn it to memory and watch dragonball, digimon, card captor whatever-it-is or pokemon for a little bit longer to cheer yourself up

I actually did like the first digimon movie, it was pretty good, in my opinion i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif

I was only kidding i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

AkimichiChouji
Tue, 04-20-2004, 08:58 AM
WEirest oddest anime ever....Ping Pong club....discontinued after 13 episodes

Death BOO Z
Tue, 04-20-2004, 09:09 AM
heh, chouji, funny thing, a friend of mine asked me to check Ping Pong club and find where to download it,,, do you know a group who did all 26 eps? or anything which could help?

AkimichiChouji
Tue, 04-20-2004, 09:11 AM
I believe its on my friends harddrive still, i can call him up for you and ask what he has to offer. But for sure i will check around for you.

Ryllharu
Tue, 04-20-2004, 10:12 AM
I suppose whether or not you liked Akira really depends on what type of anime you like.

There are really three types of anime in my opinion, there is the stuff for kids (DBZ, Naruto, and even...ugh Pokemon), there are Adult anime titles (Ghost in the Shell, Neon Genesis, and Ebichu), and finally a middle ground that both can watch whether they fully understand it or not (Full Metal Alchemist, Mahoromatic, Scrapped Princess, any Miyazaki film). Personally I like all three types. It's nice not to have to think at all about a series, but if you only watch the stuff for children and popular, shallow stuff, you'll be missing out on some of the best anime has to offer, and it would be no better than watching American cartoons.

Akira clearly falls into second catagory. Most people just won't understand what is going on all the time or even after several times through. I know I still don't. I'm not sure I'm even fond of Akira, but all that really matters is someone thought it was really great, so they brought over a few other titles and here we are today, posting about anime all the time.

Akira may be more important than you actually think. If you look at it and other important titles like Ghost in the Shell and Macross, you'll see its influence in a lot of the really popular anime titles. I think its fairly obvious that characters and fights in Akira look at LOT like DBZ. Macross in the 80's is the reason we see a lot of mecha every once in a while and Ghost in the Shell is rather influential on the entire SciFi genre.

AkimichiChouji
Tue, 04-20-2004, 10:26 AM
i remember when i went to calgary i was talking about anime...and this kid comes up and was like oh i saw anime i don't like it...and im like how do you not like it? he then replies and says it just sucks...and im like you know theres more then one anime and he then goes no there isn't theres just one anime (referring to akira and those gay ass commercials they had on tv a few years back) this kid was convinced that anime was just akira and that was it...

Man i hit him good

Elessar
Tue, 04-20-2004, 10:51 AM
I really love Akira. I think it is great and didn't find the story confusing.
I just recently imported the us pioneer 2 dvd edition of Akira to add it to my english dubbed VHS from 1995.

I can't understand your critics, but I guess opinions differ.

yenlowang
Tue, 04-20-2004, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by: AkimichiChouji
i remember when i went to calgary i was talking about anime...and this kid comes up and was like oh i saw anime i don't like it...and im like how do you not like it? he then replies and says it just sucks...and im like you know theres more then one anime and he then goes no there isn't theres just one anime (referring to akira and those gay ass commercials they had on tv a few years back) this kid was convinced that anime was just akira and that was it...

Man i hit him good

i hope you gave him permanent brain damage.

i h8 kids.

r3n
Tue, 04-20-2004, 01:08 PM
Akira >

n00b

AkimichiChouji
Tue, 04-20-2004, 03:32 PM
HAHA enough said there what about ARMITAGE III? lol wasn't that advertised with Akira too?

MemnochTheCaT
Wed, 04-21-2004, 05:09 PM
Akira is legendary, rightfully so. It was groundbreaking in a number of ways, and if you can't wrap your brain around the storyline, then feast your eyes on the art, animation, and sound work .. and compare it to ANYthing else out at the time.

AkimichiChouji
Thu, 04-22-2004, 06:03 AM
Originally posted by: Death BOO Z
heh, chouji, funny thing, a friend of mine asked me to check Ping Pong club and find where to download it,,, do you know a group who did all 26 eps? or anything which could help?

My friend belives he has episodes 1-13 on his hd....i would assume you would like me to get them for you?

ryan92084
Thu, 04-22-2004, 10:30 AM
lets face it ... a lot of anime movies end up with badly compressed story lines and half ass character devopement because they try to cram way to much into it

ohh well its always kinda been like this

i still like akira thought

dun dun dun

Yakuza
Thu, 04-22-2004, 11:14 AM
Yeah, ok, um. Most of you people should be ashamed of yourselves. Akira sucked? F U!

Akira is one of the greatest Anime films ever made. The only reason you people didn't enjoy it is because you're either too young to appreciate the damn thing, or you're just plain ignorant.

For those that made intelligent comments about the greatness of Akira - Right on.

If any of you people that thought Akira sucked are part of my generation, that being 20-25 year olds, just go shoot yourself right now. Spare the gene pool! Think of the future!

r3n
Thu, 04-22-2004, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by: Yakuza
Yeah, ok, um. Most of you people should be ashamed of yourselves. Akira sucked? F U!

Akira is one of the greatest Anime films ever made. The only reason you people didn't enjoy it is because you're either too young to appreciate the damn thing, or you're just plain ignorant.

For those that made intelligent comments about the greatness of Akira - Right on.

If any of you people that thought Akira sucked are part of my generation, that being 20-25 year olds, just go shoot yourself right now. Spare the gene pool! Think of the future!

amen brother, you tell them!

AkimichiChouji
Thu, 04-22-2004, 12:53 PM
Professor Scudworth: Raise the roof! I SAY RAISE IT
Butlertron: Where are my bitches at?!

Professor Scudworth: Did you see the pool? THEY FLIPPED THE BITCH

Preach it man preach!

Swallow Your Soul
Thu, 04-22-2004, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by: Yakuza

Lol, well said i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

AkimichiChouji
Sun, 04-25-2004, 11:32 PM
Well its true if you think about it, thanks to those commercials people bought into the whole anime craze then soon after possibly one of the biggest hits ever, pokemon came on and that was like the jurassic park (lunch boxes, toys, food, jello, etc etc etc) merchandizing and video games and everything...its becoming a huge impact on society now...anime that is

yenlowang
Mon, 04-26-2004, 01:46 AM
Well its true if you think about it, thanks to those commercials people bought into the whole anime craze then soon after possibly one of the biggest hits ever, pokemon came on and that was like the jurassic park (lunch boxes, toys, food, jello, etc etc etc) merchandizing and video games and everything...its becoming a huge impact on society now...anime that is

ummm i dont think those commercials are the sole factor why anime is doing well.
and personally i think pokemon and Dragonball have had a much more detrimental effect on anime than most ppl think.

Himura_san
Mon, 04-26-2004, 12:23 PM
Akira pwns all!
It's mainly the reason I pursued anime!
If you don't get it it's because the story is very deep.
Some of the scenes are still confusing to me but overall
I appreciate this masterpeice. I am hoping to pickup the
manga to clarify certain things.
As for the worst anime movie I've seen will that
would have to be darkside blues, arrgh! That shit was vile!
As for worst anime series one word, NOIR.

bwabes
Mon, 04-26-2004, 01:40 PM
I gotta say, I thought Noir was really crappy too. However, if you consider series like Pokemon as anime, they're easily the worst.

AkimichiChouji
Mon, 04-26-2004, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by: yenlowang

ummm i dont think those commercials are the sole factor why anime is doing well.
and personally i think pokemon and Dragonball have had a much more detrimental effect on anime than most ppl think.

Well i don't mean a sole factor im sure there were others, but those were like the first commercials besides sailor moon on ytv that were bringing anime to north america...well i only had cable so i don't know what satelite had to offer im just saying what my expierience was

ryan92084
Mon, 04-26-2004, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by: bwabes
I gotta say, I thought Noir was really crappy too. However, if you consider series like Pokemon as anime, they're easily the worst.

i still think silent mobius is the worst anime i've ever seen.... i remember watching the series and just thinking ...wow that was pointless

AkimichiChouji
Mon, 04-26-2004, 03:28 PM
Ya thanks...way to remind me of it again...sheesh

Poiple Weezard
Mon, 04-26-2004, 08:30 PM
I hadn't seen a point to Silent Mobius anywhere within the first DVD, so I never continued on to the second. Was the entire series that bad?