PDA

View Full Version : What makes anime good?

originalkrn
Thu, 04-08-2004, 08:51 PM
I would say a great OST makes an anime supreme. Anime is nothing with music. NO matter how good the plot, the action, if the music sucks, its just not as good. Wat do you think is the key ingredient for a great anime?

gouki
Thu, 04-08-2004, 08:54 PM
i think the action and bloodyness

Swallow Your Soul
Thu, 04-08-2004, 11:12 PM
The ability to do pretty much anything a person can imagine...in a live action film/tv there are many more restrictions...anime (providing it is well done) can pretty much do anything that occurs within the writers imagination...of course there will still be a budget to follow...but its still a lot less limited than anything live action can offer...the artwork of a lot of anime is also of such a high quality it is really something to behold...

Rek
Thu, 04-08-2004, 11:18 PM
Personally, I think its a combination of all three... the imagination, music, and characters...

But what I think really kicks it (at least here, stateside) is the nostalgia... you can finally watch cartoons again.

gouki
Thu, 04-08-2004, 11:23 PM
especilly the flying part i like that.

Rek
Fri, 04-09-2004, 12:07 AM
SILENCE

XwingRob
Fri, 04-09-2004, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by: Swallow Your Soul
The ability to do pretty much anything a person can imagine...in a live action film/tv there are many more restrictions...anime (providing it is well done) can pretty much do anything that occurs within the writers imagination...of course there will still be a budget to follow...but its still a lot less limited than anything live action can offer...the artwork of a lot of anime is also of such a high quality it is really something to behold...

Yeah, that's it.

bwabes
Fri, 04-09-2004, 01:04 AM
Plot, anyone?

Xollence
Fri, 04-09-2004, 02:41 AM
You mean nothing without music? To me the drawings are most important. No matter how good the music or story is, if they drawings are horrible then I just can't enjoy it.

Stoopider
Fri, 04-09-2004, 03:09 AM
I think every little bit makes the anime good. I would have to credit that Music can make a HUGH difference. But it comes down to every element. You can't be unbalanced.

Excellent Music can make a anime excellent. One I would credit for excellent music that made a mediocre show worth watching was Saikano (I personally did not really like the story line. I didn't find it that interesting, however the music was excellent and did put on the show). About Saikano= By 3 quarterway, I felt I couldn't really care who was going to die next. Just get over it. NOir is another one. (I couldn't stand the pace of the show).

There are some very good animes that don't necessarily have good art. However Art is important. One Anime with 'quite bad' Art would be Planet ES. However the character growth, the story line and the depth of the show is great.

Plots. Yup Definite. But there have been some totally brainless shows that are incredibly entertaining.

What makes an anime good? Everything. Just look at Full Metal ALchemist. Brilliant. Naruto is another one. Brilliant.

SuntUrioN
Sat, 04-10-2004, 03:35 PM
to me what makes naime good is the pure essence of a show.
The way a story is told, the way the characters are introduced.
The things they go trough, the lives they live.

What especially makes anime good is the fact that it aint real.
But it deals with situations that could be real.

Ssome animes are just to good to be true. After watching 20 seconds of the intro you just know it's gonna be good.

examples ?

One Piece, Konjiki No Gash bell, Full Metal Alchemist, Airmaster , Naruto and the list goes on and on

itachi_
Sat, 04-10-2004, 03:36 PM
The story makes it all...

Hyuuga Hinata
Sat, 04-10-2004, 03:43 PM
My list what makes a good anime

Priority 1 Story a anime is nothing without that
Priority 2 Good characters design and background info
Priority 3 The music

Lego
Sat, 04-10-2004, 03:44 PM
Besides this guy?

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/images/nedancer.gif

Im a big sticklar for character development. A show like Planet Es i love to death. They gave background, developed the characters episode by episode, so in the later shows, where the plot matters, you have a feel for them and what they'll do.

I like to know of my characters past,why he does why he does what he does, basically i like to know the background.

Also, music helps A LOT. Tsukihime had awsome music, so does GITS SAC, it imerses(hey i can't spell) you more into the anime, if your into the music.

Rek
Sat, 04-10-2004, 04:15 PM
BEST. DANCING. NIGHTELF. EVAR!!!

Yeah... character development is always ALWAYS a plus

SofaKing
Sat, 04-10-2004, 04:56 PM
What makes anime good differs from anime to anime.

It does help that anime is not aimed at the bottom 10% of the Japanese people IQ-wise unlike another country's TV, though......

SK
Sat, 04-10-2004, 07:46 PM
What makes an anime good? For me it's a good story, good voice acting, and good animation and fight scenes.

Mut
Sat, 04-10-2004, 08:54 PM
the obvious: cool characters.

example: spike spiegel.

Rek
Sat, 04-10-2004, 09:46 PM
I agree with Sofa King there...

Knives122
Sat, 04-10-2004, 10:59 PM
the thing that makes a good anime is that it needs to have a little bit of every thing, now with other animes like berserk it can have pure brutality but the creater need to make it work wiht the environment. the music is a vital part if you have a song that doenst go well with the situation it'll seem stupid. and it must have a good op. and ed. with good animation or it wont catch our attention. this is what i believe makes a good anime

HimizujinEternia
Sun, 04-11-2004, 12:24 AM
In order of importance, from most to least:

1.) Characters. I cannot stress this enough: if I do not like the characters, I will not like the Anime. The best animes will have characters that click with me on an emotional level. Of course, if I hate a character on an emotional level, that will also be considered a good character.

2.) Plot. There is a very close margin between plot and characters for me. However, because many anime end up being weaker in terms of plot than characaters (if only slightly,) Plot ends up at number 2.

3.) Music. Music can have a major impact on my enjoyment of an anime, but it's not necessary. Naruto has my all time favorite anime soundtrack, but it's no where near my favorite.

4.) Animation. Animation isn't that important to me. However, if anything, it will keep me from watching something if all I have to go by are screen shots. For example, it took me quite some time to actually want to watch One Piece because the art style looked so awful.

5.) Fighting. Even in action based anime, if fighting is all there is (such as DBZ or Flame of Recca) I will not be impressed. In fact, too much fighting actually detracts from my opinion of anime unless the fighting is well done (such as it is in LastEXILE, Naruto and One Piece.) However, it remains the least important thing to me.

Longbowwing
Mon, 04-12-2004, 04:29 AM
i love everything about jap animes.

except for someone or something limit my access to anime world, then i will see them as my enemy....such as those companies who license anime.

yenlowang
Mon, 04-12-2004, 05:32 AM
Originally posted by: Longbowwing
i love everything about jap animes.

except for someone or something limit my access to anime world, then i will see them as my enemy....such as those companies who license anime.

i'm not sure if you're funny , trolling for flames , just plain stupid or some bizzare three headed communistic monster which embodies all the above elements

Ryllharu
Mon, 04-12-2004, 09:50 AM
Style of animation comes first. I've gotten into anime, like Hellsing, Daphne in the Brilliant Blue and Mezzo: Danger Service Agency simply on the grounds that the animation style was interesting. Whether or not they turn out to be good depends on a few other things, like quality of the animation and plot.
If the question is just what makes anime great, then the answer is characters. If you cannot think of them as people, and therefore feel the pain, happiness, and other emotions they feel, then its not a very good plot and the character development is poor.
As to what makes anime excellent is the music. If you never notice the music until you've watched it more than one time, then the music is excellent and thereby making the anime excellent as well. That is why any anime with Yoko Kanno or Taku Iwasaki is really good anime.