PDA

View Full Version : Did anybody notice......

Raven
Sun, 03-14-2004, 11:31 PM
Did anybody notice that in ep 74, Shino didn't say he was a Chuunin from the hidden leaf, like he did in the manga, but rather he said he was from the Aburame clan.

I remember a while back that we were discussing his "chuunin" line, whether or not he just assumed he'd be promoted, or if it was just a translation error. I guess the anime production team made him say it differently, or maybe A/A translated it differently from the manger subber. You can definitely hear the word Aburame pronounced, so I guess it's the former.

I also noticed in the anime that he said something along the lines of "even if our enemy is a small bug, we will not underestimate it". Sif the Aburame clan would ever be enemies with a bug! i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

raijin
Mon, 03-15-2004, 12:06 AM
Well, the "chuunin quote" by Shino in the translated manga chapter is incorrect (mistranslation).

Tenshi28
Mon, 03-15-2004, 12:08 AM
he might've said he was on par with the rest of the chuunins (much like sasuke, or [in my opinion] any other of the new rookie genin).

Raven
Mon, 03-15-2004, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by: raijin
Well, the "chuunin quote" by Shino in the translated manga chapter is incorrect (mistranslation).
You say it as if it's a known fact. Wasn't there a big debate about it back in the day?

raijin
Mon, 03-15-2004, 12:34 AM
From the manga:

Original: Oreha Konoha no Aburame Ichizoku
Translated: I am from the Leaf's Aburame Clan/Household.

Shino never mentions that he is a chuunin, hence it was a mistranslation.

After looking closely at that particular chapter, it seems the translator used a Chinese scan. Some things may have been altered from the transition from Japanese to Chinese and from Chinese to English.

Raven
Mon, 03-15-2004, 12:38 AM
Ah right. I've only read one version of it, so I just took that as being real. In my version he says "I am a chuunin". I remember a while ago there were quite a few people discussing why he would say that.

Assertn
Mon, 03-15-2004, 12:59 AM
yes, but the same goes for the debate about whether zabuza actually is referenced by um, itachi's partner (forget his name). One version acknowledges zabuza as one of their special mist group members, while another doesnt even mention the name zabuza at all

XwingRob
Mon, 03-15-2004, 02:12 AM
And don't forget that one chapter when Itachi appears for the very first time. His partner mentioned something about Gaara not being there anymore. But the translators weren't sure if that was the correct name or not.
So I can't wait until that's cleared up in the anime.

itachi_
Mon, 03-15-2004, 02:25 AM
Yeah I was the one or one of them who said it back then, in the manga he says like "I'm aburame shino a chuunin from hidden leaf village but now he says he's from the aburame clan.

Mut
Mon, 03-15-2004, 03:55 AM
shino sucks.

Yondaime
Mon, 03-15-2004, 05:34 AM
i think shino is pretty good....since he was so easily able to beat Kankuro and mind you Kankuro is a good puppet master and his ninjutsu skills are pretty high....Shino having those bugs gives him a greater advantage ....one of the countermeasure for shino could be some Bug killing spray ...so that the bugs couldn't get near ....hmmm i wonder who'll come up with that....and second one i could think of is....if he ever fights with a mist nin....since they use water alot...i don't think bugs can swim....so fighting over water would be the worst battleground for shino.....but still he rocks among the trees....

Raven
Mon, 03-15-2004, 08:22 AM
He didn't easily beat Kankuro at all. They were evenly matched. He nearly died, remember? He was lucky to win.

Mut
Mon, 03-15-2004, 06:40 PM
yeah, seriously. everyone wants to suck shino's dick for some random reason. he didn't do anything that was truly impressive. kankurou sucked too.

Gods_Son
Mon, 03-15-2004, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by: dazzz
yeah, seriously. everyone wants to suck shino's dick for some random reason. he didn't do anything that was truly impressive. kankurou sucked too.

you caught me, I want to suck Shino's dick. seriously, it's not even that I like him that much, personally I think both Kankuro and Shino are pretty bad also, but he's better than Kiba and his stupid dog, and he doesn't talk as much, so I think he should get more time in the manga than Kiba at least

Mut
Mon, 03-15-2004, 08:21 PM
i like people who talk. that's why i hate hinata.

Gods_Son
Mon, 03-15-2004, 09:28 PM
yea, but it's annoying when people who suck talk trash. Hinata is just annoying whether she's talking or not.

Neji-Cof
Mon, 03-15-2004, 11:18 PM
i would do Hinata no question about it.. do her hard..shes a babe.

Stoopider
Thu, 03-18-2004, 09:30 AM
I think it's very subjective to talk about who is stronger and so what not... But this isn't the thread to talk about it.

jonny-mt
Thu, 03-18-2004, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by: AssertnFailure
yes, but the same goes for the debate about whether zabuza actually is referenced by um, itachi's partner (forget his name). One version acknowledges zabuza as one of their special mist group members, while another doesnt even mention the name zabuza at all

The original quote comes from Chapter 142--Volume 16, p. 134 in the collections.

"Zabuza no kozou wa anata to yariatta to kikimashitaga...?"

Translation: "I heard Zabuza's kid fought with you, but...?"

Oh, and FYI the guy's name is Hoshigaki Kiseme.

[i]Originally posted by: XwingRob
And don't forget that one chapter when Itachi appears for the very first time. His partner mentioned something about Gaara not being there anymore. But the translators weren't sure if that was the correct name or not.
So I can't wait until that's cleared up in the anime.

Yeah, that's understandable there; chances are that it is not Gaara, though. It's spoken by Hoshigaki to Itachi. Here's their conversation for the context. Chapter 139--Volume 16, p. 71 in the collections.

Hoshigaki
"Toriaezu kaimetsu wa manugareta mono no higai wa jindai na you desune."
"For the time being, it seems the damage of those [things or people; probably the former b/c of no kanji but a nice play on words anyway] that avoided the destruction is great.

Itachi
"Eiga wo kiwameta ano sato ga..."
"That village carried luxury to the extreme..."

Hoshigaki
(after a sideways grin at Itachi)
"Gara ni mo nai..."
"That's out of pattern [lit: That's not even in the pattern/design]..."

"Kokyou ni wa yahari miren ga arimasuka? Anatademo..."
"Still have lingering affections for your birthplace? Even you..."

Itachi
"Iiya. Marude nai yo."
"No. Not quite."

Sorry for the length, but the context here is important. The translation is difficult here because the word "gara" is written in katakana (one of the two phonetic alphabets in Japanese), which is something that is usually done for emphasis. The only word in the WWWJDIC that has that exact phonetic spelling means "pattern" or "design" and has kanji...I took from it that Hoshigaki was referring to Itachi's pattern, and the rest of the conversation supports that. In addition, it is highly unlikely that it is Gaara because a) Gaara has an extra 'a' in his name and b) Every time someone is referred to by name in Naruto, the Kanji are used (provided they have kanji). The series simply does not take liberty with names.

Well, that's my Japanese practice for the night. Now the next time someone brings those puppies up, feel free to point 'em to the original context i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

PSJ
Thu, 03-18-2004, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by: dazzz

lol thats not the way i would put it but it would end up at the same place. shino and kankuro are nothing special.