PDA

View Full Version : Robotech and Macross

Munsu
Thu, 03-25-2004, 07:54 PM
I was just wondering if someone could explain to me the difference and/or similarities between Robotech and Super Dimencional Fortress Macross? Plot wise, character wise, story wise, animetion wise... anything that comes to mind...

I'm just wondering because i dont know if i should watch both or is one of them suficient? I'm currently thinking of watching Robotech only...

Thanks for any information and/or opinion that you might provide for the cause..

Hyuga Koji
Thu, 03-25-2004, 08:39 PM
The main difference between Robotech and Macross is that Robotech is actually 3 seperate series combined

the one you mentioned plus Super Dimensional Cavalry Southern Cross and Genesis Climber Mospeada.

There were some changes made to the story to try to connect the series and Macross is by far the most important and best of the three series so if you want the real story i would recommend watching only Macross first and then Robotech later.

I can't really name the changes in Macross to connect the series but the combination of the series is the main one.

Other than that not much is changed to my recollection.

Munsu
Thu, 03-25-2004, 08:48 PM
Ok... i guess i'll just watch the whole macross series then... I'm not really interested in robotech... i just want to watch the whole macross series all the way up to Macross Zero...

One more question... are the first 36 episodes of Robotech the same as Super Dimencional? or does it contain the changes you talked about?

hybridchild
Fri, 03-26-2004, 01:57 PM
Theyre are some major and some minor changes from SDF Macross to Robotech the Macross Saga check this (https://<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href=)">http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=228[/S</a> out for a full list of the differances

Hybridchild

Takenoko
Sat, 03-27-2004, 10:10 PM
Actually you really don't want to watch Macross/Robotech just because of Macross Zero, because Macross Zero really doesn't follow the story at all. The themes are the same, but they really went back and changed a lot of story fundaments.

How can you like Macross Zero but not Macross? Macross Zero is really icing on the cake, but original Macross/Robotech will always be a classic.

It's really complicated, there's actually several series with the Macross title. At a point in time the first 26 americanized episodes were billed at Macross, but lated changed to Robotech (not sure when, but if you buy the DVDS they're all called Robotech now). I'd really recommend just watching the first 26 of the american version and bypass the japanese versions, unless you become more interested in robotech.

Another robotech OAV you might want to check out (if you liked Zero), is Macross Plus.

-take

hybridchild
Sun, 03-28-2004, 12:49 PM
Robotech and Macross ae differant series, Macross Plus is a sequal of SDF Macross it has nothing to do with robotech.

As for the DVD's ADV have released Robotech and Animego relasesd SDF Macross, Robotech is cut badly mastered, is dumbed down for kids and only dubbed, Macross is uncut, beautifully remastered and subbed

and btw its 36 eps not 26

Hybridchild