PDA

View Full Version : Release Comparison of GITS: SAC 2nd GIG

blkbird
Thu, 03-18-2004, 11:22 PM
A release comparison between K0nspira, NT and LMF with capture images is available for online reading (beware of long loading time: EU mirror (http://animeone.mine.nu/sac2_comp/), US mirror (http://foxmulder.kenners.net/gits_comparison/)) or offline download (3.3 MB zip file: EU mirror (http://animeone.mine.nu/sac2_comp/gitssac2g_release_comparison.zip), US mirror (http://foxmulder.kenners.net/gits_comparison/gitssac2g_release_comparison.zip)).

LawnDawg
Fri, 03-19-2004, 11:50 AM
Neat. Never really noticed that. Colours are much richer in the K0n subs.

Swallow Your Soul
Fri, 03-19-2004, 02:25 PM
I never even knew anyone besides LMF did it...

it says on that page LMF subbing isn't as good which is kind of annoying...but meh, the episodes have still been really good...plus I think it is a good thing for me that LMF maybe do shorter (albeit less accurate) and more fluent lines. I don't like it when theres way too much text on the screen. I remember one of the episodes in GIG 1 (before LMF started doing them) where a load of people are in an online chat room thing and trying to keep up with the subtitles and absorb the meaning from them could be quite difficult at times.

Then again it kinda sucks that some of the sub-text (whatever you wanna call it) in the plot can go missing...I hope its not anything too crucial :/

hybridchild
Fri, 03-19-2004, 03:00 PM
anyone know what codecs you need for the Konspira versions, i have their versions of the tacikoma specilas but i cant get them to work

Hybridchild

Tachikoma
Fri, 03-19-2004, 11:19 PM
I've got one of the Konspira Tachikoma specials. I noticed the colours are a bit off on the cel-shaded edges, and there's little video glitches here and there. I'm going to wait until someone else subs them (if they do).

As for the normal episodes, I'm sticking with LMF. They may take their time (as stated on the webby), but they do it well. As others have stated, they have short and fluent lines, and context/techie language errors are non-existent. A good all-round fansub.

As for trying to keep up with fast-paced subtitles, that's what the pause button's there for i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif. If something goes too quick to read, I either pause it or wind it back a few seconds. It lets you take more in (subs and details), as well as reviewing the cool bits (like 2nd GIG, ep 01 beginning) i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif.

blkbird
Sat, 03-20-2004, 02:12 AM
Originally posted by: Tachikoma
and context/techie language errors are non-existent.

I guess you cannot be sure of that. The fact you watch a fabsub means you don't really speak Japanese, either, so how do you know there is no error? Look again in the review (new version on the EU mirror) in section "Translation", a possible "context language error" is described there. Maybe you can ask a Japanese friend about it.

Tachikoma
Sat, 03-20-2004, 08:59 AM
Ah, you've got me there.

What I meant by 'context/techie language errors' was that there seems to be nothing that can be taken two ways, e.g. not ambiguous, which leads to confusion, and the techie bits all make sense. An example I can think of is that the fansubs all call a Tachikoma a Tachikoma, whereas the offical subs call them 'mutli-legged tanks'. Okay, this may be true, but we all know what a Tachikoma is by what they refer to.

It's funny you should say that I should ask a Japanese person. I actually have a Japanese friends here at Uni who's helping me with my Japanese studies (but I'm not good enough to go completely without subs yet i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif). She's seen a couple of Tachikoma specials, and she said that although the translation is not exact (mostly wording of a sentence) it still makes sense to her and myelf (even when the English is translated back into Japanese).

In the end, everyone's going to have their favourite. I still like LMF, as they get every episode to ~175Mb, which means 4 fit nicely to a CD, and even if their video quality lacks a little, you don't really notice when it's moving, only when it's paused (which I think makes the video comparisons linked above a bit unfair). I've noticed before that the cleaner and sharper an image is, the more you(/I seem to) notice defects and movements glitches. Maybe it's just me.

Swallow Your Soul
Sat, 03-20-2004, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by: Tachikoma
As for trying to keep up with fast-paced subtitles, that's what the pause button's there for i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif. If something goes too quick to read, I either pause it or wind it back a few seconds. It lets you take more in (subs and details), as well as reviewing the cool bits (like 2nd GIG, ep 01 beginning) i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif.

Thats true, but annoying really, I don't mind on most episodes as its only between 0-3 times where I have to go back and pause it (though when watching in divx player i can sometimes find myself having to move it back quite a long way behind the bit I need to pause) to see what is said - that is mainly when they refer to something Japanese in the subtitles and an explanation of what that thing is at the top of the screen.

Its just episodes like the one I mentioned where I constantly had to go back and pause it constantly (any more than 5 times gets pretty annoying). That was before LMF though so the subs are easier to read now i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

In all fairness though I guess I can't complain too much seeing as I get the eps for free anyway i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif, but then the show isn't out over here and if/when it ever does its gonna cost like £20 for 4 episodes (like almost all anime over here is a complete fucking rip off!) so I could never afford that anyway...

Everon
Sat, 03-20-2004, 01:58 PM
I watch a few of the Konspira subs and sometimes thier translations are pretty good (sometimes thier interpretations are off, sometimes spot on), but overall I think LMF is better because they a usually more consistent.