PDA

View Full Version : selling fansubs

Cecildragon
Sat, 03-06-2004, 06:32 AM
I just want to know what people think of others selling fan sub on the net such as on e-bay. I ask this cause I just ran into this. I won auction for Hhajime no ippo on DVD. I download the whole series before and watched that why I decided to try and buy it on eBay thru auction and I know it is licensed here in the US because of this site and others as well as my friend got a demo DVD with a trailer for it in some magazine he bought. The seller quote told me his and he is giving me a refund This title is still not out yet in the USA and I am sure you know...Even licensed it is still unavailable in the USA" but I don't think he or she under stand that it illegal to sell these especial since they did not change the at all subbing from the infusion subs. he I see this as very unfair to people at infusion that subbed the anime for us fans. Most of us agree that the US subtitles and dubs suck. But I think if we support people who fan-sub and put all this work into this and doing this for us to enjoy for free. who know Some of these companies may see this and put more effort into how they sub things or dub then and improve there quality or maybe even higher some of the people who make these fan subs jobs and pay them for there work. I know most of this is wishful thinking. I just want to see what most people think of this. Because right now I have the power to have this person band from using eBay because it is an illegal copy. The question is what is the right thing I do I guess end the illegal copy back and get my money back or report this to e-bay and have there person band and more then likely still get my money back.

complich8
Sat, 03-06-2004, 06:57 AM
wow .... I wonder how hard it'd be to implement a simple spellchecker on these forums ....

light broiling aside though (i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif) ... as a fansubber, I'm adamantly opposed to anyone making money off what we do. We all do a lot of work, and we give it to the community. It's kind of an insult to us when someone goes and sells our work, and it's an insult to you when they try to sell to you exactly what you could download for free.

In the case of a series like ippo, which is licensed, our legal grounds as fansubbers are at best extremely shaky. But we don't make money off it at least, and don't support it. If we did, we'd be classified not as enthusiasts but as pirates. Hardcore hk-dvd-producing dvd-ripping shitty-subbing pirates.

I can't agree that all dubs and official subs suck though. I've seen a couple tolerable dubs (though admittedly few and far between) and most anime dvds I've seen have subs at least on the same caliber as the best fansubs of the same. Sometimes it doesn't hold true, but usually you'll see more solid and consistent editing and naming than the average fansub (especially compared to the early days of digisubbing). And the video quality on real dvd releases can't be beat (usually).

I'd do both: get your money back, and report them to ebay. If they're offering, it's because they don't want you to report them, but make sure you secure your refund and then do. It'll stop them from selling fansubs in the future, or at least make them work harder and think twice about it...

Meanwhile, either download the fansubs (which you said you already did, you said) or wait for the r1 dvd releases... otherwise you're just wasting your money on stuff you can get for free and with no positive sides at all.

Munsu
Mon, 03-08-2004, 01:56 PM
I see the downside in selling fansubs... but as many things... some people dont have the luxury of high-speed internet or the time to download all the fansubs they want to see... if they are willing to pay for someone to provide them with what they want then I don't see the problem with selling fansubs...

On the other side it might hurt fansubbers if people start selling their releases because the distribution of their releases will become even larger and maybe fall prey to some companies that oppose fansubbing...

BadGuy
Tue, 03-09-2004, 10:30 AM
I think that if you want something and it isn't out and you need a fansub then I can bet you have some friend or what not someplace WITH a high speed connex that will download it for you. I think commercially exploiting the fansubbing community is a horrible thing. If you auction off downloaded things you are just evil.

Not having an uber 1377 internet connection is hardly an issue anymore besides I have seen ppl on 56k downloading gigs and gigs of anime. I can't imagine that you can't download it through other means than your own connection.

Selling anime commercially is just bad.

GhostKaGe
Sat, 03-27-2004, 10:38 AM
i don't agree with selling fan subs its a total rip off and as compich8 said offencive to the suber and the fansnot to mention totally unethical

As for all official dubs and subs suckin thats true in general but not all cases take cowboy bebop in my opinion the dub was better. English better suited the style of the show although the editing sucked a bit

the spell check things spot on aswell just look at minei/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif

lionheart1012000
Sat, 03-27-2004, 08:37 PM
i say selling fansubs is completly wrong. people who do that should be killed in a non humanly manner.

hiddenpookie
Wed, 04-07-2004, 09:09 PM
hey if ur short of cash what can u do?^^

Lego
Thu, 04-08-2004, 01:45 AM
hey if ur short of cash what can u do?^^

Ive been short on cash many times, but wouldn't sell fansubs. You see most fansubs go for 10 bucks, or something like that because the seller usually knows he has a "hot" product.

Its also the idiots that buy these fansubs, and don't read DVD-R, and assume its a real DVD.

But on the other side you have the HK DVD companies such as : FX,MI,AC . FX deals in R1 rips, the stamped CD's , gatefolds, boxes etc.

It seems that the people makeing big money for them are the HK distributors, who many times just lift a fansub script.

complich8
Thu, 04-08-2004, 02:50 AM
something that really bothers me about selling fansubs ... even if you aren't misrepresenting them... even if you're saying "this is a dvd-r full of fansubs" a lot of buyers won't understand that. Just like lego said, they'll assume it's a "real" dvd, and that by spending 8 or 10 bucks on fansub dvds they've bought legit copies of the stuff, and don't have any reason to buy the commercial release dvds.

Bad stuff.

Lego
Thu, 04-08-2004, 04:39 AM
Something else scary comp is the rise in HK DVD sales. Hell, i even wonder sometimes if DVD rip groups buy HK DVD sets, preferably anime-xtreme and rip them.

Don't get me wrong im not doubting that they own the legit R1 DVD's.

BadGuy
Thu, 04-08-2004, 07:38 AM
It's a harsh world. And it's kind of hard to stop things like this. I think the urge to just download it is alot bigger than buying it (it being fansubs not the official dvd ofcourse).

it's insulting it's annoying it's making ppl who haven't done ANYTHING at all except leeching to make those fansubs money and apparently a good bag of money too. SOmething that makes someone money is just hard to stop.

Lego
Fri, 04-09-2004, 06:02 AM
it's insulting it's annoying it's making ppl who haven't done ANYTHING at all except leeching to make those fansubs money and apparently a good bag of money too. SOmething that makes someone money is just hard to stop

I agree with that. There are some people that never talk,never do anything, just download, download,download.

Then you either see them on ebay or some other auction site.

Its mostly the same people who keep coming in every week and yelling WHERES NARUTO #$#$# over and over till they get it or we ban them.

Theres no way to stop the selling of fansubs, if we went into the legal area, we could get nailed to.

But it does kinda irritate me that some guy is selling off a prodcut that people do for free in their spare time.

Minako-chan
Fri, 04-16-2004, 07:39 PM
I personnally have to agree with compy on this one (/me glomplich8s teh complich8) because fansubs are supposed to be FREE (technically these kinds of fansubs are called digisubs...so I will be calling them that...) Digisubbers have a helluva lot of trouble getting this stuff to you each release, so for optimal results, pls don't sell them, just support them by stopping people who do sell them and (for you with more money than most) BUY THE DVDS!!!

EDIT: And make sure they aren't HK DVDs for christ sake! Lego has a damned good point...

Lego
Sat, 04-17-2004, 06:06 AM
EDIT: And make sure they aren't HK DVDs for christ sake! Lego has a damned good point...

I see it all the time, people on ebay tout OFFICAL SET, and CLEARENCE ITEM, etc and its a HK DVD set.

For n00bs, HK Dvd's are usually made in mainland china and are basically rips of anime. Some are R1 rips, such as one of the big HK companies will buy the whole series on DVD, rip it, and slap it on DVD-R's with fancy printing.

Or theres the R2 rip with fansubs on a fancy DVD, which is more prevalant.

Then we have the TV ripped, shitty subbed ones, which are gungrave and etc that come out over and over.

So be careful.

Minako-chan
Sat, 04-17-2004, 11:04 AM
Indeed...also, if at all possible, avoid ebay for anime. Use RightStuf (or somewhere like it) for R1, CDJapan for R2, Sasugabooks for Jap Manga and that about does it. So... in conclusion, avoid Ebay at all costs unless you want either bootlegged dvds or digisub dvds

complich8
Sat, 04-17-2004, 07:08 PM
actually there are quite a few legit resellers on ebay. I've gotten 3 or 4 things from there, and as long as you're careful about what you're getting and know what to look for (ie: pictures of packaging that includes the US distributor's logos, appropriate numbers of episodes per dvd, the statement that they are region 1 dvds, resellers with good reputations and typically other legit looking auctions) it's a fine place to get stuff.

The last 2 things I've gotten off ebay were box sets of dvds .... one of them was a complete set of rahxephon which I saved about $40 off retail prices on. The other was a boxset karekano, which again was about 40 bucks off retail.

But if you're an ordinary consumer unable to distinguish between a legit r1 release and a non-legit, imported hk, or other undesirable one, ebay's definitely not for you. If you find yourself easily succumbing to bidding wars to try to get stuff, I'd also recommend staying clear of ebay. My strategy is to find the retail price, set some nice solid number as what I'm willing to pay for it, enter that as a bid, and wait for confirmation or outbid notification emails.

Lego
Sun, 04-18-2004, 04:15 AM
. My strategy is to find the retail price, set some nice solid number as what I'm willing to pay for it, enter that as a bid, and wait for confirmation or outbid notification emails.

Ive done that before also. I picked up my trigun box set off ebay for around 80 bucks including shipping. Legit R1 set, saved me a pretty nice amount of cash. Just be careful what you bid on.

Kamui no jitsu
Sat, 05-08-2004, 12:57 AM
I've seen fansubs in those import anime stores before but mainly in the comic book stores around here.

Kitty
Sat, 05-08-2004, 03:53 AM
i've made it standard procedure of mine to injure those who sell fansubs. i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

anyways, be back in june, only then, the pud returns.

<----pud