PDA

View Full Version : help with bit torrent

alcool
Thu, 04-01-2004, 07:32 PM
I am new just started today dont know how to use read other Faqs did not understand anything i am downloading naruto 75 and it takes too long and igot DSL it takes life 4 hours

flashcabaja64
Sat, 04-03-2004, 01:07 AM
so whats your problem?

Tass
Sun, 04-11-2004, 02:00 AM
well i have a problem with bt...maybe we have the same one...here it goes

i started out with good old regular bt, and noticed it was very very slow...1~3 kb/s isnt the speed at which id like to be dling naruto! then i got bt shad0w which was an improvment (4-6 kb/s)....but still not where i'd like to be. is this the norm? or is everyone else doing better?
i heard somewhere that people can open up ports on the router to make it go faster...is that true? if so, what are these ports, where are they, and how do i open them?
if 4~6 kb/s is the normal speed, im sorry for wasting your time...but if it isnt...help!!! =)

EmperorIceBerg
Sun, 04-11-2004, 04:13 AM
Yes Tass you can open ports and it helps tremidously in most cases. Ill try my best to run you through it (Note: Im using Windows XP).

Open your Control Panel>Newtork and Internet Connections>Newtork Connections>Right Click Local Area Connection>Properties>Advanced>Settings>Edit>(Note : You'll need to know your IP Adress, I found it by simpley searching Google "Whats my IP Adress" or something close to that)Enter your IP Adress>Enter your port number (You want to open ports 6881-6889 so you'll have to enter them one by one by hitting OK then Edit again). Hope that helps post if you need anymore help on it. Also I believe Bit Torrents work in such away that your basicly 'in line' to download. So until the X number of people in front of you finish you won't get top speeds.

Tass
Sun, 04-11-2004, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by: EmperorIceBerg
Yes Tass you can open ports and it helps tremidously in most cases. Ill try my best to run you through it (Note: Im using Windows XP).

Open your Control Panel>Newtork and Internet Connections>Newtork Connections>Right Click Local Area Connection>Properties>Advanced>Settings>

i got as far as that. the settings button is grayed out =(

EmperorIceBerg
Sun, 04-11-2004, 05:22 PM
Ah well after a quick check the problem is easily solved. Simpley 'check' the box above that says Internet Connection Firewall and the settings button will be accessible.

Tass
Mon, 04-12-2004, 12:20 AM
ok..ok...getting closer lol...i got to the edit part, and found out my ip...but theres about 9 different ones i can edit, none of them will let me do anything to their ports, and the numbers are all really low (nothing even close to 6881)

do i have to add new ones? if so, what the "description of service," "external Port number for this service," "Internal Port number for this service," and which bubble do i check -- TCP, or UDP?

hope there are no more surprises! lol thanx btw =)

EmperorIceBerg
Mon, 04-12-2004, 01:48 AM
Oh my mistake you dont hit the EDIT button you hit the ADD button. Sorry. So once you hit the ADD button simple type Port 6881 in Description of service, then put in your IP address, and finally in both External and Internal Ports type 6881 and TCP should be the choice 'checked'. Simpley repeat for ports 6881-6889 and everything should work.

Tass
Mon, 04-12-2004, 11:05 AM
cool, thanx for everything...havn't tried it yet, but i definitly think i can do it when i get home...i'll let you know if i run into a problem, but i think i got it =) ty ty ty!

EmperorIceBerg
Mon, 04-12-2004, 07:32 PM
Do itashimashite

Tass
Tue, 04-13-2004, 01:44 PM
All ports are in, system is go! now that this firewall is enabled, will it prevent me from doing anything? iv heard about games not working and stuff because of firewall protection...not a Huge concern, cuz i could allways turn it off after i use bt...but im just curious

EmperorIceBerg
Tue, 04-13-2004, 07:45 PM
Im not exactly sure. All I know is I keep my firewall on at all times and it doesnt seem to do anything, not even when I play games.

Tass
Wed, 04-14-2004, 08:37 AM
well it looks ok...havn't noticed any change at all actually...i think i might be going faster (BT DL wise) but im not sure...hard to tell with how random the DL sped is anyway. thanks again for everything! =)