PDA

View Full Version : Chunnins suck (except for Shika)

CapsuleCorpJX
Sat, 03-27-2004, 03:02 PM
From what I've seen, every chunnin shown (especially the sound and sand chunnins in the Konoha war) has been killed like foot soldiers. Mizuki sucked, Naruto (an academy student then), kicked his ass using a jounin level kage bushin, a jutsu that other gennins (Sasuke, Lee, Neji, Kiba) could counter/handle. Iruka is just as worthless as he was almost killed by Mizuki.

None of the Chunnins besides Shikamaru is shown to have any special abilities. All they do is fight taijutsu style and get their asses kicked by Kakashi and Gai.

The fights shown between the gennin team and the sound four looks like elite jounin level battles, compared to chunnin battles.

chaos4ever4
Sat, 03-27-2004, 03:57 PM
well, they're main characters (naruto, et al.). what would you expect? a massive rape-a-thon? the manga wouldn't hold or be remotely interesting.

Gods_Son
Sat, 03-27-2004, 04:05 PM
Shikamaru is one of the few Chunnins that people actually know. People said that the ANBU sucked also, but if they showed Kakashi or Itachi back when they were ANBU, nobody would say anything. I'm sure there will be other strong Chunnins later, maybe the ones who held the fake Chunnin exam.

itachi_
Sat, 03-27-2004, 04:15 PM
Hmm we still haven't seen Iruka in action, most likely he's less good then shikamaru in his current state with his new jutsu and such, as before, chuunin only depends on leadership and the will to put your squad's survival on the top, not strenge.

Tenkei
Sat, 03-27-2004, 04:49 PM
As far as Mizuki goes .. hm. I think that episode/chapter should be taken very lightly. Since this was the first chapter/episode -- it's most likely that it was used to get people hooked on it. I imagine it came off much better showing Naruto as someone with the hidden strength to beat up someone on such a higher level.

I wouldn't take most Chuunins that lightly, though. Iruka and Mizuki seem to be stuck at Chuunin levels. That is - they don't seem to want to proceed any further, even with taking up the less pysical jobs of teaching. It's likely that they were once good at a point, before they started to relax as Chuunins and not progress as much.

I think an active Chuunin working towards Jounin rank would be a force to reckon with, still, though. ^^ (Of course, Naruto will almost always win if it's a serious life/death type battle).

SideLabel
Sat, 03-27-2004, 05:32 PM
You also have to keep in mind that Naruto's generation is the one with all the bloodlines and special abilities. The people who are chunings now, and I'm talking about the well established ones, like Iruka, are from the previous generation. The previous generation with bloodlines and so forth is of Kakashi age and up, leaving the ones in between those two generation at the "average" level. And as Chaos said, of course they have to be something out of the ordinary, or everything would be dead boring.

Everon
Sat, 03-27-2004, 05:41 PM
Yes Mizuki was weak, but it was a pilot so you shouldn't expect much from the earlier episodes. Kishimoto was still creating the "naruto universe." As for chuunins being weak, remember that most of the Chunnins are shown facing Jounins most of the time. You have Jounins face a Genin and they're dead meat. Look at Orochimaru v. Sasuke, Oro was just fooling around and no matter what Sasuke could do all he ended up doing was burning off his mask.

Edit: What makes the genins look strong is that all the rookie genins made it to the preliminaries, while people much older were unable to. This years batch of ninjas are exceptionally good and it makes them look like they're really strong.

Neji-Aniki-sama
Sat, 03-27-2004, 06:43 PM
Actually, thinking of that, I am yet to see the ANBU being useful in anything else than getting killed finding corpses, and watching.
Starting by the three of them who died, just like that, in Sasuke hospital room.
The Sand was summoning a giant snake in a giant circle and they didn't notice it. As a matter of fact, one of them noticed a sound ninja but didn't bother to stop and check.
And those three watching the 3rd's fight were pathetic. The two Kazekage guards that one of them kills, were actually those four sounds henged who not only not died, but did a good job protecting Oro.
I think the Anbu sucks even more than the chunnins.

rockmanj
Sun, 03-28-2004, 03:20 PM
well, it seems that way, but isn't anko their captain?? she doesent seem like such a greta leader if her troops get spanked like puttys from the power rangers...but then again i can't stay mad at anko i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

Neji-Aniki-sama
Sun, 03-28-2004, 04:41 PM
Is she? where did you get that from???

Harageki
Sun, 03-28-2004, 06:47 PM
I regard this issue as simillar to belts in martial arts (in my case, kung fu).

Purely for example: Today I was at a grading, and saw a brown belt (just below black) preform a set pattern of movements - yet his actual UNDERSTANDING of the form was pretty awful. He looked like he was just moving for the sake of moving, not understanding what he was actually doing. He was flimsy, and even a little clumsy. Later on, I saw a different brown belt preforming the same form, and wow. He used breathing techniques, had fluidity in movement, speed, power, balance, etc. The point I`m trying to make (a very long winded one, lol..) is, you can have the same RANK as another person, but `ranks/belts` dont mean anything - purely technical knowledge at base level. The individual differs from another - look at Itachi. When he was Anbu, I`m betting he could kick the ass off all the other members, probabaly all at once.

Gods_Son
Sun, 03-28-2004, 07:49 PM
yeah, within different villages, ranks, bloodlines, etc. there is a wide range of skill. The dying ANBU and Chunnins are just used as a tool for the war, they're all nameless so it doesn't matter if they die.

Mut
Sun, 03-28-2004, 09:31 PM
i think that there is just a HUGE gap between the chuunins and the jounins. i guess that's why there aren't a abundant amount of jounins flying around.

AnbuAone
Mon, 03-29-2004, 12:01 PM
Who Cares. Love the anime.

Raven
Mon, 03-29-2004, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by: AnbuAone
Who Cares. Love the anime.
Technically you could say that about every thread on this board. It's called discussion, it's quite good if you give it the chance.

hiten mitsurugi
Mon, 03-29-2004, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by: CapsuleCorpJX
From what I've seen, every chunnin shown (especially the sound and sand chunnins in the Konoha war) has been killed like foot soldiers. Mizuki sucked, Naruto (an academy student then), kicked his ass using a jounin level kage bushin, a jutsu that other gennins (Sasuke, Lee, Neji, Kiba) could counter/handle. Iruka is just as worthless as he was almost killed by Mizuki.

None of the Chunnins besides Shikamaru is shown to have any special abilities. All they do is fight taijutsu style and get their asses kicked by Kakashi and Gai.

The fights shown between the gennin team and the sound four looks like elite jounin level battles, compared to chunnin battles.

Iruka deliberately injured himself while protecting Naruto with his body. How can you assume that he's worthless. For all we know Iruka could have unleashed a "maelstrom of power that we've never seen before," by a chunnin.