PDA

View Full Version : Lee aparently can't taste alcohol.

CapsuleCorpJX
Mon, 04-05-2004, 08:33 PM
How can you drink an entire bottle of sake thinking its water or medicene?

And how can you be a natural master at a fighting style? Drunken fist still has to be taught. If he wasn't taught, then he'd just try to do his regular moves while drunk.

JTD121
Mon, 04-05-2004, 08:38 PM
Maybe he had one of those types of medicine that are artificially flavored like a fruit or something. And the sake was also flavored as such for some reason.

And maybe the Drunken Fist is a Bloodline Limit....Or something that Lee's family knows....*shrugs* Just a guess.

mainva | aptigo | JTD out

Jman
Mon, 04-05-2004, 08:41 PM
Just as Neji mastered the kaiten w/o having been taught, Lee does drunken boxing.
Not all moves have to be taught.

If Lee has never had alcohol before then he doesn't/isn't expected to know the taste.

EDIT: As to why Lee can't recognize the taste of alcohol, that's only something we can guess about, to get a real answer you'd have to consult Kishimoto.
Who knows even he might not know, could simply be a plot hole that was overlooked.

Raven
Mon, 04-05-2004, 08:44 PM
He's probably not using 'official' drunken fist, but he's probably trying to fight while drunk, and it turns out that way.

lasaire
Mon, 04-05-2004, 08:47 PM
Well, if Lee's never had alcohol at all, he may not know specifically what sake is supposed to taste like.

Frankly, sake is strong and can be overwhelming if you've never had it before, and a good number of medicines are also strong and unpleasant tasting.

Oh, and have you ever had Japanese plum wine? I SWEAR it tastes exactly like the old red cough syrup you used to get when you were a child.

Lee may just have thought "Oh, well, tastes like medicine, must BE medicine."

Gods_Son
Mon, 04-05-2004, 08:47 PM
Not all medicine tastes the same, and I assume he hadn't gone drinking on purpose before, so he probably just thought that was the way that medicine tasted. There's no point in taking the time to worry about what Lee can taste or not anyways. As for Lee being a natural at drunken boxing, perhaps he was taught and learned quickly or just became much more destructive after drinking. Drunken boxing as a bloodline is just retarded.

hiten mitsurugi
Mon, 04-05-2004, 08:48 PM
Maybe everyones looking at it wrong. Maybe he's a natural drinker. The more he drinks the more powerful he becomes. Maybe there's an inner Lee and he only comes out when Lee's drunk. Just like how Ino couldn't control Sakura because there was Inner Sakura. Inner Lee knows how to do drunken boxing. That's why he is a natural when it comes to drunken boxing.

JTD121
Mon, 04-05-2004, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by: KonohamaruCorps
Drunken boxing as a bloodline is just retarded.

Hey hey! It was a thought!

And he has drunk sake before. Remember when Gai said he was knocked out and Lee destroyed the place they were at? Although he might not remember it so...*shrugs*

Death BOO Z
Mon, 04-05-2004, 09:10 PM
Lee just gets drunk really fast, one sip of alchol and he's already kungfu-ing...
and becuase of the hangover, he never remembers what happend, and no one would dare to tell him that he turns into a awsome fighting machine, cuz they all know he'll try to train himself to control that style and end up being drunk and destryoing stuff

originalkrn
Mon, 04-05-2004, 09:13 PM
What IM wondering.. is what the hell is there a bottle of sake right next to Lee's medicine in the first place? its a hospital for god sakes. And Lee didn't identify the taste as alcohol because he thougth the taste was "medicine that always has a bad taste"

JTD121
Mon, 04-05-2004, 09:17 PM
Gai said he left it there when he noticed that the bottle with the real medicine was still sitting there.

Not sure why Gai would be drinking at a time like that but...

Death BOO Z
Mon, 04-05-2004, 09:23 PM
The first time was when Gai and Lee were celebrating Lee's mastering of the lotus in a resturant, so when they got thier drinks, Lee took by mistake Gai's sake, and the rest is history...

the other bottle of sake belongs to Tsunde, and since she's on the same scale of Jiriya, we know that she likes to drink, so she probably left her bottle there when she checked Lee's condition..

Mut
Mon, 04-05-2004, 10:57 PM
sake is usually has around 10-20% alcohol content which is not strong. besides, lee is an idiot just like gai. he could've drank piss and probably wouldn't have known the difference.

L8r
Mon, 04-05-2004, 11:41 PM
i think it would be fun if we where to find out that he toke the sake on purpose, and that he some how found out what he did to resturant.
so that he knows what happens to him when he drinks... (he goes nuts...bonkers...berserk... i think you get the idea i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif )

Assertn
Mon, 04-05-2004, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by: JTD121

Drunken boxing as a bloodline is just retarded.

Hey hey! It was a thought!

And he has drunk sake before. Remember when Gai said he was knocked out and Lee destroyed the place they were at? Although he might not remember it so...*shrugs*

would that be the irish, or the german bloodline? i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

JTD121
Tue, 04-06-2004, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by: AssertnFailure
would that be the irish, or the german bloodline? i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

Heh, either or.

lasaire
Tue, 04-06-2004, 12:12 AM
Sake has a max of about 20% alcohol, which is 40 proof. A good deal stronger than beer, but not nearly as strong as a shot of something like tequila. However, sake's taste is very strong.

Gods_Son
Tue, 04-06-2004, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by: L8r
i think it would be fun if we where to find out that he toke the sake on purpose, and that he some how found out what he did to resturant.
so that he knows what happens to him when he drinks... (he goes nuts...bonkers...berserk... i think you get the idea i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif )

not really, comic relief during a fight basically just ruins it.

v yeah, that little toad is kind of annoying v

Raven
Tue, 04-06-2004, 12:56 AM
not really, comic relief during a fight basically just ruins it.
So I take it you didn't like the way that Naruto accidentally summoned the little toad during the Gaara fight in the most recent ep? i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

L8r
Tue, 04-06-2004, 12:59 AM
i meant that we find it out after the match, not during...like when they all return to the village

i just love the voice of that little frog i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

originalkrn
Tue, 04-06-2004, 01:43 AM
well, the little toad wasnt JUST comic relief. If that little toad wasn't there, the big toad (gamabuta was it?) would not have helped him fight Gaara. Gamabuta helped Naruto because Naruto saved the little toad's life while it was being attacked by Gaara.

Raven
Tue, 04-06-2004, 01:55 AM
I'm just talking about something funny happening during a major serious battle. That was just the first example I thought of. True though, Gammabunta probably wouldn't have helped if it wasn't for the little toad (can't remember his name).

Mut
Tue, 04-06-2004, 01:58 AM
naruto hasn't been funny in a while. the real funny ones are gai and kakashi. when lee drank the sake instead of his medicine, i just shook my head and thought "what a dumbass."

Neji-Aniki-sama
Tue, 04-06-2004, 02:04 AM
Originally posted by: CmDr_RavEn
I'm just talking about something funny happening during a major serious battle. That was just the first example I thought of. True though, Gammabunta probably wouldn't have helped if it wasn't for the little toad (can't remember his name).

My best guess is Gamakuchi. He has a brother, though so I am not 100% sure of his name.
And, sorry... I won't rumage thru my mangas right now...so until somebody says otherwise, his name is Gamakuchi.

originalkrn
Tue, 04-06-2004, 02:07 AM
Originally posted by: Mut@t@
naruto hasn't been funny in a while. the real funny ones are gai and kakashi. when lee drank the sake instead of his medicine, i just shook my head and thought "what a dumbass."

seriously. Kakashi and Gai rock so much tho. I wish they could be in a really serious battle. Together. Kabuto and that other guy should have stayed so they could fight. Maybe theyll meet up again.

Mut
Tue, 04-06-2004, 02:13 AM
Originally posted by: Neji-Aniki-sama

My best guess is Gamakuchi. He has a brother, though so I am not 100% sure of his name.
And, sorry... I won't rumage thru my mangas right now...so until somebody says otherwise, his name is Gamakuchi.

god...you couldn't be more wrong. it's gamakIchi...what is wrong with you...GOD.

Neji-Aniki-sama
Tue, 04-06-2004, 02:28 AM

god...you couldn't be more wrong. it's gamakIchi...what is wrong with you...GOD.

what part of until somebody says otherwise didn't you understand???
Then again, how did the topic changed from Lee's drinking habits to Gama-Bunta's children????

L8r
Tue, 04-06-2004, 03:32 AM

Then again, how did the topic changed from Lee's drinking habits to Gama-Bunta's children????

dont they sorta go hand in hand....
your at a party... get wasted .... BLAM 9 month later you have a kid i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif
i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

Uberbaka
Tue, 04-06-2004, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by: L8r

dont they sorta go hand in hand....
your at a party... get wasted .... BLAM 9 month later you have a kid i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif
i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

*mental image of Lee and Gama having sexual intercourse*

GUAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGGGGGGGGH! Make it stop!

*ahem*

Lee sucked down the sake bottle in one go.. He's a shotter =P He wouldn't have time to react even if he figured out it was sake.

Raven
Tue, 04-06-2004, 09:49 AM

I think he was joking.

Good point, L8r. Hahah, that explains it.

Neji-Aniki-sama
Tue, 04-06-2004, 12:41 PM
[
I think he was joking.

So, was I. Wanna see me mildly pissed go read my answer to hokage 4 or whatever. Wanna see me *really* pissed, look for me in any political board. I doubt that I can get seriously aggravated with people here, especially, because 99% of the time I purposefully ignore _itachi's posts...

Assertn
Tue, 04-06-2004, 12:51 PM
maybe people should start using <sarcasm></sarcasm> tags to avoid any confusion i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

sangai
Tue, 04-06-2004, 01:19 PM
alright id like to say this ,

lee didn't realize it was sake till it was too late he downed it, just knocked it back with out hesitation. went down before he even knew it

good sake is like a warm bourben.

gamakichi is the older frog

gama kuchi or guchi is the younger frog

so they both exist

hiten mitsurugi
Wed, 04-07-2004, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by: originalkrn
well, the little toad wasnt JUST comic relief. If that little toad wasn't there, the big toad (gamabuta was it?) would not have helped him fight Gaara. Gamabuta helped Naruto because Naruto saved the little toad's life while it was being attacked by Gaara.

It was funnier whe Jaraiya (drugged) summoned the small toad. Then naruto tried to summon as well and also produced a small toad.

I disagree with Gamabunta not helping Naruto. Gamabunta would have helped regardless, that is the way of the family. Remember, he had already acknowledged Naruto. No one has ridden on his head since the fourth. If he really wasn't going to help Naruto, then he would have let Naruto die, when Naruto fell off of him (tired from use of chakra). He wouldn't have saved naruto.

Assertn
Wed, 04-07-2004, 05:13 PM
i cant imagine gamabunta just......ignoring shukaku completely......but i have no idea how naruto would go about convincing him without that little frog

lasaire
Wed, 04-07-2004, 08:45 PM
gamakichi is the older frog
gama kuchi or guchi is the younger frog

Gamakichi is the older, little frog. Gamatatsu is the little, little frog that Naruto summoned after the drugged Jiraiya summoned Gamakichi.

Seondly, hiten mitsurugi, remember that the whole scene with Naruto falling off of Gamabunta's head and whatnot was added in the anime only.

hiten mitsurugi
Wed, 04-07-2004, 10:03 PM
K...I guess that's what happens when you post in more than one forum. You're correct though, but the same principle applies. If gamabunta didn't acknowledge Naruto, then he wouldn't have carried Naruto back to the hospital.

Usually I'm always complaining that the books are always better than the movies. But this doesn't apply to manga and animation. The animated series is so much better, detail wise, because you have about 20 minutes to fill. Whereas, in the manga you only have like 18 pages to fill, and you can only include so much detail.

BakaShinji
Thu, 04-08-2004, 11:39 PM
yes - details are good.

just random examples:
kakashi watching naruto do kage buushin.
kakashi having a brainfart while rock climbing.