PDA

View Full Version : What do you collect?

Lego
Tue, 04-06-2004, 03:50 AM
Most of the time, when you visit someones house,apartment, or whatever, you'll notice DVD's,CD's,action figures,books, or something to that degree that people collect and either show off or not.

Myself, i collect plastic gundam models, like the one showed here:

http://www.gundamshop.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/gmg134.jpg

Sure, some people think they're a waste of money, and even time. But i like to build and sometimes paint these models. It occupies time that i would spend braindead sitting on the computer,watching tv, or playing a video game.

As of now i have around 20 gundam models, and one Ingram from patlabor sitting on a shelf completed. Its a costly hobby, with most running in the 20-120 dollar range, but they're neat to show off when there finished.

I used to collect baseball cards and the like, but i ended up with two big boxes full of them.

Uchiha-Itachi
Tue, 04-06-2004, 03:55 AM
hehe cool i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif i thought you were collecting Lego though i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

Well i collect Anime! i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif and moviez and PC-gamez.. used to collect Magic The Gathering cards though, but i quit 2 years ago.

Lego
Tue, 04-06-2004, 03:58 AM
Heh, nah, i do have a lot of lego's from my early years that are sitting in a tub that you can build stuff from.

I have a decent sized anime collection but nothing to rant on about.

I have to admit, and im sure ill get a couple haha's from this, back when i was around 11-13 i used to collect pokemon cards and the like, still have two books of em i think, prob worth next to nothing now hehe.

Never got into magic the gathering tough, something about it didn't intrest me.

shadowmantis
Tue, 04-06-2004, 05:20 AM
anything by nintendo. it's a sickness. i think nintedo mind-controlls people.

Raven
Tue, 04-06-2004, 08:13 AM
Nintendo is an extremely enjoyable sickness though, albeit expensive. Heh. I'm infected also. i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

r3n
Tue, 04-06-2004, 08:47 AM
i go thru periods of time when ill obsess over something then get bored and move onto something else, starting from when i was about 5:

1. lego
got about 2 crates worth of the stuff lol
2. DBZ cards
3. Xmen cards
4. warhammer 40k (blood angels) + warhammer (skaven)
still got it all sitting under my bed collecting dust lol, love painting the models
5. magic the gathering
got quite a few rare cards, but i really sucked at playing it, jst liked the artwork i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif
6. movies

not including anime cos i dont think ill get bored of collecting it in a hurry

shadowmantis
Tue, 04-06-2004, 09:36 AM
well yeah, like, i'd start liking one band and buy all their cd's. or some gaming series. or cartoons. little stuff like that.

KakashiSensei
Tue, 04-06-2004, 11:07 AM
i'm such a geek but I do collect the model looking Mcfarlane figures. I have only 4 So far. I also like to get the really detailed anime action figures. Just got Gungrave in the mail and am getting Guts Black Swordsman soon. Sweeeeeet.
oh yeah my G/F hates them and calls me names all the time i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif

sangai
Tue, 04-06-2004, 12:41 PM
all of the original bandai dragonball z figures i still have em (all of them by bandai)

the newer dragonball z toys stopped collecting those

i have the pre made gundam wing figures by bandai (all of them but talgeese 3)

orginal transformers (love those things) used to be my older brothers

i got a ton of mcfarlane figures cause i know him (kinda) someone that works for him gave me a ton of his figures even some discontinued because of defect

I.E gatorade water bottle on the kujo figure (pissed gatorade off ) so its woth some money

the king kong figure about 50 bucks is pretty cocol

total amount of mcfarlane figures is about 32

Mut
Tue, 04-06-2004, 01:26 PM
i collect nothing, it's been a long time since i was 8.

Swallow Your Soul
Tue, 04-06-2004, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by: r3n

4. warhammer 40k (blood angels) + warhammer (skaven)

God I had a warhammer 40k craze when I was about 12 or 13...I never even got round to learning how to play before I stopped...I just liked the models and the painting and stuff i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif I had armies of Blood Angels (whatever the blue ones were called as well) and Eldar or whatever they hell they were called...glad that phase passed so soon...

Its probably fair to say I collect DVDs (Family Guy, Simpsons, Futurama, Japanese films etc - I tend to get them when they come out) and Red Dwarf stuff - I've still got like every tape (series wise - not ltd edition stuff or anything like that) and DVD out so far...I don't watch it much anymore but back in my teens I was well into it...got em all off ebay years ago...I should really sell them and buy a new bass i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

I buy video games as well...but rarely play them...games I've barely played that are on my shelf right now are Silent Hill 3 (played once for 15 minutes and I just couldn't be arsed), Simpsons Hit and Run, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles (bought it for the multiplayer then no-one wanted to play it!), and I end up selling a load of em if they're shit (eg Starfox Adventures, Mario Sunshine etc...) plus even the good ones don't get played as if i wanna play a game i'll just play ut2k4...I should learn not to spend money :\

Gods_Son
Tue, 04-06-2004, 04:28 PM
never really collected anything, most collections just end up being a waste of money anyways.

Lego
Tue, 04-06-2004, 05:17 PM
Maybe so kono, but it gives me a sense of pride or something to do.

I used to also collection Star Wars Customizable Card Game Cards, wow, that was a mouth full.

It was a old card game where you could get a car like Han Solo, and the like. He would have some special attributes, and you know the rest.

And on the comment that i haven't had a collection since i was 8.

Some collections could get big bucks if you sell. I used to have two binders of pokemon cards, took them to a local flee market, made 120 dollars on both of them.

It all depends on what you collect i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

Uzumaki Naruto
Tue, 04-06-2004, 05:46 PM
tried to start a gundam model kit collection, but i came home one day went to my room and found all of my gundam model kits in pieces, dammit i knew i should have locked my room bc my nephew was spending the night over dammit, but now all i do is collect anime its the only thing that he cant touch

Kagari
Tue, 04-06-2004, 06:13 PM
I collect NES games, LOTR stuff, R.A. Salvatore books and naruto stuff.

I USED to collect Warhammer40k as well (Chaos Space Marines) but I stopped playing after I got laid in grade 10....after that, sex was better than miniatures.

Rek
Tue, 04-06-2004, 07:02 PM
... I collected...

Collected Star Wars action Figures in Elementary School, after Ghostbuster and TMNT...

DBZ figures and Gundam Models in Middle school (5 years ago) franchised pokemon cards to get lunch money...

Now, I collect used computers and Hotel Key Cards...

Hooray for key cards...

A77ALiSTiC
Tue, 04-06-2004, 10:37 PM
i collect movie theatre tickets. just mine, i dont want my friends' tickets. its kinda like an archive really. the first ticket in the collection is the ticket for gone in 60 seconds, and it was on the 14th of august 2000. then by the end of each year, i calculate how much money was spent on them, then i estimate the total ammount of money spent for cabs (going there and commin back), and the snacks bought (usually a coke and a snickers bar).. weird, i know, but i like doing it...

JusDaMan
Tue, 04-06-2004, 11:50 PM
I collect money =). well thats basically wat i do for a living since i'm a cash register guy. ahahaha.

now seriously...

I collect pictures of exotic foods i have eaten before...

Anywhere from rat meat to bat soup to beetles. Lol

sangai
Wed, 04-07-2004, 03:21 AM
bat soup you say sounds intresting

anywho

i also collect hockey memorabilia like signed sticks and pucks by players

Destiny
Wed, 04-07-2004, 05:30 AM
I used to collect Warhammer 40k too, Chaos Space Marines. All my money wasted lol
I also used to collect Ultra Fleer X-men cards, and Pokemon playing cards at one time, but after they brought out the 3rd pack, i just gave up trying to collect the whole damn thing.

Elessar
Wed, 04-07-2004, 10:26 AM
Warhammer 40k (Tyranids and Dark Eldar, both quite big armies, unequipped ~4000pts)
Battletech Classic (~20 Mechs)
Battletech Books (1-61)
Perry Rhodan (the silver edition, so far volumes 1-46)

Kagari:
you didn't understand the concept. Gather with your friends and their armies and have decent wh40k battle evening. Meanwhile send your girlfriends out on a girls-only evening and lay them afterwards.

sangai
Wed, 04-07-2004, 12:29 PM
i never got into the 40k but i did play warhammer with friends , still i never got into it.

Lego
Wed, 04-07-2004, 04:32 PM
They recently made a war hammer game, but i hear from reviews its not that good.

I never got in much to the table top games like dungeons and dragons and warhammer, something about them didn't appeal to me.

SK
Wed, 04-07-2004, 05:00 PM
Anything Marvel, I've basically been collecting stuff since I was 4. I have a whole bunch of stuff, comics, pins, action figures, videos/dvds, shirts, even cans all sorts of stuff lol. I'm starting to collect anime and manga stuff now.

Swallow Your Soul
Wed, 04-07-2004, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by: Lego
I never got in much to the table top games like dungeons and dragons and warhammer, something about them didn't appeal to me.

The thing that put me off actually learning the rules of Warhammer was an instruction 'booklet' the size of a phone book! i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

Xollence
Wed, 04-07-2004, 08:26 PM
I collect movies and music. i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

hiddenpookie
Wed, 04-07-2004, 08:37 PM
HOW IT ALL STARTED..MY COOLECTION
1:yo yo's
2i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gifoke cards
3i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gifigimon cards
4:^&@&#)@*beyblade
5i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gifbz stuff
6:hmmm hotel stuff
7:wallscrolls now i have over 6 in my room! i would give away my naruto wallscrool in a contest if i knew how to send it lol...edit:hmm everithng comes out smiley faces o well i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

Rek
Wed, 04-07-2004, 10:20 PM
maybe if you put a space between you colons and capital letters... or maybe a hyphen... or just used the bullet feature... that works too

i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif
i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

Elessar
Wed, 04-07-2004, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by: Swallow Your Soul
The thing that put me off actually learning the rules of Warhammer was an instruction 'booklet' the size of a phone book! i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

But after you learned that there is no game whose rules will frighten you ever again i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

Lego
Thu, 04-08-2004, 01:42 AM
Something i seem to be collecting more and more now are anime novelty items. Such as display boxes, resin figures, and the like. For some reason it adds to my anime collection when i have something that can basically take up space.

Varica
Mon, 04-19-2004, 12:54 PM
I collect anime, I've got all of Blue gender, Outlaw Star, Slayers next, Lain, Trigun, Hellsing first series, and my boyf is currently downloading Naruto and Gokuden for me to watch i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif
I also collect computer games and consoles, I have a ps2, ps1, N64, gamecube, , snes, megadrive, master system, saturn and tons of games for them. my boyf also has a dreamcast, mega cd, 32x. I'm geting a commodore C64 next!! YAY!!
I also collect Dragonball comics, Warhammer, and prob loads of other stuff I can't remember at the mo.
I really want to see wolfs rain but it's licenced now so can't get it anywhere i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif

Kagari
Mon, 04-19-2004, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by: Elessar

Kagari:
you didn't understand the concept. Gather with your friends and their armies and have decent wh40k battle evening. Meanwhile send your girlfriends out on a girls-only evening and lay them afterwards.

Ah I see....best of both worlds! the problem was, the other guys who still played didn't exactly have girlfriends! So I couldn't send he rout by herself....i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

Stoopider
Mon, 04-19-2004, 01:06 PM
I collect dust in places where my collectibles should be. Mom thought they were satanic. Threw most of them away. Especially all the cool badguys. I used to hordes of Predators, ALiens, and Terminators.

They used to fight my X-men, JI Joe's, and DC superheroes all at the same time.

I collect random stuff now.

Destiny
Tue, 04-20-2004, 07:23 AM
spoons

AkimichiChouji
Tue, 04-20-2004, 10:22 AM
Lol lets see.....stuff i collect

well i have A LOT OF LEGO
including the 214$ monorail in that space set and that underwater base as well.
Star wars models galore ..tons..
Warhammer 40k Dark Angels are the best
id have o agree wtih kagari once you get laid you tend to not care about stuff anymore....well depends on the stuff...

Lego
Tue, 04-20-2004, 12:41 PM
The newest member of my collection

http://store5.yimg.com/I/animenation_1788_20132097

Size (US) - 10 inches

» Description

Medicom took their state-of-the-art magnification ray gun and super-sized the Unit 01 to make it the ultimate Kubrick! This sturdy collectors toy is posable, includes weapons and plug accessories and a removable helmet to reveal the Evas true face!

http://www.animenation.com/evak33253.html

Mut
Tue, 04-20-2004, 01:04 PM
looks more like a beefed up lego man.

Lego
Tue, 04-20-2004, 01:07 PM
Yeh its a kubrick version of the 01. Good to stand in the corner of my room

Tofu #2
Thu, 04-22-2004, 05:00 PM
i collect money and then i use it

Kame_Sennin
Fri, 04-23-2004, 12:00 PM
I was collecting/read Frank Herberts (fiction) Novels..... then I bought up all of his works that were available at the local used bookstores.

I need
The Eyes of Heisenberg
The Jesus Incident
Direct Descent
The Book of Frank Herbert
The Worlds of Frank Herbert
The Best of Frank Herbert 1952-70
Priests of Psi

oh, and he's the author of Dune.... for those that may not have known.

Now I'm working on collecting/reading Alan Dean Fosters novels. I currently have 28 of close to 100. i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

Swallow Your Soul
Fri, 04-23-2004, 11:47 PM
Alan Dean Foster...only books I've read by him were the novelisations of the first 3 Alien films...

Alien 1 was ace and possibly even better than the film
Aliens was ok but for some reason swearing was taken out so it was totally cheesified (rather than saying "get away from her you BITCH!" Ripley instead shouts "get away from her YOU!")
Alien 3 was cool and better than the film

I liked the style of his writing but I hesitate buying books if I'm not already familiar with the story or something like that...the Alien books followed the screenplay so I'd be paranoid about buying his own work i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

Kame_Sennin
Mon, 04-26-2004, 01:38 PM
i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif I had read the Tie-Ins for Aliens/3 awhile back but this weekend I'd finished up Alien..... it kicked ass in all but damn I never knew Tie-Ins could be 80% different from the movies their supossed to Tie-In with. lol

I was a little worried about buying stuff I hadn't heard of before.... but I took the "leap" I definatly wasn't dissapointed with Herbert's Works. I doubt I will with Fosters either. I've got a few friends that recommended him to me. If I do happen to not like one I can always take it back and exchange it.... the joys of used bookstores. ^_^

Himura_san
Tue, 04-27-2004, 01:42 AM
Did anyone collect garbage pail kids cards!
Them shits were schweet!

SpankyDaM
Tue, 04-27-2004, 04:37 AM
I've got a collection of Science Fiction and Fantasy books (around 4,000 last time I counted) including some signed copies from Terry Pratchett, David Gemmel and Spider Robinson. Was lucky enough to go to an hour QA session with David Gemmel the other week - fascinating guy, wish he could have stood there and talked for days about his life and inspiration. Next week Terry is doing another signing session in the area - so I'm booked up for that one

Why is it that whenever anyone first sees the collection they always ask if I've read them all? Of course I've read them all - why else would I have bought them?

For the anime collection if you check on anidb you'll see how many me and my other half have got round to watching so far :-)

Apart from that I've got a small collection of the Discworld figures, and my other half collects dragons.

This is of course not counting the many computers that seen to have found a home with me over the years.