http://www.capcom.co.jp/jiraiya/movie.html

http://www.kiseido.com/printss/ji.html

Mut
Thu, 03-18-2004, 01:46 AM
i don't understand what the problem is. why WTF

Assertn
Thu, 03-18-2004, 01:50 AM
yeah, not surprising....
there are alot of mythological references in naruto, especially with the sannins. Afterall, Orochimaru i believe was a name used in reference to a snake, and same with the sword that he pulls out. And there are legends about conflicts with toads and snakes and stuff too.

Jman
Thu, 03-18-2004, 03:18 AM
Jiraiya

His name came from old Japanese story(Jiraiya Goketsu Monogatari). This story was published over 30 years! The origin of this Jiraiya was actually named (Garaiya, meaning I came) in an old story in China called (Kaishi). Even name, Jirayia has a few different ways to write in Kanji.
This story is now played in (Kabuki). The way Jiraiya looks in Naruto is similar to what he looks like in the Kabuki play. They way he talks is also from Kabuki.

googled and got that. don't know if it's all correct though

jonny-mt
Thu, 03-18-2004, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by: animemaster

Jiraiya

His name came from old Japanese story(Jiraiya Goketsu Monogatari). This story was published over 30 years! The origin of this Jiraiya was actually named (Garaiya, meaning I came) in an old story in China called (Kaishi). Even name, Jirayia has a few different ways to write in Kanji.
This story is now played in (Kabuki). The way Jiraiya looks in Naruto is similar to what he looks like in the Kabuki play. They way he talks is also from Kabuki.

googled and got that. don't know if it's all correct though

It is, actually. The story is apparently roughly thirty volumes long and last published in the early 19th Century, so if you want to learn Classical (at least more classical) Japanese and go at it, feel free.

I heard about this about a week ago from a friend who had another friend do some research for him (and before you go on about friend-of-a-friend, I did see the original e-mail/results). If I recall correctly, the story involves Jiraiya, Tsunade, and Orochimaru. Jiraiya was a hermit who eventually found a magician who taught him toad magic. He eventually married a beautiful maiden named Tsunade, who was skilled in Slug Magic and settled down in a little house. One day an evil sorcerer named Orochimaru threatened their home and surrounding villages with his snake magic, so Jiraiya and Tsunade fought and defeated him.

Winged Dancer
Thu, 03-18-2004, 03:38 PM
Yeah, that's all correct. I read another version once - Orochimaru married a Princess named Tsunade and they were both good with magic, and then one of his most trusted servants betrayed him and changed his name to Orochimaru (meaning "monstruous snake"), but he defeated him with the help of his wife.

BTW, the kanjis used to write "Jiraiya" in that movie are completely different from the ones used to write "Jiraiya" in Naruto...

Also, its very interesting that Jiraiya's actual look comes from a Kabuki play. I wonder if Kishimoto likes Kabuki? Most japanese find it too boring to watch...

Edit : Just watched the movies carefully... God, that Orochimaru sucks big time. He looks just so fuggin stupid!!! And the girl... Kuchsomething, looks terrible too. I like the Naruto look much, MUCH better. By far. Jiraiya looks cooler/wiser (to some extent) and Orochimaru actually looks like a bad guy... not like a stand-in.

bitwar
Thu, 03-18-2004, 05:16 PM
The game looks fun though. If it comes to the US, I WANT!!! i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

Toruxxx
Thu, 03-18-2004, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by: Winged Dancer
Yeah, that's all correct. I read another version once - Orochimaru married a Princess named Tsunade and they were both good with magic, and then one of his most trusted servants betrayed him and changed his name to Orochimaru (meaning "monstruous snake"), but he defeated him with the help of his wife.

BTW, the kanjis used to write "Jiraiya" in that movie are completely different from the ones used to write "Jiraiya" in Naruto...

Also, its very interesting that Jiraiya's actual look comes from a Kabuki play. I wonder if Kishimoto likes Kabuki? Most japanese find it too boring to watch...

Edit : Just watched the movies carefully... God, that Orochimaru sucks big time. He looks just so fuggin stupid!!! And the girl... Kuchsomething, looks terrible too. I like the Naruto look much, MUCH better. By far. Jiraiya looks cooler/wiser (to some extent) and Orochimaru actually looks like a bad guy... not like a stand-in.

I hope you mean Jiraiya marrys Tsunade lol i think u did tho but u put Orochimaru married Tsunade. but anyway thats the one i read about aswell very cool i think the way Kishimoto has used em in the anime.

Everon
Thu, 03-18-2004, 10:43 PM
So I guess there are more cartoons with Jiraya, huh?

The_Fourth
Thu, 03-18-2004, 11:19 PM
I thought it was a bit strange, not just for the appearance but they changed the name of the character that is supposely Tsunade.

ech3lon
Thu, 03-18-2004, 11:39 PM
i thought in naruto, tsunade cant get married for some reasons i think....... correct me if i'm wrong.....

jonny-mt
Fri, 03-19-2004, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by: ech3lon
i thought in naruto, tsunade cant get married for some reasons i think....... correct me if i'm wrong.....

*reminds self to remember which forum he's in at the moment*

Kagari
Fri, 03-19-2004, 10:12 AM
^^ this is the anime forum, big guy, so no talking about the manga...or un-introduced characters.

As far as the Jirayia thing goes....weird that he's on a frog, it tripped me out for a second! He looks WAY cooler with the hermit gear and the white hair, though!

Ganesh
Sat, 03-20-2004, 09:30 AM
damn, hmm from all the info you guys/girls have been saying and by basing that this game is based on a legend. it seems to me that naruto is not entirely original... i mean the music in that game is similar to naruo's (right at the end when they summon their animals and a little before that). also, this game does hand seals too! argh I thought naruto was original.

jonny-mt
Sat, 03-20-2004, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by: Kagari
^^ this is the anime forum, big guy, so no talking about the manga...or un-introduced characters.

As far as the Jirayia thing goes....weird that he's on a frog, it tripped me out for a second! He looks WAY cooler with the hermit gear and the white hair, though!

Ach, whoops! All apologies; I thought for some reason I was in open discussion. I'll just fix that....

Thanks for the flame-free warning, by the way i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

The_Fourth
Sat, 03-20-2004, 01:09 PM
I also think Jiraiya looks way cooler with its white hair and his clothes.

boinsie
Sat, 03-20-2004, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by: Ganesh
damn, hmm from all the info you guys/girls have been saying and by basing that this game is based on a legend. it seems to me that naruto is not entirely original... i mean the music in that game is similar to naruo's (right at the end when they summon their animals and a little before that). also, this game does hand seals too! argh I thought naruto was original.

Errr... you've gone 75 eps and haven't realized that almost all of the major chars/ideas in Naruto have been influenced greatly by the Japanese culture/history and their myths? Come on, man. That's your own ignorance showing itsself. The music in the game is similar to Naruto's because they're both influenced by ancient Japanese music... Japanese flutes and drums and such.

Inquisitor77
Wed, 03-24-2004, 12:43 AM
Nah, Naruto is original. At least, it's as original as can be expected. Saying Naruto isn't original because it makes some references to old Japanese stories is like saying DragonBall (and all subsequent iterations) isn't originall because it's "based" on Journey to the West...