PDA

View Full Version : Applying for a Job?

JessiA
Fri, 03-12-2004, 01:11 PM
I've been searching and searching everywhere for a new job, while working at my current part-time job. Everywhere I apply, I make sure that the place I'm intrested is actually hiring before faxing over my resume, or contacting them.

Today, at work, I pick up the phone.
Girl: "Uhm, hello? Is your manager or boss there?"
Me: "Yes they are. May I ask who's calling."
Girl: *gives her name*
Me: "Oh, I see, are you looking to a book a date for your wedding?" I work in the wedding industry.
Girl: "Uhm, no. I sent them a resume from Winsconsin a couple months back, and I was wanting to talk to them."
*uncomfortable silence*
Me: "Hold on, let me get one of them on the line for you."
I hit "Hold"
Me: "This girl sent in a resume from Winsconsin a while back, and wants to talk with you."
Boss 1: "Well, should I get this, or do you wanna talk to her honey?" Boss 1 and Boss 2 are married.
Boss 2: "Well, we're not hiring right now, so..."
Boss 1: *picks up the phone* "Yes, hello. Yes, I did get it, and looked over it. Unfortuneatly, we're not hiring right now. Uh huh, we're kind of a one-man business, you know?"
*hangs up*

PLEASE don't tell me any of you guys apply at a place before actually checking to make sure that that place is ACTUALLY hiring.

Mut
Fri, 03-12-2004, 04:07 PM
everytime i've asked them if they are hiring it's usually a "no, we're not hiring but you can still turn your application in and we will contact you when we're hiring again"

that means "no, leave."

yeah, don't bother applying unless you know for sure that they are hiring.

Gods_Son
Fri, 03-12-2004, 05:31 PM
Or if your tight with a store owner somewhere, they'll usually let you get a job with them. What's wrong with working the phone at a wedding industry, sounds easy. I'll call your work number and ask you to marry me some time.

Wilik
Fri, 03-12-2004, 11:31 PM
Soemtimes its good to turn in an application even tho they arent hireing, cause if you have more skills then one of the people they might possibly fire in the future your resume is already on file with them and they usually check those before asking for more applications.

Midou Ban
Fri, 03-12-2004, 11:53 PM
I know this is off topic but can you delete my account here JessiA. Later Gotwoot. It was fun being a mod here peace i/expressions/sun.gif

Raven
Sat, 03-13-2004, 09:28 AM
If you're desperate enough for a job, it doesn't hurt to send a billion resumes around to various companies. Why wouldn't you apply? There's no reason not to. It's not like it costs you anything.

And if you apply enough, and annoy them enough, they might give you a job just to shut you up. i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

JessiA
Sat, 03-13-2004, 09:26 PM
You can also look like a fool to everyone who works there, like that one girl did.

I've applied at at least 20 different places this month, and all of them I checked the classifieds or their website to make sure they were hiring. And instead of submitting your resume to a bunch of random places that may or may not be hiring, you can always submit it to a staffing agency, which will send your resume to intrested clients/employers (I'm gonna do that on Monday)

My job is fine, and I really love it.. It just doesn't pay enough for me to move out of my dad's house. I've got a kid and a boyfriend living with me! I need my own place. And, considering my dad's not the most considerate person in the world, I'd rather move out sooner than later.

Raven
Sat, 03-13-2004, 09:43 PM
Yeah, of course, apply at places that are hiring, and give your resume to a staffing agency.
But also apply to places that aren't hiring. It can't hurt, you've got nothing to lose, only good can happen from it. And just don't make a fool of yourself by ringing them and sounding like an idiot.

Mut
Sat, 03-13-2004, 09:49 PM
my method for getting a job:

1. turn in app.
2. meet and speak to the manager while turning in app.
3. call them in 2-3 days. and then continue if they don't call you back for interview.

like what raven said, just bug them.