PDA

View Full Version : Sigs: can there be a compromise?

lasaire
Sun, 03-07-2004, 01:45 AM
Ok, so obviously mods really don't want sigs. Ciber's reasons, I believe, as far as slowing down the boards and wasting moderator's time and management, are valid. Cluttering the boards is an opinion, but I can see where a little less might be better, and there are those who agree with ciber rather than me.

There are also those like me, who really want sigs and won't be happy until some compromise is reached. I thought about this for a while. Then, I read this:

Each server costs around $160 a month.

That's alot of money, and I must say hearing that really upped my respect for the guys running GW out of their pockets. That being said, you guys deserve some help with this. We want sigs.

My proposal:

We are now in the process of a sig contest, and when we get finished we will have a fairly sizeable base of sigs which we view as high quality work.

I propose that the top four sigs from the contest, perhaps more if this idea flys, are auctioned off. For $5 a month, or the highest bidder, the person that pays, and ONLY that person, earns the right to have that sig posted with their messages. Furthermore, I also propose we knock the maximum size down to 400x100, and 85kb. Thus, with only a very few people allowed sigs, the sigs themselves smaller, and the sigs made only by experienced people, who know what the file size is and how to keep to it, we reduce clutter, reduce the draw on bandwidth and remove the necessity of mods having to check a million people's sigs.

Going a step further, what if that is an improvement both sides can live with? It helps out the mods with the heavy load of paying for it, reduces their headache, but still allows those who want sigs badly enough to pay for them to have (smaller) sigs. Perhaps, after two months trial run, we could open up requests for sigs again, with a customized sig like the ones made in the thread I started, available to those who want it for $2 a month. With only a few, experienced, approved people making sigs, mods wouldn't have to patrol for ones that are too large, and a limited number willing to pay for them would mean only a few people's sigs would clutter the boards.

Obviously, not everyone, in fact, probably most, are not willing to pay for sigs. Thus, reducing headache and clutter that bothers the mods so much.

However, those that truly want sigs, the ones so vocal (myself definately included) in the recent war about them, are most likely willing to pay for them.

If this is a way to keep the users happier, while helping the mods out both in workload and in the financial burden of maintaining the server, I think this might be the only viable solution.

Kagari
Sun, 03-07-2004, 01:56 AM
It's a good idea to pitch in and help those running the board, but the price can't be too steep. Most wouldn't be willing, or able, to pay too much. But a few here and there, with a couple bucks a month or something, maybe it could work.

Vagabond
Sun, 03-07-2004, 02:05 AM
I like your idea but you could even cut the price down to $1.
There's thousands of members registered on these forums. If 160 of them were willing to pay 1 dollar (only $1) a month then the bill will be covered.

Suede
Sun, 03-07-2004, 02:56 AM
Right now Gotwoot is in the middle of a very big change (im sure you realized this by now). This idea seems like a decent one and we'll be looking into it, right now however most all our time and resources are on getting the new Gotwoot online. Thanks for the post.

rEkKaShInObI
Sun, 03-07-2004, 05:58 AM
A bill or a price tag for an image could scare the gotwoot community away=D
and your redecorating gotwoot scared people away already hahahah...

itachi_
Sun, 03-07-2004, 08:55 AM
Well, lasaire you've gotta be obsessed by sigs, who ´would pay for a god damn sig each month it's insane, when you can have free sigs with no maximum size on other forums... well It's always good with ideas but...

JessiA
Sun, 03-07-2004, 10:00 AM
Lasaire, that sounds like a good idea.

Unfortuneately, at this time, I don't think there will be anything along those lines going on. PM me and I'll tell you why.

Naruto
Sun, 03-07-2004, 11:55 AM
i dont want to pay for a sig if u meant this ...

ComeComeParadise
Sun, 03-07-2004, 12:17 PM
I don't know about paying for sigs either...I personally don't care about graphic sigs, but you people seem to like them a lot, so I am for the happiness of the majority, bring back the sigs!

oni roh
Sun, 03-07-2004, 03:11 PM
thats a good idea for helping out the mods and GW as a whole but most won't be willing to pay for sigs, most forums have them, before the change they had the sizes limited and it wasn't so bad if you ask me but i'm not a mod so i wouldn't know. But i've been on forums where people have sigs that are ungodly huge and its just annoying, even for the people that like to browse the forums. perhaps....

As for the hassle of checking them maybe get a few more volunteer mods to help out around the forums.

Its a wild idea but maybe you could have some kind of Registering system like most online gaming communities have, people pay so much a month (like was said) and have more access/privilages then the people who browse for free. maybe it could be something like you pay so much a months and have access to a part of the site that nobody else has, or higher quality products, faster downloads, getting them before everyone else, sigs, private forum, etc. I've also seen that in other forums and sometimes it works out pretty well. And it would also help a good deal for the people who run this all.

Also like was said, if you have some kind of thing like a raffle for the people who donate it would encourage more people to donate. I don't know what kind of hassle having sigs is but most other places have them, and there are definitly ways for the admins to benifit from this is they worked it out right.

Just some ideas.

JessiA
Sun, 03-07-2004, 04:05 PM
The idea isn't to have EVERYONE pay a subscription fee.

The idea was to have the winners of the sig contests be priveledged to have the option of having the graphics signatures, for a nominal fee. Until the next signature contest or whatever.

lasaire
Sun, 03-07-2004, 04:50 PM
Right, JessiA. Or we winners could forgo sigs in exchange for raffling them off to the highest bidder, who gets to use them.

Oni roh, I think your registering idea is also a good one. Fanfiction.net has something similar: regged users get alot more features than plain members. Perhaps regged users could get sigs, access to a private forum, and other special considerations. I'd go for it.

AlbinoFury
Sun, 03-07-2004, 05:58 PM
btw since this forum as of late is getting the highest traffic and this seems somewhat on topic, voting for the 2nd round of said tournament is going on right now here http://www.littlecooldude.com/sigX/ go vote for your fav, people churned out some quality work this weeki/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif!

r3n
Sun, 03-07-2004, 06:07 PM
i dont think ppl wud pay for sigs. theyd jst move to another naruto forum tbh

Ciber
Sun, 03-07-2004, 11:10 PM
We have something coming for those of you that want to display your "Art" so badly.

Yes, it'll be free.

jing
Mon, 03-08-2004, 12:48 AM
Does the people who won the sig contest get to use their own sig?

rEkKaShInObI
Mon, 03-08-2004, 01:45 AM
Originally posted by: r3n
i dont think ppl wud pay for sigs. theyd jst move to another naruto forum tbh

Agreed.

Legendary Nin
Mon, 03-08-2004, 09:51 AM
Donations.That's what it basiclly is.What makes it suck though,they are only accepted through paypal.

Xollence
Mon, 03-08-2004, 02:59 PM
I don't understand how sigs slow down the server if the images are hosted elsewhere.

JessiA
Mon, 03-08-2004, 04:50 PM
Xollence, it's not that sigs slow down the server. The old forum was slowing down the server.

Signatures have been removed for other reasons.

Vagabond
Mon, 03-08-2004, 07:32 PM
Yeah i hate paypal. You guys should have some neutral mailbox or something where people can send you money. I have a card but i've never liked using over the internet.

rEkKaShInObI
Mon, 03-08-2004, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by: VagabondLBD
Yeah i hate paypal. You guys should have some neutral mailbox or something where people can send you money. I have a card but i've never liked using over the internet.

Yea, sometimes you can get jacked.

Xollence
Mon, 03-08-2004, 11:00 PM
What if users have the option of viewing or not viewing other users' sigs?

rEkKaShInObI
Mon, 03-08-2004, 11:20 PM
Think of it this way

1. You can have the good gotwoot back with signatures, and the whole 9 yards and bring traffic and people to talk about stuff

2. stay ghetto and have no sigs, no avatars, the whole 9 yards of crap, and you get the point..