PDA

View Full Version : Full Issue/Chapter Manga Color Project!!

Southpaw
Sat, 03-13-2004, 01:36 PM
A bunch of us have started this project...
If you want to help us out, please go here and sign up
http://magz.blackdaddy.net/forum/

For our work so far here is our gallery
http://www.rcsiforums.com/naruto/gallery/

Thanks

NB... Most of us were collaborating thru www.narutoforums.com, and because it is down right now, we are unable to continue the project... it will start up again once narutoforums is back up!!

[edit]
Progress: Estimated % Done
-Chapter 206 : ~95% Done
-Chapter 207 : ~65% Done

Toruxxx
Sat, 03-13-2004, 02:08 PM
thats some good work u ppl have done there but on chapter 205 one pic of kimimaro has red eyes but on another one she has dark green grey eyes is that supposed to be like that?

Iznogoud
Sat, 03-13-2004, 02:13 PM
white pixels everywhere !

Vagabond
Sat, 03-13-2004, 02:16 PM
wow thats really impressive. Keep up the good work. i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

Oh and a question. Are you gonna work only on the more recent chapters or are you gonna do some of the old ones?

Stoopider
Sat, 03-13-2004, 03:25 PM
Omg. You guys are good.

Mut
Sat, 03-13-2004, 03:31 PM
it looks pretty good, but i think it takes away from the "manga-ness"

Southpaw
Sat, 03-13-2004, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by: Iznogoud
white pixels everywhere !

Which ones?? (Chapter and page plz)
so we can fix it...

Originally posted by: Toruxxx
thats some good work u ppl have done there but on chapter 205 one pic of kimimaro has red eyes but on another one she has dark green grey eyes is that supposed to be like that?

Yeah.. haha... the ones done by angieness all have red eyes... so in 206 kimimaro has red eyes.. i think...

the problem is is that we havnt seen an 'official' picture yet so we're not sure what colour they're supposed to be...

but eyes are easy to fix... we'll do that later

thanks! i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

PSJ
Sat, 03-13-2004, 05:43 PM
ok seriously dude stop this madness! manga shouldnt be in color, if it wa meant to be it would have been done that way in the first place. i mean your work is awesome it looks great but one of the best things with manga is that they are balck and white. shouldnt change that.

Southpaw
Sat, 03-13-2004, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by: Pervert-Sennin Jiraiya
ok seriously dude stop this madness! manga shouldnt be in color, if it wa meant to be it would have been done that way in the first place. i mean your work is awesome it looks great but one of the best things with manga is that they are balck and white. shouldnt change that.

It's not like im forcing you to download it...
Some ppl prefer the coloured version

PSJ
Sat, 03-13-2004, 06:07 PM
i know i just wanted to share my opinion. opinions is what invites discussion and forums are made for discussion.

Iznogoud
Sat, 03-13-2004, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by: Iznogoud
everywhere !
said it already
EVERYWHERE there are white pixels on the lines.
i think your coloring really is bad.
The first page of the chapter from inane's much better.

Vagabond
Sat, 03-13-2004, 10:10 PM
hm i don't see what you're talking about. The coloring looks fine.
Oh and for some reason the url isn't working anymore.

AnbuPawn
Sat, 03-13-2004, 10:36 PM

Then why does Kishimoto color the first few pages of a chapter every now and then? Do you not consider them manga as well? i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

Kyto
Sun, 03-14-2004, 01:37 AM
You guys need to colabarate a bit more when choseing your colors. Create swatches so you guys can all be on the same page when you color. It also wouldn't hurt to all adopt to the same shading style.

winnydapoo
Sun, 03-14-2004, 06:00 AM
Looks awesome, keep it up. How about earlier chapters?

PSJ
Sun, 03-14-2004, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by: AnbuPawn

Then why does Kishimoto color the first few pages of a chapter every now and then? Do you not consider them manga as well? i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

thats not the same thing as coloring the whole chapter and kishimoto's coloring looks way better. this coloring adds to the characters the look bigger and fatter for some reason. kishimotos coloring looks way better.

Raven
Sun, 03-14-2004, 07:15 AM
How does it look better? If anything I'd say you can't tell the difference.

Yondaime
Sun, 03-14-2004, 07:20 AM
i think its pretty good stuff....and i don't think anyone should be saying stuff like..."Don't do this"...its very rude ...

people who did the coloring......good job......and there is always room for improvement.

Southpaw
Sun, 03-14-2004, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by: VagabondLBD
hm i don't see what you're talking about. The coloring looks fine.
Oh and for some reason the url isn't working anymore.

it's still working for me...

Looks awesome, keep it up. How about earlier chapters?

We'll be looking into doing earlier chapters once we finish off the 2...
and if we get more help, we'll prolly be able to start doing 2-3 chapters at a time w/ a couple of artists assigned to each one...

ou guys need to colabarate a bit more when choseing your colors. Create swatches so you guys can all be on the same page when you color. It also wouldn't hurt to all adopt to the same shading style.

agreed... but the skill levels of the ppl in the project are varied...
so we're bound to get inconsistencies... and yea... we're still going over the pics until we can get everything as perfect as possible before the final versions come out...

Iznogoud
Sun, 03-14-2004, 03:16 PM

thats not the same thing as coloring the whole chapter and kishimoto's coloring looks way better. this coloring adds to the characters the look bigger and fatter for some reason. kishimotos coloring looks way better.
Agreed...
But i guess for non pro guys it's not bad...
But i still prefer b&w.
If you were at kishimoto's level i would definitely prefer color though i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

Southpaw
Sun, 03-14-2004, 09:59 PM
hey... does anyone have a link to kishimoto's work??

i would like to see his colouring

thanks

Mut
Sun, 03-14-2004, 10:29 PM
click 1 (http://uweb.ucsb.edu/~s_kim/images/naruto_v02_ch015_147.jpg)
click 2 (http://uweb.ucsb.edu/~s_kim/images/Naruto37-04.jpg)
click 3 (http://www.uweb.ucsb.edu/~s_kim/images/Nar-7-6-02.jpg)
click 4 (http://www.uweb.ucsb.edu/~s_kim/images/Naruto%20-%20127%20-%2001.png) <---might take long to load, 1+mb.
click 5 (http://www.uweb.ucsb.edu/~s_kim/images/Naruto_v16_ch139_p071.jpg)

i think this is what people are talking about. if not, nm. if any of you know for sure that the any of the ones i uploaded are not colored by kishimoto, then say so.

i'll upload more later, if you want.

Southpaw
Tue, 03-16-2004, 08:43 AM
Thanks!! i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

Kumiriko
Tue, 03-16-2004, 01:36 PM
Thats some Damn Fine work. I download all the chapters of the manga. i would love to get all of it colord one of this days. Will have to start storing on cd or something thought

sage_shinobi
Tue, 03-16-2004, 02:15 PM
l love the color for it its very good keep up good work!

L8r
Wed, 03-17-2004, 05:25 AM
wish i was that good...

look really nice keep up the good work

i/expressions/beer.gif i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

lasaire
Wed, 03-17-2004, 08:43 PM

The reason Kishimoto doesn't color the whole chapter is twofold: 1)money 2)time.

It takes a great deal more effort and time to color a whole chapter, and in order to get one chapter out per week, Kishimoto can't take this time.

Notice how American comics are always in color, but almost never come out more than one chapter per month? Directly related to the above.

As for the coloring difference, Kishimoto colors with copic markers, and the colorists on this project use either PSP or photoshop and color digitally. I do agree with the suggestion of making a swatch so that every one will use the same colors.

Southpaw
Thu, 03-18-2004, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by: lasaire
The reason Kishimoto doesn't color the whole chapter is twofold: 1)money 2)time.

It takes a great deal more effort and time to color a whole chapter, and in order to get one chapter out per week, Kishimoto can't take this time.

Notice how American comics are always in color, but almost never come out more than one chapter per month? Directly related to the above.

As for the coloring difference, Kishimoto colors with copic markers, and the colorists on this project use either PSP or photoshop and color digitally. I do agree with the suggestion of making a swatch so that every one will use the same colors.

Yea we're in the process of making a swatch, but we still cant get in contact w/ like... 1/2 the members who were in the project...
i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif

Kyto
Thu, 03-18-2004, 10:55 AM
If I ever ressurect my labtop from the grave, I might consider helping you guys out (seeing as I will have too much free time in the near future).

Here (http://img14.photobucket.com/albums/v42/Kyto1984/gaaracover.jpg)
...and here (http://img14.photobucket.com/albums/v42/Kyto1984/naruto-12-1.jpg)

Tell me if I qualify.

Southpaw
Sun, 03-21-2004, 12:26 PM
Sure...we can use all the help we can get!

could you sign up for an account here tho: http://magz.blackdaddy.net/forum

thanks

DeluxSkillz
Sun, 03-21-2004, 02:45 PM
so are there any tutorials on how to color them in??

sangai
Sun, 03-21-2004, 04:18 PM
well i must say you guys are doing a great job and that ther coloring are great but sometimes the color is real good and then sometimes it just goes flat on the next page like you lost shadow and lighting effect

but keep up the great work its lookin real good

Everon
Mon, 03-22-2004, 02:16 PM
Wow thats really really good.

Kyto
Mon, 03-22-2004, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by: DeluxSkillz
so are there any tutorials on how to color them in??

Well, I have seen coloring tutorials on PSLover.com, but they sucks ass. To be honest, I haven't seen a single coloring tutorial I've liked. To get good, and fast, the answer is simple: practice. This isn't like creating a stone texture or something, it's something far more advanced.

Southpaw
Mon, 03-22-2004, 04:23 PM
Well... I more or less learnt myself, but ive seen a couple of tutorials floating around the net...

Just get very used to the polygonal lasoo tool... it's incredibly useful i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

Southpaw
Mon, 03-22-2004, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by: sangai sakusei
well i must say you guys are doing a great job and that ther coloring are great but sometimes the color is real good and then sometimes it just goes flat on the next page like you lost shadow and lighting effect

but keep up the great work its lookin real good

Yea .. that's cuz different pictures are done by different artists...
all the ones i did have "Done by: Southpaw" under the picture

Uzumaki Naruto
Tue, 03-30-2004, 07:22 PM
man thats some of the best work ive seen so far when it comes to coloring of manga, nice job keep up the good work bc i think thatv u guys could go far with this