PDA

View Full Version : yashamaru dude or drag queen

GhostKaGe
Sat, 03-27-2004, 10:16 AM
is he really a man? or was he just in drag for the manga?
maybe its a women dressed as a man for the anime

Gods_Son
Sat, 03-27-2004, 10:30 AM
You made a poll...wasn't there already a discussion of this going on somewhere? Anyways I'd say drag queen because in the manga I always thought yasha was a girl and in the anime it seemed like a man.

GhostKaGe
Sat, 03-27-2004, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by: KonohamaruCorps
You made a poll...wasn't there already a discussion of this going on somewhere? Anyways I'd say drag queen because in the manga I always thought yasha was a girl and in the anime it seemed like a man.

naturally i made a poll it had to be done im intoxicated what do you expect.

jonny-mt
Sat, 03-27-2004, 11:27 AM
Yeah beer and Internet!

I voted for woman; I still believe that. Someone mentioned in the other discussion that women's names commonly use -ko while men's use -maru. But I got curious so I looked up the 'Yasha' in her name, using the kanji in the manga.

Turns out it means 'female demon'.

I'm not alone in thinking she's a woman, though; I was talking to my host-sister (she and her kids read and watch Naruto, too) about this, and she called Yashamaru Gaara's mother's 'imouto', or younger sister...so if the Nihon-jin are saying it's so, I'm inclined to believe the same.

Even though she speaks in polite form, it would be expected that she would call herself 'boku' if she was a boy, but she calls herself 'watashi' instead. She hasn't gone to the level of keigo (uber-polite speech), but actually speaks a little more casually than Rock Lee, who does call himself 'boku', so it's not a characteristic of politeness to refer to herself as 'watashi'.

Besides, that level of motherly devotion in a guy is a little...creepy....

'u' is not the same as 'e' in English i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif Looked it up right in Japanese, tho

PSJ
Sat, 03-27-2004, 01:31 PM
but his name is yahsamaru not yashumaru and he is a guy. i also believed that he was a woman at first but look carefully in the manga and anime he dont got any breasts! what kind of woman got no breasts?

jonny-mt
Sat, 03-27-2004, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by: Pervert-Sennin Jiraiya
but his name is yahsamaru not yashumaru and he is a guy. i also believed that he was a woman at first but look carefully in the manga and anime he dont got any breasts! what kind of woman got no breasts?

Oops; my apologies, I wrote down the English reading wrong. Post edited i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif For whatever reason I still looked up the correct kanji/readings in Japanese, though, so my point is still the same.

As for the boobage...I dunno. There aren't that many money shots of Gaara's...let's call her his caretaker...chest, so it's hard to judge. Besides, Kishimoto doesn't draw big-chested women save for Anko and Tsunade, so you can't go by that. Who was the girl who found the sick examiner's body; wasn't she pretty flat? Toss in the fact she's wearing either thick robes or ninja uniforms and you get even more muffled. And c'mon, Yashamaru's too pretty to be a guy; she's got the long hair and the whole eyelash thing going on, and Kishimoto just doesn't draw bishounen you can't be sure of. Orochimaru is the closest, but it didn't take long to figure out he was a guy.

Assertn
Sat, 03-27-2004, 02:55 PM
i simply cant imagine a female having the voice that yashamaru has though.......

Gods_Son
Sat, 03-27-2004, 04:01 PM
Not all women have big breasts, and as for her voice, there are a lot of women with manly voices. Just watch Hookers at the Point on HBO or somethin, you'll find plenty of manly women.

Terracosmo
Sat, 03-27-2004, 04:51 PM
He was always a guy, but I think it's a typical male thing to assume he is female since he did some... well... girly things in the manga, and said emotional stuff.

Gods_Son
Sat, 03-27-2004, 04:53 PM
I guess that might be why, but he also looked so much like a girl, I thought it was just the twin sister of Gaara's mom.

Terracosmo
Sat, 03-27-2004, 04:56 PM
We have all been fooled in such a way!

GhostKaGe
Sat, 03-27-2004, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by: Terracosmo

even when wasted i've never been fooled in such a way. hopfully never will

Everon
Sat, 03-27-2004, 06:05 PM
unfortunately its a guy. IMO it would have made more sense for it be a girl. For one thing Gaara gets confused and we see a Sakura and Yashamaru flashback connection. I believe someone already said this, but it would be more emotionaly powerful had it been a female that betrayed Gaara, and was likes a surrogate mother for Gaara.

Jman
Sat, 03-27-2004, 06:15 PM
yashamaru is questionable but is definitely a guy.

sangai
Sat, 03-27-2004, 07:05 PM
after rewatching 75 i wonder why i didn't realize that yashamaru is a dude i mean i guess i had had it in my head that he was a chick and ignored the voice

PSJ
Sat, 03-27-2004, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by: KonohamaruCorps
Not all women have big breasts, and as for her voice, there are a lot of women with manly voices. Just watch Hookers at the Point on HBO or somethin, you'll find plenty of manly women.

yea but yashamaru doesnt got any in the scene where he cuts himself in the finger. if i remember correctly you can see down his shirt/coat thingy in that part, i might be wrong tho.

Gods_Son
Sat, 03-27-2004, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by: Pervert-Sennin Jiraiya

yea but yashamaru doesnt got any in the scene where he cuts himself in the finger. if i remember correctly you can see down his shirt/coat thingy in that part, i might be wrong tho.

I wasn't really looking when I saw the ep, and I deleted it now, but I'm sure you're right

Kyubi Unleashed
Sat, 03-27-2004, 10:19 PM
Gaaah.... through all of the ep. where Yashamaru was in (75, 76, w/e), I kept on thinking 'How the heck can this be a man....??' Later, when he 'tried' to kill Gaara, I kinda saw his rather manly body. But still, in the manga, I swore he was a woman. Geez. It confused me so badly..

Haku no Fuyu
Sun, 03-28-2004, 03:57 AM
Yasha doesn't mean "female demon", it just means soldier, or knight.
-
-
Following your logic, Inuyasha must be female too.

Neji-Aniki-sama
Sun, 03-28-2004, 04:17 AM
Originally posted by: Haku no Fuyu

That's the kind of statement that opened several diferent cans of worms in different Inuyasha forums.
I was ready to pass on that one, but now, since you've mentioned it...
i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

jonny-mt
Sun, 03-28-2004, 05:33 AM
Yasha doesn't mean "female demon", it just means soldier, or knight.
-
-

http://dictionary.goo.ne.jp/search.php?MT=%CC%EB%BA%B5&kind=je

Might wanna run 'solder' and 'knight' through that same dictionary.

Actually, I went ahead and looked up 'yasha' in my Japanese-Japanese dictionary, and here's what I got (raw so you can verify):

kao katachi no osoroshii kodai indo no kami
The fearful face of an ancient Indian god.

So it's not a general 'female demon' so much as it is a specific one. And I haven't watched Inuyasha, but if I recall right he's half-demon, half-human, right? Think it might be a namesake or something? I'm going to have to plead ignorance on that one.

Anyways, the fact that this is what her name means does not necessarily mean she's female, and I never made any statement to that effect. It is, however, an interesting bit of evidence that supports my theory.

Haku no Fuyu
Sun, 03-28-2004, 12:01 PM
Trust me here bubs, I speak the language. I'm FROM TOKYO. I think I know what I'm talking about.

jonny-mt
Sun, 03-28-2004, 12:23 PM
And I live in Kyoto. Don't wanna start a fight or anything; if you're a native speaker then I'm sure your Kung-fu is much, much stronger than mine, but having the exact same definition in two dictionaries (I also checked Breen's EDICT) is a little surprising. I also ran searches for the term to try and verify your claim and all I came up with was a rock band and a bunch of masks (I did -inuyasha to leave that one out). Must be something I'm unaware of; if you have a chance I'd love for you to PM me and explain a little more, like a usage example (and the 'to'/'mo' thing I PMed you earlier about, too). Every little bit of knowledge helps....

*sigh* That's the problem with any language; there's always different translations, and there's always more to learn i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

Haku no Fuyu
Sun, 03-28-2004, 12:41 PM
True. Where in kyoto are you? My aunt lives there.

rockmanj
Sun, 03-28-2004, 03:27 PM

whoa...sounds like you're takin it personal!! don't hurt anyone

Fox Fire
Sun, 03-28-2004, 04:32 PM
yasha mean demon.

(Inuyasha mean dog demon, duh.)

Terracosmo
Sun, 03-28-2004, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by: rockmanj

*Kills rockmanj with a piece of paper & a pencil*

rockmanj
Sun, 03-28-2004, 07:14 PM

Originally posted by: rockmanj

*Kills rockmanj with a piece of paper & a pencil*

*returns as a sword weilding zombie*

Hyuga Koji
Sun, 03-28-2004, 09:47 PM
I thought that Yashamaru was the paternal twin of Gaara's mother.

Paternal twins are very similar in looks but of different genders.

Yashamaru is Gaara's uncle.

Gods_Son
Sun, 03-28-2004, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by: Hyuga Koji
I thought that Yashamaru was the paternal twin of Gaara's mother.

Paternal twins are very similar in looks but of different genders.

Yashamaru is Gaara's uncle.

yeah if I knew Yashamaru was a guy, I would've thought the same all along

jonny-mt
Mon, 03-29-2004, 02:28 AM
True. Where in kyoto are you? My aunt lives there.

Nice! I'm down in Miyajima; I get to walk across the Uji River every day before heading up to Okazaki to go to school. I love it here; you keep forgetting how big the city is until you get a view from the surrounding mountains, and then you're just blown away. And the sakura are starting to come out now, too, so it's that much more beautiful.

Came here to get my fill of Japan, and once I go back to the States I'm just going to be itching to return....

Haku no Fuyu
Mon, 03-29-2004, 08:35 AM
For me it's the other way around...
I'm currently in the states attending school, (btw Texas is no place for the likes of me) I can't WAIT to get home and sleep. I miss the mountains (though I've only ben to them twice...me be a city boy ^.^), and Shibuya, the station, the Mc Donalds I used to hand out outside...
I WANNA GO HOME!!!

jonny-mt
Mon, 03-29-2004, 12:08 PM
lol Texas is no place for the likes of a lot of people...and just because I'm from the little L-shaped state next door doesn't make me biased or anything i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

I'm sure you're family is just ridiculously proud of you studying in the States, and I know you recognize that with English that good you'll have your own little mountain of job offers when you get back. I just wish I had the means (and the degree) to stay on as long as I possibly could; went and made the mistake of falling in love with another country, so it looks like I'm either gonna have to choose or split the rest of my life between the two i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

Benkyou ni ganbare ne!

Neji-Aniki-sama
Mon, 03-29-2004, 12:56 PM
I'm currently in the states attending school, (btw Texas is no place for the likes of me) I can't WAIT to get home and sleep. I miss the mountains (though I've only ben to them twice...me be a city boy ^.^), and Shibuya, the station, the Mc Donalds I used to hand out outside...
I WANNA GO HOME!!!

Hey, there's Little Tokyo in LA...

Raven
Mon, 03-29-2004, 09:14 PM
This whole thread is just the "Haku: Boy or Girl?" discussion all over again.

Haku no Fuyu
Mon, 03-29-2004, 10:54 PM
I know. My uncle Satoshi works in L.A.
I've never been there before though, how is it?
Would it stave off my hoome-sickness?

Oh, and Jonny-mt, good luck in your studies too!

lionheart1012000
Tue, 03-30-2004, 12:10 AM
I WANNA GO HOME!!!

and what exactly is so wrong about texas? i happen to live in tx and i love it...its hot as hell yes but its great.

Haku no Fuyu
Tue, 03-30-2004, 12:14 AM
But it's just not home.

lionheart1012000
Tue, 03-30-2004, 12:21 AM
well, yeah, ill give you that. its a real drag when your away from your home and surroundings and such, i should know since my parents always force me to go with them when they go to mexico, its a real pain since all that happens is me getting sick. @_@ sorry if this becomes a double post.

Haku no Fuyu
Tue, 03-30-2004, 12:32 AM
How is Mexico?

lionheart1012000
Tue, 03-30-2004, 12:37 AM
mexico...well i dont really know how to explain it, but lets just say its a bit worse than texas in some forms @_@...while in some forms its actually alot better. i guess its all up to personal opinion.

Haku no Fuyu
Tue, 03-30-2004, 12:38 AM
Ah.
*Sings Sakura some more*

originalkrn
Tue, 03-30-2004, 02:08 AM
yeah.. he is a guy, no doubt. I couldn't beleive Haku was a guy tho. Haha that scared me...

jonny-mt
Wed, 03-31-2004, 07:53 AM
All right, after watching Naruto tonight (an excellent episode, by the way, for those who think the quality is going downhill), I'm ready to concede. Yashamaru's voice was just too manly in a situation where the timbre of a woman's voice would be more wavering and weak. My host sister and I talked about it, and she also conceded that she thought he was a woman in the manga, but that he appears to be a guy, judging by the anime.

I concede! Your victory! Yashamaru's a guy! Ore no make! Bowing to the masters as we speak....

RaZzy
Wed, 03-31-2004, 04:00 PM
Well i even knew in the manga that he was a guy..
And I'm an anime noob 0_o

Banned!
Thu, 04-01-2004, 11:16 PM
i think if yashamaru is a guy hes a drag queen but if yashamaru is a girl then she is lol